Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

ZearothK posted:

Just chimming in to say I've finished Subnautica. Amazing game, agree with the general sentiment that the final biomes are annoying and I wish I could have used the Seamoth for everything, but I still enjoyed the very final segments. Cyclops was cool, but kind of unnecessary beyond being a mobile base and driving the Prawn around.

How is Below Zero shaping up? Did they give a date for its eventual release out of Early Access?

Seems good so far, they're doing an update about once a month which fleshes out a new biome and adds new creatures and equipment/vehicles. If they keep up the pace for the planned year it seems like there will be a ton of stuff. The story seems interesting as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Glad to hear it! Have they said anything about BZ getting a price increase when it leaves EA? I don't really want to play it until it's fully done.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

ZearothK posted:

Glad to hear it! Have they said anything about BZ getting a price increase when it leaves EA? I don't really want to play it until it's fully done.

The price will increase by 25% at full release, so you might aswell get it now.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Oasx posted:

Or wait until it's free like Subnautica was! :v:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Or support development.

I just bought it because why not. Going to get it no matter what and it's slightly cheaper right now. I don't want to play it until it's 1.0 though.

Angela Merkle Tree
Jan 4, 2012

the definition of open: "mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make"
College Slice
So if you spawn in the Terraformer tool with the console, it still works but doesn't save any changes to the terrain once you leave the area. If you build any horizontal parts of your base into excavated space it'll reappear and block your interior.

But since ladders just teleport you, you can dig out a vertical shaft, fill it with vertical connectors, and the ladder will continue to work even when the terrain respawns.

In creative mode I've got a base on the west edge of the safe shallows that has a 800m ladder down to the big room in the Lost River, with a second Moonpool at the bottom.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Oasx posted:

Cool, I guess I will, thanks!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Turns out the trick to managing my terror of the ocean / Subnautica was as simple as

- have Seamoth
- lights are more important than anything
- increase the FOV setting

Which isn't to say I haven't had tense moments (and I don't really like descending cliffs or operating at night) but it's handleable.

Also jellyrays are my buddies. :3: I was worried they might be predators at first.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 30, 2019

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I'm sad that there's basically no Jellyray merchandise.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Currently I'm starting to explore the fairly-deep surface areas (and the upper mushroom caves). My Seamoth is still restricted to 300m, but I'm willing to dive a ways below it and also it can readily carry my tiny-base-setup loadout plus a bit in its storage locker.

As a result of the base thing I'm in a bit of a titanium shortage of all things, but there's a bunch of debris I haven't bothered to harvest so it's more a matter of spending the time to fetch it than an actual crunch.

edit: scariest moments so far were

- dunno if this is typical but there's a stupid sandshark living in the caves more-or-less-below my western, primary base (shallow bit off to the west, surrounded by red sands and kelp, a short jaunt from the mushroom forest) that makes them more or less untraverseable, running into him the first time was fun
- my actual intentional excursion to the Aurora was uneventful despite the warnings, but I accidentally wandered into that area without noticing while exploring after hitting up a lifepod and while I was playing tag with another sandshark around a scannable bit of wreckage a big scary tentacle dude came looming out of left field, but fortunately didn't decide I was edible in the time it took for me to board my seamoth and mash the "run away and upward while screaming" buttons

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 1, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

i feel like the huge lightning eels are pretty docile for predators - sandsharks and the bigger bony open-water sharks are highly aggressive, but i've cruised (carefully) past the eels at fairly close range for wreck reasons and they grumbled but didn't pursue

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

i find the mushroom caves to be the creepiest zone

the pink worms suck

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I'm annoyed that there can be as many Ampeels in any given 30 meter area in the Bulb Zone as Bonesharks, but they have literally ten times the HP and way more damage when biting/shocking you than a Boneshark does with their ramming/nibbling attacks.

Seriously, why do Ampeels have 3000 hp, more than half as much as a Reaper, when there can be five or six of them within a 30 meter radius in some zones (okay, one zone), while also being pissy assholes who come after you if you look at them funny. Who thought this was a good idea.

They are the one predator in Subnautica I have a problem with in terms of disliking some of their design/mechanical elements (not counting the Sandshark constant spazzing all over everywhere behavior rather than actually ever spending any time lurking under the sand like they're theoretically supposed to).

