Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Mat Cauthon posted:

Is it explained or even suggested anywhere why Tormund and the freefolk go back north of the wall? It's so out of left field. Just straight up "I have to go, my planet needs me".

Yeah they couldn't pay the actors anymore for the last two episodes because the remainder of the budget was spent on #TheFinalWar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

If they stayed south of the wall eventually they’ll be forced to serve southern lords. This has always been a thing with the wildlings

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Mat Cauthon posted:

Is it explained or even suggested anywhere why Tormund and the freefolk go back north of the wall? It's so out of left field. Just straight up "I have to go, my planet needs me".

come on this is really not something that needed to be spelled out. the north is the only home they've ever known and now they don't have the threat of the white walkers pushing them out

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Admiral Ray posted:

What bothers me is that they didn't have Qyburn give a throwaway line about how they needed to up the tension in the scorpions to puncture dragon skin and sometimes they might explode on themselves due to it. Show the scorpions firing but some of them crack and break with hilarious effect on the surrounding crew. It'd allow for their existence while not letting them be a hard counter to dragons.

Qyburn is the best since he learns from his mistake and improves, something the 2 self proclaimed smartest characters in the show have been informing other people at the top of their lungs for the past 2 seasons yet then proceed to a) organize another plan that gets the remainer of their fleet destroyed in a similar fashion as the 2 previous times, and b) share a gamechanging secret with one of nosiest character in the show who happens to be best friends with the other nosiest character in the show.

Now that Tormund left into his own spinoff and is safe, Pod stayed in the North and is safe, and Davos dissapeared from the episode after the opening 30 seconds (maybe the smartest person in the show should have thought about bringing the ship captain to command the ships in case of an eventual ship battle against the enemy's ships) and is safe, if anything happens to Qyburn I'll be LIVID :mad:

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Given Captain Hornypants has magic bolt shooting abilities ala Wanted, why didn't he just shoot the dragon with the dragon queen riding on it?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

TheRat posted:

The north is their home. They were running south because a big fuckoff army of dead people were coming for them. The dead are gone now. They want to go home.

Yet the wildings have tried repeatedly over the centuries to get past the wall lol.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Enigma posted:

Given Captain Hornypants has magic bolt shooting abilities ala Wanted, why didn't he just shoot the dragon with the dragon queen riding on it?

Hell, why didn't he angle his magic ballista like 72º up into the sky and kill the NK last episode

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
There's no indication Sansa shared the secret on purpose with Tyrion (because once again, an actual acting scene about something important was cut away like it was a battle scene in season 1). But I'm gonna believe she did knowing he'd tell varys and word would spread, because it's absolutely in sansas interest to spread the word and destabilize Dany

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Thom12255 posted:

Yet the wildings have tried repeatedly over the centuries to get past the wall lol.

And the vikings tried repeatedly to invade England, but they always went home

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
So for House Stark to continue, do they need to get a maester to shove a finger up Bran's rear end (since he has no feeling down there) in order to milk his prostate for some fresh heirs since he's the only legitimate male heir?

Ditto if he ends up becoming king like the stupid spoilers say.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

COOL CORN posted:

ehhhhh, you know the Normans were Vikings?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

COOL CORN posted:

Please tell me this post is a joke and you are not serious. Just in case you are...https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Heathen_Army

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
It's really fascinating watching all the show-only folks flip out over how bad this episode was. I mean, its been really bad, but I didn't think this particular episode was significantly worse than the previous 3. They've all been really bad. Maybe this one was worse because they tried to stack so much into a shitpile at once.

I literally laughed at the shot of Brienne in a robe crying as Jaime rode off. This is where we brought her character to? Crying over a dude leaving her? Lmao.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

lezard_valeth posted:

Davos dissapeared from the episode after the opening 30 seconds (maybe the smartest person in the show should have thought about bringing the ship captain to command the ships in case of an eventual ship battle against the enemy's ships)

Davos might have said "hey let's not lower the sails and drop anchor until we find the Iron Fleet"

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Thom12255 posted:

Didn't Stannis give them hundreds of square miles to settle on in the Gift (the land right below the Wall)?

