Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

It implies L4D but I could swear that gas station is shot-for-shot from the RE2 remake.

Edit: Regardless I think L4D is a prime candidate for VR treatment, especially because I remember hiding in a closet or hunkering down in one spot more than any heavy run-and-gun mobility. I'm sure they could design the levels to be real compact to keep the experience comfortable.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you preordered an Index and have an RTX2070 graphics card or higher, Valve are selling a VirtualLink adapter that consolidates the DisplayLink, power cable and USB cable into the one port.

That's really cool they're the first ones to actualize that interface. I figured this entire generation of GPUs would be long gone before anyone put VirtualLink headsets into production.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

not half life 3, dont care

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you preordered an Index and have an RTX2070 graphics card or higher, Valve are selling a VirtualLink adapter that consolidates the DisplayLink, power cable and USB cable into the one port.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Another game that just needs to be ported. HL2VR was excellent with the DK1/2 and Hydra. Bummer it's VR implimentation has seemingly been lost.

Loved physically hacking with a crowbar, throwing grenades, aiming around corners, and reloading the magnum.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Another benefit of the Quest is it's just gonna be so much easier to demo to people. I'm really looking forward to taking it to work and letting people try it out.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

EdEddnEddy posted:

Another game that just needs to be ported. HL2VR was excellent with the DK1/2 and Hydra. Bummer it's VR implimentation has seemingly been lost.

Lost? Was this not it?

https://vrmods.wordpress.com/

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So someone brought up a while ago that the WMR headsets can't improve their tracking because they need Hololens parity. Hololens 2 has a rather familiar camera count and relatively similar config. That should potentially make the WMR companies happy at least. Now they just need to design some better controllers.

The only reason I'm not getting a Quest is I can play the games I want with a Vive. If you don't have VR headset, or a PC able to run one, it's certainly well worth considering getting a Quest
Didn't Hololens 1 have depth cameras anyway? IDK that parity was ever the reason WMRs are held back

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

not half life 3, dont care

Plus all the real products in "trailer" (Life, Pepsi) means it is absolutely fake. The diesel Land Rover doesn't make much sense if it were in the USA too :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Left 4 Dead and Half Life are prime candidates for VR games in general.

Half-Life 2's big deal was "woo lookit the physics and the puzzles using the physics!", which mostly amounted to holding stuff in front of you with the gravity gun and/or trying to place a plank down to use it as a bridge. That actually gets fun when you're doing it with your own hands.

Left 4 Dead already rewards players for foraging as much as running the levels, and you can do a lot better with shelves and the like when people physically have to check them while also checking fo-TAAANK :gibs:. Nevermind physically sneaking past a Witch or having a Jockey clawing at your eyeballs.

Generally speaking, there's probably a wealth of older PC game gimmicks like those whose time really could come properly with VR.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Whether its fake or not, L4D always seemed the obvious choice to do a VR version of. Lots of guns, shooting hordes of zombies coming at you in waves is kind of... descriptive of a good portion of VR gameplay as it is.

EDIT:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Generally speaking, there's probably a wealth of older PC game gimmicks like those whose time really could come properly with VR.

case in point, the doom 3 VR mod, makes the separate flashlight with no headlamp or gun lights feel like it finally makes sense all along when playing in VR checking corners and watching shadows dance around.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 2, 2019

Joe Average
Apr 9, 2002

Claes Oldenburger posted:

I heard a rumour about the index god rays being bad. They don't bother me too much on the rift but has anyone confirmed this? I would obviously prefer them not to be there.

I haven't really noticed them using the index, and I did specifically notice them when using the vive. So in my opinion, significantly less than the og vive and rift.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
LOL!

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

That is an extremely well done fake then. I get the brand name argument though. But seriously, that is way more than just a copy/paste of props. That is textured, lit and composed by someone in the industry.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

AndrewP posted:

I’m amazed that Oculus still goes with the white-on-black logo, which produces the Godliest God Rays you can find.

Oculus and its god ray complex smh

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

GABEEEEEEEEEEEEN :negative:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

We got Steamlinks and gamepads in Australia, so I doubt that'll hold true for too long.

Valve stop being fuckwits and just hock the Knuckles through Amazon at least. They don't need an AC adapter, after all.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Fake

https://www.pcgamer.com/this-leaked-left-4-dead-3-teaser-is-very-well-done-but-almost-certainly-fake/

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Neddy Seagoon posted:

We got Steamlinks and gamepads in Australia, so I doubt that'll hold true for too long.

Valve stop being fuckwits and just hock the Knuckles through Amazon at least. They don't need an AC adapter, after all.

Through the steam app?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Check that timestamp. The mod hasn't been updated since 2013.

I tried a few times since then to no avail and well, no idea why Valve completely lost interest in supporting VR in Source outside of I guess the fact that FPS in VR wasn't optimal at the time due to motion sickness, but man did they nail everything else pretty darn good.

I remember playing TF2 at a LAN entirely in VR on my 5870M powered laptop back when in the DK1. Surprisingly it was pretty playable back then even on that old thing.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

homeless snail posted:

Even "fixed foveated rendering" where it just blindly renders fewer pixels on the outer perimeter with no regard to where you're looking is barely used despite Valve writing papers and showing reference implementations on that poo poo like 4 years ago.

Part of it is there's still barely any engine support for it so you really have to build your graphics pipeline around the idea, and you mostly have to do it yourself because hardware support right now is only in the most recent and expensive GPUs.

Both Go and Quest can use fixed foveated rendering in UE4, Unity and native apps. (https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/unreal/latest/concepts/unreal-ffr/). Mainly thanks to Snapdragon GPU being tile based.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There is a half life VR mod currently in development, but the people doing it have jobs and do it in their free time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Reverb has a release date: May 6th for $600USD.

2160x2160 resolution, 90Hz, Software IPD of 55mm to 71mm, Displayport 1.3 and integrated Bluetooth. FOV is supposedly 114 degrees, but HP are being coy about it only feeling like that and it's probably around the same as the Rift and Vive.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Reverb has a release date: May 6th for $600USD.

2160x2160 resolution, 90Hz, Software IPD of 55mm to 71mm, Displayport 1.3 and integrated Bluetooth. FOV is supposedly 114 degrees, but HP are being coy about it only feeling like that and it's probably around the same as the Rift and Vive.

For what it's worth, Norm of Tested has tried both the Reverb and the Index, and his response was the Reverb was crisper but overall he preferred the Index as a headset, never mind the controllers (which are considered a weakness of the WMR line). If you're mostly looking at VR for seated play in driving/flight sims and stuff it could be a strong (and cheaper) contender, though.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Bremen posted:

For what it's worth, Norm of Tested has tried both the Reverb and the Index, and his response was the Reverb was crisper but overall he preferred the Index as a headset, never mind the controllers (which are considered a weakness of the WMR line). If you're mostly looking at VR for seated play in driving/flight sims and stuff it could be a strong (and cheaper) contender, though.

“A weakness of the WMR line” is a pretty nice way of putting those dumpster fires.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Lemming posted:

Another benefit of the Quest is it's just gonna be so much easier to demo to people. I'm really looking forward to taking it to work and letting people try it out.

I'm really looking forward to the videos of people trying it out in inappropriate rooms and running in to cubicle walls or whatever else at full speed.

I hope that whatever capture solutions emerge for Quest allow the camera view to be captured alongside the user view.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I wonder if it would be possible for software to take whatever model a headset has made of a space and then use that to figure out where another camera is for filming people in VR like with putting a tracking puck on a camera and using a green screen. If the camera doesn't move, and nothing else in the room moves, it could be like a green screen and just remove everything it knows is from the static image and then put anything else on top of the in game view. Probably more work than it's worth though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cojawfee posted:

I wonder if it would be possible for software to take whatever model a headset has made of a space and then use that to figure out where another camera is for filming people in VR like with putting a tracking puck on a camera and using a green screen. If the camera doesn't move, and nothing else in the room moves, it could be like a green screen and just remove everything it knows is from the static image and then put anything else on top of the in game view. Probably more work than it's worth though.

