Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Infinotize posted:

still gotta film it for the gram though

As long as you put your phone away and follow directions when they blow the doors I don't see any problem with capturing footage during the IFE and landing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Midjack posted:

Better than the 737 over the last seven years, then.

Per mile flown? Per flight?

There are many things to consider when evaluating an aircraft’s safety, and none of them are well-served by looking at the accidents and incidents section of Wikipedia. Admittedly I’m speculating as well, but seeing a Transport-category jet burst into flames on a bog-standard route in what appeared to be VFR weather (with some possible CBs around) is not the same as an accident occurring under different regulations and/or in poo poo weather.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PT6A posted:

Per mile flown? Per flight?

There are many things to consider when evaluating an aircraft’s safety, and none of them are well-served by looking at the accidents and incidents section of Wikipedia. Admittedly I’m speculating as well, but seeing a Transport-category jet burst into flames on a bog-standard route in what appeared to be VFR weather (with some possible CBs around) is not the same as an accident occurring under different regulations and/or in poo poo weather.

I was making a drive by one liner. If you go by fatalities per passenger miles your safest trip is a NASA flight to the moon but I’m not about to say that’s less risky than getting on an Airbus in any practical sense.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

JFK - LUNA - LHR may take 6 days longer than a direct flight, but think of the miles

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

MrYenko posted:

Until you fly them into the trees. Or ocean.

Or to FL410.

Kebbins
Apr 9, 2017

BRAK LIVES MATTER

What knocks a nosecone off?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kebbins posted:

Any collision. They’re pretty weak so radar can penetrate.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kebbins posted:

birds

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Kebbins posted:

The fronts come off.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PT6A posted:

Didn’t they supposedly fix whatever the problem was?

They didn’t fix The South, no.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

e.pilot posted:

The fronts come off.

So, the allegations that they are just designed to carry as many passengers as possible and to hell with the consequences, I mean that’s ludicrous…

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

RandomPauI posted:

So, the allegations that they are just designed to carry as many passengers as possible and to hell with the consequences, I mean that’s ludicrous…

Well the fronts not supposed to come off.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

FT is saying the Superjet was indeed struck by lightning.

quote:

Shares in Russian state-run airline Aeroflot fell by more than 3 per cent to a three-year low on the Moscow exchange on Monday after a fiery crash that killed 41 people in a Moscow airport.

An Aeroflot Sukhoi Superjet 100 made a crash-landing when it was struck by lightning after taking off for Murmansk on Sunday night, then caught fire as it skidded along the runway and parts of the chassis flew into its left engine, officials said.

Russian investigators said possible reasons for the crash included pilot error, failed safety issues, mechanical problems, and stormy weather.

Aeroflot’s shares recovered slightly and were recently down 2 per cent.

https://www.ft.com/content/783b3eac-6fd9-11e9-bbfb-5c68069fbd15

That was first rumored, then denied, but I suppose the confusion lies in what caused the fire. It could have been a perfectly fine plane but a botched landing or perhaps the strike messed up something. Or for that matter a damaged plane but a botched landing nonetheless. Nothing like a few million volts to find gaps in your Faraday cage. Anyone know if it uses composites?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

slidebite posted:

Since I don't really use headphones for my personal electronics, 3.5MM input, or at least option, would be best for plugging into the IFE. Any recommendations that aren't horrifically expensive?
The bose with the wire. They last forever since they don't have a radio, and take normal AAA's instead of an internal lithium.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Ola posted:

FT is saying the Superjet was indeed struck by lightning.

https://www.ft.com/content/783b3eac-6fd9-11e9-bbfb-5c68069fbd15

That was first rumored, then denied, but I suppose the confusion lies in what caused the fire. It could have been a perfectly fine plane but a botched landing or perhaps the strike messed up something. Or for that matter a damaged plane but a botched landing nonetheless. Nothing like a few million volts to find gaps in your Faraday cage. Anyone know if it uses composites?

The video posted earlier shows the plane wasn't on fire until it had a hard landing. So my theory is they lost some controls in the lightning strike and landed hard with a full load of fuel.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

e.pilot posted:

Well the fronts not supposed to come off.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Guys, I have a concern.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Obligatory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m5qxZm_JqM

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

monkeytennis posted:

I’m the guy strolling away from the blazing wreckage carrying the suitcase.

Yeah, I always try to get an exit row seat because of the extra legroom, but gently caress do I never want to have to yell at people to leave their god-damned carry-ons alone and get the holy gently caress off the plane.

J33uk posted:

I pretty much never do this but this is footage from inside the plane on landing and it genuinely freaked me out in a way that watching a bunch of crash videos never has. Just a heads up for folks.

It is horrifying, but I couldn't help but chuckle at the normal "bing bong" noise that plays during it.

I mean, to get that noise, the pilot has to press something in the cockpit that triggers it, and... I'd really like to think he should've *maybe* skipped that step in this instance.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 6, 2019

marumaru
May 20, 2013

J33uk posted:

I pretty much never do this but this is footage from inside the plane on landing and it genuinely freaked me out in a way that watching a bunch of crash videos never has. Just a heads up for folks.

Yeah, that was a surprising, unwelcome feeling. I think knowing that there were death made it worse.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It is horrifying, but I couldn't help but chuckle at the normal "bing bong" noise that plays during it.

