Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Discendo Vox posted:

Mordin, here are some questions for you

1. Who is currently in the embassy?
2. Who was in the embassy previously?
3. How does the US determine who has legal control of assets held by a foreign state?
4. What is an embassy?
5. What did the US actually do with regard to the Venezuelan consulates and embassy?

6. What's the source you're citing here?
7. How are other sources covering the same events?
8. Is there corroboration for the specific claims made by the source you're using?
9. What does this source's profile image depict?

there hasn't been much mainstream coverage of the embassy, because it is genuinely embarrassing to the us establishment. what coverage there has been has been really low quality.

this is from wapo for instance, about an incident where a guaido supporter broke into the embassy and barricaded himself in for a few hours (trashing the room in the process) before the dc cops came in and hauled him off.

https://twitter.com/Marissa_Jae/status/1123699156869103623

now, there is video of this man in the embassy, and video of the secret service hauling him off (see thread below if you really care). in order to fake this, people would have had to impersonate federal agents while being watched by the secret service. the wapo reporter would rather ignore all video evidence to take the word of this man at face value.

https://twitter.com/RealAlexRubi/status/1123536909870010368

so in this instance, who is better, WaPo or alternative media?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
lol apparently we transferred the embassy from ROC control to PRC control upon recognition and then set up separate Definitely Not An Embassy institutions between Taiwan and the US

edit: DC cops entered the embassy?! Violation of sovereignty! :argh:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 2, 2019

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Zurakara posted:

It's up to the government to decide who's an ambassador of their government and who isn't.
It ain't a loving hard question.

And the USA considers Guaidó to be the head of the government of Venezuela. So according to you the USA should accept whomever Guaidó picks as ambassador. It ain't a loving hard question, after all.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreyjoyBastard posted:

lol apparently we transferred the embassy from ROC control to PRC control upon recognition and then set up separate Definitely Not An Embassy institutions between Taiwan and the US

edit: DC cops entered the embassy?! Violation of sovereignty! :argh:

the cops were probably invited in by one of the venezuelan governments. the question is which one (and if they did it at the behest of the protesters or the remnants of the maduro delegation, did they implicitly recognized the maduro government as legitimate owners of the embassy)?

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Rust Martialis posted:

And the USA considers Guaidó to be the head of the government of Venezuela. So according to you the USA should accept whomever Guaidó picks as ambassador. It ain't a loving hard question, after all.
This only works in a world where you think the US Government should be allowed to dictate reality. Which, of course, you do. How does it feel when all the other babies make fun of you for having the softest skull in the nursery?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

GoluboiOgon posted:

the cops were probably invited in by one of the venezuelan governments. the question is which one (and if they did it at the behest of the protesters or the remnants of the maduro delegation, did they implicitly recognized the maduro government as legitimate owners of the embassy)?

I was being snarky obvs but yeah that partially answers my question as to how to actually resolve embassy disputes: the recognized government can allow local law enforcement to do things.

I don't really have a strong opinion about the shitshow, I mostly just find the fiddly little international-law-adjacent questions it raises interesting.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

my initial response was "lol embassy protectors" but uh how DO you handle a dispute over embassy control anyway

What if the tables were turned and Team MUD were holed up in the embassy (the ambassador flipped sides and had the locks changed in the middle of the night or whatever)? Would the only solution actually be Team PSUV blockading the place or sending in Venezuelan soldiers or cops? What if the US authorities don't particularly want that? The embassy is foreign territory, but couldn't they go "lol no we ain't letting your goons storm it"? SHOULD they, in that universe or in this?

The governing law is the 1961 Vienna Convention on diplomatic relations, subject to interpretation and caselaw (or equivalent precedent) in the "receiving state," the place where the embassy is. Both the receiving state and the sending state can unilaterally reject members of the mission, or the mission. An embassy is not "foreign territory," the Simpsons lied. Embassies and diplomatic staff just have specific, very strong protections under international law. This also comes with a lot of restrictions; under the scenario you describe, the receiving state would be obligated under Article 22 to protect the property and its functions.

