Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

QuarkJets posted:

Steven Speilberg: *looks up from the script for The Phantom Menace after reading how Anakin is owned by a tiny jew with wings* "oh george uh I'd be honored to direct this, but I really, really think that you should do it"

That's why we need Verhoven. Dude would lean into it. Episode I could have been like Starship Troopers where the whole movie is subtly making GBS threads all over the original. An ironic Phantom Menace would have owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Speaking of ironic phantom menace, what was the name of the recut that was good? It was mentioned in the thread a bunch of times but when I actually went back and looked for it I couldn't find where it was mentioned.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The copy of the script that George was showing to people was full of helpful notes, the first page where the viceroy character's name appears had its name circled in red pen, and it's pointed to from a circle containing a single word: "CHINAMAN"

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Applewhite posted:

He's so good at it though :(

Yeah, but with Hollow Man apparently the studio system started changing. Before he was basically given a script and like Arnold Schwarzenegger and then the studio let him do whatever crazy poo poo he wanted, but then they wanted to see the dailies and micromanaging everything and so on. Foreshadowing the basically studio-directed movies of today (new Star Wars not least of all), where the name of the director is more or less just another unique selling point for the marketing of the movie.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

QuarkJets posted:

Steven Speilberg: *looks up from the script for The Phantom Menace after reading how Anakin is owned by a tiny jew with wings* "oh george uh I'd be honored to direct this, but I really, really think that you should do it"

lmfao

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

For the jedi fight sequence in TPM George's script just had 1 big page with the words "SWORD FIGHT, JOHN WILLIAMS SCORE" and then a bunch of doodles of lady gungans with big boobs

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

For the jedi fight sequence in TPM George's script just had 1 big page with the words "SWORD FIGHT, JOHN WILLIAMS SCORE" and then a bunch of doodles of lady gungans with big boobs

You joke, but apart from the gungan boobs, which will have to remain conjecture, that's probably literally what it looked like. There's a behind the scenes thing from one of the prequels where George triumphantly presents a first draft to a room of people, saying it's got a lot of "cheating", alot of "they fight".

And you loving know they didn't go further than first draft With any of those loving movies.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Applewhite posted:

Speaking of ironic phantom menace, what was the name of the recut that was good? It was mentioned in the thread a bunch of times but when I actually went back and looked for it I couldn't find where it was mentioned.

Nvm was thinking of auralnauts.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

QuarkJets posted:

Lol

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Applewhite posted:

Nvm was thinking of auralnauts.

The true best star war.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Think of it this way: have you ever spent like 30 minutes looking for your car keys only to discover they were in your pocket the entire time?

Think of it this way: Guess what always happens when your keys are on your block, in your house, in your room, in the laundry basket, in the back pocket of the pants. You find them, even if it takes 30 minutes.

Now guess what happens if a Jedi with magical powers to deceive people into believing what he wants them to takes them and puts them on a different planet that you've never heard of before and can't find on a map.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Congrats internet, it took us all a while but we found an even dumber “plot” “hole” than why they didn’t just fly the eagles to Mordor

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Since he was brought up. I know it's weird that somehow for me, one of the most notable ("biggest" seemed a bit hyperbolic) blunders of the prequels is that they did absolutely nothing with Uncle Owen other than just have him show up and sheepishly announce that he's kind of Anakin's step brother now.

I mean he wasn't much of a character in the original movie, but it did seem like he had more backstory involving him, Obi-Wan and Anakin than what we got. It seems like Obi-Wan essentially showed up as a Jedi and recruited Anakin to join up and fight in the Clone Wars or something and that this caused a falling out with Owen who wanted nothing to do with that nonsense. There's also the mention of Luke's father (who wasn't Vader at the time the original movie was made, so it doesn't fit in thaaat well with the whole series) wanting him to have his lightsaber when he grew up (which also kind of messes with what they eventually decided the Jedi were going to be like, but no matter) and that Owen wouldn't allow it. I dunno, seems like things might maybe have been a bit more interesting if they had actually made him Anakin's brother (and made him an actual character) or something and done some kind of personal and ideological conflict between the two.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 7, 2019

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Randarkman posted:

Since he was brought up. I know it's weird that somehow for me, one of the most notable ("biggest" seemed a bit hyperbolic) blunders of the prequels is that they did absolutely with Uncle Owen other than just have him show up and sheepishly announce that he's kind of Luke's step brother now.

I mean he wasn't much of a character in the original movie, but it did seem like he mad more backstory involving him, Obi-Wan and Anakin than what we got. It seems like Obi-Wan essentially showed up as a Jedi and recruited Anakin to join up and fight in the Clone Wars or something and that this caused a falling out with Owen who wanted nothing to do with that nonsense, and there's also the mention of Luke's father (who wasn't Vader at the time the original movie was made, so it doesn't fit in thaaat well with the whole) wanting him to have his lightsaber when he grew up (which also kind of messes with what they eventually decided the Jedi were going to be like, but no matter) and that Owen wouldn't allow it. I dunno, seems like things might maybe have been a bit more interesting if they had actually made him his brother (and made him a character) or something and done some kind of personal and ideological conflict between the two.

Every new page needs to have in the very first post. . .

"Congrats! You've just spent more time thinking of the story than anyone involved in this movie"

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Randarkman posted:

Since he was brought up. I know it's weird that somehow for me, one of the most notable ("biggest" seemed a bit hyperbolic) blunders of the prequels is that they did absolutely nothing with Uncle Owen other than just have him show up and sheepishly announce that he's kind of Anakin's step brother now.

I mean he wasn't much of a character in the original movie, but it did seem like he had more backstory involving him, Obi-Wan and Anakin than what we got. It seems like Obi-Wan essentially showed up as a Jedi and recruited Anakin to join up and fight in the Clone Wars or something and that this caused a falling out with Owen who wanted nothing to do with that nonsense. There's also the mention of Luke's father (who wasn't Vader at the time the original movie was made, so it doesn't fit in thaaat well with the whole series) wanting him to have his lightsaber when he grew up (which also kind of messes with what they eventually decided the Jedi were going to be like, but no matter) and that Owen wouldn't allow it. I dunno, seems like things might maybe have been a bit more interesting if they had actually made him Anakin's brother (and made him an actual character) or something and done some kind of personal and ideological conflict between the two.

Of all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these: "it might have been."

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
frankly i'm surprised that after like 40 some odd pages the "jar-jar was a sith lord theory" hasn't come up

cuz its fun as hell

and it might of made the prequels mildly interesting. but jar-jar was so unanimously hated, so viciously ostracized, and rightly so imo, that lucas backed out of it

its a silly theory but there is all kinds of cool and fun evidence for it in TPM.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
A lot of Darth Jar Jar is batshit crazy bigger Luke level stuff, which is so weird to me because the root of the theory (namely that Jar Jar was originally planned to have an extended character arc where he would be revealed as a villain in ep2, but Lucas turned away from that and left only vestiges of it in ep2 and nothing at all in ep3 because of how badly the character bombed) is inarguably literally true.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Now I'm watching clips of Jar Jar Binks side by side with a Drunken Boxing Master and lolin

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 7, 2019

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
what got me was the bigger fish scene where jar-jar goes into a trance and like passes out and then the gianter fish saves them. like, why would they put that animation in?

skasion posted:

A lot of Darth Jar Jar is batshit crazy bigger Luke level stuff,

i wouldn't got that far

there's a ton of good evidence, it was just obviously terribly done, like everything else in that film.

"jar-jar is the key to all this...if we can get him working...." spoiler alert: they could not "get him working"

it also explains why the whole count dookie stuff was so hollow and bad

kind of a shame because the idea was so good. lucas should have just gone with it, maybe it would make viewers interpret TPM through a new lens and make them like it more, which was already his whole point since he intentionally hid all the poo poo anyway, forcing people to go back and watch it through a new lens anyway

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Jar Jar Binks being a Drunken Boxing master is now canon to me

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

RaySmuckles posted:

what got me was the bigger fish scene where jar-jar goes into a trance and like passes out and then the gianter fish saves them. like, why would they put that animation in?

i wouldn't got that far

there's a ton of good evidence, it was just obviously terribly done, like everything else in that film.

