Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Speaking of the multiverse, the latest episode of Cloak & Dagger has a bunch of different alternate realities that Tandy goes through (albeit they're hallucinations, but still...)

And it seems like for the big bad this season they've decided to basically merge D'Spayre and Mr. Negative into a single character, which I think is a good way to get around both the issue that one is way too cosmic/mystical and the other's rights are tied up in Spider-Man.

This episode ends on a real bummer, though I suppose that's to be expected considering the subject matter. Poor Tandy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think Marvel stuff can use whatever they want from Spider-Man now.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

TwoPair posted:

Wait wait wait, since when do we have the multiverse?

Endgame spoiler.

Endgame showed it has always been here, and even explained how it works

badjohny fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 3, 2019

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

badjohny posted:

Endgame showed it has always been here, and even explained how it works

Maybe don't post this in the TV show thread unmarked.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Skwirl posted:

I think Marvel stuff can use whatever they want from Spider-Man now.

I don't know if that was the case when they were writing this season, though.

Edit: Also why aren't people talking about Cloak & Dagger more?

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 3, 2019

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Isn't the Spider-Man deal temporary? I could have sworn it was only for a limited time.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I think it is, but Sony would have to be insane to not renew the deal.

So they probably won't.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
not renewing the deal right when spideys about to be on the loving avengers seems like an idea too dumb for even sony to contemplate, but i have seen those emails, so...

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

This is the same company that is seriously trying in earnest to spend over a billion dollars on their own Spider-Man connected universe of films that we all know will in no way connect with the MCU despite the fact that they have this deal still in play. This is the same company that seriously worked on an Aunt May movie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nobody will be surprised when they take Spider-man back.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Sony is too busy building the Horny Cinematic Universe to deal with Spider-man

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ToastyPotato posted:

This is the same company that is seriously trying in earnest to spend over a billion dollars on their own Spider-Man connected universe of films that we all know will in no way connect with the MCU despite the fact that they have this deal still in play. This is the same company that seriously worked on an Aunt May movie.

Hey now, Into The Spider-Verse worked out...

although that may be the exception that proved the rule.

But since they're apparently planning a Spider-Verse TV series, presumably there's been some additional behind the scenes wrangling to extend the deal.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I wouldn't even consider Spider-verse as part of their cinematic universe. Venom, and the upcoming Black Cat/Silver Sable movies are though, as per their own press statements. And whatever else they pull out of their asses that won't even have Spider-Man in it. I mean Tom Holland himself kind of spilled the beans that he is only contracted for 1 additional film after Far from Home and that it was a third solo film. Obviously they could bring him in for more after it's over, or they can lean into the Spider-verse stuff harder and cast their own Spidey for their own CU. But for now, his contract is almost up.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Gonna laugh when Disney just buys Sony pictures .

No wait, what's the opposite emotion where Disney has a larger monopoly over the movie industry....

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Dexo posted:

Gonna laugh when Disney just buys Sony pictures .

No wait, what's the opposite emotion where Disney has a larger monopoly over the movie industry....

The Marvel assets Sony owns are non-transferrable, so Disney wouldn't need to buy Sony to get them back, they would just need Sony Pictures to die or be bought by anyone else. Fox was bought because it had a ton of assets besides just the Marvel stuff. Especially distribution assets overseas. I could see Sony Pictures and TV getting chopped up in the future though. They have to be making less money than Fox was when they tapped out at this point.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I remember reading that Sony is such a massive company, its basically a dystopian settings mega corp, where they make everything. The film division dying or being sold off would not effect them in anyway.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

ToastyPotato posted:

I mean it is almost guaranteed that this will be the Marvel TV explanation going forward. And Marvel Studios will gladly accept it since they have a clear out when people bring up the shows crossing over with the movies now.

The shows did cross over with the movies, in the only way that matters.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I remember reading that Sony is such a massive company, its basically a dystopian settings mega corp, where they make everything. The film division dying or being sold off would not effect them in anyway.
Not really. Sony essentially has three major offerings: electronics, entertainment (movies, music, video games), and services (finance and insurance). They're not really any broader than, say, Amazon. You're probably thinking of Samsung who makes everything from microchips to cargo ships, and also has entertainment and services divisions.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
A Korean version of Mr. Robot would make a lot of sense imo

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Endless Mike posted:

Not really. Sony essentially has three major offerings: electronics, entertainment (movies, music, video games), and services (finance and insurance). They're not really any broader than, say, Amazon. You're probably thinking of Samsung who makes everything from microchips to cargo ships, and also has entertainment and services divisions.

You're probably right. I do know that Sony's 3 divisions all hate each other and its the result of some very complex Japanese Business Culture things.

Will Doom Patrol be on Netflix outside the US like Titans?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

You're probably right. I do know that Sony's 3 divisions all hate each other and its the result of some very complex Japanese Business Culture things.

Will Doom Patrol be on Netflix outside the US like Titans?

I have Crave, a Canadian streaming service that picks up a lot of region specific cable stuff. It offers HBO, Showtime,plus their own in house stuff. They show Doom Patrol, as does Canada's sci-fi channel, Space.

If you live in like, Australia or Iceland or something, I don't know what their coverage is like.

I'm really enjoying it so far.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 5, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

All I want is more Doom Patrol. It's all I've ever wanted. I even bought the okay JLA vs. The Fatal Five because Diane Guerrero voices Jessica Cruz. (And also in an attempt to support something other than DCAU's kinda joyless stuff.)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I've always wondered if Greg Berlanti has a bunch of ideas that were wadded up and tossed into the trash for Legends of Tomorrow because it shows on a mainstream network.

My suspicion is that he then picks up this trash can, brings it into the Doom Patrol writers room, un-wads each idea, then tells the writers 'Ok let's work this in' and that's how we get butts attacking Darren Jones.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Binary Badger posted:

I've always wondered if Greg Berlanti has a bunch of ideas that were wadded up and tossed into the trash for Legends of Tomorrow because it shows on a mainstream network.

My suspicion is that he then picks up this trash can, brings it into the Doom Patrol writers room, un-wads each idea, then tells the writers 'Ok let's work this in' and that's how we get butts attacking Darren Jones.

I dunno, this week Legends had a Hell-nipple crawling around. Granted it was a man's nipple but that still seems like something that wouldn't make it in if your theory were applicable.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I kinda want to see a legends/Doom Patrol crossover to be honest.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
As i said, I haven't seen DP, but that looked like Legion to me.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1...son-3-teaser%2F

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I forgot they were even working on that lol

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I can't think of anything that squandered more good will than the Netflix shows. People were so jazzed for the first seasons of...well MOST of them, but straight downhill from there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Did they cancel Punisher yet?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mulva posted:

I can't think of anything that squandered more good will than the Netflix shows. People were so jazzed for the first seasons of...well MOST of them, but straight downhill from there.

Yep. I know I am absolutely not interested in any way at this point.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Remember when the future was super bright and Charlie Cox was talking about how he was hoping for Daredevil in the Marvel flicks and everything? Good times.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

Remember when the future was super bright and Charlie Cox was talking about how he was hoping for Daredevil in the Marvel flicks and everything? Good times.

No, all of that must have been erased in the snap.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Rhyno posted:

A while ago.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Yes. Jessica Jones was the only show that was cancelled before its season premiered, the others were all cancelled like a week or 2 after their seasons dropped.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lame.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm still holding out hope that the cancellation eave happened early enough that they'll use this to give some closure to a few other things, but it's probably just going to be Hellcat being an awful person and some uninspired villain

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Mulva posted:

Rip Netflixverse, killed by how incredibly lame The Hand were.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

CW ordered Batwoman and the Riverdale spinoff to series.
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1125916986733662211

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

mycot posted:

Rip Netflixverse, killed by how incredibly lame The Hand were.

The Hand and the mystery of the giant hole in New York :laugh: