Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Cool new female Queen Padme

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Girls don’t even watch Star Wars so it’s not fair that they get to be in the movies, IMO.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

desperate for female role models in Star Wars so they can be portrayed as simpering retards again.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
rogue one is severely overrated

it is "the best" and "most star wars-y" of the disney era though, so i guess it gets a pass (story, characters, acting: all garbage)

on a positive note, someone posted a clip from the auralnaughts' star wars dub leading me to learn about the auralnaughts star wars dub, i must say i highly recommend it. the concluding episode was solid gold

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.
It's called Star WARS not star GIRLS! :argh::reject:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jar jar binks was trans

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Also BTW at this point A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back are the least Star Warsian; being good movies makes them unlike the rest of the series

Solo was alright, Rogue One was bad, the prequel trilogy was terrible, tfa was okay, tlj was bad

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

QuarkJets posted:

Solo was alright, Rogue One was bad, the prequel trilogy was terrible, tfa was okay, tlj was bad

Welp, it took 42 pages but time to close the thread. We received a definitive answer on what’s good, alright, terrible, okay and bad. Wrap it up nerds.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

RaySmuckles posted:

it is "the best" and "most star wars-y" of the disney era though, so i guess it gets a pass (story, characters, acting: all garbage)

on a positive note, someone posted a clip from the auralnaughts' star wars dub leading me to learn about the auralnaughts star wars dub, i must say i highly recommend it. the concluding episode was solid gold

But Dark Vader was so badass at the end! He killed a bunch of faceless good guys and was so strong, he made me feel strong to watch him and

Just kidding but Rogue One really was bad. I don't know if the original cut was actually good or not, but I'd lay money it was better than the final version in that it probably had more coherence in its characters and its plot and its tone. It's possible that a lot of the problems with the action scenes were still there(there are few pre-established goals in the assault and pretty much all subordinate challenges arise on an ad-hoc basis and get resolved the same way) but I bet there was at least one scene in there where the characters have an actual conversation

Like the reverse of that video the goon posted upthread about how the original Star Wars was saved in editing(thanks for posting that poo poo btw, I hadn't seen it), it's also quite possible to gently caress up a movie in editing as well

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Rogue One has been the best Star Wars movie of the last like 30 years. Yeah it still wasn't fantastic but it was the best Star Wars movie.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

Rogue One has been the best Star Wars movie of the last like 30 years. Yeah it still wasn't fantastic but it was the best Star Wars movie.

Solo and tfa were better

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Solo and tfa were better

I agree with this but not because I thought either of those movies were actually good, but they were largely functioning

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
All these mother fuckers had to do was adapt Knights of the Old Republic but nooooooo

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like I'm the odd one out in here for liking Solo actually but I think it wasn't as good as Rogue One, myself.

I fell asleep during TFA and have had no interest in finishing it so take that as you will.

Farrier Theaks posted:

All these mother fuckers had to do was adapt Knights ot the Old Republic but nooooooo

For real though.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

RaySmuckles posted:

It's a pretty low bar, but RO could have been so much better with a little bit of tweaking.

Stuff it did well:
Showing how the Empire works behind the scenes. I get a real "Third Reich backstabbing vibe from it.
Showing the rebels resources. They had a fleet, but couldn't just throw it into every battle that cropped up. They had to choose their moments.
The space battles were really well done, best out of all of the movies.
Cinematography was excellent. They did a good job picking their lighting, colours, and backdrops.

Stuff it did poorly:
Story, at least the first half. It was boring, slow, and all over the place.
They needed to flesh out Jyn and Cassian more, that way the audience actually cares what happens to them.
Drop the Saw story line entirely. It was dumb and a waste of time, and added nothing to the story.
Cut out Jedah altogether. If you drop Saw, you don't need that visit to Jedah.
Secondary Characters. There are too many. Lose saw, and Gun/Blind Monk. Keep the imperial defector.
Lose the Tantive IV, just have the Vader carnage being him trying stop them from transmitting the plans.
Fights in the first half of the movie. It felt more like an 80's Arnold movie with the heroes mowing down dozens of stormtroopers with relative ease. It really shows the plot armour, and makes them seem too capable. At no point did we ever see anyone else (jedi included) so easily dummy stormtroopers. If they skip the visit to Jedah, that would fix it. The Jyn/Cassian story should progress like a heist movie, the rebels provide the D-Day/Space battle.

