Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
It's too bad you can't store a library of appearances with every Fantasia granting you another slot, cause playing different races is another reason people make alts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Going back to SCH has really revitalized this game for me somehow. I've been playing almost exclusively RDM but after a long break I decided to keep leveling SCH (which was the first job I got to 50) and I'm real glad I did. I dunno what it is, but something about it just feels so much more satisfying to me than the other two healers, and jumping back into healing has been really fun. It's been cool to see the job's toolkit really come together with some of the HW and SB spells, too. I feel noticeably more capable and flexible at 60 than I did at 50 just by having Indomitability, Deployment Tactics, and Emergency Tactics, and I can't wait for Excogitation and Chain Stratagem.

Also I find it amusing that the healer with the cute fairy pet is the one with the most decisive, direct casting animations and the fewest twirly, sparkly ones. I enjoy how much the casting animations help you feel like a battlefield commander with all that decisive pointing at stuff.

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to level WAR now or wait until Shadowbringers and level GUN as my first tank.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 6, 2019

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

what if I want to play dressup with male and female characters

put your perv clothing on your retainers like god intended

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Argas posted:

It's too bad you can't store a library of appearances with every Fantasia granting you another slot, cause playing different races is another reason people make alts.

imagining a world where i can swap between my main and my alt like glam plates and i think id literally never need another video game again

CruzerZERO
May 8, 2007

Oh man, what a bummer

Argas posted:

That would be awesome if you could. I have this problem in other MMOs and even in CRPGs. I make a character, come up with a story in my head along with a build, play it for a few days and then the disconnect happens. I feel content with what I made, and I move on to a new character I came up with in my head while I was bored doing something else. Very rarely do I beat a game to completion since I far more enjoy playing them as random adventurers rather than a hero that saves/kills everything/everyone.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Hi, I finished WAR a couple weeks ago and got DRK to 60 last week and I'm here to say that the best way to deal with tanxiety is to just do it and remind yourself that if some dumb dps actively tries to take aggro then they can pick their dumb rear end off the ground themselves.

I'll also say that tanking got kind of boring once I got over my tanxiety. You spend the majority of your time hitting the same three buttons over and over for your dps combo, hit your abilities on cool down, and press a defensive cool down when you see a cast bar without a marker or aoe. Like, leveling tanks made me appreciate how fun memorizing and pulling off a full rotation on a dps class can be.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Poops Mcgoots posted:

tanking got kind of boring

:monocle:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

All I can say about tanking is that if you're remembering to use your AOE enmity abilities, you're ahead of the guy I had last night who would Shield Lob one mob and then focus on it, ignoring the other mobs trying to tear the rest of the party's faces off.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is PBC still where the more hardcore raiders go with DGKK being a bit more laid back?

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Nope. All three FC's are more or less the same when it comes to raiders. There really isn't a raiding scene in game right now, since every hardcore raider has already cleared the stuff they care about, and they are waiting for ShB.

faptown
Dec 6, 2008
Whenever I'm tanking and I have some tryhard dps that keeps flexing for agro I'll just toss them a shirk. That usually sorts out most tank agro issues pretty quickly

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
You could not live with your raid performance.

And where did that bring you?

Back to me.

I'm excited for raid for the first time in a few weeks. Hello World looks like some poo poo.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

Back to me.

I'm excited for raid for the first time in a few weeks. Hello World looks like some poo poo.

If everyone can just learn the 2-4 variations for their role for HW then final is easier than the door imo

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

CYBEReris posted:

I think one of the things that plays into tanxiety is the uncertainty of whether your gear will be sufficient, especially after the awkward halfway-point of an expansion where your tomestone gear starts to fall off, and at cap before you've farmed the literally 100 ilvls between starter and relevant gear.

This seems to be a problem in every holy trinity MMO. Tanking is the most stressful when you are new to the content, which is usually also when your gear is at its worst. Thankfully as other posters mentioned FF14 seems to get very linear and simple so 'leading' isn't that big a deal (unlike, say, leading a trip to Blackrock Depths in vanilla WoW or something). You just walk forward down the corridor to the next pack, and pull one pack at a time when you are new and learning.

My WAR is only 59 and I have a bit of tanxiety too but as long as you pay attention and pop cooldowns it usually ends up just fine. It's probably easiest if you are just honest with people. I typically don't bother saying 'I'm new' unless we wipe at a boss and I clearly have no clue what I'm doing.

I do still avoid the trials roulette though because I'll be damned if I can remember all of the primal mechanics.

Oh another thing you can do are squadron missions to learn some of the dungeons. Just be wary, because squadron healers are pretty much the opposite of honest healers and will just let you die sooner or later.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

best part of being a tank is instant queues so if you suck tanking and you get kicked you can just queue right back up and get in again instantly while the others sit around.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Woah, ok. Just saw that the latest expac has all the older versions attached to it. Looks like I'll be pre-ordering shadowbringers.

And hot drat, they're adding ffxi's trust system to the game? That's going to be fantastic! Since I'm restarting from scratch, there's going to be one hell of a grind of content for me to go through. So trusts will be just as much a boon as they were in ffxi!

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Keep in mind that if you preorder shadowbringers, you won't get access to the other expacs until it releases. Which honestly isn't too far off now, but don't worry about slamming through the content if that's your plan.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/chain_strategem/status/1125502311290343424?s=21

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Blast of Confetti posted:

is PBC still where the more hardcore raiders go with DGKK being a bit more laid back?

formed a static as a PBC member and everyone who joined was from DGKK

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

monk main, so yeah this sounds right

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
It does explain a lot. I just want to hit/be hit by things as DRK, someone else tell me where to go please :saddowns:

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Brainamp posted:

Keep in mind that if you preorder shadowbringers, you won't get access to the other expacs until it releases. Which honestly isn't too far off now, but don't worry about slamming through the content if that's your plan.

Maybe so, but heavensward is free right now as well. So I can pick up and get that far at least. I mean I doubt I'll even get there by then.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SonicRulez posted:

Back to me.

Like Grand Cross Omega (and to a lesser extent Forsaken 2), Hello World looks completely terrifying at first sight but really isn't *that* bad. Everybody only has a small number of variations they need to learn, and you'll know exactly which one you need to do as soon as the initial cast bar finishes. Just focus on yours and let the rest of your party focus on theirs.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Speaking of statics, if there are any midcore (~3 nights a week, 2-3 hours a night, clearing content during the patch it is released or shortly after the midcycle patch) statics looking for a DPS for 5.0 let me know. I'm free any night except Monday between 7-11 EST. I mained SAM this expansion and MNK for a while in 4.4 as well, but I haven't decided what I'll main in 5.0 yet. I'm somewhat flexible based on group needs.

Edit: on Primal

Fureil
Jul 7, 2012

So basically all tanks are some sort of bottom. Interesting.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Fureil posted:

they're all pain pigs

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fureil posted:

Their job is literally to stand there and take it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
every job in ffxiv is a top because every job is just a dps with a different colored job icon

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Countblanc posted:

every job in ffxiv is a top because every job is just a dps with a different colored job icon

If you think a ninja is a top I got a bridge to sell you.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Icon colors are hanky codes.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Sprite141 posted:

Woah, ok. Just saw that the latest expac has all the older versions attached to it. Looks like I'll be pre-ordering shadowbringers.

And hot drat, they're adding ffxi's trust system to the game? That's going to be fantastic! Since I'm restarting from scratch, there's going to be one hell of a grind of content for me to go through. So trusts will be just as much a boon as they were in ffxi!

Well, don't overhype yourself. They said it won't be identical to FFXI's (though roughly analogous), they just like reusing terminology and such like crystals, warriors of light, etc. because they're series staples.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Suzaku looks a ton like Trance Kuja up close.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I'm a Samurai and my safe word is Hissatsu-Banana.

Givin fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 7, 2019

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I'd swap MCH and DRG because there's no way DRG isn't a bottom, but other than that checks out.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I'd swap MCH and DRG because there's no way DRG isn't a bottom, but other than that checks out.

I disagree, DRGs entire thing is "jumps on top of you".

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Groggy nard posted:

Not to mention all of the heavy thrusting

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Groggy nard posted:

And they're also often the first on the floor. Hence they're versatile

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
So far the only thing Trusts seem to have in common with XI is the system's name. We have no reason to believe that Trusts can be used outside of dungeons (I guarantee they won't) and it seems like for starters they'll only be for ShB dungeons. I imagine they'll gradually add more NPCs and dungeons to the mix, but don't expect to be able to have your own FATE companion party at your beck and call. This is gonna be a real 'test the waters' type of content for the foreseeable future. Hopefully it'll make a reliable way to solo queue for ShB's dungeons.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Mordiceius posted:

And they're also often the first on the floor. Hence they're versatile

I take umbrage with this; I'm mainly DRG and the only reason I end up on the floor is against bosses I've never fought before who have rear end in a top hat knockback effects that fling me off cliffs :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Vadoc posted:

Roulette for the bonus first, and then highest level dungeon.

Roulette bonus XP scales to your current level, so doing the leveling roulette as the last dungeon you do for the day can be more efficient :eng101: