Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

ecce ordo fabarum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

twoday posted:

also lmao that this joke post is now an actual thing that happened

cspam has always been a nexus of powerful chaos magick

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Posting this here as a visual reference. The art supply store near me has a large section of etching supplies and many colors of etching ink and rollers and such. I think I will try to engrave some copper or zinc plates now that I have access to a press, and have learned the basics of printmaking via the linocuts.

An update on the assemblage of the printing press: The press is not at my place yet but the lettertype is en route. I told a friend about the project and it turns out she has an old printer's tray that she bought five years ago at a yardsard, and she was planning to use it in some craft project but never got around to it and decided to give it to me instead.

Should be useful for keeping the letters separate, I'm not sure what I would have done otherwise

twoday
May 4, 2005

if you have other cool engravings to share as inspiration, please do

twoday
May 4, 2005

galenanorth posted:

America's foreign policy is like a two-headed beast, with one head sleeping during the day and the other during the night. The diurnal head apologizes to the world continuously for its dumbass other head. The nocturnal head apologizes to fascists for having minorities it hasn't yet put to death and continually schemes for a way to decapitate its other head without bleeding to death

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Pretty sure that two-headed bull is Demogorgan from DnD

twoday
May 4, 2005

I have the trays (they are two)

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
the grimoire girls

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
if u need some cspam word art here are selected highlights from my first encounter with mdma last week:

crazy cloud posted:

the story about brezhnev or whoever the fuCUK coming to a grocery store and being bewildered by the 1000 different kinds of loving toothpaste but it's the app store and it's 1000 places to look at vines of puppies farting into the mouths of like the host of blues clues or some poo poo

crazy cloud posted:

twoday HORSEGAZEBO this post up later for the book of cspam - it's [book of equanimity koan 1 but manjusri's comment is just a deafening TRUMO;LLP;]

crazy cloud posted:

donald j trump is the 45th president of the united states, and christ consciousness pervades all things without exception since beginingless time

crazy cloud posted:

i feel so good right now and in the trump thread i am home. idiocracy is a documentary and the piss tape is real and the neo nazi reactionary movement now is the crest of the wave that began in resistence to the 60s and 70s racial justice and womens liberation movement. i am slamming my head into a car door of love and blasting vibrant emerald green heart chakra capital under management excrement in every direction throughout space and time, which does not exist. it is wednesday. good morning.

crazy cloud posted:

my posting is now "back to normal" and u can rest assured that i am a responsible adult orb of sentient argon gas, "posting responsibly"

crazy cloud posted:

brogurt activia diarrhea boot blast

crazy cloud posted:

ok i reread this and maybe am still high

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i want to go to there - liz lemon

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

twoday posted:

and FYI I threw the sailor block into the ocean, so stop messaging me asking for sailor prints, there will be no more unless the sea vomits it back upon the shore

On one hand thats kinda cool but on the other drat it.

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

twoday posted:

I have the trays (they are two)

:train:

twoday
May 4, 2005

crazy cloud posted:

if u need some cspam word art here are selected highlights from my first encounter with mdma last week:

:hmmyes:

I'm quite busy this week and haven't had time to post, let alone make any art, but this is good material

I went to the alchemical library and read a bunch of ancient tomes to get some inspiration for how to format and draw stuff. It was a jarring experience but I have lots of ideas now and will take a crack at it once I have some free time

twoday
May 4, 2005

CODChimera posted:

There are some prints left, but they are very far away atm, I will post here about them once I recover them

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

CODChimera posted:

modern art only has value because of artificial scarcity

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

twoday posted:

I went to the alchemical library and read a bunch of ancient tomes to get some inspiration for how to format and draw stuff. It was a jarring experience but I have lots of ideas now and will take a crack at it once I have some free time

Where is this? I understand if you have to tell me in an elaborate story including oblique references to constellations and greek myth.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Peanut President posted:

Where is this? I understand if you have to tell me in an elaborate story including oblique references to constellations and greek myth.

Mercurius sent me abroad to the ancient City of Sin, which is said to have been modeled upon the concentric rings of the Inferno itself. There upon the river of Ceaser I was led to the House of the Heads, where in the secluded library of philosophy I learned of many secrets, written in the language of Gibberish.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

twoday posted:

Mercurius sent me abroad to the ancient City of Sin, which is said to have been modeled upon the concentric rings of the Inferno itself. There upon the river of Ceaser I was led to the House of the Heads, where in the secluded library of philosophy I learned of many secrets, written in the language of Gibberish.

