Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

How can you dare to be so dismissive of a game that promises both to use polyhedral dice and feats?! Don't be such a stick-in-the-mud about a game that is being sold as a game that has game mechanics in this game about a game in the 1880s game world where you can game in it and make roles for your game adventures inside of the game with 3-8 players playing the game and the game master running the game that doesn't actually tell me anything about how to play the game.. Clear as day says I!

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Pretty unfortunate we can't get even a peek at the various horse maintenance subsystems.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Marc Miller wants you to give him another chance.

Traveller Fifth Edition, via @Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/traveller5/traveller-fifth-edition

I uh... Don't see this making nearly as much as the first time around.

e: It's kind of adorable there's a CD-ROM as part of the rewards.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 3, 2019

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

dwarf74 posted:

Traveller Fifth Edition, via @Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/traveller5/traveller-fifth-edition

Still seems to be doing pretty well for itself. Another quarter million doesn't seem totally unbelievable at this rate.

What was up with 5th edition? I've never really been into Traveller, so all I know about it is from forum posts so I don't have a firm grasp of the complaints, though I know there are some Opinions about which editions are worth anything.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

That Old Tree posted:

Still seems to be doing pretty well for itself. Another quarter million doesn't seem totally unbelievable at this rate.

What was up with 5th edition? I've never really been into Traveller, so all I know about it is from forum posts so I don't have a firm grasp of the complaints, though I know there are some Opinions about which editions are worth anything.
It was badly edited, nearly unplayable, and surpassed by the licensed Mongoose version in every way.

IIRC there also may have been production issues.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/872073245/mud-blood-and-glory

Just saw a link to this and yikes. While I always like a cool western, only offering a $50 hardcover rulebook and not even a full PDF of the finished product seems moronic. It sounds like it has a few cool ideas for a western RPG but I am pretty sure we will never get to find out.

This has some nice art but I'm definitely in the "pass" camp, too, with no sample of the rules or their approach to the setting. The lack of a full PDF is odd on top of all that.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm going to engage SHAMELESS SHILL MODE for a moment and, if you've been under a rock, link to the Lancer RPG Kickstarter, you know, the mech game by Tom Killsixbilliondemons and his partner in crime Miguel Lopez, being professionally laid out by our very own Jay Iles to boot. Lancer's a week out from wrapping up at well over its funding goal, but there's a final week stretch goal that just got dropped. If it gets up to $400,000 there's going to be a substantial upgrade to every currently existing stretch goal, adding new GM- and player-facing material to each supplement, new mechs, rules for playing as the Aun and their weird Guardian/Jedi space wizards and for playing as Egregorians, the cute bug people the humanity very nearly almost genocided into extinction back in the bad old days, among other things. If you haven't pledged yet, now's your chance to rectify your horrible life choices.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Fantasy Grounds is running a kickstarter for a new version built in Unity.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Some weird pricing decisions for existing users, but the stuff that's coming looks like good changes.
Finally some good map management support to make it not be entirely loving useless

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Why are they kickstarting it? Have we just fallen to the point were we are bare faced acknowledging that the main point of kickstarter is marketing?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

DalaranJ posted:

Why are they kickstarting it? Have we just fallen to the point were we are bare faced acknowledging that the main point of kickstarter is marketing?

That point was like five years ago.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Yeah, in what world is KS being marketing new/news?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It has always been a huge tool for visibility, and that was part of its launch pitch IIRC. The money collection part is just their revenue model.

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

the only genius in the whole fucking business
I'm going to be putting out an updated playtest doc for Flying Circus with some small fixes and a new armour and weapon system today. I was also thinking about making a thread for the game specifically here. Is that okay? Is that a thing I can do?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

:justpost:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yes.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Hey guys don't miss out on this super cool and legit card game. Don't worry, he's got licensing handled, so stop commenting at him.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1991325785/the-game-of-thrones-card-game/description

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 13:38 on May 7, 2019

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rydiafan posted:

Hey guys don't miss it on this super cool and legit card game. Don't worry, he's got licensing handled, so stop commenting at him.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1991325785/the-game-of-thrones-card-game/description
Nothing says "grim and gritty medieval setting" like a card background of...a diamond-pattern industrial steel walkway

Very evocative, looking at that makes me feel like I'm walking the castle walls of Winterfell!

(LOL even Kit Harrington can't believe this bullshit)

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

rydiafan posted:

Hey guys don't miss out on this super cool and legit card game. Don't worry, he's got licensing handled, so stop commenting at him.

Yeah, I saw this last night. Either it's a prank or this guy has legit mental issues and it's just sad.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

rydiafan posted:

HE TALKED TO THE HBO GUY OKAY.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

rydiafan posted:

Not only did his first two kickstarters fail, they were technically the same project for a horror video game. The first time he made $20, the second $75.

fake edit: holy poo poo I can't wait to see this person try to write the rules for a card game:

quote:

Welcome to Project Lila!! Please help to fund our Project Lila as we re-innovate and redefine the world of gaming, and we help to create a new sub-genre: fantasy - Love - horror. You should know that our creative team for Project Lila is exceptionally amazing and creative, and we need your help to get the resources that we need to make this story come to life. If we can reach our funding goals, we can create the most intricate circles of horror and madness! Help get us the funding we need so we can create the most awesome game-play that gaming has ever seen in the last decade! Help us make our dream for Project Lila become a reality!