I guess none of that matters but uh, it seemed important at the time.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

LLJKSiLk posted:

So for House Stark to continue, do they need to get a maester to shove a finger up Bran's rear end (since he has no feeling down there) in order to milk his prostate for some fresh heirs since he's the only legitimate male heir?

100 years ago or something like that all the male Starks died. The women just kept the Stark name.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mike N Eich posted:

I literally laughed at the shot of Brienne in a robe crying as Jaime rode off. This is where we brought her character to? Crying over a dude leaving her? Lmao.

I feel like she was supposed to share the audience's disappointment in Jaime's apparent regression.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

TheRat posted:

If you watch the behind the scenes about this episode they actually talk about how Qyburn saw the scorpions used on Drogon in season 7 weren't powerful enough so he went back to the drawing board and made new ones. The ones Euron was using are 65% larger.

Qyburn is the loving man

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

mastershakeman posted:

There's no indication Sansa shared the secret on purpose with Tyrion (because once again, an actual acting scene about something important was cut away like it was a battle scene in season 1). But I'm gonna believe she did knowing he'd tell varys and word would spread, because it's absolutely in sansas interest to spread the word and destabilize Dany

that's 100% how I read the scene. I think Sophie Turner's pretty good! You can see her struggling with the idea of keeping the secret or using it to undermine Dany. It's not Emmy caliber but she's not completely emotionless unlike some other younger actors on the show lmao.

Anyway Sansa owns.

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008

Mike N Eich posted:

It's really fascinating watching all the show-only folks flip out over how bad this episode was. I mean, its been really bad, but I didn't think this particular episode was significantly worse than the previous 3. They've all been really bad. Maybe this one was worse because they tried to stack so much into a shitpile at once.

She was as shocked as the rest of us that Jaime didn’t stay with her and settle down in winterfell!
Sure pulled the rug out from under us all with not letting him retire!

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

romanowski posted:

come on this is really not something that needed to be spelled out. the north is the only home they've ever known and now they don't have the threat of the white walkers pushing them out

They tried to invade several times because eeking out a living in a frozen tundra sucks rear end compared to living in the relative comfort of the North. Even if they were really set on going back, why not wait until spring? I'm glad my boy Tormund lived but c'mon man this had "BUDGETARY RESTRICTIONS" written all over it. The North is as big as the other 6 realms put together, you can't tell me that's not enough room to ramble around.

LLJKSiLk posted:

Given that all the Northern lords voted for Jon to be King in the North it doesn't seem like they place a lot of emphasis on strict lineage requirements or primogeniture up there. Jon's kids, if he ever has any, will be Starks and count. If not, Sansa's kids will suffice.

Mike N Eich posted:

I was genuinely sad at that scene, but I don't think it's Brienne falling to pieces over a boy. All that poo poo he says about not being a good man, about being the same as Cersei is bullshit and they both know it. He's pulling a Harry & the Hendersons, trying to force her away for her own sake, so that she'll be less disappointed when she hears that he either 1) killed his sister or 2) died trying to save her or 3) done some horrible poo poo in service of 1 or 2.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Mat Cauthon posted:

They tried to invade several times because eeking out a living in a frozen tundra sucks rear end compared to living in the relative comfort of the North. Even if they were really set on going back, why not wait until spring? I'm glad my boy Tormund lived but c'mon man this had "BUDGETARY RESTRICTIONS" written all over it. The North is as big as the other 6 realms put together, you can't tell me that's not enough room to ramble around.

There's just no way they'd go back. It's ridiculous and a pretty modern view of "homeland".

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Yeah I'm pretty sure in the books there's some discussion of the Freefolk seeing the North below the wall as their rightful territory and the NW or Northern lords as interlopers. The point wasn't that north of the wall was some great place, it's that the kneelers kept trying to restrict their free movement and deny them the resources they would've otherwise had access to.

Before the ice zombie poo poo at least, but we all know that was just a big distraction in the long run.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

In the books there's a much bigger emphasis on giving the Wildlings land south of the wall, as well as marrying Alys Karstark into the Thenns (who in the books are not cannibals and are the only group of wildlings north of the wall who are 'civilized' and hold some kind of structure the way a great house and its surrounding community might) so for the wildlings to just gently caress off back to the north after the others are dealt with is pretty lol

But idk maybe the implication is the winter won't be quite as poo poo up there now with no walkers wandering about ??

That is until Bran makes a new Night King ofc to balance out R'hllor or w/e

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

esperterra posted:

In the books there's a much bigger emphasis on giving the Wildlings land south of the wall, as well as marrying Alys Karstark into the Thenns (who in the books are not cannibals and are the only group of wildlings north of the wall who are 'civilized' and hold some kind of structure the way a great house and its surrounding community might) so for the wildlings to just gently caress off back to the north after the others are dealt with is pretty lol

But idk maybe the implication is the winter won't be quite as poo poo up there now with no walkers wandering about ??

That is until Bran makes a new Night King ofc to balance out R'hllor or w/e

Pretty sure that (like I said before) at least in the show there's no winter now the NK is dead.

In the books the WW are just myths, barely seen even by the wildlings until more recently, I have no idea if the show gave that idea too.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

This would be hilarious without that lovely caption.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I didn't realize that D&D looked like the Great Value brand Coen brothers

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Wait so is bran going to be King or night King I'm remembering both from the same list of spoilers

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Krinkle posted:

Wait so is bran going to be King or night King I'm remembering both from the same list of spoilers

He's going to take over running Littlefinger's brothels and call himself "The Night King"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Fucks given this season: 0

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Hey remember when Jaime left kL to go north and it was beginning to snow? lol

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I’ve seen an “explanation” for this, which is that they cleared around the walls during the battle for the black water, but I don’t think it’d be a desert eight years later and also magically flat

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Sometimes more "southern" places, especially near the coast, can get a day or two of snow and you wouldn't know it 3 days later. As somebody in Texas, I didn't see that part as too strange.

E: the geography though, yeah, that's never been consistent even before now

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

kater posted:

Hey remember when Jaime left kL to go north and it was beginning to snow? lol

they killed winter last ep :v:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I actually really liked this episode, the overall plot was stupid as gently caress but the character beats felt more on point than the last 2 seasons.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I don't buy that they filmed any fake endings, even just character-talks-to-another-character on a prebuilt set fake shots.

esperterra posted:

This is probably the first episode where I thought dany was actually paranoid and that's something her crazy rear end has been missing since the house of the undying

It's the caffeine.

Goons Are Great posted:

Oh my loving God, what budget does this show run nowadays? Like 5 million per episode? How the gently caress did this get past them.

https://twitter.com/ellievhall/status/1125385230091718656

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Bottom Liner posted:

they killed winter last ep :v:

I haven't rewatched last night's episode but I seem to recall Tyrion mention something about food shortages and seeing the people of KL revolt against the King and "that wasn't even Winter" kind of implying that winter is still coming?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

How do you think Qyburn built all those ballistas :v:

heck he probably figured out they would be an easier target on an open field and built an excavator and a truck to flatten the ground around. you can't just see them in that shot cause they are parked behind the walls

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

From season 6. Guess they had to change it so they could have this wall talking scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

This show is stupid.

Also one of my favorite scenes ever was Ned and Robert having a picnic in season 1 so I must be boring or something.

It's also stupid that now I crave for a gritty fantasy show that has real repercussions and literal wading through poo poo, actual interesting plot that makes sense within the setting and no glorious send-offs. GOT kinda was that show. It hasn't been that for a while but holy poo poo that last episode was shite on so many levels.

You conveniently have another dragon die by magical ballista sniper, conveniently King's Landing geography has changed for what ever loving reason etc. etc. Also the pacing and passage of time is all off thanks to them rushing down the plot or whatever is left of it. It feels like such "every dumb film/tv show ever" by now, and I hate it. Sure it was never super cerebral but whatever.

Ugh.