Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

bagual posted:

Bolso chickened out of a event in New York and now Bill de Blasio is dunking on him on twitter.

Chuds have proceeded to:
-Say de Blasio corrupt, leftist, the usual
-Propose boycotting NYC (lmao)

Lmao :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao

bagual posted:

Bolso chickened out of a event in New York and now Bill de Blasio is dunking on him on twitter.

Chuds have proceeded to:
-Say de Blasio corrupt, leftist, the usual
-Propose boycotting NYC (lmao)

Antifa gets the goods :yum:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/jairbolsonaro/status/1125231310442782720?s=20

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://twitter.com/icrinvel/status/1125235780052508674

"Now you don't have to get down (on your knees) to suck Trump's ballslololol"

kkkkkkkkkkkkkkk get hosed biroliro

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So how generally disastrously is he doing so far

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Jose posted:

Public colleges got budget cuts because of "unruly behavior" and a lot of them came out and said that they might have to stop their activities on September because of it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jose posted:

Also unemployment is pretty high (13M+), fuel prices and dollar value are reaching record levels under the Real. Meanwhile pension reform is still the only subject being treated as a priority, as it will magically solve all problems in the country.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Also the cops and the army, already a bloodthirty crew, are killing even more people with reckless abandon.

And by reckless abandon I mean "shooting a family car 80 times, murdering two people, laughing about it, and facing no consequence".

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

this is syphilitic madness, right?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Dias posted:

Public colleges got budget cuts because of "unruly behavior" and a lot of them came out and said that they might have to stop their activities on September because of it.

Aaand as much as he wanted to go "oh no, we don't need arts and philosophy, we need more stem types", it just means they're getting way less candidates in general, including from those fields.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

https://twitter.com/DamaresAlves/status/1119769878859218945

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lol Trump hosed us over and didn't recommended our entry to the OECD after Bolsonaro sucked his dick. Art of the deal, dummies!

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Lol Trump hosed us over and didn't recommended our entry to the OECD after Bolsonaro sucked his dick. Art of the deal, dummies!

They were so drat happy over this a month back and it was such an obvious lie, it's almost cute.

Like, "Huh, the guy who said he was a Wallet Inspector sure is taking a long time to come back with my wallet and cash, I guess he must be getting a reward for me since I'm such a good guy" levels of self-delusion.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I just heard on Portuguese TV about Brasil's new school military-aided regime.

It sounds to me like a poo poo idea, but have there been any incidents already? What are brazilian goons thoughts on this?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Plutonis posted:

Turns out America...sucks?? Its weird considering all their other very good foreign policy decisions

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Meallan posted:

It sounds to me like a poo poo idea, but have there been any incidents already? What are brazilian goons thoughts on this?

If it's the SIC one (which they hilariously tried to make it a good thing), it's supplanted by them hoping chud kids report to the military any sort of dissident conversation. Brazilian pals I know, understandably, have been somewhat silent on this.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plutonis posted:

drat owned lmao

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
bolso you're just the regional manager of the trump america brand in brazil, you loving good for nothing fascist piece of poo poo

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Meallan posted:

Are you talking about military schools or the military in government?

Military schools are worrying but they will never add a cent to education budget so stuff will probably not change much as in there being more of them, they'll just escape the cuts.

Meanwhile, the government keeps eating itself/farting
https://twitter.com/revistaforum/status/1126130006202232832

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I realize that this is kind of a "well, no poo poo" post, but it blows my mind how relatively poor Brazil is once adjusting for inequality.

It's nearly like living in a third world country. If Brazil had the will and consent, it could very well have near or at first world living standards, yet the country seems content and constantly shooting itself in the foot.

punk rebel ecks has issued a correction as of 16:53 on May 8, 2019

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Wow, so you're saying Brazil is a third-world country, huh? That never crossed my mind.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Plutonis posted:

Wow, so you're saying Brazil is a third-world country, huh? That never crossed my mind.

Okay I agree it was a bit hyperbolic, but going by IHDI, Brazil is only a notch or two above some African countries.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
The magnificent nation of Belindia (look it up)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

is Congress working with Bolso and entertaining his worst impulses, or are they telling him to eat poo poo too?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

get that OUT of my face posted:

is Congress working with Bolso and entertaining his worst impulses, or are they telling him to eat poo poo too?

The latter, but mostly because his chaotic party is not yet managing to negotiate the support of the big old dirty "center" parties (which means paying them)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
are his supporters still all in for him like trumps or are they starting to get disillusioned? i get its still a bit early to tell

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

The latter, but mostly because his chaotic party is not yet managing to negotiate the support of the big old dirty "center" parties (which means paying them)
is that because Bolso and his cronies don't want to be seen as more corrupt than they already are, or because they're so confident they feel like they don't need to?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Jose posted:

are his supporters still all in for him like trumps or are they starting to get disillusioned? i get its still a bit early to tell

Mostly I would say they are more fanatical than before. He lost a good chunk of his popularity already, but that among the ones who were not faithful bolsonaristas. His true fanbase seems strong as ever, now defending him fiercely agaisnt the "fakenews" and etc

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

Mostly I would say they are more fanatical than before. He lost a good chunk of his popularity already, but that among the ones who were not faithful bolsonaristas. His true fanbase seems strong as ever, now defending him fiercely agaisnt the "fakenews" and etc
so just like trump and his supporters. so much like us....

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

we’re not so different, you and US

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

Didn't the Centrão almost collapse last election though? Although I guess their remnant is still needed since PT and PSOL hold a big chunk of Congress.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
The only metric I have are my Brazilian cousins but they were stealth bolso fans ("lesser evil" discourse in public, but intense social media posts about him) and even bolso being all over trump and America does not seem to faze them. They're still talking how he's the one true hope, and I know one of my cousins hates Trump and thinks he's a ridiculous clown, and the other also hates him and hates American government even more (9/11 truther, even).

I dont know, I think once you support these far-right groups and/or populists, there's very little they can say or do that would break that support. In fact they go in even harder defending them, even if it's completely against your values. I think it might be that, if one is willing to compromise on some pretty basic values already, then they either never cared too much anyway or were just putting on a public front.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Regardless of support towards bolsonaro, he has been way too passive while different right wing factions are eating each other and that polarization might mean losing half of his supporters in one fell swoop if he ends up favoring any of them over the others. That's if the ever increasing military members of government don't just kick him out and we get another dictatorship

He can barely negotiate things in his own side

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Plutonis posted:

Didn't the Centrão almost collapse last election though? Although I guess their remnant is still needed since PT and PSOL hold a big chunk of Congress.

Some had to lose to give space to the new generation of opportunists that came with Bolsonaro but they are still strong

get that OUT of my face posted:

so just like trump and his supporters. so much like us....

Yep, with some differences, bolsonarism is essentially our tropical third world version of trumpism

Down to the support of things that barely make any sense in our national context, like anti immigration policies and unconditional support for Israel

Elias_Maluco has issued a correction as of 21:09 on May 8, 2019

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

nerdz posted:

He can barely negotiate things in his own side

Jesus, he really is "Tropical Trump".

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i can definitely see the military initiating a coup when they feel Bolso has overstayed his welcome, or they can use the "his health is failing" excuse

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Well, since there's talk of the military having its budget slashed by over 40% (could just be the usual false leaks so the government can walk it back in 2 days and say the media was spreading fake news), guess we'll see.

The armed forces have been gobbling positions in government at a prodigious pace. Pretty much every time a crazy new goober screws up, which is often, he gets replaced with some general or colonel. While that is great for the officers personally, the military institutions themselves are steadily corroded as they are increasingly weeded to a flailing government. Stayong outside of power and the media gave them an aura of honesty and competence for the last 25+ years, but it only takes a few catastrophes to toss all of that down the drain. Every drat week the Olavettes go another yard in making GBS threads on the military.

And if there's something the Army really doesn't take well, it's being mocked or seen as weak/ridiculous.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
If you had to choose between true believing Evangelicals, Olavo disciples, or the military... Has it really come to the military being the least bad?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

hoiyes posted:

If you had to choose between true believing Evangelicals, Olavo disciples, or the military... Has it really come to the military being the least bad?

Depends on which part of the military we're talking about.

Even during the dictatorship, the armed forces had at least three powerful factions that schemed against each other more or less openly and took turns on top of the pile. The ESG americanophiles who were all gung-ho about hunting invisible commies and getting the US to love us, the old guard 'Prussians' who flet the army had to just clean out the corrupt state and go back to the barracks, and the legalists mostly just tried to keep their head down and not jump into political shitstorms.

I've attended courses with military officers and they were very smart, realistic types, but the thing is, as much as they dislike the other factions, they will -burn the country down- before ever turning their backs of the bizarre and freaks in their midst. It's a thing across all armed forces, but even more pathological in Brazil.

Hell, the 1964 coup had basically stalled in its early hours for lack of support, until one loon general in the middle of nowhere decided to declare his command in rebellion, and then the others, even those who hated his guts and thought him a buffoon, all joined in after him because if they didn't the crazy guy would have lost and turned into a joke, and they could not let that happen to their beloved institution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Seems like that prize Bolsonaro could not receive in NY because nobody wante anything to do with him was transfered to Dallas, Texas

https://www1.folha.uol.com.br/mundo...ampaign=twfolha

With the help of George W Bush