Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The story appears to take place in America so no, you dont need to wait for him to say something to her face to fire him. In fact you can just go in and say, hey Rob, pack your stuff up because I had a vivid dream last night where you stole my burrito and I wont tolerate employees who steal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Just send him to sensitivity training. He'll show you his true colors. You don't even have to go through with it all the way, just say you're sending him to sensitivity training and watch as he melts down before your very eyes.

Barudak posted:

The story appears to take place in America so no, you dont need to wait for him to say something to her face to fire him. In fact you can just go in and say, hey Rob, pack your stuff up because I had a vivid dream last night where you stole my burrito and I wont tolerate employees who steal.

The wrongful termination hearing would probably run something like

Rob: i'm a hard worker, i've got a clean disciplinary record, this was absolutely baseless and they've got no right to deny me unemployment.
Judge: This was based all on a dream, you said?
Boss: Yes, a dream wherein he stole my burrito.
Judge: what kind of burrito
Boss: carne asada. with both queso AND guac.
Judge: Rob you're going to prison forever.
Rob: but
Judge: (putting down phone) already sold you to 3 of trump's baby jails.
(Rob turns to look at the camera as an embarrassing brass interlude plays)

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 6, 2019

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I feel like the story is being massaged a bit. Like the dude makes her out to be stalking him to find his homophobic views. Add that with playing up how good a worker he is it sounds suspect

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Barudak posted:

only in 39/50 states, the other 11 you have to just say they are bad at their job with literally no proof.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Just send him to sensitivity training. He'll show you his true colors. You don't even have to go through with it all the way, just say you're sending him to sensitivity training and watch as he melts down before your very eyes.

And if he doesn’t melt down and he goes to the training and completes it just fine then what?

Also we only have one persons account of what he said online. The manager didn’t go and verify or even see how long ago he posted it maybe his views have changed? Would it be fair to fire him then?

Yeah the manager doesn’t want to deal with it because the guys an earner but again just being against gay marriage (which is a poo poo view) in your personal life and someone having to do some internet digging to find it shouldn’t be grounds for firing if none of that has made its way into the work place.

Imagine if someone dug through your SA posting history and you got fired for a comment you made years ago.

Last thing social media is dumb and only serves to gently caress you over at a later date.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I feel like the story is being massaged a bit. Like the dude makes her out to be stalking him to find his homophobic views. Add that with playing up how good a worker he is it sounds suspect

Yeah this could be the case too.

Why was she doing some digging on him in the first place? Did they not like each other? The manager would have had to have seen some proof of what he said online I’d imagine too.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

If the dude was a white supremacist on his off time, everyone would cheer for his firing. Dump the homophobic piece of poo poo.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
There is nothing worse than internet nerds who assume that the views you have aren’t really yours or you have grown out of them until proven otherwise

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yeah unless the bossman is lying, there's a lovely worker there and it isnt the guy with bad political views that haven't been expressed at work or at them by the offended parties admission.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

CharlestheHammer posted:

There is nothing worse than internet nerds who assume that the views you have aren’t really yours or you have grown out of them until proven otherwise

Nah. Ones who read way too much into things and invent details to support their wild conjectures where they are missing are much worse.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Resting Lich Face posted:

Nah. Ones who read way too much into things and invent details where they are missing are much worse.

Nah you have to to invent details for most of these stories or you can’t say anything, then this thread would just be copy pasting stories.

Which I guess some people want

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

CharlestheHammer posted:

honestly it DOES kinda sound like this was written by someone wearing a shirt with just THE PATRIARCHY on it. if you had to illustrate how to justify allowing a hostile workplace this is a fairly apt description of the thought processes at play.

Also, it's why ultimately capitalism is the source of all prejudice, as it allows for in-group privilege to directly accrue capital. those with power allow the soft hostility of the lower classes to drive off undesireables till the only people working that job are dickless lunkheads who think their NOT ADAM AND STEVE bumper stickers represent The Cutting Edge of Discourse.

MarcusSA posted:

And if he doesn’t melt down and he goes to the training and completes it just fine then what?

then the other six seals will open and the Beast will rise, as the seas turn to blood. please direct your other baseless hypothetical questions to The Pope, who is a better expert on the end of the world than i.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

then the other six seals will open and the Beast will rise, as the seas turn to blood. please direct your other baseless hypothetical questions to The Pope, who is a better expert on the end of the world than i.

I mean you were doing the same thing buy assuming the dude would melt down over it.

Anyway dude has poo poo views and there is a 100% unreliable narrator going on since the boss just wants to make the phat cash and doesn’t care to really dig into it.

This kinda sounds like a sales job as well so yeah.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

honestly it DOES kinda sound like this was written by someone wearing a shirt with just THE PATRIARCHY on it. if you had to illustrate how to justify allowing a hostile workplace this is a fairly apt description of the thought processes at play.

Also, it's why ultimately capitalism is the source of all prejudice, as it allows for in-group privilege to directly accrue capital. those with power allow the soft hostility of the lower classes to drive off undesireables till the only people working that job are dickless lunkheads who think their NOT ADAM AND STEVE bumper stickers represent The Cutting Edge of Discourse.

The store owner is also gay and the girl in question answered "no" to him asking her if she brought this poo poo to work.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dazerbeams posted:

If the dude was a white supremacist on his off time, everyone would cheer for his firing. Dump the homophobic piece of poo poo.

What if he was just doing it ironically??? Let he who is without sin make the first shitpost

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

ad090 posted:

Am I an rear end in a top hat for breaking up with my white boyfriend because he wanted to use the word "n-word"?

girl pete

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

FoolyCharged posted:

The store owner is also gay and the girl in question answered "no" to him asking her if she brought this poo poo to work.

Well bi, but apparently that's not gay enough for their opinion of the guy to matter to the extremists who want the guy drawn and quartered.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

FoolyCharged posted:

The store owner is also bi and the girl in question answered "no" to him asking her if she brought this poo poo to work.

And honestly, we don't know if the boss is a man or woman, or if they are open about their bisexuality at work (they might be open about it)

A potentially closeted bi guy might not have the same experience as an out lesbian

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

So if you're not out and proud your opinion is irrelevant?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I’m not sure why his opinion gets to outway hers but I think your more interested in being mad so pop off

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

CharlestheHammer posted:

I'm not sure why his opinion gets to outway hers but I think your more interested in being mad so pop off

They're both LGBT so that factor is irrelevant. The boss's opinion matters more because they're the boss.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

So if you're not out and proud your opinion is irrelevant?

Who said their opinion was irrelevant?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

They're both LGBT so that factor is irrelevant. The boss's opinion matters more because they're the boss.

That....is not how that works. Him being gay or straight doesn’t factor into this at all.

Gay people aren’t a hive mind. They can be made uncomfortable by different things, especially a boss who in general is gonna be separated from the workforce on a day to day basis.

Like the boss isn’t saying he isn’t homophobic, just that it doesn’t bother hm personally

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

CharlestheHammer posted:

That....is not how that works. Him being gay or straight doesn’t factor into this at all.

It totally factors in. What are you on about?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Gay people aren’t a hive mind.

Yeah no poo poo we're discussing a disagreement. Build a bigger straw man.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Literally how does it factor in.

Does him not being effected cancel out her feelings? That’s loving stupid

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

FoolyCharged posted:

Here's how that works:
- Dipshit says something
- She reports it to management
- "Do you have any proof?" (she does not)
- She gets a reputation as a poo poo stirrer out to ruin reputations with baseless accusations

there's probably plenty he's said and done but without proof it's just her opinion over his, and the boss already has shown preference to his opinions, sooooooo. not really much of a logical leap there.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

What if he was just doing it ironically??? Let he who is without sin make the first shitpost

It’s just a prank, dude!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for being upset with my husband for getting his car cleaned by pubescent girls?

Yesterday there was a car wash drive in our city to fund for a family who lost their home in a gas explosion. My husband went to it. My issue is it was organized by a family friend of the affected family and I guess they had their three teenage daughters washing cars in bikinis and what-not. I don't know their ages but I know it's a set of twins and a third, maybe 15-17 years old each. Am I the rear end in a top hat for being royally upset with my husband for going?

He's said in the past he hates washing his car and full service car washes aren't so common. He works offroad a lot and his truck is always filthy. He says the automatic washes seldom work. That's fine, I get it, but why get teenage girls in bikinis to wash your car? I don't get the appeal whatsoever, it's downright disturbing/disgusting to me.

FWIW my husband and I are both mid-30s. We have a 4 year old daughter.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for calling my dad shameful for him fighting a waiter over a life buoy?

Guillotine your boomer parents for making a scene over what is surely 5 cents worth of plastic crap.

I'm guessing even though he keeps saying buoy, it was probably a little souvenir-sized toy life preserver thing. But dang, I want to see a photo of what his dad was fighting for.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for taking my child out of piano lessons because the teacher’s husband is an InfoWars supporter?

Piano lessons are at the teacher’s in home studio. She’s wonderful and does a great job teaching piano. My wife comes home after our child’s most recent lesson and off hand mentions that the piano teacher’s husband has an InfoWars bumper sticker. The first words out of my mouth were, “We need to take (child) out of those lessons immediately.” Wife looks at me funny so I tell her to go check out the site. She knew it was right wing but I don’t think she understood how fringe that site and followers really are. We had a long discussion and she respects my opinions, although she wouldn’t have seen an issue with it.

My argument is that he believes in fringe conspiracy and he’s got guns in the house. Our child is in danger in that house. I can’t risk him going nutty if InfoWars makes some call to action and his beliefs turn into violence. We’ve pulled our child out of these lessons and have told the teacher why. Obviously the teacher is upset saying we all have a right to our opinions and political beliefs. I’m a free speech/thought believer but people are accountable for how others view them in light of those beliefs. If he had a MAGA bumper sticker, NBD. InfoWars promotes some really dangerous ideas and I look at their supporters as dangerous especially with my family being in their home.

