Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

J. Wesley Smith

No idea on the paint sellers thing. Anyone?

Guindon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Banning of lead house paint?

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

I dunno...I think this cartoon was from before that came out, but maybe...?

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

FrumpleOrz posted:

Hagar The Horrible

Us (2019)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (Oct. 12, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (Oct. 12, 1997)

Garfield Classic (Oct. 12, 1987)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

That's the last part of Space Is The Place! Thank you for reading! If you want to go back and pick apart the conspiracy, the story starts here. Next week there are six comics bridging this tale and the new Bad Machinery case, which starts on July 27th.

Maybe check that link if you want to see the awesome cover for the story. I dunno if the bridging stories will be included on comics, so I'll toss in links if they're not.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

working daze is like a journal to empty slavish corporation devotion, but this one in particular is so empty because even the subconscious of the in-universe obsessed with star wars guy doesn't understand the very basics of one of the cornerstone scenes of the trilogy that he idolises.
Of course he doesn't. Working Daze is about being a fan of something because it's something nerds are fans of. He only likes Star Wars because it's Star Wars, not because of anything in the actual movies.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Geech will not be appearing today, because GoComics just used https://home.assets.gocomics.com/ as the image's location.

Garf

Zip

Rip

Dick Dec. 14-15, 1931

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Jamal

This Strip Has Too Many Characters

Doodlebob

Baldo featuring The Rare Good GoComics Comment

Wallace

Curtis

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

FrumpleOrz posted:

Hagar The Horrible

Hagar the Horrible sometimes doing sweet stuff like this is just the best. :3:

Pastry of the Year posted:

Tina's Groove Classic (Oct. 12, 2007)

This and the previous strip praising Tina for being a strong woman seems cool at first glance...it's just that the art style makes Tina look so miserable that I can't tell if they're praising or mocking her.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Mildred's face in the last two panels is solid gold.

The moment when a Gen Z'er realizes that yes, his parents are just as much of a nerd as they are.

Man, Jamal is so good. :allears:

So the barber's not even paying the kid peanuts but is straight out blackmailing him. That's not ironic, that's loving evil.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Miss Lisa strikes me as Lawful Neutral or Chaotic Neutral, but I don't know why.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I don't think Tina is miserable in those strips, it's just her bangs that make her seem that way. I think Rina's addressed that before.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Vargo posted:

Jamal

Wallace

I don't know how both of these comics are so consistently good, but I'm glad they are.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Esplanade posted:

No idea on the paint sellers thing. Anyone?

What year was the cartoon?

Darthemed posted:

Dick Dec. 14-15, 1931

Hella legal. And is that a Eugene Debbs reference?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Good Listener posted:

I don't think Tina is miserable in those strips, it's just her bangs that make her seem that way. I think Rina's addressed that before.

Yep.

Rina Piccolo posted:

Over the years a handful of readers have written me to ask why Tina looks sad. She never smiles, they write, She looks despondent, or worried. What’s wrong, people say, Is she depressed?

No, Tina’s not depressed — no more than any other person. When I started the strip I didn’t know a lot about her, but I did know what I didn’t want her to be. I didn’t want my main character to be sappy and sickeningly sweet. I wanted to write her as a girl who had real-world traits who just happened to be nice in a normal, non-mushy way. I gave Tina a few of my own traits, and many others that I myself am not fortunate to have (for one, I’m way less tolerant than she is!)

Also over the years, I’ve analyzed the smile matter and made a discovery that may explain Tina’s “sad look”. It’s the character’s design — how she’s drawn — that I believe is causing Tina to look less cheery than what she may be feeling below the surface. What I hadn’t anticipated was the effect of how I designed Tina’s hair — in particular, her bangs. (This will be a good example of how a few lines can alter a character’s expression.) Look at these sketches:

The hair bangs are drawn downwards at the same angle that you’d use to draw a “worried eyebrow” expression. So when there is no clear smile drawn on her face, and I need her to be in a neutral expression, like in sketch #2, then the result is that she looks slightly worried, or, you might say, even sad.

I never anticipated this. The thing is, I don’t want Tina to be smiling in every situation — that would be sappy — and so many times she wears the expression you see in sketch #2, which gives her the look people are asking about.

It’s amazing what a couple of small ink lines can do. They’re capable of changing a reader’s perception about what a character is feeling. Now that puts a smile on my face. Isn’t this stuff great?
The thing that annoys me is that she never fixed it. She took the time to work out what the problem was and why people were misreading it and then did nothing. :argh:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Good Listener posted:

What I hadn’t anticipated was the effect of how I designed Tina’s hair — in particular, her bangs.

e: ah, beaten fair and square

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Adventures of Horny Boys

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

Closer to Home

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

A vaguely racist version of Cow Tools

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

I see Dustin's been reading the global warming thread again.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

What year was the cartoon?

Somewhere in the mid to late 50s. Thought it might have something to do with the quiz show scandals but I don't think any of them were sponsored by a paint company.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The shocking moment when child you realizes adults can be nerds too. :3:

Dammerung posted:

I don't know how both of these comics are so consistently good, but I'm glad they are.
Turns out you can go a long way when you don't have seething resentment for children and are willing to write parents as people.

Dustin visibly getting sick of his parent's poo poo, knows they won't detect his dripping sarcasm.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Nutti

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Retail

Edge of Environmentalism

This sounds like a job for Captain Planet!

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
King Aroo 1/5/53

Mopsy 11/14/41

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

what the gently caress arlo

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Angular Cyrus posted:

King Aroo 1/5/53

Haha

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Macanudo

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Smartphones: well known for clicking when you disconnect.

Credit where credit's due though: she's holding it pretty normally.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

But she died that night. The end.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I really like Breaking Cat News but this whole cat coffee thing leaves me nonplussed.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

Countblanc posted:

what the gently caress arlo

They're doing better than their friends. He took her for better and worse.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Not sure why, but this comic fills me with a sense of well-being.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Smartphones: well known for clicking when you disconnect.

Credit where credit's due though: she's holding it pretty normally.

Which probably means that he's become addicted to eating steaks in motels, and instead of shrugging his shoulders and running the scam on someone else, he's going to do something crazy that gets him arrested.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

EBB posted:

Not sure why, but this comic fills me with a sense of well-being.

They pair very well with pictures like these:http://www.citypages.com/news/downtown-minneapolis-in-the-1970s-photos-7838055

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Skippy (December 14, 1931)

Peanuts (May 8, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (November 28-29, 1935)

Out Our Way (July 28-30, 1932)

Toonerville Folks (May 31-June 2, 1915)

Dok's Feral Duck (June 15-16, 1912)

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy Not sure why it's uncolored.

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Frazz

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

EasyEW posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Oh goddammit I had forgotten this was going on.

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

You know what I hate most about this? The kid isn't autocorrecting, it's autosuggesting. Holbrook can't even get that right.

The Dinette Set isn't in its zone.

Working Daze would like to remind you that Sebulba is available.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix probably should have said the second part first.

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
I think Arthur will be so heartbroken from Estelle's rejection that he gets drunk and drives off a cliff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Why do these children look so hosed up.