Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

absolutely, 100% unironically (not implying you're being ironic)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

absolutely, 100% unironically (not implying you're being ironic)

This is the same dude who made the guillotine video. If I agree with that video, I'm basically forced to agree with this one.

It all makes perfect sense, it totally scans. Six kitty companies run EVERYTHING!

Best Korea
Feb 15, 2012
Trever Moore is gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvjgIxuVdo4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lOyaw7yjMQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_574Rxxez2c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmkmKrbMgvI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAm5KTWvUTk

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

first they weaponized crickets and now whales? what if they deploy a squad of highly trained bears to knock out my air conditioning in the middle of summer :ohdear:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

is pepsi ok posted:

first they weaponized crickets and now whales? what if they deploy a squad of highly trained bears to knock out my air conditioning in the middle of summer :ohdear:

The US used to lower divers (to depths the Russians thought were impossible for divers) to attach tracking devices to all the Russian subs leaving then North, Norwegian, Baltic (etc) seas which then had to be removed from said subs when they came back. I have relatives who were in involved. I've had coworkers whose parents were on the Russian subs. I guess what I'm saying is there is a great deal of movement of nuclear weapons in those areas.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Willie Tomg posted:

Brandor, I really don't want to put your back up here, but: What if this outcome was entirely predictable many years ago not through hermeneutic exegesis of hitherto common nouns, but actually looking at material relations and making empirical observations upon them?

What if--and I truly don't mean to sound insane here--what if some people on a forum were trying to tell you about this process *for literal years, now?*

It's a mistake to not recognize that I am also talking about something that is material. Let's use the freedom example. In the fourties and fifties you have Birchers and Libertarians giving talks in lovely hotel convention spaces. Then on the radio. They intersect with and write for the segregationists (and religious right)and later the southern strategy republicans. Eventually people like Roger Ailes come out of this and shape television networks. Others like the Kochs also start those think tanks, university programs, and social programs. On the other side freedom is very much materially present in the civil rights movement (are we not yet free?) and similiar real physical things happen. I'm real. You're real. We are having a conversation about how we live our lives. That conversation isn't just a
hermeneutic exegesis of hitherto common nouns. It's about material relations. It's an observable phenomena. But it hasn't been easily measurable. That creates a particular type of error. An example is the behaviorists not talking about love because it wasn't easily measurable. Ignoring the observable but hard to measure can be grave error with serious consequences.

But right now it's becoming measurable and even experimentable on.

Willie Tomg posted:

Your point about language is good! it's also kinda quaint in the year 2019 though; Chomsky is whom Chomsky is mostly on the basis of originally talking about those linguistic models, and the rest is... well... historical materialism. Because when you start talking about abstracts in a serious way other than spinning your wheels, you start grinding into observable realities which can be observed, measured, and yes: predicted to within a confidence interval.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG1Ima2FiMM
https://twitter.com/MollyWolly8/status/1028687465891147776

At the end of the day where am I sitting? Usually (and currently) down on the waterfront with labor on the piers and on the ships. I have made my choice and I would be somewhere else if I believed something else.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 29, 2019

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Didn’t the Navy try and weaponize dolphins?

Anyways this is hilarious except I hope they didn’t kill the whale like loving sociopaths.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

Didn’t the Navy try and weaponize dolphins?

Yes.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Mueller Objected to Barr’s Description of Russia Investigation’s Findings https://nyti.ms/2DEvWEQ

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

BrandorKP posted:

Mueller Objected to Barr’s Description of Russia Investigation’s Findings https://nyti.ms/2DEvWEQ

Once again, a great example of a headline that Mueller truthers can project all kinds of hopes onto, which then leads to the following underwhelming story:

quote:

“The special counsel emphasized that nothing in the attorney general’s March 24 letter was inaccurate or misleading,” a Justice Department spokeswoman, Kerri Kupec, said in response to a request for comment made on Tuesday afternoon. “But he expressed frustration over the lack of context and the resulting media coverage regarding the special counsel’s obstruction analysis.”