I didn't really laugh but that was a bit absurd, yes. :v:

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Taking your backpack with you that is stored under the seat at your feet I can understand. Hell I would do that even.
But I'm surprised the people who actually try take stuff from the overhead compartment aren't literally trampled and pushed aside by everyone else.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

JFK - LUNA - LHR may take 6 days longer than a direct flight, but think of the miles

Not sure if it's true, but tale always was astronauts, as government employees, had to file travel documents.

Departing: Kennedy Space Center
Destination: Kennedy Space Center
Mode of travel: Space Shuttle

You know, because you can't use a government vehicle if there's a commercial alternative.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Platonicsolid posted:

Not sure if it's true, but tale always was astronauts, as government employees, had to file travel documents.

Departing: Kennedy Space Center
Destination: Kennedy Space Center
Mode of travel: Space Shuttle

You know, because you can't use a government vehicle if there's a commercial alternative.

Even if they didn't have to that'd be a fun form to fill out.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

Taking your backpack with you that is stored under the seat at your feet I can understand. Hell I would do that even.
But I'm surprised the people who actually try take stuff from the overhead compartment aren't literally trampled and pushed aside by everyone else.

Purses I can understand. Especially if they've got passports and such in them. Maybe even a small shoulder bag if it has the same important documentation in it.

But a backpack? Nope. If you're rushed and one of the myriad of loops on that thing catches on a piece of metal (or even an armrest) as you're hurriedly scampering through the hole in the plane left after detaching the emergency exit panel, you just rendered that avenue ineffective.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
:nms: https://youtu.be/cNBssNXumoE :nms:

Cabin footage of the Aeroflot crash and fire.

Don’t watch this. Seriously. Even if you’re tolerant to human suffering, the behavior of those humans will make you lose your mind.

Leave the loving BAGS YOU STUPID loving TWATS

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

Getting through a window exit with any gear at all is already a tremendous PITA. (Shoulder bag) straps can get snagged on seats and arm rests. Just get the gently caress off the plane. If you can spare the time to grab something, grab the arm of the kid or grandma that's following you.
If I saw someone with a bag I'd help them out first but probably also sock them in the mouth after.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 6, 2019

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

hobbesmaster posted:

Even if they didn't have to that'd be a fun form to fill out.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheRealB...pense-form.html

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It’s just for the rental car he needed for 9 days prior to launch at KSC?

edit: got a better view, he got mileage on a personal vehicle in the vicinity of KSC and then a per diem?

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 6, 2019

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

hobbesmaster posted:

It’s just for the rental car he needed for 9 days prior to launch at KSC?

But it includes travel aboard "Gov. Spacecraft." I love it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blue Footed Booby posted:

But it includes travel aboard "Gov. Spacecraft." I love it.

Also, in points of travel: Moon

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Phy posted:

Also, in points of travel: Moon

Which is not in the US so they needed to fill out a customs form upon landing in Hawaii: https://www.space.com/7044-moon-apollo-astronauts-customs.html

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

Which is not in the US so they needed to fill out a customs form upon landing in Hawaii: https://www.space.com/7044-moon-apollo-astronauts-customs.html

I feel like Collins wouldn’t have needed to go through customs. He merely flew over the moon.

That makes me wonder, though: if I sail away from the US out to international waters (Beyond the EEZ) and back, do I need to report to customs when returning?

Kebbins
Apr 9, 2017

BRAK LIVES MATTER

hobbesmaster posted:

Any collision. They’re pretty weak so radar can penetrate.

Maybe I asked the wrong question. Are the nosecones of airliners the same regardless of whether or not the plane is equipped with radar? It was my understanding that the vast majority of airliners don't have their own radar. Is there some other sensor up there or functionality that needs all nosecones to be made of different material, or is it that the nosecone is kind of one piece and that if a bit of it goes, it all goes?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Kebbins posted:

Maybe I asked the wrong question. Are the nosecones of airliners the same regardless of whether or not the plane is equipped with radar? It was my understanding that the vast majority of airliners don't have their own radar. Is there some other sensor up there or functionality that needs all nosecones to be made of different material, or is it that the nosecone is kind of one piece and that if a bit of it goes, it all goes?

They all have weather radar.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Kebbins posted:

It was my understanding that the vast majority of airliners don't have their own radar.

I thought it was the opposite, anything flying paying passengers on a schedule in instrument conditions need to have a weather radar.

Ola fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 6, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kebbins posted:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/135.175

quote:

(a) No person may operate a large, transport category aircraft in passenger-carrying operations unless approved airborne weather radar equipment is installed in the aircraft.
All airliners are required to have a weather radar, so they should all have one there.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Kebbins posted:

The centre bit is radar transparent; the surround is structure to support that bit. At the point where this one detached, it's attached by not much more than a hinge and a few fasteners. They swing open for maintenance access or for replacement.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Brovine posted:

The centre bit is radar transparent; the surround is structure to support that bit. At the point where this one detached, it's attached by not much more than a hinge and a few fasteners. They swing open for maintenance access or for replacement.

Here's a good pic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_radar#/media/File:JA2012_Centrair_(8085931283).jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Speaking of insufferable recurring internet aviation arguments, I just let myself get embroiled in a downwind turn thread on another forum https://xkcd.com/386/ :negative: