Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mr Interweb posted:

Though in that poster's slight defense, I do feel the gag would have been fine if they cut right after the wide shot stepping on the rakes. When they came back to the close up shot, I felt they kind of overplayed it.

That’s what makes it good. It’s really the only time that kind of joke has worked though.

See: Family Guy, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The Simpsons holidays of futures passed is the lowest point.

-the thanksgiving scene with everybody being stuffed leading into the Christmas card scene implying Bart is a huge loser and Lisa is in a polyamorous relationship with 2 women and then married to Milhouse ?

-Bart having two children who don’t like him and he lives in the abandoned Springfield elementary

-Ned remarried Maude’s ghost who says there is no god , just an empty void ...

What the gently caress .

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i have a really specific memory of nearly crying with laughter with my dad wathcing the rake scene around when it first aired. it's a good memory

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
They act like it's great that bart becomes chief justice and lisa becomes president but that would be sorta hosed up for the country if you think about it

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

SeANMcBAY posted:

That’s what makes it good. It’s really the only time that kind of joke has worked though.

On a technicality I would submit that scene in Home Movies where they're brainstorming jokes and Jason is trying doggedly to get that kind of gag to work, the same unfunny joke over and over and over because it "comes around"; and the others are like eehhh no, it doesn't.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mr Interweb posted:

Though in that poster's slight defense, I do feel the gag would have been fine if they cut right after the wide shot stepping on the rakes. When they came back to the close up shot, I felt they kind of overplayed it.

The rake joke was good. The fact that every joke in every animated sitcom forever after was a ripoff of the rake joke ruins it retroactively.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Cosmik Slop posted:

I'm rewatching "Cape Feare" and jesus christ, the writers were on loving fire for this one. They're managing a perfect line every two goddamn seconds. It's almost too much to take in. It's like freebasing pure comedy.

The John Elway fantasy is so good. Homer wanting to get a touchdown but lose the super bowl by a huge margin and having an old fashioned helmet... love it.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Applewhite posted:

The rake joke was good. The fact that every joke in every animated sitcom forever after was a ripoff of the rake joke ruins it retroactively.

Nah, you can make the rake joke work in other situations, but the key thing is, the gag had to be funny to begin with.

Vaudeville slapstick like stepping on rakes is always funny. Extending it put to the point of absurdity only adds to it.

Peter sucking in his breath however, is not funny.
Stretching it out doesnt make it a gag, it just makes it annoying.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
bob-rake was funny because the sap's got dignity

peter-leg was funny the first time
partly because it wasn't immediately clear where the gag was going (followed a willy wonka golden ticket parody iirc) and when the pin dropped it was the kaufmanesque anti-humor of wasting 30 straight seconds of network airtime back when that was still kind of a ballsy and weird thing to do,
but also partly because it's actually a really natural reaction to a charley horse, and it comes when you're not expecting anything other than over-the-top cartoon violence
the second time they did that bit they actually cut it off really quickly because part of the gag was the fakeout, like "ahhh, we wouldn't do that to you ;)"
then they did it four more times

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

SeANMcBAY posted:

It works so well because it has a surprising number of jokes in it, all hidden behind the veil of slapstick comedy. At first it's funny because lol he got hit with a rake. You then don't expect the second one, which makes it funnier. It then cuts to the wide shot, which is both absurd and surprising enough to be funny. You then expect that to be the end of the joke and it to cut away, but then it cuts back in for more close-up raking, which surprises you more. By the second wide shot it's a matter of THIS CAN'T POSSIBLY KEEP GOING which makes it even funnier. It constantly is surprising you and pulling the rug out from under you, without any lines of dialogue and only a handful of repeated animations.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Whenever I rewatch that episode, I fast-forward past the rake part :shrug:
yehhhuurrrughh

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I watched Homer At The Bat again tonight and it is objectively the funniest loving episode of The Simpsons, period

Almost every single line cracks me up, and it's a great example of using celebrity guests in a funny way

"Good lord, gigantism!"

also lol if you don't have "Talkin' Softball" memorized

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Code Jockey posted:

I watched Homer At The Bat again tonight and it is objectively the funniest loving episode of The Simpsons, period

Almost every single line cracks me up, and it's a great example of using celebrity guests in a funny way

"Good lord, gigantism!"

I think it may be my favorite too and I never cared about baseball.

Darryl.:(

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

The spontaneous parade celebrating Hannibal crossing the Alps slew me when I rewatched it recently.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Code Jockey posted:

"Good lord, gigantism!"

Talkin' Softball might've been the high water mark for American television tbh.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Code Jockey posted:

"Good lord, gigantism!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXmoYOc9ZZw

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Arbite posted:

The twitching corpse managed to poke something.

Just change it to Trudeau Lover.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What makes the rake joke work is that it starts out funny, then halfway through, stops being funny, and then by sheer repetition becomes funny again.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Detective No. 27 posted:

What makes the rake joke work is that it starts out funny, then halfway through, stops being funny, and then by sheer repetition becomes funny again.

If I remember the commentary track, the only reason it was so long was because the episode was running short and they had to figure out a way to stretch it out.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Wirth1000 posted:

If I remember the commentary track, the only reason it was so long was because the episode was running short and they had to figure out a way to stretch it out.

Al Jean & Mike Reiss-era episodes, probably some of the best years of the show, did have a decent amount of filler material in them.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

emgeejay posted:

yehhhuurrrughh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH8tLx3vIWs

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Code Jockey posted:

a great example of using celebrity guests in a funny way

We had a lot of fun tonight. But there's nothing funny about vapor lock.

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

Question real quick, i tried to look this up yesterday and thought i was going crazy. Somehwere in the season 5-8 range i think they have a joke where someone is crossing off things to see in LA and its all poo poo like "lax long term parking lot c" snd "cerritos auto square"

Now the only thing i can find is like from a season 20 episode that aired in 2011 and i know there is no way in hell i watched a season 20 ep. What episode is this from before i go insane

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Wirth1000 posted:

That's the real world reason behind it, yeah, but comedically it works for the reason why I said.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

Yes thats what i found but that was attributed to an episode in season 20 which aired in 2011 which there is no way i watched. They took the joke from an earlier episode

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Stanky Bean posted:

Yes thats what i found but that was attributed to an episode in season 20 which aired in 2011 which there is no way i watched. They took the joke from an earlier episode

I'm not going to rewatch it to figure it out for you, but the only episode I can remember where they went to LA was that Mel Gibson one where he does the Mr. Smith Goes to Washington remake. Maybe there was a similar gag in it.

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

That is season 11 so closer to what i know, but i swear it was in there at some point earlier. I rewatch random episodes from seasons 1-7ish quite often, maybe ill come across it again

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

"Oh, let's say... Moe."

But they did it for real because there's nothing left but to re-reference the funny stuff from the early days

Das Bus is far from the worst Simpsons episode, but it was absolutely the first bad episode.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

Das Bus is far from the worst Simpsons episode, but it was absolutely the first bad episode.

It's a perfectly cromulent episode

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Das Bus is bad because it’s a pretty dumb premise but good because it still has actual jokes in it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

no way, there were a bunch of clipshows before Das Bus

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Irradiation posted:

Das Bus is bad because it’s a pretty dumb premise but good because it still has actual jokes in it.

It was a pretty straight Lord of the Flies parody.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Let me rephrase that. The premise is fine, but the series of events that gets them onto the island is ridiculous. Like at least have them going out on a boat and not falling off a 50 foot long bridge over a creek and ended up stranded in the middle of the ocean.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Who cares the episode is funny

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Das Bus could've worked as a Treehouse of Horror I think

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2El5ttjM9I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI3OiYarJ98

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013

The Bible posted:

It was a pretty straight Lord of the Flies parody.

It's too straight. Das Bus is less of a parody and more just "Lord of the Flies except Martin is Piggy." It's lazy, and the ending revels in how lazy it is. Christ Jesus, it's been 21 years, and it still pisses me off.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

It's too straight. Das Bus is less of a parody and more just "Lord of the Flies except Martin is Piggy." It's lazy, and the ending revels in how lazy it is. Christ Jesus, it's been 21 years, and it still pisses me off.

it wasn't a parody, It was just the simpson kids in Lord of the Flies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Apparently so traumatized as to confuse Martin with Milhouse