The President literally confessed to obstruction of justice on live television more than a year ago, and it doesn't matter because he's basically an elected King and nobody in a real position of power has any interest in impeachment anyway. Once again, the obsession with the palace intrigues of an intrinsically broken government distracts people from the more consequential issues of actually building a new politics. This poo poo is theatre.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Helsing things like this:

RandomBlue posted:

https://twitter.com/nprpolitics/status/1123584112646688769

For those of you who say this isn't an issue voters care about, you're wrong. This is definitely an issue Democrat voters care about. Not taking action is going to depress dem turnout.

Are kind of problematic for your opinion.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The saddest thing for me was learning about Gangstalking. Basically, people with undiagnosed paranoia are convincing themselves there's a mass conspiracy to keep tabs on them via spies hidden in plain sight. What makes it sad is that these people are all posting hour+ long screeds to youtube and reinforcing each others' delusions and it's terrifying to see basically the mentally ill prey on other mentally unwell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LPS7E-0tuA

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

BrandorKP posted:

Helsing things like this:

Are kind of problematic for your opinion.

It would be easier for me to respond if you explained why you think that.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Helsing posted:

It would be easier for me to respond if you explained why you think that.

70% of Dems think impeachment should proceed. You'd rather move on to building something new. Which group of people are the constituency for that?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

BrandorKP posted:

It's still a possibility that Barr is full of poo poo and misrepresenting the facts as presented in the report. When I write reports for lawyers the goto rule is: stick to the factual, avoid any analysis let the lawyers do the concluding. My reports get written as dry factual accounts, this allows them (the party that hired us) to snip parts out to reference and omit others to build a case to protect the party they represent. If Barr is full of poo poo the risk for him is that any one else sees the report, and that's a big risk for something like this. I'm inclined to think it's not been excessively spun because other parties are eventually going to see the report but if it has, lol.

Looks like Barr went full LOL from the hearings.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

BrandorKP posted:

70% of Dems think impeachment should proceed. You'd rather move on to building something new. Which group of people are the constituency for that?

That's exactly my point though. The effect of being so relentlessly focused on the drama of the Mueller probe and the endless speculation about a Clancyesque Russian plot to install a Manchurian candidate was to divert a lot of the energy and attention that should have gone into asking hard questions about how to fix the Democratic party. The Democrats obviously are only a small part of this mess but they happen to be the one institution that is theoretically both amendable to grassroots pressure and capable of enacting major political reforms (provided it had totally new leadership). So the focus on the Democrats here is a pragmatic necessity. The GOP sucks but that can't really be avoided. At least in theory the Democrats could be an effective vehicle for rooting out political corruption and addressing some of the deep systemic problems that are threatening to swallow up America's fraying democratic institutions.

Instead the Democrats spent two years fixating the Mueller probe and now there's no time left before the primary to actually discuss anything except who the most electable opponent to Donald Trump is.The Mueller probe and the endless hyping it received from "journalists" like Rachel Maddow has had a pacifying effect on the Democratic base at a time when they should be mad as hell at their own leaders. It also had a measurable impact in raising Democrats opinions of some of the most corrupt and problematic parts of the American security state.

So you're right, the United States currently lacks an effective constituency for making a serious political challenge to the system. The Mueller probe and the broken civic ideology it encourages people to cling onto is part of the reason for that.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Easy Diff posted:

The saddest thing for me was learning about Gangstalking. Basically, people with undiagnosed paranoia are convincing themselves there's a mass conspiracy to keep tabs on them via spies hidden in plain sight. What makes it sad is that these people are all posting hour+ long screeds to youtube and reinforcing each others' delusions and it's terrifying to see basically the mentally ill prey on other mentally unwell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LPS7E-0tuA

Isn't this what happened to the sonichu guy?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

drilldo squirt posted:

Isn't this what happened to the sonichu guy?

I feel like being internet infamous kinda makes sonichu the only person on earth that needs to worry about gangstalking.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Look Brandor, the cute widdle conspiracy theory that you fed and sheltered is a big boy now. Gosh they grow up so fast.

The Hill posted:

Assessing who Putin's preferred 2020 candidate will be

BY JANUSZ BUGAJSKI, OPINION CONTRIBUTOR — 04/30/19 03:30 PM EDT

The Kremlin is apparently gearing up for a sustained intervention in the 2020 U.S. presidential elections.