:hmmyes:

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

twoday posted:

heheh head

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

finally got around to mounting my spectral sailor

it took a bit of figuring to find the right place, since below the trumps was too low to look at, and above was improper, but eventually i settled on the door

when the door is closed, i can enjoy his shimmering rainbow colors and ponder his strange diplopic message

when the door is open, he faces the disintegration trumps and tells them the bad news: he cannot save them, for there is only one permanent thing, and all else must fade and pass away

twoday
May 4, 2005

incredible

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Duscat posted:

finally got around to mounting my spectral sailor

it took a bit of figuring to find the right place, since below the trumps was too low to look at, and above was improper, but eventually i settled on the door

when the door is closed, i can enjoy his shimmering rainbow colors and ponder his strange diplopic message

when the door is open, he faces the disintegration trumps and tells them the bad news: he cannot save them, for there is only one permanent thing, and all else must fade and pass away

:perfect:

twoday
May 4, 2005

these people stole my bit and seem to be doing it unironically

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

:hai: hail hecate

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/t3dy/status/1123979397801943040?s=19

twoday
May 4, 2005

twoday
May 4, 2005

Still waiting for the typeface

This press is, if I had to guess, at least 200 years old. But knowing where it came from I wouldn't be surprised if it was 300 years old. It is about 5 times heavier than it looks, it was pretty difficult to drag it back here. I took a picture of it on the floor because I am not sure my lovely ikea desk can actually support it. I'm going to enjoy literally cranking out c-spam propaganda on such an ancient and beautiful piece of machinery.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

holy poo poo

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

2020 cspam is gonna be a bunch of death cultists worth piss tape hats and hide bound grimoires of hand drawn esoteric memes, I can't wait

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Agean90 posted:

2020 cspam is gonna be a bunch of death cultists worth piss tape hats and hide bound grimoires of hand drawn esoteric memes, I can't wait

Speaking of witch which

https://medium.com/@michaelmhughes/how-to-curse-stephen-miller-fe24b98f04ba

The Bind Trump people are busy tonight.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Here are some interesting details about the history of printing. Please note that I do not say this out of nationalistic fervor, which I do not have, but because I want to explain what this object is and how it ended up in my possession.

The printing press was invented in 1439 by Johannes Gutenburg, in Germany, and it was quickly used to print a version of the bible not in Latin, but in German, which was pretty revolutionary at the time. In 1519, Martin Luther started the protestant reformation, and the protestants made great use of the printing press to create pamphlets that were circulated throughout Europe. This led to the Protestant Reformation and several wars, which, according to Voltaire, were responsible for the deaths of more than 9 million people (keep in mind that the population of Europe was much smaller back then).

In most countries, the printing press was rightly feared as a powerfully destructive weapon capable of quickly spreading radical and dangerous ideas and turning society on its head, so strict controls were placed on its use. That is, in most countries strict controls were placed on its use, and in most European countries, strict systems of censorship were enacted. Owning a printing press was forbidden in most parts of Europe in the 17th century, and the ones that did exist were massive and complex affairs that involved teams of people to operate, and what they were printing was closely monitored by religious and/or political authorities.

One exception to this rule was the Dutch Republic. The Dutch, being protestant, were great fans of the printing press, because the Protestant Reformation shaped their culture and ultimately played a great role in them gaining their independence from Catholic Spain. Quite unique for the time, rather than establishing their own monarchy, they set up a republican system of government. In practice it was pretty much a capitalist oligarchy, and one could argue that form of government emerged to be the predominant model of governance in the west in the post-medieval era, and still is today. Being protestant and republican, the system of government in the Dutch Republic was remarkably different from most of Europe, which manifested itself in many ways. One of these was a relative freedom of the press. Having no monarch to insult reduced a lot of the pressure for censorship. Many European writers and philosophers, including the above-mentioned Voltaire, fled to the Netherlands in the 17th century because it was one of the only places in western society were they were allowed to publish their ideas without being persecuted by authorities.

