Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Bless This Mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gripweed posted:

Fire Emblem Echoes has very long cutscenes for a mobile game

It's a remake of an NES game.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's a remake of an NES game.

Then it has long cutscenes for an NES game

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It has an expensive rear end season pass too. $45. More expensive than the actual game. Outrageous.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
So my 3 year old daughter loves playing Mario 3D World and Super Mario Bros 2. I’m looking to get her a new game that I think she can handle but I’m having trouble finding another game like those. I was thinking maybe Mario Maker because there are so many new levels she can try. Any thoughts?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Captain Toad and Yoshi's Wooly World. I have three kids and speak from experience.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Mario maker 2 is coming in a month as well.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Captain Toad and Yoshi's Wooly World. I have three kids and speak from experience.

Captain Toad did not stick at all and we also have Wooly World. I’m trying to get her use to aiming the yarn because she’s not use to it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Should I go red or black?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Red because too many consumer electronics just go for a plain black these days.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Mario maker 2 is coming in a month as well.

My day just got brighter from remembering this.:unsmith:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ItBreathes posted:

Should I go red or black?

Go for both and become an ancom.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I found a still in shrinkwrap copy of Steel Diver for 3 dollars in the clearance section of a Half Price Books!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Just got my refurb 3DS, if I want to home brew, safe to update to current version?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I swear to god, if Fire Emblem ends with Alm marrying his not-sister instead of Clair I'm throwing this thing through a window

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Gripweed posted:

I swear to god, if Fire Emblem ends with Alm marrying his not-sister instead of Clair I'm throwing this thing through a window

By not-sister you mean... Faye? I hope you don't mean Celica because Celica isn't even kinda sorta related to Alm. She's not even from Ram Village originally...

Either way uh, I have bad news for you...

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Silver Falcon posted:

By not-sister you mean... Faye? I hope you don't mean Celica because Celica isn't even kinda sorta related to Alm. She's not even from Ram Village originally...

Either way uh, I have bad news for you...

I meant Celica. The whole opening was about them growing up together with their granpapa, so close that everybody thought they were related and also were going to get married, but then it's stated very explicitly that they're NOT BLOOD-RELATED.

damnit, I thought the whole point of Fire Emblem was you got to decide who marries who?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Gripweed posted:

I meant Celica. The whole opening was about them growing up together with their granpapa, so close that everybody thought they were related and also were going to get married, but then it's stated very explicitly that they're NOT BLOOD-RELATED.

damnit, I thought the whole point of Fire Emblem was you got to decide who marries who?

Thats only the modern Fire Emblems. Echoes is an incredibly faithful remake of a 25+ year old game that was made before that was a thing in the series.

Its also why it has really weird and janky as gently caress mechanics like the Villager->Mercenary->Dread Fighter->Villager infinite promotion loop or the awful map design.

And you only really get the full 'anyone can marry anyone!' stuff in Awakening and Fates, the 3DS games. Some earlier games in the series have limited ability to hook different people up, but not nearly to the same degree.

Zore fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 5, 2019

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

TraderStav posted:

Just got my refurb 3DS, if I want to home brew, safe to update to current version?

yes, I just did it a couple weeks ago (https://3ds.hacks.guide)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Zore posted:

And you only really get the full 'anyone can marry anyone!' stuff in Awakening and Fates, the 3DS games. Some earlier games in the series have limited ability to hook different people up, but not nearly to the same degree.

I can't believe I bought the only lame 3DS Fire Emblem

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

Honestly? After playing Awakening and Fates/Conquest, I kinda welcomed the stripped-down mechanics.

Also, from a story/base conversation point, both armies have a bunch of tremendous dorks (including Alm himself!) and I cannot, in good faith, stay mad at all the dorkery for too long.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Wark Say posted:

Honestly? After playing Awakening and Fates/Conquest, I kinda welcomed the stripped-down mechanics.

Also, from a story/base conversation point, both armies have a bunch of tremendous dorks (including Alm himself!) and I cannot, in good faith, stay mad at all the dorkery for too long.

I'm still dragging myself through Awakenings through spite now. I really didn't like the game all that much. The only good FE for me at this point were the GBA ones and I'm a bit cool on Sacred Stones, and the GC ones, which all were decently written with far more tolerable characters.

Stripped down FE is also way better too, there's almost so many options in Awakenings that I feel way too inclined to min/max the whole thing. I eventually stopped to just play the game, but it was hard to get around that. Unfortunately, none of the map designs felt particularly interesting, and a lot of the challenge is from just being overwhelmed by unexpected reinforcements. I felt like there was less tactics and more just surviving waves of enemies.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, like I just got around to playing Echoes a few months ago, and while the game is not without flaws/cons, the pros have endeared me a great deal on it.

Also, out of the three games done by IntSys (not getting Warriors until I get the Switch), it probably has my favorite translation/localization.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm still dragging myself through Awakenings through spite now. I really didn't like the game all that much. The only good FE for me at this point were the GBA ones and I'm a bit cool on Sacred Stones, and the GC ones, which all were decently written with far more tolerable characters.

Stripped down FE is also way better too, there's almost so many options in Awakenings that I feel way too inclined to min/max the whole thing. I eventually stopped to just play the game, but it was hard to get around that. Unfortunately, none of the map designs felt particularly interesting, and a lot of the challenge is from just being overwhelmed by unexpected reinforcements. I felt like there was less tactics and more just surviving waves of enemies.
Having only played Shadow Dragon, Sacred Stones, Radiant Dawn and awakening I mostly Completely agree with your opinion.
I finished awakening, but I have no desire to replay it.

I started fates, but dropped. I'm going to go back to it later. I already have the collectors edition of shadows waiting for me.

I replayed Radiant Dawn 2-3 times, including twice back to back. I played sacred stones 1.5 times.

The graphics just lost something going to 3ds and all the fluff and kids stuff does little to endear it to me.
I'm probably not going to pick up 3 houses.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Echoes' maps are just so boring. I keep trying to keep playing it but I can't do it, it's mind numbingly dull.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Gripweed posted:

No, the lame 3DS Fire Emblem is Fates. Echoes is fine.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Silver Falcon posted:

No, the lame 3DS Fire Emblem is Fates. Echoes is fine.

The only Fire Emblem game I played before this was Warriors, and my favorite characters were the purple haired lady on a dragon and the girl with a massive dress and a massive axe, so I think that Fates is probably the best

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Fates is at least fun to play even if its story isn't good.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Darth TNT posted:

Having only played Shadow Dragon, Sacred Stones, Radiant Dawn and awakening I mostly Completely agree with your opinion.
I finished awakening, but I have no desire to replay it.

I started fates, but dropped. I'm going to go back to it later. I already have the collectors edition of shadows waiting for me.

I replayed Radiant Dawn 2-3 times, including twice back to back. I played sacred stones 1.5 times.

The graphics just lost something going to 3ds and all the fluff and kids stuff does little to endear it to me.
I'm probably not going to pick up 3 houses.

I really loved Blazing Blade (FE 7) and played that one many times on all difficulties, getting the supports etc. I did the same with the two GC ones. What endeared me to those games, besides the gameplay, was the writing of the characters. They had pretty detailed personalities that were more fully explored in the support conversations. They could only support certain characters and while several endings could contradict (who marries etc) it was pretty well-fleshed out. Sacred Stones was just a bit weird and I could never quite get around the two main lords extra-close relationship. Also, everyone seemed to be so serious all the time. Plus there were more options than in FE 7, which felt detrimental to the strategy of the game.

In Awakenings, making it possible to talk to anyone makes for very dull conversations centered around a character's gimmick, which are all pretty dumb.

The graphics also lost a lot of the charm from the sprite work. Even Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn had far better 3D models than what the 3DS offered.

If the whole relationship thing is back in for 3 Houses, and there's no reason it won't be, that seems to be the big draw of FE these days, then same. I won't be getting it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Gripweed posted:

The only Fire Emblem game I played before this was Warriors, and my favorite characters were the purple haired lady on a dragon and the girl with a massive dress and a massive axe, so I think that Fates is probably the best

Fates' story and writing are a trash dumpster fire, where the main fuel component is poo poo. If that doesn't bother you, Conquest has the best mechanics and map design of the whole series.

If you just like wyvern axe ladies (and who doesn't?) and axe girl in a dress (that would be Lissa), then Awakening is your jam too! No Camilla but you do get other flying axe ladies. And the writing isn't trash tier. Map design is pretty bad, still.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

TraderStav posted:

Breadallelogram posted:

yes, I just did it a couple weeks ago (https://3ds.hacks.guide)

The actual answer is "no".

If you already did, you can downgrade from any version with the right hardware because the 3DS has hilarious signing failures, but that requires you to acquire the right hardware somehow.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

If you already did, you can downgrade from any version with the right hardware because the 3DS has hilarious signing failures, but that requires you to acquire the right hardware somehow.

Is 11.9 not the most recent firmware?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

:holymoley:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Breadallelogram posted:

Is 11.9 not the most recent firmware?

Given it's a refurb, it'd be unusual for it to have anything but newer than 11.4.0 at which point 11.9.0 is safe, but there's an off chance it's got an old-rear end firmware that'd make the process much easier.

Of course, the point is moot if you have the hardware to bypass boot or are willing to solder the nand into a flash reader.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

endlessmonotony posted:

You can hack any firmware including the most recent one. You need to do a bunch of extra steps like downloading SubWars or whatever it's called, hack its save, get certain information into a bot that will try to break the sig key of your system, etc. But it's doable.

Unless something changed drastically recently? I hacked my main system fully updated like two or three months ago.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oh wow, I didn't realize just how blatantly they were ripping off the Great Fairies and Legend of Zelda at-large :eyepop:. I'm surprised Nintendo didn't slap it down on general principle. Even the font's and style of the title's almost blatantly stolen from Wind Waker.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A lot has changed. No soldering, no Sub Wars necessary. The NTR Boot method is the way I've been doing it and it's easy.

https://3ds.hacks.guide/ntrboot

You'll need to buy a DS flash cart for this method, but it won't matter what firmware you're on. Definitely ask in the Nintendo Homebrew thread if you need assistance.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Saoshyant posted:

You can hack any firmware including the most recent one. You need to do a bunch of extra steps like downloading SubWars or whatever it's called, hack its save, get certain information into a bot that will try to break the sig key of your system, etc. But it's doable.

Unless something changed drastically recently? I hacked my main system fully updated like two or three months ago.

You can hack any given firmware with enough Chinese tools or can-fry attitude, the 3DS isn't exactly flawlessly protected.

Still Nintendo can block the software methods in newer firmwares if they care (and given the hardware tricks, they don't really) and thus at any time a new firmware could block the software methods, and the SubWars method is just utter arse to use compared to the easier methods - and somewhat easier to gently caress up - and thus, it's not exactly safe to update to latest without knowing which version, exactly, you're updating from and to.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Gripweed posted:

Zore posted:

At least in Awakening, it was only your player avatar who could hook up with anyone (of the opposite gender, but the avatar can be either so if there's a character you really like, you can do that). You can only marry S-rank Supports, IIRC, of which characters other than the Avatar only had a few. For example, Chrom only has Sumia, Olivia, and like two or three others (notably, not with Cordelia, who actually has a crush on him in-game). Some characters didn't have S-Ranks with anyone (other than an opposite-gendered Avatar) and wouldn't be able to marry if they're not the one who ends up with the player, IIRC. Granted, that's still more choice than most previous FE games offered, but it's a far cry from "anyone with anyone".

Fates may have changed that up (I haven't played it and my only experience with its cast is Warriors), though.

Gripweed posted:

"Girl with a massive dress and massive axe" is probably Lissa, who is from Awakening, not Fates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Fates is in a similar ballpark to Awakening that a bunch of dudes and ladies can marry a bunch of dudes and ladies, but I think that it's only your unit the one who can romance the whole bunch.