The core of Robert Mueller's special counsel probe provides overwhelming evidence that Russia’s intelligence services intervened in the 2016 U.S. elections and aimed to help Donald Trump win the presidency. However, Moscow’s calculations may have changed regarding whom to support in the November 2020 ballot.

As President Vladimir Putin faces mounting public protests at home, he will seek to deflect attention by undermining U.S. democracy and disrupting policymaking. The White House is mistaken if it calculates that this will again work in Trump’s favor.

The Trump presidency has deeply disappointed the Kremlin, as the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) has strengthened its capabilities in Europe. Moscow’s targets — Ukraine and Georgia — are now better armed, and economic sanctions against Moscow have been reinforced. Hence, Putin may well favor one of Trump’s Democratic opponents.

Moscow’s disinformation and influence operations will have two primary aims: to help foster confusion and conflict during the U.S. election campaign and to prevent the election of former Vice President Joe Biden.

Biden has a long congressional track record of strengthening NATO, understands the extent of Russia’s imperial ambitions and is most likely to increase U.S. pressure on Moscow if elected.

Kremlin intervention in the 2016 elections demonstrates that America is a soft target for foreign subversion. Russia’s intelligence services have probed American politics for many years, seeking to gain influence or obtain intelligence on personalities, politics and policy.

However, under the Putin regime, the Kremlin became more ambitious in its intentions and more capable in its operations.

Russian state services focus on at least five entry points into U.S. elections: hacking, hoaxing, corrupting, compromising and penetrating. The hacking strategy consists of intercepting, altering, forging and releasing personal communications to discredit presidential candidates.

Selections of stolen documents are provided to Russian surrogates such as WikiLeaks for general release at politically opportune occasions during election campaigns.

The hoaxing strategy entails planting and disseminating false stories about politicians and parties through both the traditional media and social platforms. The fabricated accounts can be positive or negative, but the purpose is to spread rumors that may stick in a voter’s mind even if the stories are subsequently debunked as false.

Even spreading fraudulent stories about collusion with Russia can serve Moscow’s objectives by denigrating certain politicians and campaigns while generating political disputes.

The corruption strategy involves enticing, duping, bribing or recruiting political activists, lobbyists, journalists and academics to promulgate Moscow’s conspiracy theories or whitewashing its policies. The Kremlin’s well-tested European model of financial corruption is likely to be more comprehensively applied in the U.S.

The compromising strategy focuses on gathering scandalous and salacious material that can be used to blackmail political leaders and affect U.S. policy. Russian services would be failing in their duties if they did not gather "kompromat" — i.e., compromising material — on all major U.S. politicians and businesspeople.

The Kremlin can hold this material in reserve in case it needs to generate scandals against an incumbent president and undermine White House policies.

The fifth method is a strategy of penetration. Hackers recruited by the Kremlin will seek to gain access to election rolls and voting systems, possibly to alter voter information and affect elections at local and state levels.

Although it is unclear what precise impact this may have on the vote count, the information gained can be used in subsequent elections to target particular voters.

Moscow’s five methods for influencing the outcome of elections relies on favorable political conditions in contemporary America. Polarization between the two major parties is so profound that foreign actors have space to infiltrate and provide a candidate with useful assistance against a domestic opponent.

Partisan rifts are also reflected in a deeply divided electorate, which is susceptible to conspiracy theories and negative propaganda against the rival party.

A divided political environment also fosters neglect and naiveté among decision-makers about Moscow’s strategic aims. The utopian idea that Russia can be a strategic partner lulled much of the political establishment to sleep until the extent of Moscow’s intervention in the 2016 elections unfolded.

During the past decade, America has become a vulnerable society with a false sense of security. Although the FBI and other government branches can defend against major cyberattacks, it is more difficult to protect against propaganda, disinformation and political penetration. And Washington remains largely passive in a much-needed intervention to undermine the Putin regime.

