Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CruzerZERO
May 8, 2007

Oh man, what a bummer
Is there a way to undo a Fantasia once it's been used? I stopped playing my first character, an Elezen, since I'm bouncing between an Au'ra and a Lalafell to level and I'm debating between using the Fantasia or grinding the MSQ yet again on a new character since I haven't gotten past 50 something on any of my characters. It looks like using the Fantasia doesn't let you really preview your new character with gear on from what I read.

I hate that I keep experiencing such a massive disconnect from my characters once I finish the 2.0 ARR storyline. :sigh: Hopefully I'll get to experience the expansion content eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So, like 3 days ago I decided to take the plunge into the Free to Play Lv.35 Demo. See, I love Paladins, I've played Paladins in games since I was... 12, I am currently 28, I have an affinity for the class. But I hate shields, because I'm a gigantic loving weeb it's more heroic to wield claymores. Anyway, when I saw there was an Invisi-Shield introduced with the Garo Crossover stuff, and that I could, ya know, get it in the Gold Saucer. That said, I was kinda hoping the game'd be poo poo. Especially since I'd heard it only 'got good' in Heavensward, which definitely wouldn't be available until I finished the MSQ.

Well, turns out I was loving wrong and the game was amazing fun. Yeah, the rotation was simple, but there was a zen-nature to that simple rotation. I enjoyed doing tank duty, apparently not a lot of people like it? And yeah, I always thought of myself as DPSman but there's, again, something zen about having the entire enemy focusing on you, dropping flashes to bring them in and making sure the idiot DPS who charged into the room before I could actually start pulling doesn't die, even though I should just let them, the morons.

The story was intriguing, I love the NPC dialogue, and I was invested in what was going on. Unfortunately, the demo seems pretty set up to cap you mid-build to Titan. They dangle you in the water, give you a taste of Ifrit, leave you hoping each new MSQ will give you another Ifrit, fake you out with Ramuh, and then get you most of the build to Titan and then you smash into that level cap. And you COULD go and fight Titan, but all that wasted EXP!

If I was in a better place financially, I'd definitely see myself losing it to this game, I bloody well brought the on-sale complete collection because hey, $42(AUD) is pretty neat for an MMO+Expansions, but now I think I should try to not play, at least until this semester of my Masters is up.

In short: Game good, game very good, glad that I got some first-hand experience to use in my thesis (Development in the Digital Era. I'm using Anthem and 1.0 as examples of tremendous fuckups.)

Onmi fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 6, 2019

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Onmi posted:

So, like 3 days ago I decided to take the plunge into the Free to Play Lv.35 Demo

Sounds like you missed the free ARR+Heavensward giveaways

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

CruzerZERO posted:

Is there a way to undo a Fantasia once it's been used? I stopped playing my first character, an Elezen, since I'm bouncing between an Au'ra and a Lalafell to level and I'm debating between using the Fantasia or grinding the MSQ yet again on a new character since I haven't gotten past 50 something on any of my characters. It looks like using the Fantasia doesn't let you really preview your new character with gear on from what I read.

I hate that I keep experiencing such a massive disconnect from my characters once I finish the 2.0 ARR storyline. :sigh: Hopefully I'll get to experience the expansion content eventually.

There isn't, but there are a few ways around this if you are clever.

If you can make multiple characters on the same server and have a friend willing to help you out, you can make a new character with the appearance you want to test. Join a party with your friend on your original character and link the gear you are interested in. Then, switch to the new character with the appearance you want to test, and have your friend link the gear back to you. This will let you see how the gear looks in the try-on window. Alternatively, just make the character on a new server and use the marketboard to preview gear.

If you are on PC, you can use a third party program called FFXIV Screenshot Tool (or FFXIV SSTool) to temporarily change how your character appears on your client, including trying on whatever gear you want to look at. Please note that using SSTool violates the EULA. All of its changes are in the active memory of your client, which makes it undetectable in most circumstances. The only detectable effect the users have found is using the tool while accessing the aesthetician to get a haircut in game. The menu retrieves character specific information from your client, which can be modified with SSTool.

CruzerZERO
May 8, 2007

Oh man, what a bummer

Tenik posted:

There isn't, but there are a few ways around this if you are clever.

