Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Silver Nitrate posted:

MABAS has been activated so hazmat from all over is going to come in now.

Guessing a lot of that will be Urban Search and Rescue as well.

Edit:
US&R dog tax

Zisky fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Ague Proof posted:

No, just an iPhone.
Haha :hf:

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Fallom posted:

How are these people so loving stupid and crazy? It would almost be a relief for tech billionaires to appear cunning and intelligent instead of touched in the head.
Gosh it’s like being the kind of psychopath that would actively make the world a worse place so they can run up money points on a scoreboard they otherwise do nothing with might be hosed in the head in other ways too

Quite the revelation

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Not to poo poo on Lowtax but he actually did, like, essentially put his thumb on the scale to make SA less left and more welcoming to lovely internet dudes almost a decade ago, and the rationale was literally “the sjws on SA are outta control and they’re killing all the free speech”.

GBS was something approaching a chaotic good/neutral 2011-version of “woke” before he basically purged it and gave it to FYAD. Like, practically overnight it went from a place where people would dogpile on transphobes to a place with threads of just literally pages and pages of “ironic” rape jokes.
I first discovered SA through Photoshop Phriday, which led to GBS, which led to everything else on the forums. GBS's sudden devolution into FYAD-lite was a huge disappointment in many ways, not least because it meant the end of all those awesome Photoshop threads.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

CubanMissile posted:

My guess it's something like the PEPCON explosion.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEPCON_disaster

Pepcon was (at least)several orders of magnitude larger and due to entirely different causes. That looks horrible and certainly is going to be bad if the plant was in any way under-way (and it sounds like it was), but that footage is from significant under a km judging by the shockwave and sound travel time

E: yeah that video is from like 1500 feet away and you don't even hear many car alarms going off or broken glass

E2: Not trying to be all 'that blast aint poo poo' while people are still in the hospital, because that's definitely some bad poo poo. However look up a list of industrial explosions by country and be prepared to be blown away by how common huge blasts are.

Payndz posted:

I first discovered SA through Photoshop Phriday, which led to GBS, which led to everything else on the forums. GBS's sudden devolution into FYAD-lite was a huge disappointment in many ways, not least because it meant the end of all those awesome Photoshop threads.

That poo poo seems to happen everywhere where the modern 'hey don't be a huge fuckin bigot' attitudes seems to take hold: there's always a dying gasp of white dudes trying to push back with edgy 'ironic' bigotry. It's like clockwork

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 07:53 on May 4, 2019

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
It’s been a really bad year for chemical workers

https://www.aiche.org/ccps/chemical-accidents-news

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Yeah the EPA and all othe rapplicable oversight getting completely gutted and headed by incompetent industry fuckup stooges is going to kill a lot of workers before this is done.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Maduro should destroy the traitor Guaido.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
At least Lowtax eventually realized that the ironic racism routine was super hosed up and ditched it

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Pepcon was (at least)several orders of magnitude larger and due to entirely different causes. That looks horrible and certainly is going to be bad if the plant was in any way under-way (and it sounds like it was), but that footage is from significant under a km judging by the shockwave and sound travel time

E: yeah that video is from like 1500 feet away and you don't even hear many car alarms going off or broken glass

E2: Not trying to be all 'that blast aint poo poo' while people are still in the hospital, because that's definitely some bad poo poo. However look up a list of industrial explosions by country and be prepared to be blown away by how common huge blasts are.

That poo poo seems to happen everywhere where the modern 'hey don't be a huge fuckin bigot' attitudes seems to take hold: there's always a dying gasp of white dudes trying to push back with edgy 'ironic' bigotry. It's like clockwork

At least in '88 Henderson was the edge of the city and almost no one lived around there. It would have been so much worse in the present day.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
This reminds me of the story I was told in trade school. Big commercial construction job. The natural gas company pumped them gas without the scent additive in it + someone did a lovely job closing a valve at the job site. Massive explosion.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Ague Proof posted:

No, just an iPhone.
I laughed.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Squalid posted:

all the interviews from Guatemalan prostitutes who frequented his house are that hes not interested in conventional sex anyway, he had a special hammock constructed for them to poop in his mouth

I really did not need to know this.

This on the other hand is good

https://twitter.com/josheidelson/status/1124029123314298880

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Herstory Begins Now posted:

It’s interesting because it isn’t the first time something similar happened. Back in 2000-01 there was an equivalent to GBS on the HardOCP forum called General Mayhem. There was some beef with SA and if I recall they tried brigading GBS. HardOCP decided to entirely remove General Mayhem, which led to the creation of a stand alone forum called GenMay.

It was super chuddy and a lot of them were banned from SA. We all sort of filtered into either GenMay or SA but not both. I chose SA.

GBS was cleaned up significantly in the early 2000s. Hell Dump 2k helped, actually, because as we’ve learned exposing the chuds and deplatforming them works.

Problem is, then you get the banned chuds starting poo poo like Encyclopedia Dramatica and 8chan.

Some of us old timers should get together to write a book so that there’s more than that dumbass one out there.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Party Plane Jones posted:

https://twitter.com/JSOPIO/status/1124506148256743424

so a 737 went long at jax and ended up in the drink

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/05/04/us/military-plane-crash-bormann-passenger/index.html

Military personnel and civilian workstaff from Guantanamo are being held in custody by border patrol because they lost their IDs in the crash.

Also, all those poor pets. Sorry to hear that part.

Man, its almost like we should have something that ensures our airlines are safe to fly. Maybe an administration of some sort.

Lol nah put another lobbyist stooge on the cabinet.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

J.A.B.C. posted:

Military personnel and civilian workstaff from Guantanamo are being held in custody by border patrol because they lost their IDs in the crash.

:lol: beautiful

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's real fun living with someone who idolizes and worships Boeing. Like, treats them the way a chud treats Trump. Every news story involving aircraft is a reason for him to rant against Airbus or the FAA or the pilots and explain why Boeing is the only good player in the game.

The 737 MAX thing throws him into a rage because he insists the planes are perfectly fine and it's the fault of pilots from insufficient foreign training programs who don't know how to fly planes.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

luxury handset posted:

he had pancreatic cancer, which is usually fatal, but he had the rarer form of it which is treatable and survivable

he chose not to treat it medically but rather using alternative methods, until it was too late

This is true.

Source: a guy who treats pancreatic cancer.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Now they just need to keep them in stress positions the entire time they're in custody. Y'know, for reasons.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

Now they just need to keep them in stress positions the entire time they're in custody. Y'know, for reasons.

Those fatigues might be from a foreign army. They better send them to gitmo to be safe.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1124653429366906882

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The Glumslinger posted:

At least Lowtax eventually realized that the ironic racism routine was super hosed up and ditched it

I'm not gonna give a whole bunch of credit to someone who should have known better than to do it in the first place.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

So strong and brave.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
that tweet is way too jargon-y.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The Glumslinger posted:

The ugly events that led to the creation of TGRS isn't exactly a mark in his favor.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

https://twitter.com/AlexWardVox/status/1124657345743720449

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Its good to know that no amount of wealth will actually give you one iota more critical thinking skills than the average person.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

So he poo poo himself in anger.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

He is been retweeting alt right twitter all day.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

He is been retweeting alt right twitter all day.

How is this different from any other day?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

NewMars posted:

How is this different from any other day?

more so i guess. i mean he has retweeted Paul watson like 3 times.

https://twitter.com/DeepStateExpose/status/1124398061957079042

also this.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Its good to know that no amount of wealth will actually give you one iota more critical thinking skills than the average person.

I'd bet a significant amount of money that it actually does the opposite. Having more money to throw at things makes a person inclined to think less critically on the whole, because the consequences usually matter less.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1124670603179565056

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

jesus. i mean thats better than "WAAAR NOW" but holy gently caress, he is a pathetic groveling poo poo.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

It's really fascinating how much Trump reveals his deep desire for intimacy with other people through his tweets.

I imagine in his narcissistic brain, "great" people like Putin and Kim are the only ones worthy of his respect and companionship, so he goes out of his way to please them.

"He wouldn't break his promise to me! We're friends and he respects me...right, guys?"

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-01/a-new-way-of-voting-that-makes-zealotry-expensive

So this is kind of fascinating to me. I've jumped on the Ranked Ballot/STV train a long time ago... but there are weird side-effects (like the electorate having no clear idea about who's likely to win). This seems both intuitive and sort of curbs the power of bad-faith/single-issue actors. There are most likely a variety of ways to abuse this - create a number of policies that all sound different enough but are actually the same underlying set of outcomes, or have a number of candidates that all have roughly the same positions - but it could prevent a variety of negative side-effects (vote GOP no matter who, always vote for taking away abortion rights, that kind of thing).

(Please ignore the capitalist-sounding bullshit they've attached to the end of the article).

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1124672389416144905

and now its putin's turn in the kissing spot.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

It's really fascinating how much Trump reveals his deep desire for intimacy with other people through his tweets.

I imagine in his narcissistic brain, "great" people like Putin and Kim are the only ones worthy of his respect and companionship, so he goes out of his way to please them.

"He wouldn't break his promise to me! We're friends and he respects me...right, guys?"

In a way its honestly sad. like this dude legit believes these assholes are his genuine friends and takes their views over his own people/countrymen/IC/etc

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

No collusion, but think how awesome it would be if there had been collusion with this big, strong man and country!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Doctor Butts posted:

I'm not gonna give a whole bunch of credit to someone who should have known better than to do it in the first place.

Ehhhh, I'm back and forth on this. Pre 9-11, before social media, when the Internet was just college educated nerds online talking about pet interests; we were a lot more insulated and had a lot more faith in the average person. Being all about shock and stuff made a lot more sense, then, because I know that I, at least, felt that people were more like me and didn't take anything seriously.

I posted a little in FYAD until I met people from FYAD that were obnoxiously "trolling" comics in real life (ie. white dudes that matched the Internet nerd stereotype that were obnoxious and not funny at all), when I realized that, yes, people did take this stuff way too seriously.

9-11 made it obvious that much of the public just needed an excuse to show they were bigots (the kill them all sentiment), and the Obama era basically solidified how strong white supremacy and anti-lgbt stuff actually was in this country. I could see a lot of the pre-Obama stuff where you only went after blatant stuff, but post, it all depended after when you realized how prevalent this stuff was and how good people were getting at hiding it behind "jokes."

This regdate is pretty much when I switched my entire Internet persona around to just say what I felt instead of trying to be ironic/edgy, personally, and I retired my old username and post history along with it.