Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

What's generally accepted to be the "best" Worms game on Android? The reviews are all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

What happened to Kairosoft? Their games used to be fun cheap little things and now I'm seeing Game Dev Story for $12 on the Switch eshop

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Len posted:

What happened to Kairosoft? Their games used to be fun cheap little things and now I'm seeing Game Dev Story for $12 on the Switch eshop

They wanted more money. Most of their new games are shallow version of their old games with lots of gacha f2p nonsense thrown in.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Nintendo Tax means everything's more expensive on the Switch :shrug:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

explosivo posted:

Nintendo Tax means everything's more expensive on the Switch :shrug:

Like how Binding of Isaac is a $40 game for reasons?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Len posted:

Like how Binding of Isaac is a $40 game for reasons?

Seriously? Jesus.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Skwirl posted:

Seriously? Jesus.

Yeah I was going to snag it as something light to get into and uh nope

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Speaking of Binding of Isaac, what's everyone's favourite roguelike on Android? Don't mind an upfront cost.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Flayer posted:

Speaking of Binding of Isaac, what's everyone's favourite roguelike on Android? Don't mind an upfront cost.

Buriedbornes. Think turn based Dark Souls with meta progression and really deep itemization and character building. Not a roguelike in the sense of "moving around a map and exploring a dungeon" though.

Also Soul Knight. Basically Enter the Gungeon, also great as hell.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 5, 2019

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Buriedbornes looks amazing, thanks.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Flayer posted:

Buriedbornes looks amazing, thanks.

It's a little obtuse and engrish, but you'll pick it up over time, and reddit has some great write ups about mechanics and systems. I believe if you make any purchase it kills ads forever iirc

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 5, 2019

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

It's a little obtuse and engrish, but you'll pick it up over time, and reddit has some great write ups about mechanics and systems. I believe if you make any purchase it kills ads forever iirc

Buriedbornes is Engrish in the sense that some of it is straight up Japanese. It's interesting though.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I wish I could get into Buriedbornes, but the onboarding is just a bit too rough for me for a mobile game. Maybe I should get back into Pixel Dungeon; that game was a good blend of turn-based roguelike + loads up fast.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Montalvo posted:

I wish I could get into Buriedbornes, but the onboarding is just a bit too rough for me for a mobile game. Maybe I should get back into Pixel Dungeon; that game was a good blend of turn-based roguelike + loads up fast.

Shattered Pixel Dungeon is terrific, the guy doing is still doing upgrades and balancing patches as well as adding tons of features.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

Montalvo posted:

I just started with Buriedbornes. I find it pretty fun, but it's definitely a game where you die for science and then roll again with what you learned.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Scipiotik posted:

Shattered Pixel Dungeon is terrific, the guy doing is still doing upgrades and balancing patches as well as adding tons of features.

Seconding Shattered Pixel Dungeon, it's good.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Buriedbornes. Think turn based Dark Souls with meta progression and really deep itemization and character building. Not a roguelike in the sense of "moving around a map and exploring a dungeon" though.

Also Soul Knight. Basically Enter the Gungeon, also great as hell.

Also couldn't get into Buriedbones. However Soul Knight is pretty fun. Thanks for the recommendations!

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm going to give Shattered Pixel Dungeon a whirl. Soul Knight looks good too but it isn't turn based, right?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Is there a derivitive of Pixel Dungeon that doesn't have hunger? That game mechanic has never appealed to me.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Is anyone still making those games where you launch something out of a cannon or whatever and see how far you can get?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

me your dad posted:

Is anyone still making those games where you launch something out of a cannon or whatever and see how far you can get?

All with different variations of how to take your money.

Burrito Bison is fun enough

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks - I'll give it a shot.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Kheldarn posted:

Is there a derivitive of Pixel Dungeon that doesn't have hunger? That game mechanic has never appealed to me.

Don't believe so. The hunger in that game especially is really necessary to maintain the balance imo.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

me your dad posted:

Thanks - I'll give it a shot.

Burrito Bison is definitely a very good one of those games. Similarly, are there any good Alto's games that are not Alto's games? I loved Sky Safari back in the day but Alto's Odyssey is just so goddamn bland and boring to me.

Also, I recently discovered Night of the Full Moon and picked up the big pack with all the characters right away. I liked - but didn't love - Slay the Spire, but something about this just works for me. Possibly it's because I can have it on my phone, but I also find the art style way more impressive and better to look at.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Len posted:

All with different variations of how to take your money.

Burrito Bison is fun enough

I'll second this, Burrito Bison I remember as being really decent in a sea of Nanaca Crash clones.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Kheldarn posted:

If you search for Pixel Dungeon on the store there are a ton of variants, so one of them might remove hinger.

One of them was called easy pixel dungeon or something, but last time I tried it, it started interrupting me mid game with full screen ads, trying to run in the background so it could launch popups and constantly sending me weird notifications.

This was a few years ago though, so I don't think android even allows stuff like that on the store any more.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

My girlfriend installed "Words With Friends 2" and insisted I play it with her. That game, of course, is an all-out assault on the player of absolutely everything that is terrible about mobile gaming.

Does anyone have any alternative recommendations I can play with her? It doesn't have to be scrabble-like specifically, just something turn-based I can bounce into while on the can at work to throw a "your move!" at her.

Edit: Wordfeud was the answer. Thanks!!

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 13:45 on May 8, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ali Aces posted:

My girlfriend installed "Words With Friends 2" and insisted I play it with her. That game, of course, is an all-out assault on the player of absolutely everything that is terrible about mobile gaming.

Does anyone have any alternative recommendations I can play with her? It doesn't have to be scrabble-like specifically, just something turn-based I can bounce into while on the can at work to throw a "your move!" at her.