In this case, Maduro terminated the embassy and all of Venezuela's consulates, so pretty much none of the normal protections apply - it's effectively just a piece of real estate owned by the Venezuelan state. Of course, that still makes it an asset, like the other ones we've discussed, albeit one with symbolic importance (also its Georgetown property value is really high, though nothing compared to some other DC embassies).

Additionally, the US rejected the credentials of the diplomatic staff, which is also something they can do unilaterally with any or no reason under the Convention at Article 9. Even if the embassy were still considered an embassy, the "protection force" couldn't be made up of US nationals under the convention.

None of the above law is some sort of weird calvinball interpretation of the law that only the US uses, it's how all such properties are governed. The Maduro regime gave access to "protection force" members (some of whom they've been shipping back and forth from Venezuela with their media teams). They've been holding press conferences since early April to english language coverage of the event via the same channels as always. It's been getting more publicity because Vecchio tried to give a speech out front yesterday.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 2, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Zurakara posted:

This only works in a world where you think the US Government should be allowed to dictate reality. Which, of course, you do. How does it feel when all the other babies make fun of you for having the softest skull in the nursery?

I mean it's a weird extension of the question of what the US should do about disputed bank accounts etc (or something that hasn't really come up in Venezuela but has in Egypt: should the US follow through on weapon sales et al to an illegitimate government? is that really noninvolvement?)

Maduro's hold is currently still firm enough that there's not really a dispute as to who the de facto president is though.

edit thanks Discendo that was exactly the sort of nerdery I was hoping for

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
How long have people been living in front of the embassy?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Silver Nitrate posted:

How long have people been living in front of the embassy?

the 'embassy protectors' have been in there since April 10, when the embassy staff's visas expired

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Zurakara posted:

The US government gets to determine who it thinks is the Venezuelan head of state, just like every other government does. I could have said Denmark or Colombia or any of the dozens of other countries who also recognize Guaidó as the legitimate head of state. Or for that matter China and Russia, they get to decide too.

Seriously is this too complex an idea or something?

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 2, 2019

Zidrooner
Jul 20, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GreyjoyBastard posted:

my initial response was "lol embassy protectors"

Seems like an effective act of civil disobedience to me

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Zidrooner posted:

Seems like an effective act of civil disobedience to me

Seems to be! The terminology is pretty overtly propagandistic but it's been three weeks and the embassy is still not in the hands of a MUD delegation.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Rust Martialis posted:

The US government gets to determine who it thinks is the Venezuelan head of state, just like every other government does. I could have said Denmark or Colombia or any of the dozens of other countries who also recognize Guaidó as the legitimate head of state.

Seriously is this too complex an idea or something?

So your saying the UK could, in theory, forcibly evict our ambassodor in favor of Vermin Supreme's choice if Corbyn gets elected?

Zidrooner
Jul 20, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GoluboiOgon posted:

[...]

so in this instance, who is better, WaPo or alternative media?

Probably won't get an answer from DV seeing as how you failed to start your post by sucking them off and telling them how smart you think they are

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Can the Venezuelan interim president appoint legitimate ambassadors? Thought the sole purpose of the position was to call an election.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Raccooon posted:

Can the Venezuelan interim president appoint ambassadors? Thought the sole purpose of the position was to call an election.

Rather predictably the (Maduro-controlled) national election council has declined to organize the necessary election.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Raccooon posted:

Can the Venezuelan interim president appoint legitimate ambassadors? Thought the sole purpose of the position was to call an election.

Since his coup failed, absolutely no way he can.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Mischievous Mink posted:

I mean he can appoint people they just have no connection to the institutions of Venezuela.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Mischievous Mink posted:

Uh, yeah, he can. He's still interim President.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Raccooon posted:

I mean he can appoint people they just have no connection to the institutions of Venezuela.

The Venezuelan National Assembly apparently being from Mars or Upper Volta.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Rust Martialis posted:

The Venezuelan National Assembly apparently being from Mars or Upper Volta.

Honest question when did they decide this?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

kidkissinger posted:

Honest question when did they decide this?

Honest clarifying question back: are you asking when Guaidó became nominally acting or interim or whatever President? Or something else? It's late here and I'm not sure what you're asking.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Rust Martialis posted:

Honest clarifying question back: are you asking when Guaidó became nominally acting or interim or whatever President? Or something else? It's late here and I'm not sure what you're asking.

My understanding is that he declared himself president, but I don't understand how that claim has legitimacy.

Zidrooner
Jul 20, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kidkissinger posted:

My understanding is that he declared himself president, but I don't understand how that claim has legitimacy.

The NA declared the president's post abandoned on account of him allegedly rigging the election and stacking the supreme court, and in case of abandonment the presidency falls to the NA president. People ITT have claimed that the declaration of abandonment is analogous to impeachment, which the NA would also be entitled to declare for no reason at all.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

kidkissinger posted:

Well there is the constitutional question which we've gone in circles on forever but there is also, as has been discussed on this page, the notion of legitimacy as reflected by external recognition. For example, the first nation to recognize the USA as a sovereign nation was Morocco. These sorts of things are incredibly important and have been since the birth of the nation state as a concept. Therefore part of Guiado's legitimacy (or perhaps better put, Maduro's illegitimacy) stems from the sorts of formal declarations that we've seen from most European and South American nations. I think a lot of people here have handwaved away the huge number of nations who side with the National Assembly's interpretation of the constitution as well as the fact of Supreme Court's own illegitimacy.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Zurakara posted:

So your saying the UK could, in theory, forcibly evict our ambassodor in favor of Vermin Supreme's choice if Corbyn gets elected?

I'm assuming by "us" you mean American, in which case yes, but there are restrictions on Vermin Supreme's choice of ambassador- they'd need to be an American national, for instance. And it'd be contingent on recognizing Vermin Supreme's government as sovereign, with all the glory that entails.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Discendo Vox posted:

The governing law is the 1961 Vienna Convention on diplomatic relations, subject to interpretation and caselaw (or equivalent precedent) in the "receiving state," the place where the embassy is. Both the receiving state and the sending state can unilaterally reject members of the mission, or the mission. An embassy is not "foreign territory," the Simpsons lied. Embassies and diplomatic staff just have specific, very strong protections under international law. This also comes with a lot of restrictions; under the scenario you describe, the receiving state would be obligated under Article 22 to protect the property and its functions.

In this case, Maduro terminated the embassy and all of Venezuela's consulates, so pretty much none of the normal protections apply - it's effectively just a piece of real estate owned by the Venezuelan state. Of course, that still makes it an asset, like the other ones we've discussed, albeit one with symbolic importance (also its Georgetown property value is really high, though nothing compared to some other DC embassies).

Additionally, the US rejected the credentials of the diplomatic staff, which is also something they can do unilaterally with any or no reason under the Convention at Article 9. Even if the embassy were still considered an embassy, the "protection force" couldn't be made up of US nationals under the convention.

None of the above law is some sort of weird calvinball interpretation of the law that only the US uses, it's how all such properties are governed. The Maduro regime gave access to "protection force" members (some of whom they've been shipping back and forth from Venezuela with their media teams). They've been holding press conferences since early April to english language coverage of the event via the same channels as always. It's been getting more publicity because Vecchio tried to give a speech out front yesterday.

if it is just a piece of property owned by maduro's government, why can't the maduro government authorize us citizens to reside there? they aren't diplomatic staff, but they should get the normal property protections.

also, i would argue that the former venezuelan embassy isn't being treated as just another piece of dc real estate, as the secret service are in charge. they are in charge of protecting embassies in the us, if the embassy had reverted to normal property the dc metro police would be heading things.

the root problem is that you can't have a comprehensible policy when there are two competing claims to government legitimacy. recognizing a government as legitimate that doesn't control a single acre of territory has led to this standoff.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

GoluboiOgon posted:

if it is just a piece of property owned by maduro's government, why can't the maduro government authorize us citizens to reside there? they aren't diplomatic staff, but they should get the normal property protections.

also, i would argue that the former venezuelan embassy isn't being treated as just another piece of dc real estate, as the secret service are in charge. they are in charge of protecting embassies in the us, if the embassy had reverted to normal property the dc metro police would be heading things.

the root problem is that you can't have a comprehensible policy when there are two competing claims to government legitimacy. recognizing a government as legitimate that doesn't control a single acre of territory has led to this standoff.

If it's just a piece of property it's still a government asset in which case the same sovereignty recognition applies. If the opposition government goes through the legal process of reopening it (which I don't believe they've done yet because of the occupation), then the Article 22 obligation would still apply. I can't tell if it would apply in advance based on the convention, but the protesters' presence on the property would already be unlawful, same as if they occupied some random person's house.

There's a whole separate set of clauses that could also be invoked whereby the protesters are basically acting on the assumption that the property is still an embassy, in which case Maduro's closure would cause a new set of problems and let the US evict them.

Secret Service can still be involved without it being an embassy, but they are likely there because it was previously and will in the future function as an embassy property. DC Metro is also involved.

The root problem is that people are occupying the space and serving as human shields for the purpose of Maduro's propaganda.

Generally, I should note that I only knew like two thirds of this before I went and read a bunch of documentation of how the convention works this afternoon- I'm not trying to hold myself out as an international law expert, and it's possible I'm missing things. but (and I'm not referring to you specifically GoluboiOgon) "Lol the law doesn't matter the US just does whatever" isn't accurate, and framing it that way when consuming state media is a great way to get taken for a ride.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 3, 2019

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Discendo Vox posted:

If it's just a piece of property it's still a government asset in which case the same sovereignty recognition applies. If the opposition government goes through the process of reopening it (which I don't believe they've done yet because of the occupation), then the Article 22 obligation would still apply. I can't tell if it would apply in advance based on the convention, but the protesters' presence on the property would already be unlawful, same as if they occupied some random person's house.

There's a whole separate set of clauses that could also be invoked whereby the protesters are basically acting on the assumption that the property is still an embassy, in which case Maduro's closure would cause a new set of problems and let the US evict them.

Secret Service can still be involved without it being an embassy, but they are likely there because it was previously and will in the future function as an embassy property. DC Metro is also involved.

The root problem is that people are occupying the space and serving as human shields for the purpose of Maduro's propaganda.

Generally, I should note that I only knew like two thirds of this before I went and read a bunch of documentation of how the convention works this afternoon- I'm not trying to hold myself out as an international law expert, and it's possible I'm missing things. but (and I'm not referring to you specifically GoluboiOgon) "Lol the law doesn't matter the US just does whatever" isn't accurate, and framing it that way when consuming state media is a great way to get taken for a ride.

if the us can legally evict the protestors, why haven't they so far? now they seem to be stopping people from bringing food in, in an attempt to starve them out. (like they charged someone with assault for trying to throw bread into the embassy) if the cops felt they had a legal justification, why don't they just arrest everyone for trespassing? i have no idea about the legality, but the secret service is certainly not behaving like they have an ironclad legal basis on their side here.

calling non-violent protesters "human shields for propaganda" is certantly a take. were the montgomery sit ins also "human shields for soviet propaganda?" even if you disagree with the politics of their decision, they are risking arrest and assault of their own volition, they could walk out at any time. by calling them human shields, you deny these people any sort of agency, as if telesur was some sort of mind-control ray.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Bloomberg reporting more details on the events of the 30th. Their sources are blaming confusion in communication and the unpopularity of Leopoldo Lopez for the failure of the uprising.

The article also mentions key members of the Maduro government being in on it.

The head of SEBIN
The defense minister
The president of the Supreme Court
The head of the Presidential Guard

quote:

Maybe Venezuela’s most famous political prisoner, Leopoldo Lopez, was the thread that unraveled it all.

The overthrow that sputtered began when opposition lawmaker Juan Guaido tried to spark an uprising in Caracas on Tuesday, standing not only with masked soldiers who had defected but Lopez, his mentor and a cult figure in some circles. That dramatic turn sent a signal that this wasn’t mere posturing. To many watching, it seemed the opposition plan to replace President Nicolas Maduro was finally moving swiftly forward.

But it turns out that Lopez’s first appearance in public in years might actually have had the opposite effect and helped doom a deal two months in the making. It was a surprise to some in the Maduro regime who had, after talks with the opposition, agreed to take part in a handover of power. They consider Lopez an unreliable hothead and that contributed to their decision to pull out, some insiders said, along with the fact that they hadn’t been given any warning about the hastily organized event.

The Trump administration and Guaido’s team are still trying to figure out what went wrong. Whether Lopez was a killer straw is just one riddle for them. Lopez himself said late Thursday there shouldn’t have been any confusion. He told reporters that before he was freed from house arrest Tuesday, he had been speaking for weeks with “commanders, generals, representatives of different branches of the armed forces and police.”

The U.S. is pointing to the breadth of the failed plot as evidence that, no matter how badly it went, Maduro’s days are numbered with the country having plunged into dysfunction and the economy in a shambles. “This was just the tip of the iceberg,” said a senior administration official who asked not to be named. Many close to Maduro were in on the endgame, the official said, and their eagerness to send him packing shows how isolated he is.

Failure, though, exacts a price. The question in Washington and Caracas is how high. One Venezuelan with ties to people in the opposition described them as now “paralyzed.”

Any way it’s sliced, the bust of what Guaido called Operation Liberty is a major setback, said Rocio San Miguel, president of the watchdog group Control Ciudadano. “The opposition took a step backward with the military,” which the opposition needs to win over to succeed. “Guaido appearing with Lopez at a single point in the city with a few dozen soldiers and no major firepower showed their weakness.”

Lopez’s clandestine release from house arrest by the feared Sebin intelligence agency was but one step in a complex transition negotiated with top aides to Maduro, not all of whom were speaking to one another, according to people in Washington and Caracas familiar with the negotiations and who insisted on anonymity because of the sensitivity of the talks.

And within hours, the deal between the opposition and the Maduro camp was dead. Lopez ultimately sought refuge in the Spanish ambassador’s residence in Caracas, emerging briefly Thursday to talk to reporters. U.S. officials expressed fury at the Venezuelans close to Maduro who they believe double-crossed them.

Those singled out by National Security Adviser John Bolton -- the defense minister, the supreme court president and the head of the presidential guard -- were central players in a large cast discussing how to abandon Maduro and recognize Guaido as the interim president, according to the people familiar with the negotiations.

Lopez was released because the Sebin intelligence chief, General Manuel Christopher Figuera, was fully on board, the people said. As part of the arrangement, Figuera’s wife flew to safety in the U.S. on Sunday. On Tuesday night, after Figuera released a letter explaining his decision, Maduro replaced him as intelligence chief. Figuera has left Venezuela, according to two opposition officials, though they said they don’t where he has gone.

In trying to explain where things went wrong, Secretary of State Micheal Pompeo blamed the Russians who, he said, intervened at the last minute. Maduro had got wind of the deal a day earlier and when Guaido and Lopez appeared at the base, the besieged president was rushed into a bunker and planned to escape to Cuba, according to two people familiar with the situation. Russia told him to stay put, Pompeo said. Officials in Russia and Cuba have denied it as has Maduro.

“Many of us thought, as the weeks went by, that it was astonishing Maduro hadn’t discovered it already but that may be because so many on the inside wanted it to succeed,” one person familiar with the matter said. “They believe Maduro began to get an understanding of what was happening on the 29th and they had to move on the 30th or it would all collapse.”

One Venezuelan involved said he blamed Lopez for “unilaterally” insisting on appearing in public on Tuesday morning. He said Lopez pushed for it and Guaido relented.

Other speculation falls on Defense Minister Vladimir Padrino Lopez who, according to one person close to the situation, was engaged in the negotiations while informing Maduro and his Russian and Cuban allies of the talks. The defense minister was with Maduro when the president gave a speech at the military academy in Caracas Thursday.

The other two key officials -- Maikel Moreno, president of the supreme court, and Ivan Rafael Hernandez Dala, head of both the presidential guard and of military counterintelligence -- were readier to make the transition work, that person said. Those two, Figuera and Padrino are among the individuals who have been sanctioned by the U.S., where their assets have been blocked.

But it may be that many more balked. There was confusion over who would make the first move, according to a person close to the situation. It could be that there were so many participants that one hand often didn’t know what the other was doing.

The talks began when Venezuelans with links to top officials in the regime and the opposition offered to act as bridges. At least one of those intermediaries is under U.S. sanctions and was seeking leniency, three people familiar with the deal said.

