Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

PantsBandit posted:

I just picked up Death Road to Canada due to an urge for a new roguelike.

I don't really want spoilers, as I'm looking forward to learning the game myself, but are there any particularly annoying pitfalls I should watch out for?

The biggest pitfall for me was it being too RNG heavy. So many drat times a run has thrown me into a situation that is literally impossible and it guaranteed death. Just lost 2 characters in my last area and now the car broken down and I'm stuck in a siege. RIP

Really fun though, especially co-op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

if you don't like gyro aiming please seek the therapy that you desperately need

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

romanowski posted:

No

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

romanowski posted:

Frontal lobotamies haven't been a valid therapeutic technique in almost a century.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
a century ago nobody complained about gyro controls, what a blissful time

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The handful of times I played Splatoon I did it without the motion controls

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I keep gyro on for Splatoon but I immediately disabled it for Breath of the Wild. Dunno what the brain diagnosis for that is but it's surely pathological

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Gyro aiming sucks and I can prove it: I wrote this post with tilt controls.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Pirate Captain posted:

I wrote mind without it so they annihilated one another

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

The Pirate Captain posted:

Like Michael J Fox in an earthquake

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Sean posted:

I've got a soft spot for Turok after playing it a ton as a kid in the 90s but I can't imagine it's aged well.

I’ve been going through it via the new Switch port and it holds up surprisingly well. It feels fast and fluid in 60fps and the weapons are still just as satisfying.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The one thing that doesn't really hold up in Turok is the enemies are as dumb as rocks. It's still fun to play

That and a few of the platforming sections

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Hey gang, I'm stopping by to say: Dragon's Dogma ows and I'm glad I'm playing it. Today I went on many advertures, used the pawn system * consumables to dominate a challenging monster, and delved deep into a cave to find another beast.

As vocations gain access to high level abilities the game starts feeling reaaaal good. I'm playing as a strider and the DMC-vibes are strong. A+++ game.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm tempted to get DD again because I was really safe and just played a Magic Archer most of the time.

Not nearly enough time spent climbing on monster asses.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Did they bump the draw distances in Turok?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Some gyro aiming--like bows in BotW--is Good

Other gyro aiming--like Apparatus shrines in BotW--is Bad

In conclusion, gyroscopes are a device of contrasts,

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s an HD remaster made by a studio that used the PC version as a base and made vast improvements. There’s YouTube videos that compare what they’ve done and it’s pretty interesting. Just wait for their version of Turok 2, it’s loving amazing. Surely it’s on the way to the Switch, can’t imagine it would take much effort. Forsaken better be on the way too.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ciaphas posted:

The shrine gyro puzzles are pretty bad and hard to do if you’re in handheld mode but they’re fun docked.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

romanowski posted:

HZD is overrated imo but Bloodborne is the greatest game ever made so it justifies the PS4's existence on its own

I would do unspeakable things for Bloodborne on Switch.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Cartoon Man posted:

Surely it’s on the way to the Switch, can’t imagine it would take much effort.

HAHAHAHA-*coughs*

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Blood borne on switch would be like playing a picture book.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

SeANMcBAY posted:

The shrine gyro puzzles are pretty bad and hard to do if you’re in handheld mode but they’re fun docked.

The solutions to them is fun. But even docked they're still not great.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I had a lot of trouble with the shrine apparatuses using a pro controller. I think handheld might have been easier but I only tried it once.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Thunder Bear posted:

I would do unspeakable things for Bloodborne on Switch.
aside from the "being developed by Sony" thing, that game ran at like 15 fps on the PS4 so I can't imagine how bad it would be on the Switch :negative:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Gyro aiming is the best thing to happen to actually being able to aim in a console game ever, but I still think it would be even better to have a controller with a little trackball in it like they did with the Apple Pippin.

Also Dreamcast controllers have the cord coming the correct side.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Gyro aiming is the best thing to happen to actually being able to aim in a console game ever, but I still think it would be even better to have a controller with a little trackball in it like they did with the Apple Pippin.

Also Dreamcast controllers have the cord coming the correct side.

Out the bottom with a little hook to make it so it looks like it's coming out the top?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Ciaphas posted:

this is the most honest and true thing that has ever been posted on line

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

CharlestheHammer posted:

Blood borne on switch would be like playing a picture book.

Might as well make it VR then, so it's a pop up book.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah, on PC there's an option to lower to the default draw distance of "can't see poo poo," it's probably in the Switch release as well. It's terrible.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Your Computer posted:

aside from the "being developed by Sony" thing, that game ran at like 15 fps on the PS4 so I can't imagine how bad it would be on the Switch :negative:

I tried playing it a month or two ago for the first time and I was shocked by how lovely it ran. I know From isn’t the best at optimizing performance but still.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

I tried playing it a month or two ago for the first time and I was shocked by how lovely it ran. I know From isn’t the best at optimizing performance but still.
yeah, it's such a shame too. This is after a lot of patching and it's still choppy enough to give me headaches, which means despite being one of the best games ever it's still by far my least played Soulsborne game :smith:

Cojawfee posted:

Might as well make it VR then, so it's a pop up book.
Bloodborne for the Nintendo Switch: But it's a VR Pop-Up Book CYOA

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I always feel like I'm from another dimension when Bloodborne gets mentioned. Bought it at launch, got the true ending, then never touched it again.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Have you all considered that maybe the reason some people don't like gyro is because they flat out can't use them? Gyro controls are incredibly unfriendly towards players with disabilities, which is really bad for accessibility. Especially in multiplayer games where they have such a huge advantage over players using stick controls, that people stuck with sticks might as well not bother playing.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Gyro aiming is the best thing to happen to actually being able to aim in a console game ever,

Wrong. Duck hunt light gun.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

Araxxor posted:

Have you all considered that maybe the reason some people don't like gyro is because they flat out can't use them? Gyro controls are incredibly unfriendly towards players with disabilities, which is really bad for accessibility. Especially in multiplayer games where they have such a huge advantage over players using stick controls, that people stuck with sticks might as well not bother playing.

Yeah, but that's not what's happening here.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I always feel like I'm from another dimension when Bloodborne gets mentioned. Bought it at launch, got the true ending, then never touched it again.

I powered through Dark Souls 3 and was like thats really meh, but everyone says bloodborne is amazing maybe that will rekindle my Demon Souls/Dark Souls 1 feeling and I ended up enjoying bloodborne so little I didnt buy sekiro and will probably never play it and am kinda done with Fromsoft.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Definitely not a one-size fits all solution in games—but they did learn their lesson from the Wii, save for some choice offenders (that puzzle, the expanded moveset for Odyssey)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Barudak posted:

I powered through Dark Souls 3 and was like thats really meh, but everyone says bloodborne is amazing maybe that will rekindle my Demon Souls/Dark Souls 1 feeling and I ended up enjoying bloodborne so little I didnt buy sekiro and will probably never play it and am kinda done with Fromsoft.

Sekiro is really good IMO...And I felt pretty similarly about dark souls 3 too. I'd give it a try when it goes on sale sometime.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I wonder how much of gyro aim being useful or not is purely down to the player perspective on what’s being controlled

Like I would have been fine with the Apparatus shrines if they weren’t so error prone, and I wonder how much of that is because there’s no center view or other way to reasonably correct for gyroscopic error?

Idk, interesting to think about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

i've got some good news for you about Sekiro