That exact setup already exists! It's called Mixed Reality streaming and generally uses a Vive Tracker mounted to your streaming camera. You can even move the camera around and have the VR footage overlay correct itself.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah, I mentioned that, but it requires a green screen. I'm talking about using the mapping of a camera based inside out headset and using that info to allow an external camera to locate itself and then mask out the room without a green screen.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, I mentioned that, but it requires a green screen. I'm talking about using the mapping of a camera based inside out headset and using that info to allow an external camera to locate itself and then mask out the room without a green screen.

Pretty sure if someone figures out how to do that in realtime, Hollywood and the big tech companies would be beating down their door to offer all the hookers and cocaine they can stand.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pretty sure if someone figures out how to do that in realtime, Hollywood and the big tech companies would be beating down their door to offer all the hookers and cocaine they can stand.

Which is why I clarified that it would probably have to be a static camera and a static room. Take a base image of the room and then do a difference of it and each frame to create a mask for adding in the gameplay. But I don't know how resource intensive that would be compared to just replacing every green pixel.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h3cUp_YQPY&t=59s

:suicide:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

That's with depth cameras though, little different. Its not like background subtraction is a new idea though

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

homeless snail posted:

That's with depth cameras though, little different. Its not like background subtraction is a new idea though

The original post said "mapping of a camera based inside out headset", Hololens for instance would be able to produce the necessary information. I would be surprised if WMR headsets didn't have some depth information from their tracking system as well, and if they don't it's definitely technically feasible. You don't need great depth for segmenting out a person with binocular sensors and some CV, even monocular stuff is getting pretty killer these days https://vimeo.com/260393753

Or for example:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what Cojawfee is looking for, to be honest I'm not nearly as sure I get it after rereading the last half-dozen posts again.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I think we're pretty close to doing that with standard cameras. One thing facebook was showing off during their keynote, while taking their sweet time getting to VR, was work with neural nets and computer vision. Showing the advancement over just a few years, it already seems to have it down pretty well from what they showed, and I could easily see a system that masks out people existing at any point now.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Delta-Wye posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what Cojawfee is looking for, to be honest I'm not nearly as sure I get it after rereading the last half-dozen posts again.
Yeah same here, I understood it as using the Quest's environment mapping to do background elimination but idk

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

homeless snail posted:

Yeah same here, I understood it as using the Quest's environment mapping to do background elimination but idk

It seems like the camera would already need to be in the world space somehow, like ned was saying with a tacked on tracking puck or something, so it wouldn't necessarily need the Quest to do the environmental tracking.

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 3, 2019

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Cojawfee posted:

You can do this with pre-recorded video in After Effects, and even with careful tweaking of the settings and a perfect setup it works terribly. The reason is that every pixel changes every frame, even in the best case scenario there is going to be visual noise in the recording. Also, no guarantees that parts of you aren't the same color as parts of the background you're moving over.

It's not an unsolvable problem though, there are currently some really promising AI-based approaches to automatic background removal.

If you have white walls or a black backdrop you could do a luminance based key in real time very easily. Also, if your camera is static you could just set your virtual camera position by using your controller (like put your controller right in front of the lens and click the trigger).

TIP fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 3, 2019

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Well, with inside out you're not going to be able to track the camera realistically, but I don't see any reason you couldn't set a camera up on a tripod, and in pass through mode click, select, grab and place something, or whatever to designate a virtual camera position from the same spot as your static camera. Then you could have AI doing background separation for a virtual green screen. It all seems very much feasible right now, someone would just have to put the option of selecting a virtual camera (something job sim actually has already). Getting it all to run in real time, beats me, and theres a lot of software that would have to be written for it all to work together, but the pieces are certainly there if someone just decides to do it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Delta-Wye posted:

The original post said "mapping of a camera based inside out headset", Hololens for instance would be able to produce the necessary information. I would be surprised if WMR headsets didn't have some depth information from their tracking system as well, and if they don't it's definitely technically feasible. You don't need great depth for segmenting out a person with binocular sensors and some CV, even monocular stuff is getting pretty killer these days https://vimeo.com/260393753

Or for example:

They're talking about using a bog-standard DSLR with a tracking device attached taking advantage of an inside-out tracked headset's chaperone boundary mapping to define a playspace and remove everything that isn't the player based on that mapping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Well, and then theres the really wacky out there world of tomorrow they showed at F8, where in the future you could scan yourself and have that in the game and get rid of the camera and masking all together :v: