Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

bleh, I guess some trade-offs are expected but I was hoping it was limited to just the body and soc

It's not an enormous trade-off. "High quality" in Google photos is still very good, especially when the majority of us are not doing prints of our phone photos and instead sharing them on social media or via a message, etc. Here's a decent rundown: https://www.phonearena.com/news/Google-Photos-High-quality-vs-Original-Whats-the-difference-and-should-you-care_id93938

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

wtf is with google making the back gesture conflict with the existing gesture to open a sidebar. Jesus, they're so obsessed with copying Apple without pausing to think about how the hell it will work

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's not an enormous trade-off. "High quality" in Google photos is still very good, especially when the majority of us are not doing prints of our phone photos and instead sharing them on social media or via a message, etc. Here's a decent rundown: https://www.phonearena.com/news/Google-Photos-High-quality-vs-Original-Whats-the-difference-and-should-you-care_id93938

I do my videos in 4k though

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Well now that it’s official that the 3a and regular 3 are coming to T-Mobile I guess I need to decide if wireless charging and front-facing speakers are worth the little extra per month the JOD price will come out to.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/05/07/pixel-3a-everything-new-different-or-removed-compared-to-the-pixel-3-and-3-xl/

Here's some changes from the 3as to the normal 3s.

New:
- Google added the headphone jack back to the 3a/3a XL because they believe that people who can't afford $600+ phones also can't afford Bluetooth headphones. So the Pixel 4 most likely will not have a headphone jack.

(EDIT: I had to quote this because that just seems dense as gently caress but...

quote:

I spoke to Google about the decision to add the jack, and it was strictly about market demographics: Google sees these phones as targeting buyers who are less likely to have joined the Bluetooth headphone revolution just yet, and so they felt it was important to include on a mid-tier handset.
)

- Time Lapse mode is new for Pixel devices and will be on all Pixels (1, 2, and 3) via OTA later but it debuts on the Pixel 3as first. You can do 5x, 10x, 30x, or 120x the original speed at 30 FPS.

Different than Pixel 3:
- Processor is slower and not as capable as the Pixel 3's.The GPU is also slower. If you play Fortnite, for example, it'll run at 20 FPS max. Touch latency and scrolling isn't very smooth either.

- Display is not Gorilla Glass and has a lower resolution. It uses Dragontrail Glass.

- The body is basically plastic.

- The speakers are not front-facing.

- Both of the 3as only have 4GB of RAM and 64GB of storage. No 128GB.

Removed:
- Pixel Visual Core
- Wireless Charging
- Unlimited original Google Photo uploads
- Wide Angle Selfie Camera
- No longer waterproof (no IP rating)
- No headphones in box.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Also available at best buy with $100 giftcard: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/google-pixel-3a-with-64gb-memory-cell-phone-unlocked-just-black/6347785.p?skuId=6347785

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

I already own an SD821 though.

Also wtf LTT said it's a plastic body.
A $400 plastic phone.

I wish Pixel 3 was plastic. Glass is the dumbest thing.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

ThermoPhysical posted:

Touch latency and scrolling isn't very smooth either.

Welp.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

It looks like a great midrange phone for the price, that you know will work on ALL US Carriers which is something that can't be said for a lot of other China midrange devices.

That and the guaranteed 3 years of updates, a great camera, and an OLED screen.

Being Plastic is something I had been hoping that would make a return as heck the Nokia Lumia's were all awesome in their colors and didn't feel particularly cheap being made out of plastic all that time.

What the heck is Dragontrail glass though? Didn't know anyone else was entering the phone glass market since Gorilla Glass has been the go to since what feels like forever now.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Removed:
- Pixel Visual Core
- Wireless Charging
- No headphones in box.

:negative:

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Didn’t realize the visual core was gone too. Welp, guess I know which model I’m ordering tomorrow.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 7, 2019

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Welcome back nexus phones, people who wanted all these compromises missed you!

EdEddnEddy posted:

What the heck is Dragontrail glass though? Didn't know anyone else was entering the phone glass market since Gorilla Glass has been the go to since what feels like forever now.

The Galaxy Nexus had it. It's fine.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 7, 2019

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Beta 3 going OTA now. 354MB for Pixel 3.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 7, 2019

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
If the processor we're better I'd be fine with all the other missing crap

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

ThermoPhysical posted:

Removed:
- Pixel Visual Core
- Wireless Charging
- No headphones in box.