If you can make multiple characters on the same server and have a friend willing to help you out, you can make a new character with the appearance you want to test. Join a party with your friend on your original character and link the gear you are interested in. Then, switch to the new character with the appearance you want to test, and have your friend link the gear back to you. This will let you see how the gear looks in the try-on window. Alternatively, just make the character on a new server and use the marketboard to preview gear.

If you are on PC, you can use a third party program called FFXIV Screenshot Tool (or FFXIV SSTool) to temporarily change how your character appears on your client, including trying on whatever gear you want to look at. Please note that using SSTool violates the EULA. All of its changes are in the active memory of your client, which makes it undetectable in most circumstances. The only detectable effect the users have found is using the tool while accessing the aesthetician to get a haircut in game. The menu retrieves character specific information from your client, which can be modified with SSTool.

I like the first suggestion! I have to admit that's a clever work around. Thanks alot!

Regarding the second one, I know you mentioned that it's against EULA. Does that extend to mods, if there's any to this game? I haven't really bothered to check for any since the game has a more laid back feel for me compared to WoW's dungeon mechanics but now I'm curious to know more.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

CruzerZERO posted:

It doesn't let you preview your current gear, because you have to unequip everything but your weapon and job stone. The Fantasia adds a submenu option to your character on the selection screen, and it stays available until you click it and finalize a new appearance.

You should download the SB benchmark if you can and use its character creator to make and save appearances.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

CYBEReris posted:

I think one of the things that plays into tanxiety is the uncertainty of whether your gear will be sufficient, especially after the awkward halfway-point of an expansion where your tomestone gear starts to fall off, and at cap before you've farmed the literally 100 ilvls between starter and relevant gear.

It's this for me, with the other factor being whether I'm setting a 'sufficient' pace (e.g. multipulling or not). I find that the way they tend to gate dungeons nowadays--two or three pulls, destructible terrain, maybe one more pull, then a boss--eases this problem, and helped me build confidence for shitshows like Aurum Vale

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

CruzerZERO posted:

Regarding the second one, I know you mentioned that it's against EULA. Does that extend to mods, if there's any to this game? I haven't really bothered to check for any since the game has a more laid back feel for me compared to WoW's dungeon mechanics but now I'm curious to know more.

Active Combat Tracker (ACT) is the main third party tool people use. It is completely against the EULA but tons of people use it and you'll never get in trouble for using it unless you talk about it and someone reports you.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Multi pulls are a thing when you know your DPS aren’t really bad. I’ve slowed down dungeons just because multipulling doesn’t make sense when the dragoon never uses their aoe, which is a fuckin travesty because sonic thrust is their coolest non dragon animation, and the healer is casting medica 2 during every pull like they want to die. Sorry other DPS, you’re doing everything okay, but we have to carry a couple dipshits.

Just go at your pace and be willing to adjust if it seems like your party can handle more or can’t handle that pace. If you’re in a full goon group you’re probably good to go ham, but there are some awful pubs in this game that goons might never see because they always run together.

I think a big part of tanxiety is the expectation new tanks have that they need to already know everything, but that’s really not true. It’s still a collaborative effort, if someone starts screaming at you for not knowing pubstratz then they’re the rear end in a top hat, not you.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 6, 2019

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
One thing I've noticed about FF14 boss/trial design is that they're generally pretty good about having the tankbuster be one of the first things the boss uses, at a time when there's nothing else going on (and you'll probably be at high enough health to survive it even without a cooldown, or alternatively if you pop one of the longer cooldowns at the start of the fight it'll probably still be up for the tankbuster). It's another of those "show you a mechanic in a simple way which can't kill you before mixing it with other stuff" things. Unfortunately they do also have a few instant-cast tankbusters around, which basically require you to memorise the entire boss rotation in some cases (looking at you, Titan).

Savage/EX stuff will probably not obey this rule, and tankbusters will absolutely kill you from full health, but at least those are far fewer than dungeons and won't come up on roulettes.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

CYBEReris posted:

I think one of the things that plays into tanxiety is the uncertainty of whether your gear will be sufficient, especially after the awkward halfway-point of an expansion where your tomestone gear starts to fall off, and at cap before you've farmed the literally 100 ilvls between starter and relevant gear.

