Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Esplanade posted:

J. Wesley Smith

No idea on the paint sellers thing. Anyone?

Might be a stretch, but I thought he was laughing because the dire things that the fortune teller is predicting are all taken from classic films: Wizard of Oz, The Magnificent Ambersons, Angel, Moulin Rouge (the original one) maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
"Dog and monkeys flying through the sky in machines" is definitely about the space programs, the monkeys in Oz had wings, not machines and there were no winged dogs (Laika).

The first state to ban lead paint in USA was Baltimore in 1951; I think this is the scandal, it was common knowledge since 1920s but it took forever to ban it presumably because of industry lobbying.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Nenonen posted:

"Dog and monkeys flying through the sky in machines" is definitely about the space programs, the monkeys in Oz had wings, not machines and there were no winged dogs (Laika).

The first state to ban lead paint in USA was Baltimore in 1951; I think this is the scandal, it was common knowledge since 1920s but it took forever to ban it presumably because of industry lobbying.

Fair point. I was thinking of Toto in the basket on the bicycle, but the space program does make sense. Given the light tone of the cartoon, it seems out of tune to have him laughing at the lead paint thing, but maybe that's it nonetheless.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Good Listener posted:

I don't think Tina is miserable in those strips, it's just her bangs that make her seem that way. I think Rina's addressed that before.

Tiggum posted:

The thing that annoys me is that she never fixed it. She took the time to work out what the problem was and why people were misreading it and then did nothing. :argh:

Oh hey, thanks for the explanation! I guess she really must have liked the design on Tina's bangs to not do anything about it to stop the confusion.

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

Holbrook really has no self-awareness with his bullshit. These idiots went and adopted Mars without asking if it even wanted to. They disciplined Mars for trying to launch rocks to warn Earthlings to stay the gently caress away. They actually succeeded in colonizing Mars. How is any of that recognizing Mars as an "empowered individual with autonomy and free will"?

homeless guy posted:

I think Arthur will be so heartbroken from Estelle's rejection that he gets drunk and drives off a cliff

Arthur looked spitting mad in the last strip, so he's probably choking on some food right now or having a heart attack.

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

computer angel posted:

Why do these children look so hosed up.

stay tuned in 2 weeks Rex Morgan will tell us what disease Marti has

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If you told me that Holbrook will have Mars fire a rock at a villians of some sort I wouldn't be surprised.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

TofuDiva posted:

Given the light tone of the cartoon, it seems out of tune to have him laughing at the lead paint thing, but maybe that's it nonetheless.

From what I can see from the other strips, the whole point is that guy is a bit of an idiot

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze would like to remind you that Sebulba is available.

Well, he does try to beat up Jar Jar Binks, which is arguably heroic...

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

computer angel posted:

Why do these children look so hosed up.

I honestly never want to hear anyone talk poo poo about the old-man faces in Jamal when Rex Morgan is being posted. At least Jamal's is a conscious decision with reasoning.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

J. Wesley Smith

Doing his part.

Guindon

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Corto Maltese, we start our new adventure, Under the Midnight Sun, where: So this would probably put it before Celtic Tales, or Rasputin takes after his namesake in more ways than just the beard, or Corto confesses his true feelings

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

You have the pictures though. I'd seen this explanation before but without the pictures I'd never realized that the references to Tina's bangs were actually references to what I thought were her eyebrows.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

I love the first half here. Office flirting gone horribly wrong for half a dozen independently arising reasons.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Alley Oop

Blondie

Diamond Lil

Fred Basset

Frog Applause

The Grizzwells

Herb and Jamaal

Judge Parker

Reply All

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Yvonmukluk posted:

Maybe check that link if you want to see the awesome cover for the story. I dunno if the bridging stories will be included on comics, so I'll toss in links if they're not.
I did think there'd be more on that end bit with Jordan:

"black tears"?

Also, he's making the same cry as the alien:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (Oct. 13, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (Oct. 13, 1997)

Garfield Classic (Oct. 13, 1987)

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

TofuDiva posted:

Fair point. I was thinking of Toto in the basket on the bicycle, but the space program does make sense. Given the light tone of the cartoon, it seems out of tune to have him laughing at the lead paint thing, but maybe that's it nonetheless.

Revlon, maker of the red fingernail paint, was the major sponsor of the $64,000 Question game show. It turned out the game show was rigged, which was a national scandal.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

spookygonk posted:

I did think there'd be more on that end bit with Jordan:

"black tears"?

Also, he's making the same cry as the alien:

In the Star Trek episode that the alien shape references, those aliens are secretly taking over humanity by burrowing into powerful people's bodies and puppeting them from the spinal cord and the death of the queen parasite causes all the others bound to it to conveniently wither and die, ending the threat.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Ghostlight posted:

In the Star Trek episode that the alien shape references, those aliens are secretly taking over humanity by burrowing into powerful people's bodies and puppeting them from the spinal cord and the death of the queen parasite causes all the others bound to it to conveniently wither and die, ending the threat.

Just like vampires!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Or putting too much air in a balloon!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Odonata posted:

Revlon, maker of the red fingernail paint, was the major sponsor of the $64,000 Question game show. It turned out the game show was rigged, which was a national scandal.

That’s gotta be it, well done! I completely forgot about that!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace the Brave

Curtis is apparently not done with this?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Spud is my spirit animal.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Dred Clampett would be a pretty good username

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Beatrix, you're the best!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Geech

Garf

Zip

Rip

Dick 16-17, 1931

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

me reading comics

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pastry of the Year posted:

Okay, I didn't look too closely at the salesman at first. That's a good one.

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Retail

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Another fact about good ol' Liston is that he held the world record for cutting off a man's leg, about 30 seconds if I recall. Of course, he also managed to castrate the boy as well.

Toastline
Dec 7, 2005
Chain Chomp
I recently saw someone who was the perfect image of a Close to Home character in real life. It was frankly terrifying. He even had glasses! I wish I could have taken a picture, but that would surely have been rude. You'll have to trust me that it was seriously uncanny.

Toastline fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 7, 2019

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Twenty three year olds, well known for having checkbooks

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

Toastline posted:

I recently saw someone who was the perfect image of a Close to Home character in real life. It was frankly terrifying. He even had glasses! I wish I could have taken a picture, but that would surely have been rude. You'll have to trust me that it was seriously uncanny.

I can't even imagine how that must have looked. The overbite, the frumpy build, the glasses, the utter lack of a chin.

Speaking of real life Closer to Home, I am putting this comic under spoilers because I want you to guess, picture it in your mind, How would this comic depict a bust of Elvis?

to make matters worse, that Elvis comic is the first time my phone's ever detected a face in these comics:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

EasyEW posted:

Dok's Feral Duck (June 15-16, 1912)

Can you embiggen these? I hate to think anyone missed Cop Killer Duck here because of the tiny images. Also please stop posting 9CL.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Macanudo

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

I speak cat, and Libby's saying: "That's too bad. It's time to feed me now though."

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Well I didn't expect that.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Papagoras is the only real man in the A3G universe.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Pastry of the Year posted:

This made me realize that I’d totally be down for a slice of life comic strip about an adult Schroeder who’s now just a piano salesman despite being an insanely talented child prodigy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Johnny Walker posted:

Well I didn't expect that.

In tomorrow's strip, the Morgan kid will blab to the kid's mom who will file suit against Rex Morgan for violating patient confidentiality and HIPAA. Rex Morgan will have to surrender his bass boat.