Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Bake the weapon feat abilities into the weapons themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I have always wanted to find a way to make spear mastery work without bogging down bonus action economy and have yet to figure out a way to do it.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Kaysette posted:

Bake the weapon feat abilities into the weapons themselves.

Other way round. Make weapons way more generic. Make weapon combat something you learn leveled moves for.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Other way round. Make weapons way more generic. Make weapon combat something you learn leveled moves for.

Way more generic than they currently are?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Kaysette posted:

There are 21 entries in the weapons table that are pretty much just repeats of each other and could be cut down to 5.

They could be made more general and given proper differentiating factors.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Kaysette posted:

Yep. At least for melee most of the differences are in cost and weight anyway, or else are just objectively worse mechanical choices with different flavored skins.

Something like

Light one handed: d6 main hand or d4 off hand melee
Heavy one handed: d8 main hand melee.
Light two handed: d10 two hand reach.
Heavy two handed: d12 two hand melee.

Everything else is an ability.

Versatile, for example: Class or archetype ability, starts with light weapons at level 1, add your choice of medium or polearm at 6 and get the other at 12 (or something like that).

e: You could fold "one handed" into one category and place the differentiation into abilities - are you using it in your main hand with an empty off hand? Does something different from using it in your offhand with another one in your main, which does something different from using it with a shield.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 3, 2019

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Yeah, I guess either way would be better than what we have now lol

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Kensai is a loving mess of a class with 3 major problems.

1) Until level 5, you literally cannot use your primary class feature while using your primary thematic feature. You can choose to be cool, or effective. Always a wonderful choice to force someone to make. Watch the gently caress out, I'm a dedicated master of the sword, who can't actually use it! Don't worry though, after level 5, you can hit an enemy loving once alongside all your punches, which is why you wanted to be a sword saint, to punch people a lot and also carry a sword!

2) Their main utility is that they can use their sword as if it were a magic weapon, which...monks could already do, and also, one of the main reasons to use weapons is to get cool magic weapons, let's be real honest with ourselves in a way WotC refuses to be. Every single person who uses a weapon wants a rad magical weapon. Kensai lets you want a rad magical weapon, and then gives the DM a reason to never give you one! Awesome!

3) It's boring as gently caress. You lose every cool ability other monks get and in return you can, let's see, use a shittier version of flurry once, or overspend ki dramatically to pretend even harder that your DM isn't loving you over on loot. Oh gently caress me watch out for the almighty power of the sword saints, they can hit you with a sword Kinda Harder, Sometimes, and can forego the most boring part of magic weapons!

It's such a miserable failure of class design at almost every step. None of this is even commenting on mechanical balance - it's just a thematic pile of poo poo.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
This is the UA I was talking about to help. http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/dnd/ua-feats-v1.pdf

I think the idea for those weapon abilities are cool, but needed work and refinement. And not necessarily to be attached to the feat system.

Prepping a spear against a charge for example sounds like something anyone with a spear could do.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Kaysette posted:

This is your brain on 5e.

Like, sanity check, no one took me seriously, right? I honestly can't tell where the line is anymore.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Every single person who uses a weapon wants a rad magical weapon.

I actually would really like something along the lines of a Vow of Poverty thing, except not have to be a spellcaster for it to actually be good.

Just a dude in a robe with a sword, surrounded by Death Knights, Thaumaturgists and Spooks

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 3, 2019

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Yep. At least for melee most of the differences are in cost and weight anyway, or else are just objectively worse mechanical choices with different flavored skins.

Something like

Versatile, for example: Class or archetype ability, starts with light weapons at level 1, add your choice of medium or polearm at 6 and get the other at 12 (or something like that).

e: You could fold "one handed" into one category and place the differentiation into abilities - are you using it in your main hand with an empty off hand? Does something different from using it in your offhand with another one in your main, which does something different from using it with a shield.

Yeah this is absolutely the way I would do weapons, its cleaner and lets you pick the 'weapon' you'd like to use and refluff it how you want without trapping people into good and bad choices.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Something like

Damage dice should be class based anyway, what your character is actually holding should be mostly flavour.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Is it just my experience or is AC not all that useful in a lot of instances?

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Josef bugman posted:

By the numbers, it's one of those things that gets much better the more of it you have. Getting an extra +2 AC varies in value depending on your opponent's to hit bonus; reducing their odds from 60% to 50% reduces their hit rate by 1/6 and increases your survivability by 20%, but going from a 40% to 30% to hit reduces their hit rate by 1/4th and increases your survivability by 33%. Granted, D&D tends to deal damage in big, discrete chunks and not small, continuous pieces, so it probably won't translate as smoothly in practice as it does in theory. I've been playing mostly characters with heavy armor and shields, and my 20+ AC feels really, really solid against anything but single entity encounters, but for a lightly-armored DEX character, I can see how it doesn't feel very reliable.

I think that's one thing I'm starting to appreciate about bounded accuracy, that player AC exists in pretty discrete tiers, accumulating small increments actually matters, and lugging around heavy armor actually feels meaningful compared to zipping around in leather.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mendrian posted:

Also 10% damage reduction
You did this on purpose

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

Damage dice should be class based anyway, what your character is actually holding should be mostly flavour.

Shhhh.

Martial focus

Nothing to see here.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

change my name posted:

Yeah, for those of you who DM, how closely do you stick to the book? I stumbled across a long debate over canon and lore in D&D, and I was like, do those guys not realize you can do whatever you want

80% RAI, 20% my own bullshit

So actually 50/50 more or less.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Josef bugman posted:

Monks get proficiency in all saves and if you can sweet talk your DM into a bog-standard Bracers of Defense, all of a sudden your Kensei has 24 AC and is incredibly beefy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Josef bugman posted:

AC is something you want to go all-in on, or not really at all.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

My level 1 artificer spent half of a fight last night eating a ham sandwich but I did manage to crit a goblin with a ray of frost between bites.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Ryuujin posted:

Your player is right.

So 3 things need to happen for that AC bonus, they have to make an Unarmed Strike as part of the Attack action on their turn while holding a kensei weapon, they must continue holding said weapon as it goes away if at any point they aren't holding it anymore, and they must not be Incapacitated for if they become Incapacitated during that time they will lose that AC bonus.
Yeah, I've been doing these wrong- I've counted the bonus unarmed attacks from attacking with a monk weapon for half a year, now.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

gradenko_2000 posted:

AC is something you want to go all-in on, or not really at all.

Nah - AC is always good to have, so it comes down to individual class opportunity costs.

- DEX primary classes have their AC tied to their most important stat anyway, so they can just buff it with the best armor or items they can find that don't eat into their offense budget.
- For a class/archetype that allows Medium Armor, 14 DEX is a trivial investment with good returns, and equipping a Shield if they're able generally costs nothing (though Barbarians might want to use a 2h for GWM synergy with Reckless Attack). Also, unless Stealth is really important for the group (in which case they can stick to Breastplate), no reason not to wear the best Half-Plate they can find.
- Similarly for Bards/Sorcerers/Warlock/Wizards, 14 DEX is a good tertiary after their casting stat+CON, and in the case of Sorcerers and Wizards they actually have the potential for very good AC between Mage Armor/Draconic Resilience and Shield. And hell, because initiative is important for a caster, you can even make the case to go 16 DEX 14 CON, which is only better for AC.
- Heavy Armor classes should of course pack Full Plate as soon as they can afford it (and Splint is good too and almost always immediately available). Heavy Armor Clerics should grab 15 STR instead of 14 DEX at chargen (unless Dwarf).
- For those with Fighting Styles, ranged characters should take Archery no question, and there is a case for Dueling if going for a shield build with 3+ attacks per round, and for Great Weapon Fighting if wielding a greatsword, but otherwise the +1 AC from Defense is simply the best pick.

The most common case I've seen following your logic is the Barbarian who thinks "I'll never have good AC anyway because of Reckless Attack so I'll just go armor-less with my DEX 10", but it's like, dude where are you gonna put those stats instead? Charisma for ~flavor~ even though you'll never be the party face (and all you need is proficiency in order to give assistance)? Intelligence because having an 8 in the most useless stat makes you feel obliged to RP the character as dumb? It's nonsense.

Even with enemy advantage, AC 17 makes you much more survivable than AC 13, and while at it wear some adamantine to deal with the 1 in 10 crit chance.

OTOH you should never spend ASIs for the sole purpose of boosting your AC. The armor proficiency feats are bad picks, Medium Armor Master is terrible, and Duelist and Dual Wielder feats are least priority (and dual-wielding is bad anyway).

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 3, 2019

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Conspiratiorist posted:

Though they use one-handed weapons, optimally Monks wield them with 2 hands (versatile d8, or versatile d10 in Kensei's case) until level 11/17.

Archetypes that do 1h without a shield:
Bladesinger Wizard (but what they'll actually want to wield is a conjured Shadow Blade)
Booming Blade Rogue (either Arcane Trickster or through Magic Initiate/Elf)
College of Swords Bard (but they really aren't any good at melee anyway)

That's it.

ED: you can make a case for grapple builds (Barbarian/Barbarogue/Bard too I guess?) foregoing a shield, but it's a very niche case.

Yeah, monks swing their sword or whatever two-handed but I'd still be visualizing it as being in one hand the rest of the time. Who knows when I'd get to bust it out anyway.

On a side note I was looking at races last night and some classes really get the shaft on race selection if you want to be optimized. Cleric has dwarf, elf, human, and kinda half-elf? Bit of a drag. Also love dragonborn and tiefling having such lame stat bonuses. I almost feel like all races should get to put their +1 wherever they want(besides their +2 stat ofc).

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

This is my first time playing and yesterday I casted Heat Metal on an enemys breastplate and after one turn the DM told me that the straps on the breastplate broke and fell off so I couldn't continue burning him. Is there supposed to be a constitution save for the enemy to keep his breastplate on? Also, would it have been better to cast it on the enemy's greatsword, forcing him to drop it?

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Sounds like the DM arbitrarily said gently caress you. It takes like five minutes to doff a breastplate, it's not gonna fall off from getting hot. Did it at least reduce the target's AC?

If your DM is going to dictate Heat Metal like that, you may as well ditch it from your spell list. And probably ditch the DM, too.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
I'm no smarty pants but a breastplate would probably have leather straps which wouldn't burn and break because they're merely attached to something hot. Sounds like the DM got huffy about the fight being trivialized and BSed an excuse.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

RisqueBarber posted:

Is there supposed to be a constitution save for the enemy to keep his breastplate on?

You can try a con save to end the damage but

quote:

the creature must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or drop the object if it can

Taking off armor is definitely gonna take more than one action if the DM is following the rules Malpais Legate referred to.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Conspiratiorist posted:

Nah - AC is always good to have, so it comes down to individual class opportunity costs.
I think Gradenko meant the ancillary boosters rather than your core armour and dex. There's no real trade off to maxing your basic AC, but giving up your large weapon/dual wielding damage isn't worth the +2 AC from a shield unless you're piling a bunch of other AC bonuses on top. Similarly taking the defence fighting style is throwing away damage unless you're also sword and boarding it in the heaviest armour you can find.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Malpais Legate posted:

Sounds like the DM arbitrarily said gently caress you. It takes like five minutes to doff a breastplate, it's not gonna fall off from getting hot. Did it at least reduce the target's AC?

If your DM is going to dictate Heat Metal like that, you may as well ditch it from your spell list. And probably ditch the DM, too.

It did reduce the AC but I was bummed because I had picked it as a level two spell and thought I could cast it at least twice.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

RisqueBarber posted:

It did reduce the AC but I was bummed because I had picked it as a level two spell and thought I could cast it at least twice.

Sounds like arbitrary fudging, they could have at least made the enemy waste a turn cutting it off or something

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I mean if the DM is gonna rule that Heat Metal burned the armor off the guy then I'd expect that their AC would drop.

Of course, at that point you're just running an rear end in a top hat Arms Race.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Splicer posted:

I think Gradenko meant the ancillary boosters rather than your core armour and dex. There's no real trade off to maxing your basic AC, but giving up your large weapon/dual wielding damage isn't worth the +2 AC from a shield unless you're piling a bunch of other AC bonuses on top. Similarly taking the defence fighting style is throwing away damage unless you're also sword and boarding it in the heaviest armour you can find.

The damage boost from GWF FS on a Halberd is minimal so Defense is better, really. Dual Wielding is also crap because of Polearm Master.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

RisqueBarber posted:

RAW there's provisions for Heat Metal affecting armor, namely that they suffer disadvantage and take damage each round. It's not written all that clearly, but the intent is pretty clear. The DM should have turned around and used it on your party in a later battle, not weakened it into irrelevance. I think you were a victim of "realism", which is that anything not involving magic is subject to dubious and arbitrary interpretation. That being said, speak with your DM about it and ask them how they intend to interpret that spell. If what they're suggesting doesn't sound workable, try switching to Moonbeam or Hold Person.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I mean if the DM is gonna rule that Heat Metal burned the armor off the guy then I'd expect that their AC would drop.

Of course, at that point you're just running an rear end in a top hat Arms Race.

I actually thought this was the point of heat metal, to make the target choose between an unreasonable DOT and lowering their AC. I don’t think that’s ever been stated though in any edition though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DalaranJ posted:

I actually thought this was the point of heat metal, to make the target choose between an unreasonable DOT and lowering their AC. I don’t think that’s ever been stated though in any edition though.

I mean without knowing exactly what was going on in the DM's head, it's kind of a reasonable thing to think, even.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, can't stress that enough. 13th Age really got that poo poo right.

Your Paladin wants to have a spear? Ok. Or a dagger? Whatever. Maybe a club passed down for generations? That's cool too. Whatever works for your character, damage is the same.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Literally just bolt the special weapon properties like Brutal from 4e onto 13As Class based damage and how it plays with multiclassing.

There, 5e now has cool weapons to spend money on and the Skilled Warrior rule means that a Fighter/Barb has a strict advantage in weapon attacks over a Wizard that dips Fighter.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Lots of DM's freak out about Heat Metal. As it can be pretty devastating when cast on Armor. I can kind of understand not wanting the big encounter becoming crippled no save.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Bell_ posted:

Yeah, I've been doing these wrong- I've counted the bonus unarmed attacks from attacking with a monk weapon for half a year, now.

Yes, this is the wrong way, continue doing it.

Baller Ina posted:

I almost feel like all races should get to put their +1 wherever they want(besides their +2 stat ofc).

I don't even understand not being able to shift the +2, but going "my character is a lizardman but he's using orc stats" is easy enough.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Lots of DM's freak out about Heat Metal. As it can be pretty devastating when cast on Armor. I can kind of understand not wanting the big encounter becoming crippled no save.

I'm not a fan of caster supremacy, but if it's really that crippling, going "but actually no" is not a great way of handling it. If someone can neuter an encounter with a single, limited resource, that SHOULD be super cool and celebrated.

If the enemy at least wasted a round getting out of the armor, it'd be better. But if you're going to zero-warning nerf the spell, at least give the option of swapping it out between sessions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Is anyone here doing an online game that I could watch or have an upcoming new game I can participate in? The current game I'm in is full of newbies and I want to see a more experienced group in action.