I know I'm way behind at this point. I'll probably beg in DGKK for a few carries later.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

ultimately i think people being afraid of tanking is a good thing because it means i get fast queues, all the commendations, and easy gameplay all to myself for the rest of the game's lifespan

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

CruzerZERO posted:

Mods and third party programs are absolutely against the EULA. That said, there are a lot of them out there. In general, the ffxiv server cannot detect a mod if it is something that changes how your game displays things, such as taking the ears and eggs off of the Easter event gear, using SSTool to test a new look, using Reshade to add post-processing filters, etc. The dev team doesn't really care about those aesthetic mods. If it is something that gives you an advantage in combat over another player, like the popular DPS tracker and mechanics call-out program, the game cannot detect it but the devs are unhappy that people use them. If you talk about them in game, or harass another player over their low DPS numbers, you can get banned or suspended for it.

FFXIV has consistent mechanics and a very forgiving learning curve. You won't need to use mods like you did in WoW dungeons. Level 1-50 will expose you to basic markers, like the orange AOE markers and markers above players' heads that show they are going to have an attack centered on them. Level 50-60 will have you deal with those basic markers in more complex arrangements, like multiple players being marked for AOEs forcing the players to negotiate for positioning. Level 60 fights will expose you to more complex markers, like the stack marker and allagan towers (technically level 50 raid content, but they enter casual content at level 60). Level 60-70 content will have you deal with those complex markers in more complicated situations and throws in a few new things. New mechanics in this level range include forced movement, and a new duty specific action that you will have access to during specific fights. Level 70 content requires dealing with multiple complex markers in a complex situation, such as all players stacking together for one hit, then the players are forced to move in one direction (direction depends on a player's facing), then the party is hit with an additional stack attack during the forced movement. Level 70 mechanics can get a bit complicated, but the leveling process will give you plenty of time to learn markers and skill names.

The devs care so much about making mechanics consistent and easy to read that they even made an entire boss fight in the level 65 dungeon that's just a big quiz/learning opportunity for dodging and performing overlapping mechanics.

super sweet best pal posted:

I know I'm way behind at this point. I'll probably beg in DGKK for a few carries later.

Please cross out that "probably." We love to help people clear stuff!

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I was just thinking last night about just how many more markers they could add to callouts because there seems to be a lot of them, and some just aren't obvious on what to do without just fumblefucking through them.

I've got the blue squiggly that looks like a red squiggly which in that one raid it meant run away from the group. But that dude has a black ball ring which meant don't stand in it but stand in the thing that appears after it but if I bring this over i might kill everyone. Now these dudes have the red triangles but they're running all over the loving place and instagibbing people and now why are all these assholes dropping the green meteors right on the bosses rear end in a top hat negating the ability to hide from said meteor and oh god what direction is the water pot facing.

Praise and coms for good Red Mages who rez like champions.

Givin fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 6, 2019

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Talking about the "language" of combat in this game (visual, like aoe markers; audible sfx; chat callouts; character visual tells; etc) seems like it could make for a fascinating article

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Talking about the "language" of combat in this game (visual, like aoe markers; audible sfx; chat callouts; character visual tells; etc) seems like it could make for a fascinating article

I think I remember some raid designer from WoW talking about this in respect to Thordan Extreme?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

CYBEReris posted:

I think I remember some raid designer from WoW talking about this in respect to Thordan Extreme?

Yes, and it's a great read.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

ARR was a mess of one marker doing different things in different fights so thank god they cut that poo poo out.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

CYBEReris posted:

https://pedrothedagger.blogspot.com/2016/03/raid-boss-dissection-ffxiv-thordan.html

Here it is.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Chapman's consistently been a fan of FFXIV and YoshiP. Different but important note, he also believes in workers' rights and unions. Pretty cool dude.

Fureil
Jul 7, 2012

CYBEReris posted:

I think the big time I experienced this was during some of the mid 60s dungeons. There were a few where I was just literally having to pop CDs as soon as they came up and do small pulls just so that the healer could keep me up. Not sure if it was my gear, the healers gear, or a combo, but there were a few rough patches in there. Other than that tanking has been a dream. I enjoy healing as well, but anytime I try to play a DPS job I get mildly panicked if I don't know the tank or the healer because something something control issues and when they gently caress up eventually blame rolls down hill. Heaven forbid I try to get the pug tank and healer to stop fighting because then I become the bad guy.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Boogalo posted:

ARR was a mess of one marker doing different things in different fights so thank god they cut that poo poo out.