Putin’s preferred choice in the November 2020 elections is likely to be a progressive or populist Democrat. The Kremlin will assess which candidate:

--has a weak record on the NATO alliance and international military involvement;
--has previously voiced sympathies for leftist dictatorships; and
--is more likely to reach out for a new “grand bargain” with Moscow that will allow it to extend its “sphere of influence.”

Such a candidate would be in a position to perform the function that Trump proved unable to accomplish.

Janusz Bugajski is a senior fellow at the Center for European Policy Analysis (CEPA). He is the former director of New European Democracy Program at the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS). Follow him on Twitter: @JBugajskiUSA.

tl;dr - Well actually Trump wasn't the pro-Russia Presiden that Putin wanted him to be so now Vlad is looking to get a populist Democrat elected.

It's amazing how every part of the Russia-gate conspiracy theory has achieved a zombie-like state of immortality even when the evidence never materialized or totally dissolved upon closer inspection. The only thing that's changed is the vague pretense that all this scaremongering was ever about anything other than defending the status quo.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BrandorKP posted:

You're interpreting this very strangely and basically reading "supports impeachment" as "considers impeachment of Trump a top priority." I would have answered yes to that question, for example, despite not thinking it's very important in the grand scheme of things. It doesn't really support or contradict what Helsing said.

In contrast, polls that actually attempt to gauge what voters consider "most important" (which are a better proxy for this than the poll you linked) usually end up with things like healthcare or the economy ranking at the top.

Best Korea
Feb 15, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like being internet infamous kinda makes sonichu the only person on earth that needs to worry about gangstalking.

Kiwifarms are still actively harassing Brianna Wu (a mentally ill woman who was involved in Gamergate somehow), and Jesse Slaughter. Anyone with untreated mental illness and no one who cares enough to tell them to step away from the internet has gangstalkers.

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012
Helsing, Ytlaya, do you agree with Taibbi's and Greenwald's recent takes on Barr and the Mueller report? In particular the framing and not so much whether what they say is technically correct in some narrow sense.

Also thank you both for your replies before. They have been helpful and I will come back to them once I am more free.

[EDIT]: The opinion piece you quoted above is bonkers Helsing, but that was your point right?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I will never stop laughing if the end result of the Russia nonsense is people going "don't vote for Bernie he's Putin's candidate!"

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Helsing posted:

Look Brandor, the cute widdle conspiracy theory that you fed and sheltered is a big boy now. Gosh they grow up so fast.

Now everybody is doing it ( the social media manipulation ) to everybody, Helsing. Like it's a thing that now gets discussed on this American Life (they did a segment on D groups doing it to Moore supporters). It should now just be assumed it's occurring all the time . I think I even remember reading about specfic congressmen (all male R's) having bots.

This means several things. The intial newness and unprepared-ness is past. The one sided-ness (the right and authoritarians) when aimed at the electorate is past. The effectiveness is probably going to fall off overtime. I'd bet that's being modelled right now. It's use by our military will also probably see a similar effectiveness fall off.

That's all probably good.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

BrandorKP posted:

It's a mistake to not recognize that I am also talking about something that is material. Let's use the freedom example. In the fourties and fifties you have Birchers and Libertarians giving talks in lovely hotel convention spaces. Then on the radio. They intersect with and write for the segregationists (and religious right)and later the southern strategy republicans. Eventually people like Roger Ailes come out of this and shape television networks. Others like the Kochs also start those think tanks, university programs, and social programs. On the other side freedom is very much materially present in the civil rights movement (are we not yet free?) and similiar real physical things happen. I'm real. You're real. We are having a conversation about how we live our lives. That conversation isn't just a hermeneutic exegesis of hitherto common nouns. It's about material relations. It's an observable phenomena. But it hasn't been easily measurable. That creates a particular type of error. An example is the behaviorists not talking about love because it wasn't easily measurable. Ignoring the observable but hard to measure can be grave error with serious consequences.

But right now it's becoming measurable and even experimentable on.