AITA for pulling my child out and thinking they are dangerous?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

LadyPictureShow posted:

Guillotine your boomer parents for making a scene over what is surely 5 cents worth of plastic crap.

I'm guessing even though he keeps saying buoy, it was probably a little souvenir-sized toy life preserver thing. But dang, I want to see a photo of what his dad was fighting for.

you're correct, the OP said it was some kind of fake life preserver but at the time she thought that was called a buoy

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for taking my child out of piano lessons because the teacher’s husband is an InfoWars supporter?

Piano lessons are at the teacher’s in home studio. She’s wonderful and does a great job teaching piano. My wife comes home after our child’s most recent lesson and off hand mentions that the piano teacher’s husband has an InfoWars bumper sticker. The first words out of my mouth were, “We need to take (child) out of those lessons immediately.” Wife looks at me funny so I tell her to go check out the site. She knew it was right wing but I don’t think she understood how fringe that site and followers really are. We had a long discussion and she respects my opinions, although she wouldn’t have seen an issue with it.

My argument is that he believes in fringe conspiracy and he’s got guns in the house. Our child is in danger in that house. I can’t risk him going nutty if InfoWars makes some call to action and his beliefs turn into violence. We’ve pulled our child out of these lessons and have told the teacher why. Obviously the teacher is upset saying we all have a right to our opinions and political beliefs. I’m a free speech/thought believer but people are accountable for how others view them in light of those beliefs. If he had a MAGA bumper sticker, NBD. InfoWars promotes some really dangerous ideas and I look at their supporters as dangerous especially with my family being in their home.

AITA for pulling my child out and thinking they are dangerous?

Oh, so close. Maga bumper sticker is just as bad. Guillotines for all.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for being upset with my husband for getting his car cleaned by pubescent girls?

Yesterday there was a car wash drive in our city to fund for a family who lost their home in a gas explosion. My husband went to it. My issue is it was organized by a family friend of the affected family and I guess they had their three teenage daughters washing cars in bikinis and what-not. I don't know their ages but I know it's a set of twins and a third, maybe 15-17 years old each. Am I the rear end in a top hat for being royally upset with my husband for going?

He's said in the past he hates washing his car and full service car washes aren't so common. He works offroad a lot and his truck is always filthy. He says the automatic washes seldom work. That's fine, I get it, but why get teenage girls in bikinis to wash your car? I don't get the appeal whatsoever, it's downright disturbing/disgusting to me.

FWIW my husband and I are both mid-30s. We have a 4 year old daughter.

This one's iffy. There's a mens rea component here. If he's just getting his car cleaned because 1) it's dirty, and 2) he wants to help the family that lost their home, it's not his fault the organizers put 15 year old girls in bikinis. However, if the girls in bikinis are what drew him to the event, he is bad and gross and you should be upset with him. It also depends on the advertising - did the event say "young girls in bikinis" or just "charity car wash"?

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
AITA for not helping my boyfriend in an debate with my parents?

quote:

We were having dinner tonight and somehow politics came up, and my boyfriend said that Trump isnt all bad (he didnt vote for Trump but agrees with a few of his policies) and my stepdad and him started to debate. Within a couple minutes Hitler came up and my boyfriend also said Hitler wasnt a completely bad person (I love him but god is he dumb, not sure what my boyfriend expected to get from saying that), and my stepdad got heated and they got into it even more. After around 5 minutes of them going back and forth me and my brother decided to go downstairs to leave them to argue amongst themselves. Am I the rear end in a top hat for leaving him to argue and not defending him in an argument that I personally have no part in?

UPDATE: Turns out my stepdads father was in a starvation camp, this isnt going well.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

ad090 posted:

You're the rear end in a top hat for dating this idiot in the first place.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Here's how that works:
- Dipshit says something
- She reports it to management
- "Do you have any proof?" (she does not)
- She gets a reputation as a poo poo stirrer out to ruin reputations with baseless accusations

there's probably plenty he's said and done but without proof it's just her opinion over his, and the boss already has shown preference to his opinions, sooooooo. not really much of a logical leap there.

If we take the dude at his word:

quote:

I ask her if he has said anything to her face or discriminated against her because that's the only basis on which I could fire him on and she says no

None of that happened, he explicitly asked "did he do it" and she said no.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

ad090 posted:

OP posted:

The argument is currently still going on upstairs, im sitting in my brothers room drinking wine

A wise choice

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

This one's iffy. There's a mens rea component here. If he's just getting his car cleaned because 1) it's dirty, and 2) he wants to help the family that lost their home, it's not his fault the organizers put 15 year old girls in bikinis. However, if the girls in bikinis are what drew him to the event, he is bad and gross and you should be upset with him. It also depends on the advertising - did the event say "young girls in bikinis" or just "charity car wash"?

Yeah thats my line of thinking.

I mean high schools do them all the time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ad090 posted:

Why are you not helping your parents?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
I can't imagine someone advertising their car wash fundraiser for a family that lost their home as being staffed by bikini teens.