Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

Moola posted:

owning the libs by playing a lovely dead game

The one weapon that will end the SJWs for good is....

That... ranger lazer... Gun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

West007 posted:

I don't think this game is worth investing in by EA/Bioware. Just cut your losses and abandon ship.

They already invested in it.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Siljmonster posted:

They already invested in it.

I think the phrase here is 'throwing good money after bad.' Not just with Anthem, but with Bioware's continued existence in general.

Like, could this game get the Realm Reborn treatment? Could you Make Anthem Great Again? Yes.
Could the current Bioware do it? There's no real reason to think so, seeing as they've had so much trouble making basic fixes to loot, a system that everyone has been telling them desperately needs fixing.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
On the other hand, Square Enix was widely considered at its most moribund in its history at the time it was able to pull off realm reborn.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So EA needs to be in a free fall to make a good game again.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Crabtree posted:

So EA needs to be in a free fall to make a good game again.

Ironically, this actually is a core issue: FIFA Ultimate Team makes so much money that EA considers it and services like it their core business (rightly, from a strict profit perspective). A big reason for Bioware's recent failures (although hardly the only one) is EA poaching talented workers to have them work on FIFA or other, more MTX-profitable titles. Bioware simply isn't a good fit for EA's current business model; they COULD save Bioware if they wanted to, but unlike Square they don't have any reason to want to.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

West007 posted:

I don't think this game is worth investing in by EA/Bioware. Just cut your losses and abandon ship.

They already are. You don't indefinitely delay your first significant content patch on a game that was already barely keeping its head above water unless your intent is to watch it drown. The game's too much of a fiasco on nearly every level to maintain its marketability, and you don't invest the kind of money and time Square-Enix or Digital Extremes gave their problem children unless you've got something big to lose.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Vermain posted:

They already are. You don't indefinitely delay your first significant content patch on a game that was already barely keeping its head above water unless your intent is to watch it drown. The game's too much of a fiasco on nearly every level to maintain its marketability, and you don't invest the kind of money and time Square-Enix or Digital Extremes gave their problem children unless you've got something big to lose.

Didn't they market the game as having free DLC for the life of the game? Wouldn't that require them to at least put out some minimal content to avoid getting slapped by the EU/UK for false advertising?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what part of this game is loving dead you people dont understand?
they pushed back their own roadmap and the director is trying to save whatever the gently caress they are doing with DA4.

EA, just kill this loving company already

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Father Wendigo posted:

Didn't they market the game as having free DLC for the life of the game? Wouldn't that require them to at least put out some minimal content to avoid getting slapped by the EU/UK for false advertising?

Well there is one easy way to not get sued for by the EU/UK that EA is probably going to take.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Father Wendigo posted:

Yeah, because they managed this game so well throughout 5 years that they would also think about the fact that they could walk into a lawsuit. But that's also what "Live Services can End at any time" was created to try and cover abandoning a game.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Before killing it isn't the next step to go ftp to try and squeeze out a few more microtransactions?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Anthem, more like... Requiem!

Because it's dead!!!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Father Wendigo posted:

Loophole spotted.

*Walks into next room and yanks network cable out of server*

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Father Wendigo posted:

Didn't they market the game as having free DLC for the life of the game?

The game isn't going to be alive much longer, so they don't have to put out any DLC! :haw:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

Before killing it isn't the next step to go ftp to try and squeeze out a few more microtransactions?

They can finish up whatever microtransaction models are in the pipeline and then staff it with a skeleton crew if they really want to. At this point, though, they're probably just counting themselves lucky they got the number of box sales they did and managed to recoup at least a portion of the costs.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

On the other hand, Square Enix was widely considered at its most moribund in its history at the time it was able to pull off realm reborn.

It took years and SE pumped personnel and talent into the game to salvage it. The first thing that Bioware did with Anthem post release was gut the staff for another game and send it to a live time that handles other games at the same time

ARR was essentially a new game using reused assets from the old FFXIV

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

It took years and SE pumped personnel and talent into the game to salvage it. The first thing that Bioware did with Anthem post release was gut the staff for another game and send it to a live time that handles other games at the same time

ARR was essentially a new game using reused assets from the old FFXIV

Actually pretty much no assets are reused. Hell there’s probably more polygons in a FFXIV original flower pot than in an ARR full party.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It's fair to say that FFXIV was the do-or-die release for SE, because a numbered Final Fantasy flopping as badly as 1.0 did when they were in the financial straits they were in would've probably shuttered the company. If it means your company doesn't collapse, you're willing to pull out all the stops. Anthem is a brand new IP for a parent company that's already making billions a year off of multiple other franchises; it's not worth the Herculean level of effort it would take to rescue it.

hobbesmaster posted:

Actually pretty much no assets are reused. Hell there’s probably more polygons in a FFXIV original flower pot than in an ARR full party.

There was a heavy amount of asset reuse between 1.0 and 2.0. Hell, 2.0 took it a step further by ripping assets directly from other FF titles because of how ridiculously pressed for time they were.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Chomp8645 posted:

Anthem, more like... Requiem!

Because it's dead!!!

I want residuals every time this post gets used.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Serious post: mods please edit the OP to warn people not to waste money on this game

:siren: DO NOT GIVE BIOWARE MONEY :siren:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if there is a venn diagram that compares people who still play Anthem with people who played Lawbreakers & Radical Heights right up until the end.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

DancingShade posted:

I wonder if there is a venn diagram that compares people who still play Anthem with people who played Lawbreakers & Radical Heights right up until the end.

Every game has that point decimal percent of players where it hits just the right spot in their dopamine channels and gives that near-infinite fulfillment even when it's dog poo poo and the content has long been exhausted.

Everyone has just one or two games in their entire lives that inexplicably did exactly this for them. It's just pure chance what game that may be. It might be a good one or it might be a terrible one.

these people are the ones with thousand+ hours logged on their steam reviews yet gives it a thumbs down anyway

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
World of Warcraft and THPS2 for me

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Every game has that point decimal percent of players where it hits just the right spot in their dopamine channels and gives that near-infinite fulfillment even when it's dog poo poo and the content has long been exhausted.

I have way too many hours in both Marvel Heroes and Mechwarrior Online, but even I couldn't stick with Anthem.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I got a Lawbreakers tshirt frommplaying their demo at PAX East and I wore it twice before the game died.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kaysette posted:

I got a Lawbreakers tshirt frommplaying their demo at PAX East and I wore it twice before the game died.

Did you bury the shirt in the backyard?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

No but I did donate it along with the Activision tshirt I got.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Moola posted:

Serious post: mods please edit the OP to warn people not to waste money on this game

:siren: DO NOT GIVE BIOWARE MONEY :siren:

I already edited the OP

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

I already edited the OP

Wow, you certainly did.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

That is some REAL TALK now, drat what a contrast to the former OP lol

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

I already edited the OP

thanks

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

It's really too bad this game turned out to be a turd. :( Hopefully we'll get an actual good AAA multiplayer game someday.

It's funny how much better Div2 is than Anthem. Loot absolutely everywhere.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

I already edited the OP

You still need to add one of Moist's gifs to really drive it home.

https://i.imgur.com/o8s8PaJ.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/oZ5YswE.gifv

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

If no dance, then please just shut the game down, Bioware. Just don't even bother. Please put a dance hall in the game.

I guess they didn't listen :(

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Crabtree posted:

It is real easy for a discord to get racist, especially when you make a loving swastika skin and then not really apologize for its existence - but hey, I'm sure that was all Discord's fault.

Wait... what? Pix?

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
It's an elaborate mind game, the plan here is for EA to get us to beg to have Bioware canned

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Von_Doom posted:

Wait... what? Pix?

It's very subtle.

I still love that the symbol is clearly highlighted in that circular piece of armor, just in case you were thinking this is just a weird oversight; some chud on the team intentionally did this, and no one else on the team noticed or cared.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

I already edited the OP

have you learned your lesson regarding acting as an unpaid marketing agent for unreleased dubious looking products

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Yes maybe next time put the onus for making the game better on the devs rather than the players

"We've got lots of work to do, goons!" lol

Kudos for the OP change though