Isn't Wordfeud goon made?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Isn't Wordfeud goon made?

It is, unless the original developer sold the company or something. If it's still the same app from years ago it was completely bullshit-free Scrabble action. I used to play it with my dad until that one game where I lucked into a bingo for like 160 points :lol:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Just wanted to say that I've been playing Stardew Valley on my S8 for the past few days and I love it just as much as the (unmodded) PC version. And the touch controls are really pretty well done, with a bunch of options.

I don't know if this was an update to the game in generwl, but I VERY much appreciate not having to switch between pickaxe and regular axe, when clicking on stone vs wood, it just auto selects and goes from there.

I've only just started in the mines, but so far, auto attack/defend is working against the slimes.

gently caress, I love this game so much, and it's amazing and surreal that I can play this game, full featured, on my phone. Wow.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Just wanted to say that I've been playing Stardew Valley on my S8 for the past few days and I love it just as much as the (unmodded) PC version. And the touch controls are really pretty well done, with a bunch of options.

Hmm, I was staying away from this because I heard some not so great things about the touch controls when it first came out. The thought of having this game on the go is kind of enticing but I didn't want to buy it and have it control so poorly I didn't want to play it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

explosivo posted:

Hmm, I was staying away from this because I heard some not so great things about the touch controls when it first came out. The thought of having this game on the go is kind of enticing but I didn't want to buy it and have it control so poorly I didn't want to play it.

I don't know how forgiving I am compared to you, but I have very few issues with it.

A) sometimes, instead of selecting a tool from the hotbar, I end up causing my character to move. (edit: I think there's an option to help with this)

2) moving a certain amount of something from a stack is tricky and I haven't quite figured it out yet

D) an issue I had originally was that I was tapping on trees to fully cut them down, until I realized I could hold down to continually cut. But then I noticed that my thumb or finger was always in the way. But THEN I figured out that once the cutting has started, you can slide your finger away from the tree, and your character doesn't lose focus or move away from it.

So, it's weird, but it absolutely works. If you enjoy SV, pick this up.

Edit 2: I think this game also supports a gamepad, so if you have an 8bitdo, you're probably 100% fine.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 8, 2019

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug
Sir Questionnaire is a fun basic roguelike created by a single Norwegian dude. He's created several other fun games, and is super active with his fans on Discord. Worth checking out.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Here's a rundown for SV for mobile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiAig9Nj4MA

His voice drives me nuts, but he covers a lot, mechanically.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Here's a rundown for SV for mobile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiAig9Nj4MA

His voice drives me nuts, but he covers a lot, mechanically.

Oh come on, DF is fantastic! He's actually really funny and does a lot of fun game-breaking of Stardew. I think his voice is part of his charm.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

New Leaf posted:

Oh come on, DF is fantastic! He's actually really funny and does a lot of fun game-breaking of Stardew. I think his voice is part of his charm.

Oh, I've followed many of his videos back in the day when I was first getting into SV, I guess I did get used to it, but man, going back... ugh.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Does anyone have any good suggestions for wired controllers that would work well with a Pixel 2 XL (or even just a generic android phone for that matter)?

I got a DS4 controller hooked up via bluetooth but I was getting extreme latency after using it for like 30 seconds. I've tried using a Bluetooth connect app to help but I can't quite get it to work so I'm in the market for a wired one.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
Man you can make some stupid builds in Buriedbornes. I've currently got a ridiculous Dragoon running that has a weapon with Diamond Dust that adds cooldown on crit to all the enemies skills and another piece of equipment with One Shot Aim that makes every hit crit.

1. First, I use Imperial Wrath to make the rest of my skills trigger Reflect when used.
  2. Then, Dragon Fang to give Reflect equal to 35% of my HP.
  3. Then 2 utility skills that don't end my turn, mostly just to trigger Reflect.
  4. Finally, finish with a 0 turn cooldown Attack.
  5. Repeat Attack until all my other cooldowns are ready again.

Before I picked up One Shot Aim, it did a bit more damage in one turn than I have HP. It increases all the enemy's cooldowns by 4 or 5 turns depending on if the Attack hits. Reflect always hits and doesn't care about Avoid, Parry or the enemy's Reflect. Even the enemies that live through the first turn don't ever get to attack most of the time. Hilariously broken.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

ZombieApostate posted:

Man you can make some stupid builds in Buriedbornes. I've currently got a ridiculous Dragoon running that has a weapon with Diamond Dust that adds cooldown on crit to all the enemies skills and another piece of equipment with One Shot Aim that makes every hit crit.

1. First, I use Imperial Wrath to make the rest of my skills trigger Reflect when used.
  2. Then, Dragon Fang to give Reflect equal to 35% of my HP.
  3. Then 2 utility skills that don't end my turn, mostly just to trigger Reflect.
  4. Finally, finish with a 0 turn cooldown Attack.
  5. Repeat Attack until all my other cooldowns are ready again.

Before I picked up One Shot Aim, it did a bit more damage in one turn than I have HP. It increases all the enemy's cooldowns by 4 or 5 turns depending on if the Attack hits. Reflect always hits and doesn't care about Avoid, Parry or the enemy's Reflect. Even the enemies that live through the first turn don't ever get to attack most of the time. Hilariously broken.

Yup, that's why I keep coming back. But then you run into something that just evaporates you. It's the circle of life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

I don't know if this was an update to the game in generwl, but I VERY much appreciate not having to switch between pickaxe and regular axe, when clicking on stone vs wood, it just auto selects and goes from there.

I've only just started in the mines, but so far, auto attack/defend is working against the slimes.

gently caress, I love this game so much, and it's amazing and surreal that I can play this game, full featured, on my phone. Wow.

Is that a standard s8 or the + ?
I got a standard one and was afraid the icons might be too tiny