Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

shame on an IGA posted:

is you printing merch for a criminal fukkin conspiracy?

lumbees lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

shovelbum posted:

lumbees lmao

IDGI

Is the shirt have to do with cock fighting by Native Americans in NC?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nystral posted:

IDGI

Is the shirt have to do with cock fighting by Native Americans in NC?

thats how im reading it, that part of nc is known for its comical trashiness that makes fayetteville itself look like a class act

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

https://twitter.com/xv40rds/status/1122969039536558080?s=19

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

shovelbum posted:

lumbees lmao

If you google it, you’ll find a YouTube channel with a guy’s full name and a bunch of deleted vids save for one honest to god cockfight.

Love to attach my full name to felonious conduct for all the internet to appreciate.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

shovelbum posted:

thats how im reading it, that part of nc is known for its comical trashiness that makes fayetteville itself look like a class act

Robeson County makes Mississippi look good.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

pantslesswithwolves posted:

If you google it, you’ll find a YouTube channel with a guy’s full name and a bunch of deleted vids save for one honest to god cockfight.

Love to attach my full name to felonious conduct for all the internet to appreciate.

If you want him to have extra fun, forward that info to the USDA, who has jurisdiction over cock fighting and dog fighting on the federal level.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

real talk how do you people live in the south without going insane?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

DoktorLoken posted:

robeson county is like 100 miles from raleigh or charlotte but about 1200 years less developed, place is insane

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

DoktorLoken posted:

The food is good and the people are generally pretty friendly

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I think it’s you who should be loving off. It’s his saved leave.

Cenen posted:

I’m not really mad at him, more confused they only made it a rule you couldn’t do it only after he got out. So weird they couldn’t/wouldn’t tell him to knock it off while he was in or why it only had the balls to make the announcement after he was out if it was apparently such an issue.

Cenen posted:

Double edit: All the god drat illiterates but that’s a post for another time.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

DoktorLoken posted:

I'm trying to figure that out because all my family here is dead now and I have no reason to stay except that I inherited a house outright. It's small and not valuable but it's a free roof 5 minutes from work for as long as I can stand it.

Gonna go to the art museum in Charlotte wed afternoon, try to clear my head a little.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 30, 2019

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

My parents moved here from West Virginia and Lehigh Valley after meeting in Ohio and my brother moved for the greener pastures of Wayne Co. NY.

This family is geographically cursed in every way

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I mean, we still live, voluntarily, at the rear end-end of Tornado Alley. I think 'sane' escaped us a long time ago.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I drink and spend a ton of time on the beach. Also, scuba diving/underwater photography.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

DoktorLoken posted:

god-tier post/av combo

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Not a .mil idiot, but I think this belongs here.

quote:

A 26-year-old internet entrepreneur faces up to 20 years behind bars in America, and a potential $250,000 fine, after attempt to steal a really not-very-good domain name.

While that may sound excessive, it was how Rossi Lorathio Adams II, of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, tried to get hold of the internet address doitforstate.com that put him in trouble: he got his cousin to break into the home of the man who owned the domain name, and demanded he transfer it at gunpoint.

The armed robbery went wrong when the domain owner, Ethan Deyo, thought that the gunman, 43-year-old Sherman Hopkins, was going to kill him and fought back. In the ensuing struggle, Deyo was shot in the leg but managed to get hold of the gun and shot Hopkins several times in the chest before calling the cops. A year later, Hopkins was sent down for 20 years.

Full details of what happened and why emerged last week during a four-day trial in Iowa, and the story is even crazier than we reported previously. Back in July 2017, we were confused as to why anybody would go to such extraordinary lengths for an internet address. It turns out that Adams had become obsessed with getting hold of the domain in order to build up his business of clips of drunk people doing stupid things.

Adams set up a company called "State Snaps" while a student of Iowa State University, and built up over a million followers on social media channels – including Snapchat, Instagram and Twitter – by posting short videos of drunk students doing idiotic things, often while semi-naked. The university wasn't amused and asked him to cut it out but Adams – going by the handle "Polo" – refused and tried to build a business out of it by running events and selling T-shirts with phrases like "Probably Drunk" as well as a common Iowa university slogan that followers had started putting on his posts: "Do it for State!" As part of this effort, Adams trademarked the hashtag #DoItForState and tried to register the domain doitforstate.com, but it was already registered to another Iowan, Ethan Deyo, and so he had to settle for the name doit4state.com instead.

Adams became obsessed with getting hold of the full spelled-out domain name, and things slowly escalated. In June 2015, Adams turned up to Deyo's house unannounced and told him he wanted to buy the domain name. Deyo – who had also trademarked the domain name – didn't want to sell. Adams didn’t let up, though, and kept contacting Deyo and his brother Christopher about purchasing the name. When Deyo stopped responding to him, Adams got his business partner to start asking for the domain – while instructing him not to let Deyo know that they knew one another. That effort failed, too, after he said he wanted $20,000 for the name and Adams wasn't willing to pay it.

A trial jury this month heard that Adams got increasingly aggressive – at one point sending gun emojis to someone that used doitforstate.com to promote concerts (Adams was trying to set up his site as a concert promotional tool, too). Then, in May 2017, he again turned up unannounced at Deyo's house wearing a "State Snaps" T-shirt, and told Christopher Deyo: "I'm here for the name whatever it takes. I'm not leaving without it." Deyo told the court that Adams punched his hand, presumably in an attempt at intimidation, but he again refused to sell the dot-com.

It was at this point that Adams persuaded his cousin, convicted felon Sherman Hopkins who was living in a homeless shelter at the time, to get the name through force. The details are extraordinary. Adams took Hopkins and a friend of his – David Davis – to a Target store where Davis bought two burner phones so Hopkins and Adams could communicate during the break-in. It was an effort to cover his tracks.

Then, on June 21, 2017 – Hopkins broke into Deyo's house equipped with the phone, a taser and a handgun. He had pulled nylons over his head and was wearing sunglasses in an effort to mask his identity. When he spotted Deyo at the top of a staircase, Hopkins yelled, "Come here, motherfucker!" and ran after him, kicking in Deyo's bedroom door, grabbing him and dragging him to the home office where his computer was. Hopkins then pulled out a handwritten note – which detectives later found Adams' palm print on – that detailed how to move the domain from Deyo's GoDaddy account to Adams'.domain

It included Adams' email address and his GoDaddy account details – an account that had several other domains in. Hopkins then put the gun against Deyo's head and told him to follow the instructions. Deyo duly did so but he needed to put in a mailing address and phone number to carry out the transfer and asked Hopkins what to type in; a request that neither Adams or Hopkins had planned for. Hopkins became infuriated and hit Deyo several times in the head with the butt of his gun and repeatedly tased him.

But the transfer still needed an address and phone number so Hopkins called Adams on the phones they had bought and ended up putting Deyo on the phone with the man that had bugging him and his brother for two years for the domain and was now trying to steal it through force. Deyo told the court he immediately recognized Adams' voice.

Adams gave Deyo an address and phone number to type in but during the exchange, Hopkins became increasingly agitated and started hitting Deyo again. Deyo testified that Hopkins told him: "This better be right. You better do this right. You know who you stole from. If you go to the police or tell anyone about this I’ll be back for you." Then, according to Deyo, he cocked the gun and threatened: "If this isn’t right I’m going to blow your loving head off!" Deyo pushed the gun away from his head and a fight broke out. The gun went off and a bullet hit Deyo in the leg. Fearing for his life, Deyo kept fighting and managed to get hold of the gun, before shooting Hopkins several times in the chest. Deyo then called the police and when they turned up they found Hopkins bleeding in his house.

Despite the whole plan having gone horribly wrong, Adams still thought he was going to get the domain, and the day after the botched robbery called GoDaddy to ask what had happened to a domain name he was expecting to see turn up in his account. By then of course, the police were all over the situation. They had Adams' note including the email address – rj_mr_adams123@yahoo.com – and GoDaddy account number which, amazingly, wasn't an untraceable account but Adams' long-standing personal account with all of his contact details.

The police soon found their way to Adams and when he was interviewed admitted that the email address was his and that he had tried to buy the domain. He admitted that he had been to Deyo's house in the past. He denied knowing about the phones before admitting he had been with Hopkins and Davis at the Target store but didn't know what was in the bag that Davis came out with, before admitting that he did know what was in the bag and had in fact given Davis the $100 to buy the phones.

It wasn't a difficult case, and after only an hour's deliberation the jury returned with a guilty verdict for Rossi Lorathio Adams II for "conspiracy to interfere with commerce by force, threats, and violence." He will be sentenced later this year, and faces a fine of up to $250,000 and a maximum jail sentence of 20 years – the same as his cousin who carried out the robbery. Which should give them both plenty of time to learn about search engine optimization.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Jesus christ.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
Iowa State turns people insane. C.f. jastiger

I mean how do you care That loving Much about some state college you went to.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

berth ell pup posted:

Iowa State turns people insane. C.f. jastiger

I mean how do you care That loving Much about some state college you went to.

This is America where the highest paid state employee in almost every state is a sports coach

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I DONT CARE IF THIS QUOTE IS FAKE BUT IM HOLLERING AT THE IMAGE

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Sounds entirely like something he would plan from everything i've read about him. There was some memoirs I read of people around him in Korea where they don't think he really understood nuclear weapons beyond "bombs, but like, bigger".

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

ElMaligno posted:

I DONT CARE IF THIS QUOTE IS FAKE BUT IM HOLLERING AT THE IMAGE

Wikipedia posted:

In interview with Jim G. Lucas and Bob Considine on 25 January 1954, posthumously published in 1964, MacArthur said,

Of all the campaigns of my life, 20 major ones to be exact, [Korea was] the one I felt most sure of was the one I was deprived of waging. I could have won the war in Korea in a maximum of 10 days.... I would have dropped between 30 and 50 atomic bombs on his air bases and other depots strung across the neck of Manchuria.... It was my plan as our amphibious forces moved south to spread behind us—from the Sea of Japan to the Yellow Sea—a belt of radioactive cobalt. It could have been spread from wagons, carts, trucks and planes.... For at least 60 years there could have been no land invasion of Korea from the north. The enemy could not have marched across that radiated belt."

https://www.nytimes.com/1964/04/09/archives/texts-of-accounts-by-lucas-and-considine-on-interviews-with.html

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
This guy really didn't understand radiation or nuclear warfare did he, by that time didn't the US itself have a fully developed system for fighting in heavily irradiated areas

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Considering the massive budget cuts to any military spending right after WWII that continued right up to Korea, i'm fairly certain any system for us to fight in irradiated areas was "put on gas mask, you'll be fine" and then not paying out benefits later when their arms fall off.

Edit: When I put it that way it sounds a lot like today so who knows.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

shovelbum posted:

This guy really didn't understand radiation or nuclear warfare did he, by that time didn't the US itself have a fully developed system for fighting in heavily irradiated areas

Radiation wasn't even really fully understood at the time, the 1950s was an era of massive changes in understanding of the risks of Nuclear War and Radiation in general. We just knew it was dangerous.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CainFortea posted:

Considering the massive budget cuts to any military spending right after WWII that continued right up to Korea, i'm fairly certain any system for us to fight in irradiated areas was "put on gas mask, you'll be fine" and then not paying out benefits later when their arms fall off.

Edit: When I put it that way it sounds a lot like today so who knows.

You go to war with the army you have, not the army you want.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Weren't people in Las Vegas still getting a good dose at that point from the tests that they were doing out there? Like it was a tourist thing to do, go to the top of your hotel and watch the bombs go off in the distance.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I don't know what kind of doses they'd get from that, but that was definitely a common activity. One of my bars of choice is Atomic Liquors on Fremont, which gets its name from people sitting on the roof to watch.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

It was enough that the US government had to pay out to people for what it did to them.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

A Bad Poster posted:

It was enough that the US government had to pay out to people for what it did to them.

The US government didn’t pay out to people in Las Vegas who had a-bomb parties.

I’d be surprised if those people had cancer rates detectably above the general population. We’re not talking about The Conqueror here.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Godholio posted:

I don't know what kind of doses they'd get from that, but that was definitely a common activity. One of my bars of choice is Atomic Liquors on Fremont, which gets its name from people sitting on the roof to watch.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Phanatic posted:

I’d be surprised if those people had cancer rates detectably above the general population. We’re not talking about The Conqueror here.

They sure did.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:hellyeah:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And that's why there's a Fallout New Vegas.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Phanatic posted:

They sure as gently caress did

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I think this fits: https://www.npr.org/2019/05/03/719866004/army-soldier-falls-into-hawaiis-kilauea-volcano-after-straining-for-better-view

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Wait... are they sure it wasn't a marine? :downsrim:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
You're supposed to be a virgin to be sacrificed to the volcano, drat it. Now thanks to this jackass Pele is going to be mad as hellfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Wibla posted:

Wait... are they sure it wasn't a marine? :downsrim:

Marines are smart enough to not melt their crayons

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 3, 2019