I like having AoE markers that say things like "stack up to split damage", "put someone on the point so the damage doesn't hit the entire party" or "don't look at this when it goes off". Gives the battles depth.

justblais
Apr 28, 2019

its ya boi

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I think a big part of tanxiety is the expectation new tanks have that they need to already know everything, but that’s really not true. It’s still a collaborative effort, if someone starts screaming at you for not knowing pubstratz then they’re the rear end in a top hat, not you.

this is huge honestly, I just started this game a month ago and have been tanking since I unlocked DRK and have anxiety every time I enter a dungeon but I usually just tell people "hey i've never done this dungeon before, tell me if I'm doing something wrong" and people have been super polite and also willing to tell me if there are mechanics in an upcoming fight

in a few instances (like my first time vault today) I queued in and just said like "hey is it cool if I watch a two minute video on the boss fights real quick" and everyone said sure and it went super smoothly. people seem real understanding in this game of it being your first time, at least in the leveling progression content I've done so far.

GunblazeGriffin
Jan 27, 2009
Am I going to cripple myself if I turn off spell effects for myself and my party to help me focus a little better, or is it situational?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

GunblazeGriffin posted:

Am I going to cripple myself if I turn off spell effects for myself and my party to help me focus a little better, or is it situational?

I can’t raid with party effects higher than limited as a melee, it’s too busy and my eyes get lost. You don’t need to see the friendly explosions to do the fights. I keep personal effects on full usually just because they aren’t the unexpected giant block of stone / fireballs I can’t see the boss through.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

GunblazeGriffin posted:

The contrary. Most raiders I see turn spell effects down low. Boss effects, UIs and markers stay active, but you don't see the spell effect spam from the rest of your group.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

super sweet best pal posted:

I like having AoE markers that say things like "stack up to split damage", "put someone on the point so the damage doesn't hit the entire party" or "don't look at this when it goes off". Gives the battles depth.

As good and consistent as the game is now, they didn't really sort out the "this mechanic has this specific callout/marker every time" until part of the way into Heavensward.

Which makes going back to the older stuff that much more frustrating since you still have to remember, this marker means this etc...

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Wacky Delly posted:

As good and consistent as the game is now, they didn't really sort out the "this mechanic has this specific callout/marker every time" until part of the way into Heavensward.

Which makes going back to the older stuff that much more frustrating since you still have to remember, this marker means this etc...

Watching someone get the lightning marker during the five-headed dragon fight in WoD, panic, run away from the entire rest of the raid, and then instantly die is always good for a laugh.

(When someone does the exact same thing with a stack marker in the Nidhogg trial, on the other hand...)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

jalapeno_dude posted:

Watching someone get the lightning marker during the five-headed dragon fight in WoD, panic, run away from the entire rest of the raid, and then instantly die is always good for a laugh.

(When someone does the exact same thing with a stack marker in the Nidhogg trial, on the other hand...)

It does get amusing when a mechanic that had previously only appeared in raids gets brought into trials and dungeons. I didn't realize what the Tiny Song stack marker on Hildibrand SB was until a goon pointed it out, that marker had only previously shown up in raids (which I hadn't done).

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

justblais posted:

this is huge honestly, I just started this game a month ago and have been tanking since I unlocked DRK and have anxiety every time I enter a dungeon but I usually just tell people "hey i've never done this dungeon before, tell me if I'm doing something wrong" and people have been super polite and also willing to tell me if there are mechanics in an upcoming fight

in a few instances (like my first time vault today) I queued in and just said like "hey is it cool if I watch a two minute video on the boss fights real quick" and everyone said sure and it went super smoothly. people seem real understanding in this game of it being your first time, at least in the leveling progression content I've done so far.

I'm in the same boat as you, but not tanking. I ran Hell's Lid last night, and I think all 4 of us had never seen it before. It took us three tries at seeing the ferret's crazy aoe phase where he zips around and everything on the field gives knockback and vuln+ to solve it.

But unlike Some Other MMOs I Know, nobody got chippy, and we helped each other through it, and we hailed the tank and dragoon who actually survived it the last time as heroes for actually finishing the boss while the healer and bard (me) were busy floor tanking.

CruzerZERO
May 8, 2007

Oh man, what a bummer

Tenik posted:

Mods and third party programs are absolutely against the EULA. That said, there are a lot of them out there. In general, the ffxiv server cannot detect a mod if it is something that changes how your game displays things, such as taking the ears and eggs off of the Easter event gear, using SSTool to test a new look, using Reshade to add post-processing filters, etc. The dev team doesn't really care about those aesthetic mods. If it is something that gives you an advantage in combat over another player, like the popular DPS tracker and mechanics call-out program, the game cannot detect it but the devs are unhappy that people use them. If you talk about them in game, or harass another player over their low DPS numbers, you can get banned or suspended for it.

FFXIV has consistent mechanics and a very forgiving learning curve. You won't need to use mods like you did in WoW dungeons. Level 1-50 will expose you to basic markers, like the orange AOE markers and markers above players' heads that show they are going to have an attack centered on them. Level 50-60 will have you deal with those basic markers in more complex arrangements, like multiple players being marked for AOEs forcing the players to negotiate for positioning. Level 60 fights will expose you to more complex markers, like the stack marker and allagan towers (technically level 50 raid content, but they enter casual content at level 60). Level 60-70 content will have you deal with those complex markers in more complicated situations and throws in a few new things. New mechanics in this level range include forced movement, and a new duty specific action that you will have access to during specific fights. Level 70 content requires dealing with multiple complex markers in a complex situation, such as all players stacking together for one hit, then the players are forced to move in one direction (direction depends on a player's facing), then the party is hit with an additional stack attack during the forced movement. Level 70 mechanics can get a bit complicated, but the leveling process will give you plenty of time to learn markers and skill names.

The devs care so much about making mechanics consistent and easy to read that they even made an entire boss fight in the level 65 dungeon that's just a big quiz/learning opportunity for dodging and performing overlapping mechanics.

Please cross out that "probably." We love to help people clear stuff!

Thank you for the detailed reply, this is great to know. :) So far I've enjoyed how forgiving the gameplay can be with grouping in this game. My only regret is my constant alt-itis stopping me from going past a certain point because I want to glamour every character differently.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

CruzerZERO posted:

My only regret is my constant alt-itis stopping me from going past a certain point because I want to glamour every character differently.

I’m really going to caution you against making alts. Every character can do every job, there is no actual benefit to rolling an alt until you want additional raid lockouts, or to play on another data center for some reason.

Especially as a newbie to the game, you’re only going to sign yourself up for doing the entire AAR tutorial that many more times if you make an alt this early on.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah the only sane reason for having an alt is if you absolutely have to play on two different data centers simultaneously. Everything else that matters can and should be done with your single main character. It's not like other MMOs that way.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

GunblazeGriffin posted:

I leave mine on full, party to limited, and everyone else to minimal.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Wylie posted:

I'm in the same boat as you, but not tanking. I ran Hell's Lid last night, and I think all 4 of us had never seen it before. It took us three tries at seeing the ferret's crazy aoe phase where he zips around and everything on the field gives knockback and vuln+ to solve it.
Hell's Lid isn't too bad, luckily, because it's mostly just standard mechanics you've seen in other dungeons. The only time I've run Hell's Lid I was so incredibly high on edibles that I could not tell you what the dungeon was or what enemies are in it. I remember spending a lot of time being like "I have absolutely no idea what's going on" and still never getting hit with an AOE. It's the only FF14 dungeon I straight-up could not tell you what the dungeon is.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

My only problem with Hells' Lid is the first few pulls are tiny and insufficient for my monkey warrior brain :black101:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Asimo posted:

Yeah the only sane reason for having an alt is if you absolutely have to play on two different data centers simultaneously. Everything else that matters can and should be done with your single main character. It's not like other MMOs that way.

The game caters to main-itis rather than alt-itis and I love it for it.

Literally the only thing you can miss out on is the starting city storylines and those are a quick jaunt for new characters these days.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
This is the wrong thread.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Actually I'm going to have to have Balthier AND Fran available for me to play at the same time, so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Asimo posted:

what if I want to play dressup with male and female characters