Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I love how in TOS, after the first accidental trip back in time they then just decide "yeah we're going to travel through time for historical research, no big deal"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Also, did I misunderstand something or did TOS establish the process as being rather easy? Like just slingshot around a sun? Hell, in Naked Time, they went back a few days with some matter-anti-matter implosion and they said "oh we'll have to remember that for the future."

I know time cops pop up a few times, and the Federation has a Temporal Prime Directive or whatever, but I'm kind of surprised the federations' enemies didn't somehow find out about these time travel techniques and just abuse them like crazy.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Oxyclean posted:

I just saw Tomorrow is Yesterday: How many times have they time traveled, and more specifically, to earth's past?

Let's see... off the top of my head, there was the origin of life on Earth, Mark Twain, Roswell, Captain Christopher, Gary Seven, saving the whales, that 1990s Voyager episode, the Bell riots, and Zefram Cochrane. Probably some others.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Powered Descent posted:

Let's see... off the top of my head, there was the origin of life on Earth, Mark Twain, Roswell, Captain Christopher, Gary Seven, saving the whales, that 1990s Voyager episode, the Bell riots, and Zefram Cochrane. Probably some others.

Xindi in Detroit
Captain Archer: The First Avenger

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Oxyclean posted:

Also, did I misunderstand something or did TOS establish the process as being rather easy? Like just slingshot around a sun? Hell, in Naked Time, they went back a few days with some matter-anti-matter implosion and they said "oh we'll have to remember that for the future."

I know time cops pop up a few times, and the Federation has a Temporal Prime Directive or whatever, but I'm kind of surprised the federations' enemies didn't somehow find out about these time travel techniques and just abuse them like crazy.

Apparently the Starfleet engineering manual doesn't have a subsection under "warp core cold restart" that says "WARNING: May cause you to travel back in time"

EDIT: also despite Spock saying they can use it to travel back to any point in time they want, they literally never use it again. It's always slingshotting around stars or chronitons or following another ship through the time vortex or whatever.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 3, 2019

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Writer 1: "Ha ha! Take this!"
Writer 2: "No."

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Naked Time’s ending was originally supposed to feed directly into Tomorrow is Yesterday instead of just being a semi-reset button.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pick posted:

Did you ever watch Ghost Writer? Like that.

haha Ghost Writer, nice

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
...wait, if DS9's security office can contain Odo via forcefields, why didn't they apply that same technology to their "oh no changeling infiltration!!" drills?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They said Odo's office was specially designed so the forcefields went through the walls and decks and made a complete box. I don't think retrofitting the entire Federation that way is practical.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Watching the baseball episode of DS9. Can't believe nobody mentioned it in Avery overacting.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
use the forcefield traps to force the changelings into funny, undignified shapes

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bedshaped posted:

Watching the baseball episode of DS9. Can't believe nobody mentioned it in Avery overacting.

That’s because he’s just acting like a regular baseball coach.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bedshaped posted:

Probably because Dorn and Aubernjois are also overacting.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Probably because Dorn and Aubernjois are also overacting.

Regular player and umpire.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Conflict is how you make baseball interesting.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Man, I guess if someone hands Tim Russ a telescope and he points it up at the sky, he's become an 'astronomer'

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
excuse me but I think someone who went to space every week for their job for 7 years knows a thing or two about space thank you very much

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
It doesn't say professional astronomer.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Animal-Mother posted:

It doesn't say professional astronomer.

it also doesn't say "star looker" ok

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

His Wiki page says literally nothing about astronomy at all.

But it does have this picture:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Brawnfire posted:

His Wiki page says literally nothing about astronomy at all.

But it does have this picture:

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Tighclops posted:

excuse me but I think someone who went to space every week for their job for 7 years knows a thing or two about space thank you very much

It's possible, however, that all this science he doesn't understand; it's just his job five days a week.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lul-Y8vSr0I

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

Conflict is how you make baseball interesting.

:lol: This dude is out for interference isn't he?

Orv
May 4, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

From the video of it I found nobody got clapped for anything, I just love the various reactions in that gif.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

I thought it might be from a movie. Also no, the batter’s box is for the batter. As long as the batter is just standing in it and not actively trying to block the play then it’s up to the catcher to avoid them.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The Mission Log Podcast has been on hiatus for a long time and it's for the best.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

All your incessant talk of DS9 has made want to start rewatching it tonight. But after the TNG remaster and ESPECIALLY after seeing the beautiful HD restoration in the documentary (looks even better than TNG, that lighting!) I'm sad it's gonna look like poo poo

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnUszxx2pYc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ-ECl5HC78

Holy poo poo, they actually went and made it. Transparent aluminium. It's fantastic when science fantasy becomes science reality.

breadshaped fucked around with this message at 11:57 on May 4, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Zesty posted:

The Mission Log Podcast has been on hiatus for a long time and it's for the best.

Yeah we talk about how Greatest Gen doesn't "get" DS9, and they often don't, but mission log doesn't get it so hardcore the have basically given up

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Mission Log was so into Gene's vision that it's no surprise they bounced off of DS9. Greatest Gen mostly feels like they kinda expected DS9 to be modern dark and serialized rather than... you know 90s that.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Welp, I'm starting Enterprise for the first time after neglecting it all these years and it's... not really terrible? It's been more enjoyable than Voyager so far, but maybe that's just because it's new to me. I kind of like what they were trying to do with Starfleet being new and certain technology that TNG takes for granted like transporters and the UT being new and a janky. The show has had it's share of cringy moments already but I actually kind of want to keep watching.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Enterprise is a hell of a lot more enjoyable than Voyager, especially after the first two seasons. It may not always stick the landing, but it at least tries to be different more and more as the series goes on.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Welp, I'm starting Enterprise for the first time after neglecting it all these years and it's... not really terrible? It's been more enjoyable than Voyager so far, but maybe that's just because it's new to me. I kind of like what they were trying to do with Starfleet being new and certain technology that TNG takes for granted like transporters and the UT being new and a janky. The show has had it's share of cringy moments already but I actually kind of want to keep watching.

It’s definitely a lot better than Voyager. It has its fair share of problems but if you made it through Voyager then Enterprise will be a breeze.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Enterprise squanders its goodwill fast. By the time they’ve gotten over the “whoa, new technology” aspect of it, you’re most of the way through the first season and there’s been maybe one and a half good episodes along the way. It does get better later, kind of, but it’s still a bad and boring show right to the end despite its best efforts to do anything interesting. I’d probably rather watch a random episode of Voyager than one of Enterprise.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I will give the Borg episode credit for being a lot better than I expected even if it relied on the borg never saying the word borg.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Also was the doctor from Enterprise meant to be some sort of hybrid between Neelix and the EMH? Decently entertaining character but only by virtue of trying to be Robert Picardo.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

skasion posted:

Enterprise squanders its goodwill fast. By the time they’ve gotten over the “whoa, new technology” aspect of it, you’re most of the way through the first season and there’s been maybe one and a half good episodes along the way. It does get better later, kind of, but it’s still a bad and boring show right to the end despite its best efforts to do anything interesting. I’d probably rather watch a random episode of Voyager than one of Enterprise.

The last random Voyager episode I watched was the Irish Village one. The one before was the one with the flashback to Janeway's boring ancestor. I've watched all of Entrprise and there is nothing even approaching how bad and boring those episodes are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Also was the doctor from Enterprise meant to be some sort of hybrid between Neelix and the EMH? Decently entertaining character but only by virtue of trying to be Robert Picardo.

Aw, that's not nice to say about John Billingsley