U.S. officials have said repeatedly that senior Venezuelan officials willing to shift their allegiance to Guaido would be removed from various sanctions. The U.S. has led more than 50 countries in recognizing Guaido since January as interim president because Maduro re-election last year was rigged, rendering it invalid.

Elliott Abrams, the State Department’s special envoy for Venezuela, told a Venezuelan television station Wednesday that “a majority of the high command were talking with the Supreme Court and Juan Guaido about a change in government with the departure of Maduro and with guarantees for the military.”

He said the negotiations had created a 15-point document that included a “dignified exit” for Maduro and recognition by the high court of Guaido as interim president with elections within a year. It had been widely assumed that Leopoldo Lopez, a former mayor of a wealthy district in Caracas, would be a leading candidate.

On Thursday, a Caracas court issued a warrant for Lopez, revoking his house arrest, according to a statement published online. The court ordered him to spend the remaining eight years of his 13-year sentence in Ramo Verde military prison; he was convicted of charges including arson and instigating violence after spearheading anti-government protests. He spent three years in the prison and said he had no intention of returning.

“I spent two years in complete isolation at Ramo Verde,” he said. “It was not easy. I was tortured. I don’t want to go back to jail, because jail is hell. But I’m not afraid of jail, just like I’m not afraid of Maduro.”
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-02/venezuela-failed-uprising

William Bear fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 3, 2019

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/GlumBird/status/1123726734984196097

So, uh, this feels important

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
That's a lot of senior figures who were potentially on board with this. The Maduro regime is going to get a lot more brittle and paranoid, and the opposition and/or their US backers are going to be encouraged to push a lot harder next time. I see no reason to assume this'll be the end of it.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

that article is a fairly blatant attempt to make maduro feel paranoid. The coup didn’t fail because Lopez being on board made people nervous, it failed because they didn’t bother checking to see if the army was on board with the idea before they started. I mean I’m not a maduro apologist but that is some serious Baby’s First Psyop

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

that article is a fairly blatant attempt to make maduro feel paranoid. The coup didn’t fail because Lopez being on board made people nervous, it failed because they didn’t bother checking to see if the army was on board with the idea before they started. I mean I’m not a maduro apologist but that is some serious Baby’s First Psyop

Yea 'he was TOTALLY just about to hand over power because we have all these double agents in his cabinet but then mean ol Lopez spooked him by being TOO tough and cool?' is as pathetic as 'he was juuuuust about on the plane before Russia forced him back!' They're painfully transparent efforts to call him a big weak baby with no real support.

Also one good flag for that would be the quote from the guy who's currently hiding out in the embassy for...Chile I think?....saying 'I'm not afraid of prison or Maduro'.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

i hesitate to make a judgement here because I can't really evaluate the evidence very well

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
This embassy thing is nuts. I can’t believe 50 people are just living in the embassy and not letting people in. Its seriously impressive civil disobedience.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

So, uh, this feels important

It's stupid and wrong. In the video you can see there's a line of police behind the trucks which were in a prolonged confrontation with protesters. They were facing each other down a long time before the incident, and the trucks repeatedly tried to punk the protesters accelerating towards them then stopping suddenly, before anyone got hit. Afterward the trucks retreated back into the rest of the police and they slowly withdrew from the crowd before eventually coming back. If the opposition had actually controlled all those riot cops and vehicles they could have used them to do something actually useful instead like seize a radio station or literally anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGDn2-Qr_Lg

Here in this longer version you can better see everything going on. Unless you are talking about the other guy who got hit by an armored vehicle? I didn't see that one so I don't know.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

There is a long history of pro-west forces in Venezuela using false flags as a pretext for further American intervention.

Now that Guaido has failed in the one mission that the US prepared him for, he's probably sweating bullets about the closed door discussions going on right now about the need for a martyr for the opposition to rally around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
It's true that it's not certain if some of the figures mentioned in the article are really on Guaido's side. The claim that the head of SEBIN, Figuera, defected seems pretty solid, though. Consider:

1. SEBIN released Leopoldo Lopez
2. Figuera's wife flew to the US on the 28th
3. Figuera apparently released a letter explaining himself and Maduro fired him? (I'd be interested to see the letter)
4. No one knows where Figuera is