Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Sheep posted:

Anyone got a list of countries with unique events or decisions other than the Greek successors, Epirus, Carthage and Rome?

As far as I know if you exclude nation forming decisions (of which there is a good number) that list has exactly two entries:

Judea for some reason? I don't actually know what these do I can just see that there's something in the event files.

Tribal states in Central Asia who have a small bit of content relating to forming the Dahae federation and then Parthia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Syrakuse gets decisions to form sicily ir magna graecia

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

RabidWeasel posted:

Judea for some reason? I don't actually know what these do I can just see that there's something in the event files.

There's a bunch of Judea-specific events for Egypt (and maybe others, dunno) where Jews emigrate to Judea, which is probably that.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The sad thing is that Pyrrhus got Lunatic and died years before I even started invading Italy.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
my pyrrhus got lunatic as well! it might be paradox editorial commentary upon his half-manic life of military campaigning.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Also it turns out that if Sardinia breaks away from Carthage (which apparently happened as a consequence of them getting dropkicked off Sicily by Syracusa) they can have like 70 cohorts, which made the Sardinian campaign...interesting.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Speaking of Syracuse, I started this game tonight and am running into something annoying as heck

I sieged down "mliet" (malta) and it's telling me it isn't coastal or by my poo poo so I can't have it

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Senor Dog posted:

Speaking of Syracuse, I started this game tonight and am running into something annoying as heck

I sieged down "mliet" (malta) and it's telling me it isn't coastal or by my poo poo so I can't have it

It's a bug in 1.01, but was fixed in 1.02beta, broken again and hotfixed on the same branch.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Paradox really needs to go find some UX guys for their game development because jesus christ. This game looks like CK2 and is somehow jankier than even Hoi4. Think I'm just gonna let this stew until the first major update drops.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Threaten war is only for one city, unless I'm using it wrong?

Yes exactly, plus unless I am mistaken, the guy I am attacking and occupying in the first screenshot is one single province, and they didn't even get it all, you can see 3 cities left under my control :confused:

I think there is some wonkiness with tag recognition and wars since sometimes you'll have two Phrygias with different colors and rulers, or revolts from a country joining wars they have no business to be in, etc

Maybe that other neighbor interacted with my besieged enemy and the game somehow thought he was the actual occupier and put him into the war and then he proceeded to insta-peace out since the war was clearly won? :v:

Anyway, bug report submitted and another person already posted they have seen the same thing. Maybe this will get fixed in 1.1 because it's really lovely and gamebreaking, this can easily ruin an Ironman game if you don't keep ... uh... "backups" :D

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Sheep posted:

Anyone got a list of countries with unique events or decisions other than the Greek successors, Epirus, Carthage and Rome?

Pretty sure that's it. I've moved around loads and not seen any others, at least.
As long as you discount the "form X" ones anyway.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Chomp8645 posted:

Wow, the patch completely mucked up my Ironman save lol. My Republican Rome has been transformed into a Monarchy, all the faces are different, there are some Greeks in my government posts, there are no slots for national ideas, etc. And I'm not even using the beta patch.

I got Paradoxed!!!!

Every settled tribe in my game turned Imperial Cult.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Doing an Atropatene game finally made me get pissed off enough at the UI that I had to stop playing, because it's so loving awkward to see where you need to do all the various types of conversions when every province you conquer has like 3 different religions, 4 cultures and a gently caress ton of rear end making GBS threads tribesmen who all need different policies to get rid of. Also the Seleucids collapsed extra fast which was kind of anticlimactic (I fought a grand total of about 40k dudes and sieged down almost their entire country)

At least they've confirmed that the province UI is getting some info improvements.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
I hope it's a lot, kinda sad that they haven't learned from how crowded CK 2 can be, it's still the same design.
Why the hell is all the families on one screen so I have to scroll through a lot of ii names? Why not make it like the ledger and dedicate a page to each family? Click right to view the next one. Then it could fit the traits as well.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Zombiepop posted:

I hope it's a lot, kinda sad that they haven't learned from how crowded CK 2 can be, it's still the same design.
Why the hell is all the families on one screen so I have to scroll through a lot of ii names? Why not make it like the ledger and dedicate a page to each family? Click right to view the next one. Then it could fit the traits as well.

Often you just need to know which families you have (when deciding which families to integrate after conquering a country for example) so I wouldn't like a ledger system to be honest.

Biggest complaint is the provincial UI and lack of ledger.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Well, gonna start another campaign. Hopefully I get to finish this one before an official patch detonates everyone's saves.

2019 gaming LOL!!!!

L0VE
May 3, 2010
I know that a lot of UI complaints have been about some screens lacking information, but my main complaint is about the sheer amount of information drowning out my ability to pick out things at a glance.

This isn't just about the number of icons on the screen either. I'm completely fine with the 20+ buttons on this screen. Not saying that I can't imagine a UI where "Desecrate Holy Sites", "Raise Levies", "Raze City", "Build Road" and other niche buttons are filed behind a second button click, but I'm fine with them taking up space if Paradox wants it this way.

But the loving tooltips. I wasn't expecting massive improvements over EU4, but come on!

I'm at war, mousing over enemy units. I just wanna know, at a cursory glance:
* Their Martial Skill
* Their Composition
* Their Nationality

I guess putting in the Clan name and General name is fine, but why is the Zone of Control, supply limit and attrition numbers here? That information can be found if I hover over the city already!

I'm struggling to keep this post short because every screen I check is filled with extensive information that means I can't parse any of it.

'Hmm, did archers have a bonus against chariots? Let me just check the stats real quick'

If archers don't get any bonus or malus against heavy infantry, feel free to not display those at all! It's just making the tooltip 50 % larger for no good reason.

The worst offender that I can think of is the character tooltip though.

The dream would of course be that tooltips were context sensitive, trimming away information depending on the screen you were on, but I'm not expecting that ever. I just don't want 90 % of the information that is found on the character screen squeezed into a tooltip.
Seriously, if I wan't to know the Culture/Religion/Location, the loving pregnancy status of my character, I will go to the dedicated character page and I won't be upset that it wasn't in the tooltip, I promise.

It feels like the UI people at Paradox really took to heart all the criticism they got about requiring a dozen clicks to get the information you wanted in EU4, but then went waaay overboard trying to fit literally everything they could into one screen.

I don't know if I'm the odd one out here, so maybe providing a UI option of "limited tooltips" could be a solution for everyone. Or another dream solution of holding down a modifier key like alt to see expanded tooltips for when you want it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

L0VE posted:

'Hmm, did archers have a bonus against chariots? Let me just check the stats real quick'

If archers don't get any bonus or malus against heavy infantry, feel free to not display those at all! It's just making the tooltip 50 % larger for no good reason.

Also it seems like it would be better to show all the ones with a malus and then the ones with a bonus rather than the alphabetized version, but that one is probably something that could go either way.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

So I got a bunch of provinces that are pissed off at me, but they are my culture and religion. What more can I do to please them?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

L0VE posted:

I don't know if I'm the odd one out here, so maybe providing a UI option of "limited tooltips" could be a solution for everyone. Or another dream solution of holding down a modifier key like alt to see expanded tooltips for when you want it.

I genuinely hate that to mouse around the map I have to deselect the army I'm on because otherwise my screen is PACKED with that enormous goddamn box.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

guns for tits posted:

So I got a bunch of provinces that are pissed off at me, but they are my culture and religion. What more can I do to please them?

Trade routes to make certain populations happier for stuff like Olives, granaries for happy slaves. Also better governors and certain laws (I think on the latter, anyway).

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

guns for tits posted:

Easiest way to lower unrest is to station troops.

Put an army in the province with no general, and then there is a button you can press that assigns them to the governor, which lowers unrest by a lot.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The game is actually on "Mostly Negative" on Steam at the moment which is something I've never actually seen before.

ELO Musk posted:

Trade routes to make certain populations happier for stuff like Olives, granaries for happy slaves. Also better governors and certain laws (I think on the latter, anyway).

I dunno if it's just a Tribals thing but most of the time there's nothing to trade.

L0VE
May 3, 2010

Taear posted:

The game is actually on "Mostly Negative" on Steam at the moment which is something I've never actually seen before.

Kinda unfair I gotta say. Imperator at release reminds me of CK2 and EU4 at release in that they were very limited but fun experiences at the beginning.

I guess Steams review system is part of this, if someone thinks the game is 'mostly ok' they're just not gonna review the game, so you get a disproportionate amount of players who consider identical systems to be 'brilliant' in EU4 but 'terrible' in I:R.

E: Also I think I found a bug where the A.I will cheat movement lock. Apparently they can be attached to an ally and moving, even if the ally is standing still. So if the ally moves direction, the attachment follows, even if they were supposedly movement locked.

L0VE fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 4, 2019

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

L0VE posted:

Kinda unfair I gotta say. Imperator at release reminds me of CK2 and EU4 at release in that they were very limited but fun experiences at the beginning.

I guess Steams review system is part of this, if someone thinks the game is 'mostly ok' they're just not gonna review the game, so you get a disproportionate amount of players who consider identical systems to be 'brilliant' in EU4 but 'terrible' in I:R.