Though I appreciate you've got poo poo to do IRL other than fall into a hole full of depressing research into ultimately useless yet accurate facts it would hearten me somewhat in this admittedly narrow context if you advanced beyond rhetoric and displayed some enthusiasm for putting this purported attitude into practice. It wastes a few brain cycles as you'll inevitably process a regrettable Zizek Phase, but on the upside you won't freak out over the compromise of republican democracy just because the shabbiest and most halfassed entries into the new griftmarkets happen to be another overseas franchise.

quote:

At the end of the day where am I sitting? Usually (and currently) down on the waterfront with labor on the piers and on the ships. I have made my choice and I would be somewhere else if I believed something else.

America is starving to death on "belief." Do. IMHO.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

fast cars loose anus posted:

I will never stop laughing if the end result of the Russia nonsense is people going "don't vote for Bernie he's Putin's candidate!"

This was always going to be the end result of the Russia nonsense.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
So let me sum up what I believe.

1. A foreign government attacked our elections in order to help Donald Trump.
2. Trump welcomed their help.
3. Trump tried to obstruct the investigation into their actions.

(Not my words, but that is the best summary I have found).
After two years, that is as much I can and could ascertain.

I can make two predictions though:

1. There will never be a time that Trump, or a sizable amount of people in his orbit, will "be in the clear". Due to William Barr's efforts, Trump managed to win a news cycle. And then, of course, we learn from the full report that there are currently at least 12 federal investigations that we know little or nothing of going on. There will not be an endpoint into the investigations into the conduct of Donald Trump, or his associates. No one, from Jacob Wohl, to Matthew Whittaker, to Jerry Falwell, is going to be sleeping soundly if they are smart. Which they aren't, but nevertheless. There never was a smoking gun to tie everything together, but there is also no smoking gun where everyone is cleared.

2. The history of the Trump presidency, when it is written, will be about the criminal investigations against him. Assuming he is even remembered as anything but a footnote to "And then climate change destroyed civilization", the major lens that Trump will be viewed through is through these investigations, which continue. Even his egregious and inhumane policies, as well as his blundering about the world stage, will still be treated through the lens of his corruption, and how he made those around him even more corrupt. History isn't simple, so Trump's corruption will be viewed as going along with his policy, along with the increasing xenophobia and anti-intellectualism of the Republican Party dating back decades. But Trump's corruption, including but limited to the Special Counsel investigation, is still the primary story about Trump.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
:agreed: except there isn't much of a story beyond "Trump was a massively corrupt dude, tremendously corrupt, with huge levels of corruption like you've never seen before, and he was so dumb he only ever managed to do disorganised crimes :sad:"

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

glowing-fish posted:

2. The history of the Trump presidency, when it is written, will be about the criminal investigations against him. Assuming he is even remembered as anything but a footnote to "And then climate change destroyed civilization", the major lens that Trump will be viewed through is through these investigations, which continue. Even his egregious and inhumane policies, as well as his blundering about the world stage, will still be treated through the lens of his corruption, and how he made those around him even more corrupt. History isn't simple, so Trump's corruption will be viewed as going along with his policy, along with the increasing xenophobia and anti-intellectualism of the Republican Party dating back decades. But Trump's corruption, including but limited to the Special Counsel investigation, is still the primary story about Trump.

People won't stop defacing his walk of fame star, so I can't wait for the group ballsy enough to try and get him a presidential library or something.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

People won't stop defacing his walk of fame star, so I can't wait for the group ballsy enough to try and get him a presidential library or something.

There'll be The Donald Trump Presidential Golf Course And McDonald's Franchise instead.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Donald Trump Presidential Public Restroom

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
The greatest objection to the legal investigations of Trump seems to be some sort of idea that politics is only a form of economic determinism, and that everything else about personality or conduct is just theater that Serious People do not pay attention to.

As far as I can tell, because no one has ever said as much, any issue that is not purely economic is silly, and a distraction. If people believe that, I wish they would say as much.

What is most interesting to me about this is that we have to invent some pretty odd epicycles to account for the real positions of people on the issues. If believing that Trump's corruption is an issue that precludes having another economic or social agenda, why is Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, among other members of the progressive caucus, endorsing it, while the more conservative (in both senses of the word) leadership, such as Nancy Pelosi and Steny Hoyer, focusing on signing infrastructure bills? If Mueller's team was really an intelligence community coup for revenge against Trump because he wasn't hawkish enough, why didn't John Bolton and Mike Pompeo get the memo? Why did William Barr, the old school IC operative who helped cover up Iran Contra, do so much to suppress the report?