Freedom of the press enabled a massive exchange of ideas in the 17th century Dutch Republic, and quickly enabled massive developments in various fields of science, philosophy, theology, etc. These developments, coupled with a powerhouse economy fueled by advanced knowledge of seafaring and systematic colonial exploitation, led to the Dutch Republic becoming a global superpower. Printing played an essential role in the developments of all these fields, and the number of Dutch printers at this time was tremendous in comparison to other countries. Because the printing industry was uncensored and unregulated, uniquely smaller types of printing presses were developed. Whereas in other countries being a printer meant being involved in a complex hierarchy of authorities and censors, in the Dutch Republic printing was often something that people would do as a side gig in their free time, making small runs of pamphlets that were distributed within specific communities. Of course there were large-scale printing presses that involved entire teams of people, that mass-produced books and newspapers. But there also emerged a cottage industry based around tiny printing presses which could be operated by a single person, and this was the result of decades of social change which allowed this to be possible.

In 1672 the Dutch Republic was simultaneously invaded by England, France, and some parts of Germany. At the same time there was a civil war in the country between monarchists and republicans. As a result the leader of the Republic was hanged, skinned, and cannibalized by a rioting monarchist mob. The Golden Age was over, the economy was destroyed, and the country wouldn't recover for centuries. Although cities like Amsterdam remained cultural centers for some time, it was never again on the scale of the earlier years of the Golden Age.

I don't know how old this printing press is, but I got it from a Dutch family in a large city who inherited it and had it lying around for so many decades (or even centuries) that nobody knows any longer where it came from, how old it is, or how to use it. It was just decorating a bookshelf somewhere. Even though the base is made of extremely dense hard wood (probably sourced from Indonesia or Suriname), and has been eaten through by worms over the centuries, it is still a functioning printing press. I have no idea how old it is. After evaluating it, I could easy believe it is from the 17th century, when this industry of small-scale printing was blooming. After the destruction of the economy in 1672, there weren't many people who would have had the economic freedom to print things in their spare time, and printing was largely taken over by professional large-scale printers. If it is from the golden age, it would be about 350 years old, at least.

In any case, it is now in my possession, and I intend to use it to print parts of the book of c-spam, to make pamphlets, and held spread the radical and new ideas and modes of thought which have come out of this humble sub-forum. This machine was built specifically for the purpose of some solitary weirdo to operate it and thereby spread weird new ideas, and thus (hopefully) better society.

On the title page, underneath "Plinkey, Hot Karl Marx, HugeGrossBurrito & Co., printers” I will print the words "Printed in Amsterdam." That's where I am, this is what I am doing, and now you know what ancient tradition this work will be a part of. And I also hope that after reading this you have a greater appreciation of the meaning of the words "Freedom of the Press."

( they don't teach you in school, but a lot of the republican ideas of the founding fathers were based on the Dutch Republic, which still existed at that time and played a major role in funding the American Revolution, and even the Declaration of Independence was not only printed on Dutch paper but also modeled after the Dutch declaration of independence from Spain *sniff* and so on)

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
:krad:

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

twoday posted:

Here are some interesting details about the history of printing. Please note that I do not say this out of nationalistic fervor, which I do not have, but because I want to explain what this object is and how it ended up in my possession.

The printing press was invented in 1439 by Johannes Gutenburg, in Germany, and it was quickly used to print a version of the bible not in Latin, but in German, which was pretty revolutionary at the time. In 1519, Martin Luther started the protestant reformation, and the protestants made great use of the printing press to create pamphlets that were circulated throughout Europe. This led to the Protestant Reformation and several wars, which, according to Voltaire, were responsible for the deaths of more than 9 million people (keep in mind that the population of Europe was much smaller back then).

In most countries, the printing press was rightly feared as a powerfully destructive weapon capable of quickly spreading radical and dangerous ideas and turning society on its head, so strict controls were placed on its use. That is, in most countries strict controls were placed on its use, and in most European countries, strict systems of censorship were enacted. Owning a printing press was forbidden in most parts of Europe in the 17th century, and the ones that did exist were massive and complex affairs that involved teams of people to operate, and what they were printing was closely monitored by religious and/or political authorities.

One exception to this rule was the Dutch Republic. The Dutch, being protestant, were great fans of the printing press, because the Protestant Reformation shaped their culture and ultimately played a great role in them gaining their independence from Catholic Spain. Quite unique for the time, rather than establishing their own monarchy, they set up a republican system of government. In practice it was pretty much a capitalist oligarchy, and one could argue that form of government emerged to be the predominant model of governance in the west in the post-medieval era, and still is today. Being protestant and republican, the system of government in the Dutch Republic was remarkably different from most of Europe, which manifested itself in many ways. One of these was a relative freedom of the press. Having no monarch to insult reduced a lot of the pressure for censorship. Many European writers and philosophers, including the above-mentioned Voltaire, fled to the Netherlands in the 17th century because it was one of the only places in western society were they were allowed to publish their ideas without being persecuted by authorities.