Jyn: They're the two main characters, yet we know nothing about them other than the barest of back-story. I think the first 30-40 minutes of the movie should have just been them skipping from her storyline, to Cassian's and maybe some Empire progress on the Death Star. Have her remain in the imperial fold until she is grown up, and her mother is executed because of her father's actions. She manages to escape with the imperial defector's help, but the empire says they have been captured and uses her as a hostage to ensure her father finishes his work. Now we have a character who is potentially immensely valuable, but the Rebels are not sure about her loyalties since she (they) might be an imperial trap.

Cassian: Have his story start with the empire rolling through his home planet. Have them making him an orphan, and that gives us his motivation to join the rebels. We see him moving up the ranks, being a driven and optimistic rebel like Luke was. At some point he is betrayed by a friend who is an imperial operative (who he has to kill), and that gives us his current status as a very suspicious and hardened rebel who isn't afraid to do anything to protect the cause.

Story: Jyn and the Imperial pilot manage to make their escape from the empire, but are picked up by the rebels. Since they didn't seek them out, the Rebels are pretty much willing to either strand them on an outerworld planet, or even kill them until Jyn plays her bargaining chip. The Rebels are suspicious, but the information and potential stakes are too much to pass up. They send Cassian with Jynn to the raining research planet to try and free her father or kill Jyn if she is in fact a spy. It might even be cool to show how the Rebel leaders now use Cassian as a hitman, or they see him as a loose cannon which they might just prefer to have die on this mission (raises the stakes for Jyn/Cassian, and the scene where the rebels are debating helping them could be more suspenseful). From there the story can pretty much remain the same, and after Cassian sees Jyn lose her father he knows that she can be trusted, despite what the Rebel higher-ups say.

Edit: I watched TFA again, and felt like the Marvel Movies were leaking into it. The plot armour, the type of humour, and the abilities of the main characters were sort of jarring. At no time do we see Luke/Han/Leia in the OT act like unstoppable superheroes like Poe/Rey/Han did in TFA.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 5, 2019

get me HQ!
Jul 28, 2010

Aziz... spark that shit nigga
rogue one was not perfect but it gets better as it goes along to the point where the entire scarif sequence is top-tier star war. tfa is the opposite imo, it opens pretty solid bt then the end is not very good.

rogue vs. tfa is arguable, i'd go w rogue mainly because I think ep 8 made ep 7 worse in retrospect (as in, there's stuff in ep 7 that on first viewing I was like "oh interesting this could go somewhere" and then ep 8 was like "no this isn't going anywhere.").

lol if you think solo was better than rogue one though. solo is somewhat underrated but come on.

watching ep 2 right now (this tbs marathon is pretty legit) for the first time in prob 10 years and this poo poo is as weak as I remember. how the gently caress did hayden christensen get cast as vader.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

QuarkJets posted:

Solo was alright

:chloe:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

get me HQ! posted:

watching ep 2 right now (this tbs marathon is pretty legit) for the first time in prob 10 years and this poo poo is as weak as I remember. how the gently caress did hayden christensen get cast as vader.

He was in some sort of family drama movie just prior to casting and got decent reviews on his acting. Lucas thought that he could get a similar performance out of him by giving him poo poo lines, no useful direction, and asking him to act in front of a green bedsheet. The RLM plinket reviews do a really good job of showing how Lucas "directed" his actors.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Explain your opinion or difference of opinion instead of just posting a meme like an idiot

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Besides the way it fucks up drama and makes the action scenes boring, the thing that really struck me about all the hypercompetence running around when I was watching TFA the first time was how a lot of it seemed like a somewhat desperate plea to get me to like the new characters. Like check out this guy, he's so awesome at flying, won't you accept him into your Star Wars canon? Or how about this girl, even Han Solo's really impressed with her, of course we have these other beats where she's in situations where she doesn't know what she's doing but then she just naturally does it, aren't you impressed??