For believers in the simplicity of the political spectrum, you kind of need to invent epicycles to explain these things. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is apparently agitating for a return of interventionist foreign policy, and being blocked by Nancy Pelosi. Robert Mueller tried to stage a coup on behalf of the intelligence community, but was blocked by Barr and Rosenstein because they believed in democracy so much. What is the reasoning here?

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was a bartender in the Bronx, which seems to be perfect training for being able to focus on more than one thing at once. She can advocate for environmental infrastructure, and she can also believe it is congress' job to check the executive branch.

Because at heart, one of the things that the Serious Adults Who Understand What Is Important are saying is that there are only two sides or factions to any issue, and only one thing can be important at once. Which is I believe the opposite thing that Serious Adults should believe. Yes, I am worried about Davenport, Iowa being underwater, and I also don't think the President should be getting money from AT&T to pay off his mistresses. Life doesn't come down to a single factor, and sometimes we have to think about more than one thing at once.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

suck my woke dick posted:

:agreed: except there isn't much of a story beyond "Trump was a massively corrupt dude, tremendously corrupt, with huge levels of corruption like you've never seen before, and he was so dumb he only ever managed to do disorganised crimes :sad:"

Only because we are in the middle of things. Its like being in a car crash or getting mugged: there is so much stimulus you forget how overwhelming it is, and then later you go back and try to piece it together.

Yeah, from an objective viewpoint, one of the chairs of the Republican Party having his office raided by the feds because he was laundering money to pay for his mistresses' abortion is a pretty big story. Especially because he wasn't even the only chair of the Republican Party to be raided.

Also, one of the leaders of the US Evangelical movement endorsing Trump because his fixer helped him avoid blackmail? That story came out in the last three hours,

https://www.advocate.com/politics/2019/5/07/trump-fixer-hid-racy-pics-antigay-evangelical-jerry-falwell-jr

and yeah, that is, from an objective viewpoint, worth probably a chapter in our book.

Not to brag or anything, but I have not lived in the United States since Trump was president, and sometimes I feel like I am looking in to an alternate time stream. I am Guinean here, telling you that there should be children on the Enterprise.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Donald Trump Presidential Public Restroom

overworked docent: no actually that's the Trump gravestone, the Trump Restroom is just ov--okay never mind, just please remember to wash your hands when you're done

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
Okay, and a little bit of meta:

In the two threads that I made about the investigations, I was pretty careful to say that federal investigations are complicated things, there will probably never be a smoking gun, and that Trump was probably not acting as a "Manchurian Candidate". Although there have been a few salacious accusations, a lot of the details of money laundering and perjury are pretty dry and procedural. It was a complicated story, basically.

The problem is that most of D&D has just fallen prey to being a venting chamber for the 24 hour news cycle, or even the 12 hour Twitter Sick Burn cycle. Some state office holder in Oklahoma says something homophobic and people shout "Guilliotine" for the next 90 minutes. USPOL made thousands of jokes about Mike Pence loving horses, and they were not funny after the first page. So then we come to something like these investigations, which involves having to deal with legal filings from a half dozen trials over two years, and it is hard to sum it up in a Twitter sized burst.

Self-described advocates for media literacy were like "Oh yeah, the guy who arranged pardons for all those Iran-Contra figures had a news conference and said 'no collusion', and all the big news outlets are repeating it, so it looks like that is the end of the story"

While at times D&D has allowed an interesting form of lateral thinking, and there are some knowledgeable people posting here with good insights, in general, this place just seems to be a place to post their reactions to the news cycle. The people posting things like "Dehumanize Yourself and Face to Bloodshed" as a reaction to Barr's press conference were one of the worst examples of that. Someone can always take a complicated news story, and "win" by posting a single line of Twitter leftism. Someone will probably write a book about Mueller's choices in this investigation, and there is a good case that Mueller should have been more aggressive. But the person posting "Mueller is a Republican Cop" is not making that case. But, right now on D&D, that person "wins".

And that is all I have to say about the matter.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

glowing-fish posted:

Okay, and a little bit of meta:

In the two threads that I made about the investigations, I was pretty careful to say that federal investigations are complicated things, there will probably never be a smoking gun, and that Trump was probably not acting as a "Manchurian Candidate". Although there have been a few salacious accusations, a lot of the details of money laundering and perjury are pretty dry and procedural. It was a complicated story, basically.

The problem is that most of D&D has just fallen prey to being a venting chamber for the 24 hour news cycle, or even the 12 hour Twitter Sick Burn cycle. Some state office holder in Oklahoma says something homophobic and people shout "Guilliotine" for the next 90 minutes. USPOL made thousands of jokes about Mike Pence loving horses, and they were not funny after the first page. So then we come to something like these investigations, which involves having to deal with legal filings from a half dozen trials over two years, and it is hard to sum it up in a Twitter sized burst.

Self-described advocates for media literacy were like "Oh yeah, the guy who arranged pardons for all those Iran-Contra figures had a news conference and said 'no collusion', and all the big news outlets are repeating it, so it looks like that is the end of the story"

While at times D&D has allowed an interesting form of lateral thinking, and there are some knowledgeable people posting here with good insights, in general, this place just seems to be a place to post their reactions to the news cycle. The people posting things like "Dehumanize Yourself and Face to Bloodshed" as a reaction to Barr's press conference were one of the worst examples of that. Someone can always take a complicated news story, and "win" by posting a single line of Twitter leftism. Someone will probably write a book about Mueller's choices in this investigation, and there is a good case that Mueller should have been more aggressive. But the person posting "Mueller is a Republican Cop" is not making that case. But, right now on D&D, that person "wins".

Just stop closing your threads without notice.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

glowing-fish posted:

Oh hey, you're back. Are you willing to accept that the rest of us have actual opinions that might disagree with you from time to time, even though it's obvious to you that you're right about everything?

Or do you still think we're grinding to level up? Because I'm not bothering to engage with someone who thinks I'm just virtue posting for internet XP forum points.

Not everyone that wants to talk about material concerns of the people is saying "Dehumanize Yourself and Face to Bloodshed," of course, but if you pick out the most extreme arguments from the side you have a problem with, you definitely can make them look dumb and so goddamn crazy!

Also

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Just stop closing your threads without notice.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

glowing-fish posted:

Because at heart, one of the things that the Serious Adults Who Understand What Is Important are saying is that there are only two sides or factions to any issue, and only one thing can be important at once. Which is I believe the opposite thing that Serious Adults should believe. Yes, I am worried about Davenport, Iowa being underwater, and I also don't think the President should be getting money from AT&T to pay off his mistresses. Life doesn't come down to a single factor, and sometimes we have to think about more than one thing at once.

This complaint about people acting like they've got it all figured out would probably garner more sympathy coming from somebody who didn't also write things like this:

glowing-fish posted:

Not to brag or anything, but I have not lived in the United States since Trump was president, and sometimes I feel like I am looking in to an alternate time stream. I am Guinean here, telling you that there should be children on the Enterprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
Crossposting from the C-SPAM thread:

Slutitution posted:

LOL

https://twitter.com/cenkuygur/status/1126351043619577856

https://twitter.com/cenkuygur/status/1126357598028963840

Progressives in 2019: Trump realizing destroying Venezuela will be the end of his Presidency with his base somehow translates to DIRECT EVIDENCE of Tom Clancy Manchurian candidate bullshit. Does this fat gently caress even remember that Trump won the primaries in part because he was talking mad poo poo about the Bush family and neocon wars in general? Does he not remember the reaction his base had when he bombed Syria? It still amazes me how Trump can make supposedly smart people completely lose their minds like this. ffs Jimmy Dore left TYT just in time. TYT foreign policy positions have been loving awful for years now anyway.

It's truly remarkable to watch people dissolve into a fact-free reality with religious zeal like this. It's permissible to become Alex Jones as long as you have the "correct" narrative and politics. I'm curious as to what kind of investment Cenk is looking for here.

Slutitution fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 9, 2019