Freedom of the press enabled a massive exchange of ideas in the 17th century Dutch Republic, and quickly enabled massive developments in various fields of science, philosophy, theology, etc. These developments, coupled with a powerhouse economy fueled by advanced knowledge of seafaring and systematic colonial exploitation, led to the Dutch Republic becoming a global superpower. Printing played an essential role in the developments of all these fields, and the number of Dutch printers at this time was tremendous in comparison to other countries. Because the printing industry was uncensored and unregulated, uniquely smaller types of printing presses were developed. Whereas in other countries being a printer meant being involved in a complex hierarchy of authorities and censors, in the Dutch Republic printing was often something that people would do as a side gig in their free time, making small runs of pamphlets that were distributed within specific communities. Of course there were large-scale printing presses that involved entire teams of people, that mass-produced books and newspapers. But there also emerged a cottage industry based around tiny printing presses which could be operated by a single person, and this was the result of decades of social change which allowed this to be possible.

In 1672 the Dutch Republic was simultaneously invaded by England, France, and some parts of Germany. At the same time there was a civil war in the country between monarchists and republicans. As a result the leader of the Republic was hanged, skinned, and cannibalized by a rioting monarchist mob. The Golden Age was over, the economy was destroyed, and the country wouldn't recover for centuries. Although cities like Amsterdam remained cultural centers for some time, it was never again on the scale of the earlier years of the Golden Age.

I don't know how old this printing press is, but I got it from a Dutch family in a large city who inherited it and had it lying around for so many decades (or even centuries) that nobody knows any longer where it came from, how old it is, or how to use it. It was just decorating a bookshelf somewhere. Even though the base is made of extremely dense hard wood (probably sourced from Indonesia or Suriname), and has been eaten through by worms over the centuries, it is still a functioning printing press. I have no idea how old it is. After evaluating it, I could easy believe it is from the 17th century, when this industry of small-scale printing was blooming. After the destruction of the economy in 1672, there weren't many people who would have had the economic freedom to print things in their spare time, and printing was largely taken over by professional large-scale printers. If it is from the golden age, it would be about 350 years old, at least.

In any case, it is now in my possession, and I intend to use it to print parts of the book of c-spam, to make pamphlets, and held spread the radical and new ideas and modes of thought which have come out of this humble sub-forum. This machine was built specifically for the purpose of some solitary weirdo to operate it and thereby spread weird new ideas, and thus (hopefully) better society.

On the title page, underneath "Plinkey, Hot Karl Marx, HugeGrossBurrito & Co., printers” I will print the words "Printed in Amsterdam." That's where I am, this is what I am doing, and now you know what ancient tradition this work will be a part of. And I also hope that after reading this you have a greater appreciation of the meaning of the words "Freedom of the Press."

( they don't teach you in school, but a lot of the republican ideas of the founding fathers were based on the Dutch Republic, which still existed at that time and played a major role in funding the American Revolution, and even the Declaration of Independence was not only printed on Dutch paper but also modeled after the Dutch declaration of independence from Spain *sniff* and so on)

owns

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

twoday posted:

My favorite printing press historical figure is Francysk Skaryna. He was from the Grand Duchy of Lithuania in what is now modern-day Belarus. He saw the printing press in Prague while studying medicine. He forgot about medical school, bought a printing press, and started printing books. His first book was a psalter published in Old Belarusian in 1517. In 1520 he moved his printing operation to Vilnius where he set up shop and printed books there. About 8 or 9 years later he moved to Moscow and tried to print books there, but the Russians declared him printing the Bible in Russian a heresy and he had to flee before he was murdered.

There's a statue of Skaryna outside the brutalist national library in Minsk.

And here's a portrait of him.

twoday
May 4, 2005

This guy rules and I want to be like him

twoday
May 4, 2005

What the hell is going on with the cryptic pseudo-alphabet at the bottom of that image?

twoday
May 4, 2005

This machine kills monarchists

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The memes of production?

the means of probation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer