Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I'm almost done with season 3 on my first watch of DS9. At the moment I think the best character is Nog. I'm rooting for him to get into Star Fleet Academy.

I'm pumped for Worf joining the show next season.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i like worf as a character but man, he just never stops loving up and pissing people off. i really wish at some point in ds9 they made him competent, but nope, nothing but failing missions and insulting people that try to help him

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Seeing Michael Dorn play someone competent in that excellent 50s sci fi writer episode was very jarring but appreciated.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

womb with a view posted:

Seeing Michael Dorn play someone competent in that excellent 50s sci fi writer episode was very jarring but appreciated.

i was also taken aback by what a handsome lad he was under all that forehead vagina

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

They blew a huge amount of money on the Baku village and all that location shooting.

Good thinking, I definitely cared the most about the lovely town in my sci-fi space epic.

Two things Star Trek movies are enormously bad at: budgeting and keeping the cast from running the show.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
DS9 Worf gets to do a lot of Klingon stuff and is generally on the giving end of rear end kickings far more often than in TNG but all of that is brought down somewhat by his persistent whining and arrogance, and it's downright cringy the way he treats Jadzia and later Ezri. But overall I'd say DS9 Worf is way more bad rear end considering he loving murders Gowron and becomes chancellor, only to give the title to Martok like a boss (spoilered for the benefit of the guy watching for the first time).

Most of his incompetent bullshit behavior is early on when it's clear he's adapting to being on a station instead of a squeaky clean and airtight starship and I kind of like the initial tension between him and Odo.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 13:27 on May 7, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The rest of the DS9 crew actually take Worf seriously unlike the guys back on the D, so it goes to his head and all his rear end in a top hat ways come pouring out.

Orv
May 4, 2011

skasion posted:

The rest of the DS9 crew actually take Worf seriously unlike the guys back on the D, so it goes to his head and all his rear end in a top hat ways come pouring out.

I think it's probably a pretty safe bet to say he was always an rear end in a top hat (see any Alexander episodes) and he just spent too much time on his rear end to talk much.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
No, I can’t possibly believe that the guy who owns a high chair made entirely of giant balls is a douchebag

Orv
May 4, 2011
It takes a lot of points off, I'll grant you.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I needed to look at the ball chair after reading the last few posts so here it is.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I wonder where that chair is now.

Other than in all our hearts.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I need to see the seat itself. Is any part of it upholstered or is it all hard shiny balls

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I cannot defeat him, I can only kill him is such a badass line and is spoken about Worf by a total badass so DS9 Worf is definitely a badass, even if he is bad and an rear end

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's a bar stool with stalks and balls stapled to it because art is a mistake.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

I need to see the seat itself. Is any part of it upholstered or is it all hard shiny balls

I think the shiny balls are themselves upholstered. Targ leather.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Orv posted:

It's a bar stool with stalks and balls stapled to it because art is a mistake.

This really should have been the Klingon aesthetic. Chancellor Gowron staring down from a ten-foot-high black stone sphere with hundreds of rusted steel balls jutting in all directions like the Throne of Swords (but balls)

They already use a big stone sphere instead of a sensible gavel for court proceedings, why not go nuts?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

They already use a big stone sphere instead of a sensible gavel for court proceedings, why not go nuts?

I love that the Moclans use a CUBE because they are not-klingons from planet Toxic Masculinity and the cube is a manlier shape than a sphere

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The Bloop posted:

I love that the Moclans use a CUBE because they are not-klingons from planet Toxic Masculinity and the cube is a manlier shape than a sphere

That was the best detail, no stone unturned in that show.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

This really should have been the Klingon aesthetic. Chancellor Gowron staring down from a ten-foot-high black stone sphere with hundreds of rusted steel balls jutting in all directions like the Throne of Swords (but balls)

That reminds me I wanted to posit that Gowron is the Klingon Sisko.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Glory to you... and your hammock.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I'd pay to see Gowron do the Sudden Sisko Laugh.

... ... ... HA!!!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Spacebump posted:

I'm almost done with season 3 on my first watch of DS9. At the moment I think the best character is Nog. I'm rooting for him to get into Star Fleet Academy.

I'm pumped for Worf joining the show next season.

Nog, and the Ferengi in DS9 are great in general. It's real jarring to go from the end of DS9 Ferengi back to TNG season 1 Ferengi.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

CBS is committing even further to Star Trek as a brand

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/star-trek-franchise-expands-dedicated-cbs-studios-group-1207664

quote:

The studio, which has multiple Trek TV series running or in the works, is launching a new business unit to expand the Star Trek brand beyond TV and streaming. The new group will be headed by CBS Studios executive Veronica Hart, who will now have the title of executive vp Star Trek global franchise management.

Hart will work with Star Trek franchise captain Alex Kurtzman, who's in charge of the creative side of the Trek TV galaxy.

The group will explore ways to grow the Star Trek fan community via additional branding opportunities, including podcasts, a revamped StarTrek.com, new digital spaces, consumer products (including video games) and live events.

I know this doesn't mean they care about DS9 any more than before, but it helps keep hope alive that some middle manager in this whole thing is a fan and figures out a way to sell upper management on a remaster.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's hard not to view that as a purely financial move rather than anyone anywhere caring about the IP. They own The Other Sci-Fi Series and Star Wars is printing money hand over fist so obviously it's time for sci-fi investments and lol Stargate.

I guess more importantly it's hard not to be sad that something that was so fundamental in my life - even if it was then too - is now just a bottom line.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Glory to you... and your hammock.

e: someone nerdier than I translate the Klingon in there will ya

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Star Trek franchise captain Alex "hey remember that guy in Transformers who had the age of consent laws laminated in his wallet" Kurtzman

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

None of it is going to mean poo poo unless Viacom and CBS make up and merge again. Studios can't survive without coordinated cross platform universes now.

Orv
May 4, 2011

womb with a view posted:

Star Trek franchise captain Alex "hey remember that guy in Transformers who had the age of consent laws laminated in his wallet" Kurtzman

I'm sorry what

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
They can monetize Star Trek even better if they want to, they just want to monetize it in an extremely specific way where I don't think they're competitive.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Maybe they'll make "Twitch Plays Star Trek," where you can donate bits to switch the scene to something else or alter the plot.

*Dr. Crusher slapping Wesley plays on a loop forever*

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeaaah, except it wouldn't be that, though. The "average" Trek fan isn't the loudest or most visible one.

Orv
May 4, 2011
If the internet taught me anything about CYOA television two weeks ago it's that Spock would end up eating poo poo forever.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Pick posted:

Yeaaah, except it wouldn't be that, though. The "average" Trek fan isn't the loudest or most visible one.

Thanks for the "yes and," Pick.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Orv posted:

If the internet taught me anything about CYOA television two weeks ago it's that Spock would end up eating poo poo forever.

A Ship Full of Spocks

When the Enterprise crashes into the Guardian of Forever and leaves all the human crew members severely injured, it's up to Spocks from multiple timelines to repair the Enterprise, get it spaceworthy, and steer it back to the nearest starbase, safe from the Mirror Spocks and fully intact

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The ST brand has been horribly mismanaged so if we can get some drat games or something for once this century I will take it

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Procedurally generated 3D animated Trek with scripts written by a neural net trained on all existing Star Trek scripts

Orv
May 4, 2011

galenanorth posted:

A Ship Full of Spocks

When the Enterprise crashes into the Guardian of Forever and leaves all the human crew members severely injured, it's up to Spocks from multiple timelines to repair the Enterprise, get it spaceworthy, and steer it back to the nearest starbase, safe from the Mirror Spocks and fully intact

Yes, please.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pakled posted:

Procedurally generated 3D animated Trek with scripts written by a neural net trained on all existing Star Trek scripts

Subspace Particles!
Gigaquad Particles!
Wormhole Particles!
Polarity Particles!
Reverse Polarity Particles!
Telepathy Particles!
Spock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost