Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Star Man posted:

gently caress the Switch and I'm mad at myself for wanting to drop $300 on a console for two Zelda games and Pokémon because like hell Nintendo will ever drop the price of the mother fucker. And the stupid thing will never leave the house so portability is utterly meaningless to me.

And I'm not rebuying a bunch of games I already own.

Sales do happen, I got mine on Thanksgiving for $180 (though that's a bit of an outlier)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
there's also new versions being rumored (definitely a cheaper potentially portable only version and possibly a pro version with higher specs) so getting one of the current versions on the cheap certainly isn't out of the question

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Hi, I just started this game and I'm trying to avoid spoiling myself on builds and high-level play in general. Just stumbling into whatever equipment comes up - currently having fun with wave of light on my monk with an Incense Torch of the Grand Temple. Anyway a few questions:

Is there a standard way to determine real DPS in the game? I'm generally bad at things like keeping rotations going, so my real-world DPS is going to be way underneath what an experienced player would do with a given build. But I'd like some way of comparing how effective things are.. Is there a plugin I can use to measure how much damage I'm doing, or should I just turn up the greater rift level until it takes too long to kill things?

I'm going to start up a seasonal character - what's a good class to choose for higher speed movement? The monk's ability and teleporting attacks are ok, but it would be nice to go faster.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
To the first question, not really, no. There's no, like, target dummy or anything of that nature. Basically the only way to go is to keep upping the difficulty (or GR level) until you're either dying too much or killing too slowly to be satisfying.

For the second, I think every class has some sort of gottagofast build, but just in general while leveling the monk is probably the quickest.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Wow, there's a lot of difficulty levels to choose from. For a while I thought that you had to start a new character to raise the difficulty past Hard (cause the tooltip says to start a new game) but I missed all of the extra Torment difficulties too.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Star Man posted:

gently caress the Switch and I'm mad at myself for wanting to drop $300 on a console for two Zelda games and Pokémon because like hell Nintendo will ever drop the price of the mother fucker. And the stupid thing will never leave the house so portability is utterly meaningless to me.

On the plus side, if you decide not to buy a Switch, the awesome Octopath Traveller is coming to PC on June 7.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Baby Proof posted:

Wow, there's a lot of difficulty levels to choose from. For a while I thought that you had to start a new character to raise the difficulty past Hard (cause the tooltip says to start a new game) but I missed all of the extra Torment difficulties too.

They're adding more Torment levels next season.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Is the Necromancer class fun? Is it something only really worth bothering with if you've tried all the other classes and are itchy for something new? Has the Necromancer DLC ever gone on sale?

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

Too fair to worship, too divine to love...

Star Man posted:

:ok:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Is the Necromancer class fun? Is it something only really worth bothering with if you've tried all the other classes and are itchy for something new? Has the Necromancer DLC ever gone on sale?

It does go on sale but only one or two times a year, and there was one a month ago. Iirc it's $5 off.

(I also haven't played it, and the thread dissuaded me from buying it last time I asked a similar question).

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
just a curiosity, but has anyone tried plevling in the cow level instead of a rift? I'm wondering if there's any efficiency to it since regular T6 rifts take 2 to 4 (depending on tileset and density luck)

tetsuo fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 6, 2019

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
The necro is pretty cool and stylish, but its most powerful endgame specs are a huge drag to either play or gear.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Star Man posted:

Dude. There are so many good games on the Switch. Hence you mentioning Switch in a Diablo thread. Also, portability is great. I bring this to work for my lunch break, take on the porch, go to a hammock in a park, play it while my partner uses the tv to watch or play some poo poo i dont care about. Oh, playing switch on the toilet. Dont forget about that option

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

tetsuo posted:

just a curiosity, but has anyone tried plevling in the cow level instead of a rift? I'm wondering if there's any efficiency to it since regular T6 rifts take 2 to 4 (depending on tileset and density luck)

I got a bardiche to burn, wanna give it a test?

mariuslecter#1125

e;
Condensed all my gem collection down.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 6, 2019

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The Sean posted:

Dude. There are so many good games on the Switch. Hence you mentioning Switch in a Diablo thread. Also, portability is great. I bring this to work for my lunch break, take on the porch, go to a hammock in a park, play it while my partner uses the tv to watch or play some poo poo i dont care about. Oh, playing switch on the toilet. Dont forget about that option

This times infinity. There's a lot of great indie games that are cheap. I didn't buy D3 until it was on sale for it, but there's a lot of other good stuff in the lineup. Great for traveling or if you want to just jump into something for 10 minutes. The UI is really fast so you can be back in a game within 5 seconds of turning it on, it's great.

But I do hate the nintendo tax on everything.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

MariusLecter posted:

mariuslecter#1125

e;

Shame on you, order those gems by ROYGBIV

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Even though it's probably pointless, I'd like to get my 70 (90) wizard to clear GR 20. I'm most of the way there, I've finished GR 18, but I don't seem to have enough DPS to cut through enemies right now.

My Paragon points have been going into Increasd Arcane Pool, Cooldown Reduction, Life, and Resource Cost Reduction.
My current skills are Teleport, Magic Weapon (+20%), Storm Armor, Archon, Disintegrate (primary), Frozen Orb (secondary).

At the moment, my strategy is to use the Oculus Ring bubbles to boost my damage for disintegrate/Arcane X orb on normal enemies, and hit boss packs with Archon. Thanks to the bonus from my 4 Vyr items, I have all the powers of the archon available. My strategy for using the archon on a boss is to hug them and spam the explosion button while holding the disintegrate beam on them, and that's very effective. Unfortunately, that's just about my only effective thing, and the long cooldown means I can't just use it all the time.

With the Flawless Imperial Topaz socketed in Vyr's helm and using the Crown of Leoric as my armor passive, my arcane power cost reduction is 42%, which is helpful for spamming, but it doesn't seem to be enough. Maybe I'm not spamming the right thing. Maybe I should try Arcane Mines again.

I have a level 7 Bane of the Trapped (17% more damage to enemies under impaired control, so I should probably focus on a build that inflicts those statuses for extra damage. My own Ice Climber boots make me immune to freeze and control impairments myself.

Surprisingly I still have not actually seen a "You Died" screen yet, thanks to fast reflexes letting me run away, but there have been a few close calls by this point.

I have a bunch of legendary items, some of which might have useful passive effects to steal, but I don't have a huge selection. However, I have taught a bunch of legendary and set recipes to the armorer, maybe they have some good stuff.

Any suggestions for a Wizard build to let me clear GR 20 solo?

In the meantime,. I guess I'll just do regular rifts on Torment 4 and try and find something that works. I should use my imagination, experiment, try different things. What if I try Arcane Torrent as my left-click attack, since I have the resource reduction to make that viable, for instance.

EDIT: Belt of the Sherma just dropped, and not only is it a straight upgrade to my rare belt, but it has the "Chaos Field" which slows and blinds enemies within it for several seconds. VERY HELPFUL, and it procs very often..

If I find a Legendary Sword as a wizard, it often has bonuses like +x Intelligence. Since those don't switch to STR for a STR-based character, are those basically just worth stealing a legendary power from? Or if they have none, salvaging?

I apparently need materials from salvaged legendaries to make more advanced recipes. Do those materials only come from legendaries with fixed unique bonuses?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 6, 2019

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

MariusLecter posted:

mariuslecter#1125

e;

YESSS. Alphabetical. The one true gem layout! But stack those cubes!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

The Sean posted:

My 3DS sat unused in my backpack for three years while I commuted on a light rail to school for thirty minutes each way. I just dick around on my phone instead. Portability of a video game console means absolutely, one-hundred percent, utterly nothing to me when I'm just going to read Twitter or some poo poo instead. I do not care. I do not loving care.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

If I find a Legendary Sword as a wizard, it often has bonuses like +x Intelligence. Since those don't switch to STR for a STR-based character, are those basically just worth stealing a legendary power from? Or if they have none, salvaging?
Just to be clear: you can just equip it if it's a DPS upgrade and you don't have a more useful legendary power on your weapon already; you don't have to use a staff or wand.

Oculus Ring is a good item to give to a follower, by the way. Followers' damage is kinda pathetic even with optimal equipment, but the templar gives you some added sustain, and the enchantress gives some extra CC. For some reason, Oculus works on them the way it would on you: it procs when you kill something, and gives you bonus damage if you stand in it. (Ess of Johan is another common follower item, and Unity if you have space to use it.)

I apparently need materials from salvaged legendaries to make more advanced recipes. Do those materials only come from legendaries with fixed unique bonuses?
Any orange or green item, regardless of whether it has a legendary power or not.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Even though it's probably pointless, I'd like to get my 70 (90) wizard to clear GR 20. I'm most of the way there, I've finished GR 18, but I don't seem to have enough DPS to cut through enemies right now.

My Paragon points have been going into Increasd Arcane Pool, Cooldown Reduction, Life, and Resource Cost Reduction.
My current skills are Teleport, Magic Weapon (+20%), Storm Armor, Archon, Disintegrate (primary), Frozen Orb (secondary).

At the moment, my strategy is to use the Oculus Ring bubbles to boost my damage for disintegrate/Arcane X orb on normal enemies, and hit boss packs with Archon. Thanks to the bonus from my 4 Vyr items, I have all the powers of the archon available. My strategy for using the archon on a boss is to hug them and spam the explosion button while holding the disintegrate beam on them, and that's very effective. Unfortunately, that's just about my only effective thing, and the long cooldown means I can't just use it all the time.

With the Flawless Imperial Topaz socketed in Vyr's helm and using the Crown of Leoric as my armor passive, my arcane power cost reduction is 42%, which is helpful for spamming, but it doesn't seem to be enough. Maybe I'm not spamming the right thing. Maybe I should try Arcane Mines again.

I have a level 7 Bane of the Trapped (17% more damage to enemies under impaired control, so I should probably focus on a build that inflicts those statuses for extra damage. My own Ice Climber boots make me immune to freeze and control impairments myself.

Surprisingly I still have not actually seen a "You Died" screen yet, thanks to fast reflexes letting me run away, but there have been a few close calls by this point.

I have a bunch of legendary items, some of which might have useful passive effects to steal, but I don't have a huge selection. However, I have taught a bunch of legendary and set recipes to the armorer, maybe they have some good stuff.

Any suggestions for a Wizard build to let me clear GR 20 solo?

In the meantime,. I guess I'll just do regular rifts on Torment 4 and try and find something that works. I should use my imagination, experiment, try different things. What if I try Arcane Torrent as my left-click attack, since I have the resource reduction to make that viable, for instance.

EDIT: Belt of the Sherma just dropped, and not only is it a straight upgrade to my rare belt, but it has the "Chaos Field" which slows and blinds enemies within it for several seconds. VERY HELPFUL, and it procs very often..

PC?

I mean, really, any 6pc set bonus should be good for almost GR70 (give or take), so I'd say look into that. It's an easy way to find a lot of bonus damage (maybe not toughness though)

As for not dying yet, I get that it's a badge of honor, but you're gonna die at proper-content levels. (This is normal only; Hardcore most likely has a different approach)

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS

my last elite was a wormholing teleporting illusionist.

here's my stash, there are stacks of gems scattered throughout the other pages too

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

You did get your caches for completing season journey stuff, right? I thought you said before you had chapters 1-3 done, so you should get a little mail icon (PC) in the lower left or a cache in your inventory near your gems (on console) that you can claim to inventory to get some set items. If you have a 2 or 4 piece set you'll probably be doing GR without issue.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
EDIT: I just barely failed my first attempt at a GR 20 rift, but then equipped a Devil's Tongue 1H sword for 5% extra damage and that was enough to win the next time.

I also keep finding Blackthorne's Jousting Mail. I found 3 and a 4th dropped from gambling. I scrapped two of them for parts.

Incoherence posted:

Just to be clear: you can just equip it if it's a DPS upgrade and you don't have a more useful legendary power on your weapon already; you don't have to use a staff or wand.

Oculus Ring is a good item to give to a follower, by the way. Followers' damage is kinda pathetic even with optimal equipment, but the templar gives you some added sustain, and the enchantress gives some extra CC. For some reason, Oculus works on them the way it would on you: it procs when you kill something, and gives you bonus damage if you stand in it. (Ess of Johan is another common follower item, and Unity if you have space to use it.)

Any orange or green item, regardless of whether it has a legendary power or not.

I can check again and see if I have any good weapons which would be an upgrade, but I'm not sure I do. Currently I'm using the Blackhand Key which doesn't have a bonus, but I don't think I've found anything better. I am overdue, probably.

The Oculus's power procs on kill and I don't think my follower is doing enough damage to be getting kills frequently. Also I don't have any better rings to equip anyway. Well, I do have both rings of the "all Ancient items equipped give you a bonus" set, but that's not useful since I don't have any Ancient items.

Ah, I tried experimentally by crafting a cheap legendary (only common-ish components) and salvaging it. All that did was return a fraction of the components I used, so I wanted to ask before I tried again.

Thanks for the advice, all. I'll just keep experimenting more and looking for more stuff.

I've been trying out 'normal' rifts to test my setups and I think my arcane torrent/frozen orb one is looking good at the moment.

Zarin posted:

PC?

I mean, really, any 6pc set bonus should be good for almost GR70 (give or take), so I'd say look into that. It's an easy way to find a lot of bonus damage (maybe not toughness though)

As for not dying yet, I get that it's a badge of honor, but you're gonna die at proper-content levels. (This is normal only; Hardcore most likely has a different approach)

Yeah, PC. I have 4 pieces of the Vyr's set and have been gambling to try and get the others (or at least an upgrade). I do like that the cap on blood shards you can store is an incentive to gamble. I know that I'm still at 'noob' levels and shouldn't be dying to anything yet.

Suburban Dad posted:

You did get your caches for completing season journey stuff, right? I thought you said before you had chapters 1-3 done, so you should get a little mail icon (PC) in the lower left or a cache in your inventory near your gems (on console) that you can claim to inventory to get some set items. If you have a 2 or 4 piece set you'll probably be doing GR without issue.

Yeah, I got three of those which gave me some components for the set. I have 4 of the components for the season set for the Wizard class. The power that gave to Archon mode is what's been powering me through the rifts.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 6, 2019

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The Oculus's power procs on kill and I don't think my follower is doing enough damage to be getting kills frequently

Your follower's Oculus Ring triggers off your kills too.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

MariusLecter posted:

mariuslecter#1125

e;

How do you have that many death's breaths?!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Where do I use these Infernal Machines? The wiki says a place called the Heretics Abode in New Tristram, but the place the screenshot shows is obstructed by a merchant in adventure mode and closed in the campaign (I am on Torment IV difficulty). I have three copies of all four machines.

I visited my first portal of greed thanks to a Treasure Goblin. Unfortunately a Rainbow Goblin escaped.

Kyrosiris posted:

Okay. If I find a better ring to wear, I can pass one to my follower.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 7, 2019

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Where do I use these Infernal Machines? The wiki says a place called the Heretics Abode in New Tristram, but the place the screenshot shows is obstructed by a merchant in adventure mode and closed in the campaign (I am on Torment IV difficulty).

You're the loving Nephalem, just break the door down and show that merchant what you think of him blocking your way.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

How do you have that many death's breaths?!

Grinding Neph rifts I guess, I do a lot of power leveling and Torment 6 doesn't drop as many per elite/boss as Torment 13 but I can chain power level pubbies a lot longer than I can just grind on my own.

