Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
SubVERt eXPecTaTioNS!

Edit: New page reminder that they had TWO YEARS to release this season, in case anyone forgot! Also, how about that Starbucks cup?? And teleportation? Not in MY tits and dragons drama!

central dogma fucked around with this message at 12:23 on May 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Jon has pet and rode a loving dragon since the last time he's interacted with Ghost at all.

TheRat posted:

I honestly enjoyed the poo poo out of ep 1-3. I liked the outline of plot points in ep 4, but the way they executed it was absolutely dreadful. Everything was rushed and like checking off a list. They desperately needed a few more episodes to make it work.

Same. I have issues with the way they actually wrapped up the long night in episode 3 but still liked it quite a bit, it was exciting and tense and had some great scenes. Episode 2 is just great overall. This season has a long way to go before it's as bad as season 5.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

Same. I have issues with the way they actually wrapped up the long night in episode 3 but still liked it quite a bit, it was exciting and tense and had some great scenes. Episode 2 is just great overall. This season has a long way to go before it's as bad as season 5.

It all depends on the final two episodes really. If they're well done I can forgive ep 4 as a misstep while rushing towards where they needed to be. But they really need to get their acts together or the only thing people will remember is how they missed the landing spectacularly.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

romanowski posted:

this is pretty much what it was for me, it was a show that I had always been meaning to catch up on but didn't actually follow through on until the hype for the second half of season 5 got big and I knew all my friends would be watching it

:same:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Honestly even if the next few episodes are horrible, I'll probably still have fond memories of the show because of the costumes/sets and performances alone.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Crow Jane posted:

Honestly even if the next few episodes are horrible, I'll probably still have fond memories of the show because of the costumes/sets and performances alone.

Totally this. Even if Jaime and Brienne shagging cheapened their friendship, it gave us drunk Thormund crying to the Hound. Everyone might be calling Sansa super smart for no reason, but her costume is boss (note how the chain and loop subtly evokes both a Maesters chain and a Hand pin, positioning her as not seeking any power above Lady of Winterfell). The Bronn seem was dumb, but it's always nice to see the Lannister boys being bros.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

My best friend binged the whole show over the past month to catch up with this and I think that might have been the right approach, instead of what I did which was watch this poo poo in realtime weekly over the near-decade it spent airing :smith:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Chris James 2 posted:

My best friend binged the whole show over the past month to catch up with this and I think that might have been the right approach, instead of what I did which was watch this poo poo in realtime weekly over the near-decade it spent airing :smith:

There’s probably someone who got into this last month following tumblr gifs and short plot summaries who enjoys the show now way more than anyone else

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Totally this. Even if Jaime and Brienne shagging cheapened their friendship, it gave us drunk Thormund crying to the Hound. Everyone might be calling Sansa super smart for no reason, but her costume is boss (note how the chain and loop subtly evokes both a Maesters chain and a Hand pin, positioning her as not seeking any power above Lady of Winterfell). The Bronn seem was dumb, but it's always nice to see the Lannister boys being bros.

I want some of those epaulet/shoulder guard things Cersei wears. They'd look stupid as hell over my boring clothes, but whatever.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I guess I am in the minority, but I enjoyed the weird/dirty/goofy medieval props more than the high fashion, all black design we have now. Each house had it's own designs - with Ned wearing stained, brown stuff, the lannister having garish red and gold fancy clothes and so on. Knights is S1 used to have goofy, medieval helmets with animals and weird creatures - I had completely forgot the silly hound helmet the...Hound had, or the fabulous close helmet Loras Tyrell wears while jousting in S1.

I just wish they had left a bit more colours on the palette, I think Danaerys is the only one not wearing black 24/7 - ironic, considering her house colors are black and red <.<

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 13:31 on May 8, 2019

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

In the show Cersei's relatively stable rule is framed as people uniting against Dragonhitler and her rape horde. It's an underdeveloped plot point but I can believe it.

Also I liked The Sopranos' ending.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

That Italian Guy posted:

I guess I am in the minority, but I enjoyed the weird/dirty/goofy medieval props more than the high fashion, all black design we have now. Each house had it's own designs - with Ned wearing stained, brown stuff, the lannister having garish red and gold fancy clothes and so on. Knights is S1 used to have goofy, medieval helmets with animals and weird creatures - I had completely forgot the silly hound helmet the...Hound had, or the fabulous close helmet Loras Tyrell wears while jousting in S1.