And it's like no not really, these characters are all fictional, the only limit on what they can do is what you can get me to believe they can do and you don't seem interested in convincing me of it. Simple depiction is not an argument. Like I can believe Luke is a real Jedi in RotJ just because it was built up to and we spent all this time with him before he became one. It's called a character arc

Even Finn, who is supposed to be kind of a bumbler and a coward initially, is somehow still a badass fighter despite being a janitor(I'm still unclear on whether or not this was supposed to be a lie), because otherwise The Fans would not accept him or some poo poo. Like imagine how much more exciting him taking on Kylo in the snow with Rey's lightsaber at the end would have been if it's his first time ever using the thing and he's just scared and desperate but he has to because he won't leave Rey behind. Instead it's like well we've already seen him kill stormtroopers with the loving thing so he kind of knows what he's doing

But Finn's worst crime is still yelling WOOHOO THAT'S ONE HELL OF A PILOT when Poe flies in and strafes a bunch of ground troops just to remind the audience of Poe's only character trait in that movie

get me HQ! posted:

the entire scarif sequence is top-tier star war

Actually it's very much not

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

get me HQ! posted:

rogue vs. tfa is arguable, i'd go w rogue mainly because I think ep 8 made ep 7 worse in retrospect (as in, there's stuff in ep 7 that on first viewing I was like "oh interesting this could go somewhere" and then ep 8 was like "no this isn't going anywhere.").

no, that's not how movies work wtf

get me HQ!
Jul 28, 2010

Aziz... spark that shit nigga

QuarkJets posted:

i dunno man, it's a series, it's fair to evaluate one entry in light of another. i enjoy tfa less in light of where the plot went in ep 8. :shrug:

it's like when a tv series has a really lovely ending, would probably make you reevaluate parts of that that you liked, e.g. lost or something like that.

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Actually it's very much not
if you didn't think the scarif battle was cool then like, what is it exactly you like about star wars?

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

QuarkJets posted:

i mean, mass effect 3 made the previous 2 worse in retrospect :shrug:

if the conclusion to a saga blows then it robs the previous entries of their promise and potential

game of thrones will 100% absolutely do this too cuz there's no way they're gonna wrap that up satisfyingly

lost got worse and worse as the audience realized "holy poo poo, no one has any idea where this is going and they're just doing things to do them...its all pablum"

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

but I bet there was at least one scene in there where the characters have an actual conversation

this is unironically my biggest gripe with the new movies. there are no scenes of them sitting around the dinner table bitching about wanting to go to pilot academy with their friends. no one is just sitting around playing space-chess. all those nice, chill scenes are what builds the world, invests the audience in the characters, and provides context for the ramp up of action. they're all so important to a good film. every time i see flashes of the old movies (just watched auralnauts star wars) those slow scenes where they're like buying droids or in a hanger talking as han fixes his ship all strike me as the ones i miss the most.

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 5, 2019

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

get me HQ! posted:

if you didn't think the scarif battle was cool then like, what is it exactly you like about star wars?

I like when characters I like and care about try to accomplish things that are meaningful to themselves and each other. A bunch of ciphers shuffling off to die to explain something from the OT that never needed an explanation in the first place is definitely not that

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

QuarkJets posted:

Explain your opinion or difference of opinion instead of just posting a meme like an idiot

you said solo is an all right movie and im the idiot? lol :ok:

actors are really bad (emilia clarke lmao, guy playing solo), story is bad and uninteresting, dialog is garbage, humor falls flat, entire premise is a big bunch of who gives a poo poo that did not need explaining in the first place (how did han solo become himself and get his spaceship? who cares), REMEMBER DARTH MAUL??

i could keep going on but why bother, it's a big giant pile of poo poo in nearly every possible way and you needing that explained is a sign that you are bad at movies

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
most importantly, it is a star war movie that LOST MONEY in the end

i mean how much of a bigger sign do you need that it was poo poo. even star wars crazies didnt like it

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Damo posted:

entire premise is a big bunch of who gives a poo poo that did not need explaining in the first place
haven't seen Solo but it's hard to imagine it having a more terminal case of this than rogue one

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

Saint Drogo posted:

haven't seen Solo but it's hard to imagine it having a more terminal case of this than rogue one

i completely agree with you. it has the same problem, actually a lot of the same problems, but at least has some fun action sequences and spectacle i guess that puts it above solo

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Saint Drogo posted:

How Han got his name
Where Han got his gun
How Han met chewie and came up with his nickname
How Han won the falcon
How the falcon got it’s nav computer
How Han met lando
The Kessel Run and what it means to do it in X parsecs

That’s just top of my head

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

It's almost like Disney had no loving idea what to do with Star Wars from a creative standpoint and have resorted to mostly treating it as an IP to mine rather than as a great launching pad for new stories

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The best aspects of SW films were always the drama/romance/wry humor arcs that delivered on the emotional premise of OPERA due to actor chemistry.