Have about 900 each of Death's Breaths and Forgotten souls atm, after I've done a ton of reforging, enchanting and rare upgrades tho.
If I remember right I had at least 2,500 of each when I was stockpiling.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 7, 2019

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS
There's also a crafted set that gives you +1 db per drop if you dont like not having dbs. called sages, be careful when crafting because there's two sage sets.

edit:

objectively bad posted:

my last elite was a wormholing teleporting illusionist.

:negative:

objectively bad fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 7, 2019

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

mariuslecter#1125

e;

That amount of gems is silly. Also the ramalamadingdongs stack FYI.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Suburban Dad posted:

That amount of gems is silly. Also the ramalamadingdongs stack FYI.

I prefer them this way.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Why keep gems that aren't top tier or the two tiers that drop? Quit makin unnecessary gems you goobers

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

You get in the middle of upgrading them and have leftovers.

I wish if you have enough marquise or imperial you could just craft the top tier gems without all the clicks.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

MariusLecter posted:

I prefer them this way.

You should keep your gems at imperial not flawlessroyal. You need imperials to reroll jewelry.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

objectively bad posted:

There's also a crafted set that gives you +1 db per drop...

And then we doubled it them!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Vomik posted:

You should keep your gems at imperial not flawlessroyal. You need imperials to reroll jewelry.

Yep, feeling that now that I'm trying to roll a socket on a Traveler's Pledge amulet that would boost the damage on my barbarian by 174,000.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Would increased magic find help increase Chitara's chance to drop the Gibbering Gemstone? That's the last thing I need for the Herding Staff.

I gave the Set Dungeon for Vyr's Amazing Arcana a try, but gave up after two attempts because getting 100 archon stacks seems far too difficult at this point. I do have a belt which adds 42 stacks, but I'm not sure that would be enough. I think I'll have to come back with better equipment.

Kyrosiris posted:

Is that more of an exception or a rule? I'm wondering if unique weapons with on hit/on kill effects also count your hits/kills. I'm guessing not, I equipped a follower with Overwhelming Desire and the charm effect works, but only seems to trigger with his attacks. I also gave him a unique weapon with a 20% chance to cast chain lightning.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Would increased magic find help increase Chitara's chance to drop the Gibbering Gemstone? That's the last thing I need for the Herding Staff.

Don't think so.

From the Diablo3 forums-
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20759055752

MissCheetah posted:

No it is not. It has been mostly removed from game.

100% MF means

-100% chance better chance to get Blue Magic items
-30% chance to get Yellow rare items
-10% chance to get Legendary items

So yeah...given that upping torment levels increased Leg find you are better off doing that than stacking MF. MF is only useful if you are already rocking T13 and can sacrifice some gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

I gave the Set Dungeon for Vyr's Amazing Arcana a try, but gave up after two attempts because getting 100 archon stacks seems far too difficult at this point. I do have a belt which adds 42 stacks, but I'm not sure that would be enough. I think I'll have to come back with better equipment.

Is that more of an exception or a rule? I'm wondering if unique weapons with on hit/on kill effects also count your hits/kills. I'm guessing not, I equipped a follower with Overwhelming Desire and the charm effect works, but only seems to trigger with his attacks. I also gave him a unique weapon with a 20% chance to cast chain lightning.

I think a lot of us have played the game so long that we forget these kinds of things; we just know it, like how grandma knows when it's gonna rain. She's just always known.

The Oculus Ring, by its nature, will proc whenever anything dies, whether you got the killing blow or not. In multiplayer content, the ZDPS wear it to buff the DPS. They sure aren't killing anything, but zones abound anyway. That translates to the follower as well.

For other items, such as Overwhelming Desire, Eun-Jang-Do, uhhh the Hoover neck I forgot the name of (Edit: Ess of Johan). . . those are all triggered on attack by the player wearing it. Now that I think about it, the difference may lie in the "on kill" vs. "on hit" nature of the proc, but don't quote me on that.

My BTag is Zarin#1554; I'll probably be dicking around leveling a few gems and stuff tonight if you think slurping some gear and/or xp would be beneficial.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 8, 2019