Look, a Nexus 5 in 2019

(Even the Nexus 5 had wireless charging though)

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

- Display is not Gorilla Glass and has a lower resolution. It uses Dragontrail Glass.

Removed:
- Pixel Visual Core
- Wireless Charging
- No headphones in box.

This would all be fine..... if the phone were more affordable. Yeah, you'll get a great camera, but if you're already trying to save money there are a ton of much better choices already out there. This is a $300 phone at best, I would not want to pay $400+ for all of that.

sourdough posted:

I wish Pixel 3 was plastic. Glass is the dumbest thing.

This though, this is the goddamn truth. Glass sucks rear end, and so does metal. There's a reason the pixel 2 had a coated metal back (hint, it's because metal sucks and nobody wants to hold a metal phone without a case). All it does is drastically increase price and weight with both metal and glass, and drastically reduces durability in the case of glass. All so some moronic reviewer can say the phone "feels premium" :rolleyes:

The Nexus 5X was a lovely phone (though with a pretty good camera for its price at the time), but goddamn do I miss its plastic body.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Personally, I still can't get over the "we added the headphone jack back because if you can't afford a $1,000 phone, you can't afford BT headphones" reasoning. What the gently caress. That's...pure Google right there. It's like they have a complete disconnect from the real world where things like cheapo $20 BT earbuds exist.

Granted, they're terrible but still. :v:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Taffer posted:

This would all be fine..... if the phone were more affordable. Yeah, you'll get a great camera, but if you're already trying to save money there are a ton of much better choices already out there. This is a $300 phone at best, I would not want to pay $400+ for all of that.

Good thing there's a plethora of deals cutting the price closer to what you want.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Somewhere in Google HQ:

Pixel Engineer: No ones going to buy this poo poo if we tack on premium prices for a plastic mid-range phone.
Executive #1103: But we're the equivalent to iPhones! :downs:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ThermoPhysical posted:

Personally, I still can't get over the "we added the headphone jack back because if you can't afford a $1,000 phone, you can't afford BT headphones" reasoning. What the gently caress. That's...pure Google right there. It's like they have a complete disconnect from the real world where things like cheapo $20 BT earbuds exist.

I can easily afford Bluetooth headphones ( :smug: ) which I sometimes use but I will not buy a phone without a headphone jack. I'll probably pick up the 4a.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > The Android Thread - We can afford Bluetooth headphones!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Taffer posted:

Good news: It comes with a $100 gift card free at Best Buy.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Tetrabor posted:

Somewhere in Google HQ:

Pixel Engineer: No ones going to buy this poo poo if we tack on premium prices for a plastic mid-range phone.
Executive #1103: But we're the equivalent to iPhones! :downs:

Camera number go up! Battery number go up! Do a gestures!

ThermoPhysical posted:

I can't wear nice Bluetooth over-ears without having to take my glasses off. So I'm back to my cable earbuds with the adapter because they're discreet and, well, music comes out of them.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
I don't understand the UK pricing for the 3a. It's launching at £399 but the standard Pixel 3 is only £490 currently

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like Time Lapse isn't going to be exclusive to the 3as.

It's available for the 1, 2, and 3 now via camera app update.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Oh god, the fabric case for the 3a has a huge cutout up top for the headphone jack. Why didn't they just put it down at the bottom?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ThermoPhysical posted:

Looks like Time Lapse isn't going to be exclusive to the 3as.

It's available for the 1, 2, and 3 now via camera app update.

Google play is showing the last camera update was in March for me

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

Google play is showing the last camera update was in March for me

Got the information from Verge, it'll probably be out later.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/7/18528484/google-pixel-time-lapse-camera-mode-feature-3a-3-2-io-2019

quote:

The feature is available now on the Google Pixel, Pixel 2, and Pixel 3 via an update for the camera app. It will also be available on the new Google Pixel 3A and Pixel 3A XL.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

Oh god, the fabric case for the 3a has a huge cutout up top for the headphone jack. Why didn't they just put it down at the bottom?

Look, Google doesn't copy everything Apple does... :rolleye:

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
these gestures are loving stupid but at least I get more screen real estate on my phone

I can get used to it

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Branch Nvidian posted:

that's how you know it's a poor people phone. see if you can spot them using the GO version of apps Google released, in their infinite benevolence, for use by those wretched souls outside the SF Bay area

[e] They're apparently bundling 3a's with a Nest Hub - is that a newer version of the Home Hub?

spincube fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 7, 2019

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mister Facetious posted:

I already own an SD821 though.

SD670 is faster than a SD821. It actually trades blows with the SD835.

It's like a baby SD845.

It's also basically just a lower clocked SD710. Seriously, the SD670 is a pretty drat nice mid-range SoC.

https://www.androidcentral.com/qualcomm-snapdragon-670

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 7, 2019

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

So T-Mobile is running a bill credit deal to make the 3a essentially free with trade in of certain phones, including the Pixel 1XL. I currently have a P1XL and while I'm not strictly looking to upgrade, for free, I was thinking why not? I like that the body is smaller but the screen is essentially the same. I'm mostly concerned if the 3a is going to be snappier than the 1XL and if the screen isn't a total letdown compared to what I have now.

I already have T-Mobile (and no plans of leaving) and while I don't like the idea of buying from a carrier, I can get over it for a free upgrade.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

bull3964 posted:

SD670 is faster than a SD821. It actually trades blows with the SD835.

It's like a baby SD845.

It's also basically just a lower clocked SD710. Seriously, the SD670 is a pretty drat nice mid-range SoC.

https://www.androidcentral.com/qualcomm-snapdragon-670

Going by the published geekbench (I'm old fashioned; I need a quantifiable baseline) score, the 670 single core is basically the same as an 821 (~1850), and only a third better in multi.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Rocking the new gestures on my Pixel 3XL. Already getting slightly annoyed at having to reach for the hamburger button in a few apps.

The way Fluid Navigation Gestures handles it is slightly better. The back button guesture space doesn't reach all the way to the top, so a swipe from halfway up would act as the left swipe gesture instead.

Some apps apparently have a generous left swipe option, like Slide for Reddit (shut up, you're on Reddit too), so if I swipe from almost-but-not-quite the edge I get the left swipe action instead of the back button.

Really what needs to happen for this to work better is for app developers to update the back button to open the sidebar and we'll be all set, but we'll see how it all plays out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mister Facetious posted:

Going by the published geekbench (I'm old fashioned; I need a quantifiable baseline) score, the 670 single core is basically the same as an 821 (~1850), and only a third better in multi.

1/3rd better in multi is a pretty big deal. It's also on a smaller production process (10nm vs 14nm) so it's more power efficient and less likely to thermal throttle.

I literally went from a SD820 device to a SD670 device and the difference was noticeable.

SD710 is essentially the same chipset, just 200mhz higher on the performance cores. There's not much better in the mid-range market for Qualcomm.

Likely the reason they didn't go with SD710 is that they didn't need the QHD+ display support. FHD+ was sufficient and those extra 200mhz peak were going to do gently caress all for overall performance.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 7, 2019

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Humerus posted:

So T-Mobile is running a bill credit deal to make the 3a essentially free with trade in of certain phones, including the Pixel 1XL. I currently have a P1XL and while I'm not strictly looking to upgrade, for free, I was thinking why not? I like that the body is smaller but the screen is essentially the same. I'm mostly concerned if the 3a is going to be snappier than the 1XL and if the screen isn't a total letdown compared to what I have now.

I already have T-Mobile (and no plans of leaving) and while I don't like the idea of buying from a carrier, I can get over it for a free upgrade.

holy poo poo I had no intention of getting a 3a but that trade-in offer for the Pixel is a no brainer

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hah, so this is fun: switching between light and dark modes and back apparently fucks with notifications that have dark backgrounds. Here's how the Apple Music notification is supposed to look while playing an album with a dark cover:

And here's what it looks like after toggling modes:

[Edit: it works the other way around too, lol]

On one hand, I get why Android is overriding colored notifications, as it would be annoying if an app hardcoded notifications that show as white even with dark mode enabled, but on the other hand I like having colored music notifications. I wonder what the cutoff is? Can anyone think of any super dark grey album covers?

[Final edit: it's not just black or white covers, Android overwrites whatever color the app selects. Frick.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 7, 2019

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Google made a really good job on releasing a phone that is DOA saleswise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Celexi posted:

Google made a really good job on releasing a phone that is DOA saleswise

What phone are you talking about? The Pixel 3? The Pixel 2? The OG Pixel? Literally every Nexus phone that preceded those?