YOUR MISSION IS TO BE A SOUL-SAVER!

real edit:

quote:

You deal out face down 30 cards to each player. You play on a board with three rows on each side.

You then pick up the cards and look at them and hide them from the other player. Each player takes a turn on the board putting their cards in the attack field. You also have an option to put cards in your defense slots. You cannot use the field with any cards unless they are injured, The field is for injured attacker cards.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 7, 2019

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I kind of wonder if I've met this guy in my occasional forays into Connecticut game stores.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
I love that he just forgot to put limits on like half of the "signed by the cast" pledge levels. Like, you convinced Peter Dinklage to sign an arbitrary number of copies of your game, but Samwell motherfucking Tarly put his foot down and said "I will sign no more than 100 copies of your crappy card game?"

Also, this pledge level really sums up the whole thing:

@An Entirely Real and Legitimate Kickstarter" posted:

Pledge $99 or more

Signed The Long Night Script

You will get a copy of the signed script (a copy) of The Long Night. It is signed by all the characters on the show on the front cover. comes with COA. Not all characters just Brienne, Ser Jorah, Lyanna Mormont, and the Red Woman. Again, Comes with Certificate of Authenticity, very limited.

:chefkiss:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

If somehow that script makes it into anybody's hands it's going to be just 'Brienne' 'Lyanna' and the like in the same handwriting, isn't it?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Someone in the comments pointed out that while this dude probably did indeed put in an application to licence GoT, he clearly also assumed that "we're reviewing your application" wasn't a stock response and that his request wasn't shoved to the bottom of a giant pile of paper.

Which, really, is just sad.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer
Nobody's had the bright idea to make a GoT card game before! This will be incredible!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Chubbs posted:

Nobody's had the bright idea to make a GoT card game before! This will be incredible!
The rights to make a GoT card game certainly aren't held by another company which paid a small fortune for them and will fight to defend their rights using the legal system.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
It's probably not any worse than the Cryptozoic deck builder I'm surprised we haven't gotten already.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

quote:

Chris Pendleton
about 2 hours ago
Quick question. I would like the Irone Throne as an add-on, not a replica but the actual Iron Throne used in the show.

I would like it signed by all the actors and signed by George Martin. Ideally, I would also like it signed by the current executives at HBO, although that's probably not practical.

Please let me know as soon as possible, as my son has an operation and I need to determine how to allocate my funds.

quote:

CCSCreator
about 2 hours ago
I'll see what we can do, thanks for the idea.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

e: It's kind of adorable there's a CD-ROM as part of the rewards.
MILLER: "Hey, remember how Classic Traveller came in three 48-page booklets?"
ME: "Why, yes, really it's one of the triumphs of the system that it was able to attain this sweet spot where it gave enough material to allow for endless play without going too overcomplex within those tight constrai-"
MILLER: "Well, T5 comes in three ~300 page books!"
ME: "..."

I have no explanation for Miller's continued use of CD-ROMs as a medium for selling people poo poo. It completely baffles me.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I vaguely remember that during the last Traveller kickstarter, Miller wasn't going to provide digital copies to backers because he felt it was too impractical to burn and send out so many CD-ROMs.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Clearly he is the one man still on dialup AOL.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
It’s not his fault. He came from a T6 civilization,he doesn’t understand this T7 stuff.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

I vaguely remember that during the last Traveller kickstarter, Miller wasn't going to provide digital copies to backers because he felt it was too impractical to burn and send out so many CD-ROMs.
Yeah at best that takes 5 minutes out of your life, per CD. It's just bizarre, when everyone backing you on Kickstarter automatically has Internet access.

Marzipan Pig
May 5, 2019

God, I'm tired
Have any of you guys one a CMON kickstarter before? I've pledged for the Bloodborne miniatures and am way too excited.

I pledged to the Dark Souls one (which I know was run by another company) but someone stole most of it when it was delivered and I never managed to replace it. Im going all in on this one to make up for my deficit of FromSoft miniatures.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Marzipan Pig posted:

Have any of you guys one a CMON kickstarter before? I've pledged for the Bloodborne miniatures and am way too excited.

I pledged to the Dark Souls one (which I know was run by another company) but someone stole most of it when it was delivered and I never managed to replace it. Im going all in on this one to make up for my deficit of FromSoft miniatures.
Most CMON miniature games are my real guilty pleasure. Their drip-drip stretch goal updates combined with aggressive FOMO (fear of missing out) targeting get me even though I know what they're doing.

The games aren't half bad and they have good minis. Better than good minis and horrible games.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Marzipan Pig posted:

CMON games are generally fine and they have a good track record in not-imploding before a product is delivered. At the very least, the Bloodborne IP will guarantee the game has resale value if you end up not liking it. People make fun of them more for the way they strack stretch goals on, but they've certainly hit an effective way to wring money out of their Kickstarters.

Marzipan Pig
May 5, 2019

God, I'm tired
Oh I dont care at all about the quality of the gameplay - I am in it entirely for the minis to paint and display.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
^^^

this guy knows whats up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So how badly do you think our dipshit president's Chinese tarrif increase will gently caress over Kickstarters?