I'm fine with the comparatively rare solitary Ampeels in the Blood Kelp zones, because they aren't loving everywhere, but they just don't work when there's a shitload of them everywhere you look or swim.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

update: the ultra-deep trench with bloodvines isn't

actually that scary to me

i got walls to cling to, and i won't get lost trying to escape, I just go UP

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
The fear of the unknown is very frontloaded, towards the end it’ll all be familiar and mundane. Still a great journey though

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The giant cave in the reefs with the degasi base and a bunch of crabsquids always creeps me the gently caress out.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I get more turned around in there than I do anywhere else in the game. I can't count the number of times I've almost drowned or gotten totally lost down there without beacons to guide me back out.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I'm annoyed that there can be as many Ampeels in any given 30 meter area in the Bulb Zone as Bonesharks, but they have literally ten times the HP and way more damage when biting/shocking you than a Boneshark does with their ramming/nibbling attacks.

Seriously, why do Ampeels have 3000 hp, more than half as much as a Reaper, when there can be five or six of them within a 30 meter radius in some zones (okay, one zone), while also being pissy assholes who come after you if you look at them funny. Who thought this was a good idea.

They are the one predator in Subnautica I have a problem with in terms of disliking some of their design/mechanical elements (not counting the Sandshark constant spazzing all over everywhere behavior rather than actually ever spending any time lurking under the sand like they're theoretically supposed to).

I'm fine with the comparatively rare solitary Ampeels in the Blood Kelp zones, because they aren't loving everywhere, but they just don't work when there's a shitload of them everywhere you look or swim.

Are... are you trying to kill everything?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zesty posted:

Are... are you trying to kill everything?
I'm imagining more of a a wide eyed and innocent "I'll only attack them if they try to kill me first" mentality.

Because hoo boy, even a non-lethal repulsion gun lifestyle can get a real workout there.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I managed to get through my entire 2nd (first and only hardcore) playthrough without killing a single animal (holy poo poo why is kelp so utterly devoid of nutrition by the way, why even make it edible if it's that worthless) (barring a couple of unfortunate cyclops windshield splatterings), though I did do a bit of fist-fighting with a few leviathans along the way.

It certainly wasn't easy, given that the aggression AI on pretty much everything that isn't a Stalker is unrelenting and ridiculously terminator-like. It would've been way easier to handle the swarms of bonesharks and ampeels if I could punch them a few times with my prawn suit and drive them off, rather than have them swim 5 meters then circle back for more, especially when there are multiple ampeels crackling all around you, and when they refuse to stop attacking something that can tear rocks apart with its bare metallic hands, hitting them until they stop moving is the only reasonable response (even if it may be possible to behave unreasonably, like I managed with judicious repulsion cannon and stasis rifle usage).

I'm just saying, 3000 hp on an ampeel is ridiculous, supposed pacifistic intent on the developers' behalf or not, when other mid/large non-leviathan predators have nowhere close to that. It's just weird, and makes little to no sense, particularly if they're meant to be an extremely common (dominant, really) species in at least one biome.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Everything should have infinite hitpoints.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Only if that includes Ryley & or Robin.

Precursors dropped nanobots in the water! Nothing is allowed to die! Unless it's because of Kharaa.

Poor Yu and Lifepod 4 guy, stuck inside a Reaper digestive tract forever.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I managed to get through my entire 2nd (first and only hardcore) playthrough without killing a single animal (holy poo poo why is kelp so utterly devoid of nutrition by the way, why even make it edible if it's that worthless) (barring a couple of unfortunate cyclops windshield splatterings), though I did do a bit of fist-fighting with a few leviathans along the way.

It certainly wasn't easy, given that the aggression AI on pretty much everything that isn't a Stalker is unrelenting and ridiculously terminator-like. It would've been way easier to handle the swarms of bonesharks and ampeels if I could punch them a few times with my prawn suit and drive them off, rather than have them swim 5 meters then circle back for more, especially when there are multiple ampeels crackling all around you, and when they refuse to stop attacking something that can tear rocks apart with its bare metallic hands, hitting them until they stop moving is the only reasonable response (even if it may be possible to behave unreasonably, like I managed with judicious repulsion cannon and stasis rifle usage).