I just wish they had left a bit more colours on the palette, I think Danaerys is the only one not wearing black 24/7 - ironic, considering her house colors are black and red <.<

bring back smug blonde Jaime

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I'm also a fan of the loose halter dress things Littlefinger's whores wore in the first few seasons. Those things look like they'd be comfy as hell to wear around the house in the summer.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Fellatio del Toro posted:

bring back smug blonde Jaime

Ya know, he coulda been a good Templeton Peck from the A Team

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Season 1 Loras Tyrell had so much pizzazz:

Ok, maybe some things are best left in the past:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/ringer/status/1126066744689332224

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That Italian Guy posted:

Nah that helmed ruled:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQvtycrQykY&t=206s

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Chris James 2 posted:

Lindsay Ellis (creator of a lot of great film criticism vids on youtube including the autopsy on the Hobbit trilogy) did a very good Twitter thread about this final season (no spoilers within)

https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1125921569698504704

as bad as this last episode was it's not like there was a big drop in quality between last season and this one. it's not been a steady decline post-season 4 - since 5 is probably the worst overall season - but even at its best since then it's been about mediocre.

That Italian Guy posted:

that helmet ruled. dark souls 2 has a similar one and it's the one i rocked.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Roland Jones posted:

I've said this before, but I think she works really well as Dany... When they give her good material to work with. Season 1 Dany, Dany sacking Astapor, some of the scenes this season, etc. But because they kind of had to sideline her for most of the series because her arriving in Westeros starts the endgame, and they can't just not have her around, she wound up doing a lot of nonsense that sounds like it wasn't great in the books and was mostly even worse in D&D's incapable hands. They needed less burning things, more times of her reflecting and ruling things in ways other than "do as I say or else", but they wanted her to be "tough" at pretty much all times. And because D&D are hacks who don't understand or like women as anything other than eye candy or "badasses", "tough" usually meant "threatening people and throwing a fit at any perceived challenge or slight". (Murdering the slavers and the ultra-rich was never wrong though.)
I wonder how you'd make Dany's rule in Meereen interesting. Basic issue as far as I can see is that it was basically just Dany's story, while any kind of King's Landing style intrigue needs to be several people's story. I'd probably elevate Missandei to a more prominent role, as the leader of the "Kill All Slavers" faction, while some old nostalgic fart like Barristan can be the leader of the "Let's not move too fast, maybe compromise a lot" faction. Jorah would be the "I'm just here to look longingly at Dany" faction. Tyrion could take over the "Let's compromise faction" when he gets there, while Varys could basically be working behind the scenes to test Dany to see if she's truly up to the task of ruling. Of course an important part I haven't mentioned yet is that they'd need more sets - the main characters need their own spaces to scheme and meet up, that fit their character - imagine if the King's Landing plot had all taken place within the Red Keep, instead of giving Baelish a whorehouse and the Tyrells a garden.

Aside from making the Dany parts more interesting, it'd also be a better setup for Missandei and Varys for season 7 and 8. Like, instead of Missandei simply supporting Dany because she saved her, make it obvious that she sees her as the best chance at ending slavery in the part of the world she knows about - Missandei basically having the greatest ambitions of anyone in the show, just not for herself, wanting Dany to conquer basically the known world and completely reform those societies. Of course if you wanted that story to breathe a bit you probably need a few more episodes...

TheRat posted:

Every episode so far has been 5-10 minutes or so shorter than what they announced in march or whenever it was. I feel like someone went ham in the cutting room last minute, causing us to lose a lot of context/detail.
HBO wanted more seasons of GoT to keep people subscribed, so they're gonna release a Director's Cut season 8 next year with fixed CGI, Jon petting Ghost, and all the cut scenes that make the episodes make sense.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

an skeleton posted:

Come on y'all. The absolute WORST these last 2 episodes can be, the floor on entertainment here, is stupid visceral high-budget spectacle with 2 handfuls of Cool Looking and/or Badass poo poo and probably at least 1 actually emotionally affective scene.

Nah gently caress that. The cgi is always bad and the sets are barren trash now. loving turning King’s Landing into a barren plain because that makes the upcoming horrible looking cgi shot of Jon’s army easier. And goddamn everyone has been dressed like an idiot for at least two seasons.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Chris James 2 posted:

Now imagine being one of the clowns who read the first Song of Ice and Fire book when it came out and has been following the series since then.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

HBO's biggest prior show, known for having notoriously unsatisfying ending, now with the levels of poo poo these D&D reached so far, I wouldn't be surprised. GRRM also said he loves Lost? RIP these last 2 episodes, may as well not watch.
It's gonna zoom in on Bran 30 mins in and last 30 minute fractal screen saver motage and they'll say it's a Kubric tribute.

The Sopranos had the greatest series finale ending of all time, and people still debate it. In the moment, the finale was stunning and confusing. If you watched the entire show and paid attention, the ending was faithful to the show’s tone and themes.

Will D&D get that?

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
The solution for the Dany plot is to just not introduce her until like season 4/5

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They could have just given her a smattering of appearances in the early seasons before launching her as a main character through some badassery

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

That Italian Guy posted:

Season 1 Loras Tyrell had so much pizzazz:

What?? That helmet is awesome.

Both helmets are awesome and just so well designed to match their characters.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the original mountain helmet was also way cooler than what they gave the giant teddy bear.

they should've given euron victarion's squid helmet.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Red posted:

The Sopranos had the greatest series finale ending of all time, and people still debate it. In the moment, the finale was stunning and confusing. If you watched the entire show and paid attention, the ending was faithful to the show’s tone and themes.

Will D&D get that?

Obviously not, they already hosed it up by killing the main threat in episode 3 without even explaining their motives or goals.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
remember the motorcycle guy in the sopranos finale?

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

kater posted:

Nah gently caress that. The cgi is always bad and the sets are barren trash now. loving turning King’s Landing into a barren plain because that makes the upcoming horrible looking cgi shot of Jon’s army easier. And goddamn everyone has been dressed like an idiot for at least two seasons.

Yeah uh, what the hell is going on with King's Landing? It was always lush and surrounded by greenery. Last episode it looked like when Dany and the horde was outside of Qarth (?) after she trudged through the Red Waste, begging to be let in.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's a metaphor for cersi also having short hair now.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that Kings landing set last episode was garbage.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

No Wave posted:

remember the motorcycle guy in the sopranos finale?

And all the strippers and customers watching.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I loved the Sopranos but couldn’t get through the B part of season 5 on either watch through and have thus never seen the finale. I kind of like the vague version I’ve put together from references more than anything it could really be, at this point. People should try that with GOT

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Everyone making GBS threads on this show now is wonderful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahoHDU0T44I

Oh man this video is :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqYeIk1uZGs

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 8, 2019

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

When was the last time the show remembered people existed outside of the immediate sphere of the relevant characters? There hasn’t even been any reference to the general population, five of the seven kingdoms and all their lords or anything else for ages. Like Cersei just snuffed out all politics when she blew up the sept

Kings Landing in the last couple episodes, besides having suffered from severe desertification, hasn’t felt like a city anymore, just a place for the red keep. I think the last regular people moment was the kid watching the Dothraki in the first episode

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Frog Act posted:

I loved the Sopranos but couldn’t get through the B part of season 5 on either watch through and have thus never seen the finale. I kind of like the vague version I’ve put together from references more than anything it could really be, at this point. People should try that with GOT

You gotta soldier through; the symbolism and Tony’s choices lay the groundwork for the final season. The whole Tony B situation is well done, and is very much in rhythm with Richie, Ralphie, Feech, and Phil.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Frog Act posted:

When was the last time the show remembered people existed outside of the immediate sphere of the relevant characters? There hasn’t even been any reference to the general population, five of the seven kingdoms and all their lords or anything else for ages.

Varys literally spent a good amount of time talking about which ruler would be better for common people and that they deserved food for their children etc in the last episode.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

TheRat posted:

Varys literally spent a good amount of time talking about which ruler would be better for common people and that they deserved food for their children etc in the last episode.

Varys freaking out because "tens of thousands" will die was hilariously lame. King's Landing has 1 million people. That's like 1% casualties. What the hell did he think was going to happen in a war?

Mammalian
Nov 9, 2011

Not just any Jesus Mammalian Jesus

Red posted:

You gotta soldier through; the symbolism and Tony’s choices lay the groundwork for the final season. The whole Tony B situation is well done, and is very much in rhythm with Richie, Ralphie, Feech, and Phil.

Agreed, to this day my top 3 TV shows are pretty much 1. Sopranos, 2. Twin Peaks, 3. The Wire, 4. True Detective.. That's more than 3 but I wanted to list true detective. Smart writing makes me happy and I don't think there's a tighter show than the sopranos. The variety in characters, all of the arcs, how it all comes together, it's a beautiful slice of life. And fun - too - it actually being a fun script makes it better, that's why (I'm sorry) The Wire isn't higher on that list, and barely edges out True Detective (just because TD is one season, season 2 didn't happen), I didn't find it as fun, especially not Season 2, it took a lot of effort to get through - it was a rollercoaster of "oh my god this is amazing" and "gah politics!", it made me feel stupid for not being more grown up :smuggo:

But I love Mad Men and Star Trek TNG which have a lot of politics too.. Maybe I'm just broken?

Game of Thrones has had those OH poo poo moments over and over again, but the last time was when Cersei blew up the sept, it was amazing, I didn't expect it at all and it kicked rear end. Wasn't as subtle as it probably will be in the books but nothing is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

SimonChris posted:

Varys freaking out because "tens of thousands" will die was hilariously lame. King's Landing has 1 million people. That's like 1% casualties. What the hell did he think was going to happen in a war?

Maybe he realized "Hey won't we just let Cersei be queen" because really why don't they just let Cersei be queen and don't have tens of thousands die? As long as you don't gently caress with her or her family, then she doesn't seem too bad. At least she's not trying to invade other continents like Dany is.