Ehhh, EU4 had way less poo poo going wrong or being wrong or not working on release. Sure, it also had less systems and mostly iterated on EU3:DW, but that doesn't somehow mean lower standards for games with more systems. This game is not polished. I still enjoy it, but I wouldn't write a positive review because the biggest positive would be "It'll be fixed at some point in the near future", which doesn't help the game as it is right now. It just means I'm not writing a negative one. I didn't play CK2 on release day, so I can't really comment on that, plus it's ages ago, so even if I did, I wouldn't trust my memories of it. EU4 I put in stupid amounts of hours in the first couple of weeks and the issues I ran into were minor. This game I've played much less of and had much bigger issues with, as well as found a bunch of stuff that is just "ehhhh".

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

EU4 was an enormous step up from EU3 and while Stellaris was a bit empty it was still something totally fresh that we didn't have otherwise so it still did well.
CK2 was a gigantic step up from CK1.

And there's also the fact that when they came out Paradox was much smaller and the fanbase was basically us here and that's it.

Rome is (right now) a bunch of really shallow mechanics and it doesn't take long to get bored of it.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Taear posted:

lol drat. Hopefully this means the patching will come thick and fast

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

L0VE posted:

E: Also I think I found a bug where the A.I will cheat movement lock. Apparently they can be attached to an ally and moving, even if the ally is standing still. So if the ally moves direction, the attachment follows, even if they were supposedly movement locked.

I think people have a weirdly skewed vision of release date CK2/EU4

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm not fond of EU4 even with all the updates, but CKII on launch was still a dynamic game with lots of unique mechanics. Meanwhile Imperator is a very limited experience that boils down entirely to countries turning into boring blobs.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

I'm not fond of EU4 even with all the updates, but CKII on launch was still a dynamic game with lots of unique mechanics. Meanwhile Imperator is a very limited experience that boils down entirely to countries turning into boring blobs.

This isn't entirely distinct from EU4 but at least the EU4 interface doesn't make my eyes hurt

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

L0VE posted:

At least for this, I feel like it's better this way. Having every unit type in the tooltip for every unit means you know exactly where the unit type you're looking for is every single time. You don't have to go hunting for it and then realize a few seconds later it's not there because there is no bonus. That would be bad. Having them all there seems both quicker and clearer. Also makes it easier to compare unit types.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 4, 2019

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
On the brightside, there's so much about I:R that's not fantastic but has potential that we are certainly going to get years of DLC so that we can spend more money on making a game go from being bad to being great

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Funky Valentine posted:

Also it turns out that if Sardinia breaks away from Carthage (which apparently happened as a consequence of them getting dropkicked off Sicily by Syracusa) they can have like 70 cohorts, which made the Sardinian campaign...interesting.

The AI is prone to spending all of its available manpower building units as soon as any war kicks off. I don't necessarily disagree with the strategy but it's certainly unexpected behavior from other Paradox titles where you have force limits.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Red thumbs down on Steam and on the top sellers list it fell to page 3 below Warhammer 2, the preorder for 3 Kingdoms and.. Skyrim Special Edition (not on sale afaik)

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Firebatgyro posted:

Easiest way to lower unrest is to station troops.

Put an army in the province with no general, and then there is a button you can press that assigns them to the governor, which lowers unrest by a lot.

What. How did I not know this.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah as someone who played CK2 and EU4 on release they weren’t great.

Though I think CK2 is kind of shielded by the fact CK1 was a barely functioning mess of a game. Which made CK2 look like a well polished machine by comparison

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Sampatrick posted:

On the brightside, there's so much about I:R that's not fantastic but has potential that we are certainly going to get years of DLC so that we can spend more money on making a game go from being bad to being great

This never happens. No game that had "potential" on instead of quality on release had ever become great. If you didn't like EU4 or CK2 or Stellaris on release you won't like them years later.

I don't think I:R is bad. I'm ok with its gameplay. And I think that very few people who don't like it now will change their mind even if paradox fixes every problem with UI and adds tons of favor.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

ilitarist posted:

This never happens. No game that had "potential" on instead of quality on release had ever become great. If you didn't like EU4 or CK2 or Stellaris on release you won't like them years later.

Oh come on, that's a load of poo poo, there've been plenty of games that've been turned around. Especially with Imperator where its issue is mostly sweet gently caress all in terms of content rather than its core systems being bad, there's every reason to believe it'll become dramatically better as long as Paradox doesn't drop it.

I think "mostly negative" is pretty unfair but at the same time I don't feel like I really wanna recommend it in its current state either. Paradox has dealt with bad steam reviews plenty of times though so I hope it's not gonna be a big deal.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

The sad thing is that Pyrrhus got Lunatic and died years before I even started invading Italy.

Do you have any tips for the start as Epirus? I tried earlier today and kinda bounced off of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
I just want to be able to see a province summary of pops so I can know at a glance if my governor should be culture converting, religion converting, raising civilization, or raising money. There are 10 million cities and no ways to do this (that I know of). How is this not easier to do?