I'm just saying, 3000 hp on an ampeel is ridiculous, supposed pacifistic intent on the developers' behalf or not, when other mid/large non-leviathan predators have nowhere close to that. It's just weird, and makes little to no sense, particularly if they're meant to be an extremely common (dominant, really) species in at least one biome.

turn off your lights

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

trying not to read the thread so I can retain as much blindness as feasible

Update:

- Warpers kinda suck but they're frankly pretty easy to ignore.
- I keep forgetting my perimeter defense exists, a shark roars and bumps my seamoth and I immediately go into panic-evasion mode instead of clicking LMB and going on my way. :saddowns:
- I still have no idea where magnetite is but I've got a pretty good stock of rubies and uranium from some fairly basic bloodvine chasm excursions. I should probably go exploring elsewhere because it's getting increasingly inconvenient to have my seamoth stuck at 300m.
- Found the blueprint for interior growbeds. All hail the bulbo tree.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

There's only one area above 300m that has magnetite but it's got loving tons of it.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I think the "Seamoth stuck at 300M" is one of the biggest hurdles in the game. It's because the Magnetite is only really found in one place that is easy to miss.

I was definitely stuck there for a while until I found that place.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:eng101: Always follow your signal pings

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

jeeves posted:

I think the "Seamoth stuck at 300M" is one of the biggest hurdles in the game. It's because the Magnetite is only really found in one place that is easy to miss.

I was definitely stuck there for a while until I found that place.
Does it show up in a scanner room right away, or do you have to stumble onto some of it first? I totally forget. Seriously, I put scanner rooms everywhere in my first playthrough. I also filled them with planters and battery rechargers as microbases, but :ssh:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Scanner rooms only scan for things you've handled or encountered recently, although the requirements for "encountered" can be quite generous.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Your radio gives you signals. Follow them. They’re designed to move you in the right direction. Build a spare in your main base after you stop using the lifepod.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Hwurmp posted:

Scanner rooms only scan for things you've handled or encountered recently, although the requirements for "encountered" can be quite generous.

Oh I thought it was things in range.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

ikanreed posted:

it's things in range, but only for those areas you've visited in the active session. Load your game, scan for (eg) quartz, and you'll find a handful of quartz. Then go outside, go 200 meters in any direction, turn right, go 100 meters, then go back to your base. Suddenly there'll be a whole bunch of quartz (or whatever) that "suddenly" got detected - because you went there and now that area's loaded in memory, and previously that area didn't "exist" for the purposes of scanning.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

ikanreed posted:

I believe you have to have scanned the item, as well. So diamonds wont show up until you've scanned at least one...

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Found magnetite in the mushroom caves. :toot: They actually seem pretty safe to poke around in - as horrifying as it is to be chewed on by the pink mushroom worms - mushworms? - they don't seem to keep pursuing for more bites, at least not in the time it takes me to get back in my seamoth.

I can now go 900m down. :stare: That takes me to the lowest point of the bloodvine trench I've found so far with a couple hundred meters to spare. also warpers become more annoying when there are two in the area

There's a hole in the bottom of the trench that my advisor says has a new biome. :ohdear: The Warper Incident while I was trying to rename the beacon at the cave entrance (because I couldn't dodge or flee, you see) nearly killed me, although a death there would have been only mildly annoying - I'd pulled like one ruby and I sensibly built a campsite at the top of the trench.

I should probably consider going back and getting enough magnetite to finish my stasis rifle, so I can tell the little shits to go gently caress themselves (and anything I find in this new place).

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 3, 2019

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Deeper. Go deeper.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

pssssh stasis rifles are for babies

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Warpers don't like when you grapple and punch them in the Aggression Suit

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

GotLag posted:

Warpers don't like when you grapple and punch them in the Aggression Suit

The grapple arm will grab on to any lifeform in the game and pull you toward it, including normal-sized fish if you manage to hit one (I don't think I've ever done this on purpose).

Any threat worth fighting, is worth sea-lasso'ing and bareback riding while punching or grinding with the drill!

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Grapple and drill every reaper you see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

It would be cool if there were certain predators that were timed to appear in the world after certain story or exploration landmarks were cleared so that comfortable end-game players would suddenly have to worry about previously safe places and give them a jolt of that scared newbie feeling