The reason why it was labeled Space Opera from the get-go was because it was an enjoyable and personally identifiable symphonic melodrama with special effects frosting on top. When you take away everything that allows the viewer to identify with the actual emotions, score, and actors...but you leave all the sfx frosting, it's not a satisfying meal. The original trilogy is acted, edited, and scored first and foremost to provoke melodramatic emotional response to sweeping events by way of actor chemistry.

Very few of the most memorable moments over time are straight up sfx scenes, but rather almost all of them involve heightened actor chemistry or emotional contemplation edited to sweeping score:

Luke staring at the sunset, Obi-Wan's sacrifice, Han's last-minute deathstar save, the medical room gathering after Luke's Wompa attack, Luke's fear of the cave, Han and Leia kissing for the first time, the cockpit banter and reactions to the asteroid field, the carbonite freezing scene, Lando's frustration and plans within plans, Luke's swordfight with Vader, Leia's vision of Luke hanging from the base of Cloud City, Yoda's passing, the cremation of Vader.

These are the things that are emotionally provocative and durable over time, and most of them involve minimal use of sfx. And, significantly, they are aspects of the OT that Lucas was always derisive about, as he was primarily focused on doo-dads and set dressing. Just look at all the unsubstantial, almost drivel-level changes he made to the OT in the Special Editions. All that time Lucas thought the audience actually gave a gently caress that Luke's landspeeder was too close to the ground or some poo poo...

Every SW film made after Jedi (except maybe small parts of Solo, which ain't no masterpiece) traded away most of these rather crucial and emotionally tangible elements instead opting for a huge helping of digital art direction. It's why they feel soulless and by-the-numbers.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Damo posted:

most importantly, it is a star war movie that LOST MONEY in the end

i mean how much of a bigger sign do you need that it was poo poo. even star wars crazies didnt like it

By this metric the Prequels would be pretty good, and so would Marvel movies. But they're not. They're all poo poo.

Ron Howard is a complete loving stooge but Solo at least tried something with its characters.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

You have brain damage if you think Rogue One has better space battles than ANH and RotJ.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'd say RotJ would be hard to top there, not purely because of the amazingly detailed composite work but also the editing of Deathstar II assault is incredibly precise and compelling.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Damo posted:

you said solo is an all right movie and im the idiot? lol :ok:

actors are really bad (emilia clarke lmao, guy playing solo), story is bad and uninteresting, dialog is garbage, humor falls flat, entire premise is a big bunch of who gives a poo poo that did not need explaining in the first place (how did han solo become himself and get his spaceship? who cares), REMEMBER DARTH MAUL??

i could keep going on but why bother, it's a big giant pile of poo poo in nearly every possible way and you needing that explained is a sign that you are bad at movies

I didn't like movie either you mouth-breathing moron, I was calling you out for meme-posting like an idiot and then instead of writing something good or interesting you posted this screed lol

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

By this metric the Prequels would be pretty good, and so would Marvel movies. But they're not. They're all poo poo.

Ron Howard is a complete loving stooge but Solo at least tried something with its characters.

i didnt mean to say that more money = good movie, should have worded it better

just meant that for a star wars movie to lose money is another pretty good sign that something went extremely wrong in general, when they can't even milk money out of star wars dorks

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

Also BTW at this point A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back are the least Star Warsian; being good movies makes them unlike the rest of the series

This is very, very accurate. Jedi has its moments tho, and all the dumbass creature features in Jabba's palace (theatrical version) were entertaining.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

QuarkJets posted:

I didn't like movie either you mouth-breathing moron, I was calling you out for meme-posting like an idiot and then instead of writing something good or interesting you posted this screed lol

why are you repeatedly personally insulting me for disagreeing about star wars with you. are you ok?

also it's an emote on a forum where we use emotes as a pithy way to make a point

i think you might be more comfortable on reddit my dude

edit: actually i take that back about reddit, check out CD i think you'd be good there

Damo fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 5, 2019

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

A New Hope was the worst Star Wars movie because Luke’s speeder was too close to the ground. Remastered Return or the Jedi is the best bevcsuse we finally got the correct number of teeth on the singing monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

It will be interesting to see how rise of Skywalker does. At least part of why solo did so poorly probably was due to people being fed up after last jedi, and then not really giving a poo poo about the premise.