"jar-jar is the key to all this...if we can get him working...." spoiler alert: they could not "get him working"

it also explains why the whole count dookie stuff was so hollow and bad

kind of a shame because the idea was so good. lucas should have just gone with it, maybe it would make viewers interpret TPM through a new lens and make them like it more, which was already his whole point since he intentionally hid all the poo poo anyway, forcing people to go back and watch it through a new lens anyway

There's no saving that movie and "what if MORE Jar Jar" is probably the worst thing I've ever heard to 'fix' it in my life.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Big Beef City posted:

There's no saving that movie and "what if MORE Jar Jar" is probably the worst thing I've ever heard to 'fix' it in my life.

*Watches Star Wars Episodes 1-3*

Hmm, a very unsatisfying experience. Perhaps if they had included more of this Jar Jar Binks character in the later two episodes, making him a central character in the conflict, things would have turned out better.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Applewhite posted:

That's why we need Verhoven. Dude would lean into it. Episode I could have been like Starship Troopers where the whole movie is subtly making GBS threads all over the original. An ironic Phantom Menace would have owned.

according to Cinema Discusso, this is what we got

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

According to cinema discuss o captain America is a rapist

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

sebmojo posted:

This is true b/c he represents American Values (i.e. Rape)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

sebmojo posted:

Is this a typo of "racist" or is he supposedly actually a rapist.

I don't know much Captain America (other than his love of racism/rape)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Th theory is elaborate and extremely stupid

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

sebmojo posted:

elaborate and extremely stupid

Yeah, that's the impression I got whenever I tried reading CD in the past.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

RaySmuckles posted:

frankly i'm surprised that after like 40 some odd pages the "jar-jar was a sith lord theory" hasn't come up

cuz its fun as hell

You misspelled "dumb"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

sebmojo posted:

Th theory is elaborate and extremely stupid

It's all just a misunderstanding, at the end of Endgame when Captain America has sex with Thanos, Thanos is weeping but those are tears of joy, it's a sensual love scene but there are explosions and poo poo in the background so it's easy to misinterpret

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

QuarkJets posted:

It's all just a misunderstanding, at the end of Endgame when Captain America has sex with Thanos, Thanos is weeping but those are tears of joy, it's a sensual love scene but there are explosions and poo poo in the background so it's easy to misinterpret

The part where he exclaims what the A on his forehead stands for, I clapped.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Big Beef City posted:

:shrug: my position is "what if jar-jar, but good and not infuriatingly awful." the idea of an anti-yoda is cool to me. it rhymes, you see

QuarkJets posted:

You misspelled "dumb"

:shrug:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I mean who knows really. Maybe Lucas wanted to rip off the the Mule story from the Foundation series? If I recall correctly the Mule disguises himself as an actual clown in order to appear harmless and infiltrate the Foundation. Can't remember much more about the specifics of his plan, but it was something like that.

Anyway we'll never know because George hosed up by making TPM a terrible trainwreck of a movie then phoned in the next two.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gutcruncher posted:

The part where he exclaims what the A on his forehead stands for, I clapped.

"A Rapist", I assume.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Captain America is a rapist of the "third world."

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
whole new meaning to the word "hellhole"

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Moridin920 posted:

Jar Jar Binks being a Drunken Boxing master is now canon to me

It's already canon.

There's an episode of the Clone Wars cartoon where a clone commander who survives a crash with Jar Jar on an occupied world, intentionally sends Jar Jar to negotiate with the separatist battalion surrounding them, knowing full well that comedic mayhem, chaos, destruction, and a chance to survive will inevitably ensue.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

RaySmuckles posted:

what, no. qui gonn puts him out to shut him up

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
people literally, openly and unironically advocating for darth jar jar and saying it was cut, actually lmfao :chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I kind of want a lovely CGI edit where Dooku is replaced by Jar Jar and his voice is dubbed by Seth MacFarlane being racist to see how well the theory works