Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Iran threatened to close the straight of hormuz weeks ago if the US cut off it's ability to export oil. If push comes to shove, Trump would use that as a rational to justify starting another war over oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Would Trump dare issue the draft? Not that I'm draftable (narcolepsy), but I'd feel really bad if many people I know got pushed into service.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

Zipperelli. posted:

All I hear is drivers should drive because prices are gonna surge like no ones business. Got it.

This protest has Prisoner's Dilemma written all over it.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Grouchio posted:

Would Trump dare issue the draft? Not that I'm draftable (narcolepsy), but I'd feel really bad if many people I know got pushed into service.

Unless he plans to nuke Tehran, a draft of millions would be necessary to have a chance to decisively win a war with Iran.

Iran has 80 million people and is all mountains. Invading would be more like the plans for Operation Downfall than Overlord.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Charlz Guybon posted:

Unless he plans to nuke Tehran, a draft of millions would be necessary to have a chance to decisively win a war with Iran.

Iran has 80 million people and is all mountains. Invading would be more like the plans for Operation Downfall than Overlord.

I wish I could find that old post where someone explained this in profanity-laced detail with maps and pictures.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Grouchio posted:

If he does he'll catalyze the crystalization of the left like none other.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Instituting a draft would be political suicide that not even this smooth brained mother fucker can dodge unless invaders have landed on US shores or something. I forget what interview the quote came from but that line about "He's not hurting the right people" and the mentality it demonstrates means anyone currently on the MAGA train is gonna get off really, REALLY loving quick if they're suddenly doing inconvenient things like fighting and dying in a war.

That has an extremely direct and visceral line of cause and effect that would short circuit the normal right wing propaganda of things like, "No it's the dirty immigrants that took your job, not automation and capitalism." Trump makes draft, I'm getting shot at and killed, gently caress him.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Grouchio posted:

That would take a bit of the sting out of the trans military ban.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Zipperelli. posted:

All I hear is drivers should drive because prices are gonna surge like no ones business. Got it.

Do the drivers actually get more with surge pricing or does the company just pocket it?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Taerkar posted:

Do the drivers actually get more with surge pricing or does the company just pocket it?

They get more but not the entire difference from the base rate. The purpose of surge pricing is to smooth out shocks to the system by incentivizing driving and disincentivizing riding at times when demand outstrips supply.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

That would take a bit of the sting out of the trans military ban.

Trans people would still be drafted. They'd just go to military prisons for not complying.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Grouchio posted:

If Trump did that then either Republicans would support impeachment or they lose the senate in the next election.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Purges followed by conscription are bad.
e: "the next election." gently caress that, if civil society doesn't immediately collapse then he wins.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

haveblue posted:

They get more but not the entire difference from the base rate. The purpose of surge pricing is to smooth out shocks to the system by incentivizing driving and disincentivizing riding at times when demand outstrips supply.

Yeah, if I only turn on XL or BlackSUV I can make ridiculous money during surges, but it doesn't go up comparatively to what Uber skims off the top.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

EdithUpwards posted:

Purges followed by conscription are bad.
e: "the next election." gently caress that, if civil society doesn't immediately collapse then he wins.

Declaring a war and activating the draft would be almost shockingly normal by this presidents standards. There'd be no mass unrest over it, at least not any more than Nam

Well, not declaring obviously, you know what I mean.

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 7, 2019

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sanguinia posted:

Declaring a war and activating the draft would be almost shockingly normal by this presidents standards. There'd be no mass unrest over it, at least not any more than Nam

Well, not declaring obviously, you know what I mean.

You really don’t think there’d be serious levels of mass unrest if Trump re-instated the draft? I’m really not seeing why there wouldn’t be. Even the arm chair warriors who hoard guns and love the military are gonna freak out if Trump tries to force them to actually go into combat

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Hunt11 posted:

If Trump did that then either Republicans would support impeachment or they lose the senate in the next election.

Ehhh, they'd just set up the rules of the draft to avoid any rich white kids from having to fight.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Niwrad posted:

Ehhh, they'd just set up the rules of the draft to avoid any rich white kids from having to fight.

his base isn't the rich

reminding the resentful white masses that they are nothing but cannon fodder, just like the rest of the proles (the ones with melanin), would be political suicide

predicto fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 8, 2019

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

predicto posted:

his base isn't the rich

reminding the resentful white masses that they are nothing but cannon fodder, just like the rest of the proles (the ones with melanin), would be political suicide

Not the poor either. His base is middle to upper middle class whites.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

predicto posted:

his base isn't the rich

Republicans have been feeding their base poo poo sandwiches for decades and their base keeps begging for more. Why would this be different?

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Sanguinia posted:

I don't know about that. The US has become far more casualty-averse and far less trusting/jingoistic than during 'Nam. Iran would be a much a larger cash sink than Iraq (5 trillion and counting) and result in significantly more body bags. Its more likely that a truly protracted war would sink the US both economically and politically.

Imagine the kinds of Vietnam-level casualties today: 58, 000 dead and well... probably more than 300, 000 wounded. That's going to drive some rioting.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Don’t forget that the male-only draft is currently unconstitutional, though I’m sure those SCOTUS shitheads would take it up real quick if Trump decided to gently caress that particular horse.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

There's a big difference between doing something that ~40 percent of the country agrees with vs. ~20 percent, which is about where the draft is. Even if Trump wanted to do it, we'd get a repeat of the end of the last government shutdown where he was still saying crazy poo poo on Twitter and Republicans basically ignored him because the political will was gone.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I've been randomly checking Lyft prices and they seem pretty normal?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I'd always heard that the military doesn't want the draft back either; not only is it bad PR, it costs a lot to train a soldier/sailor/airperson/Marine these days, and they'd rather not waste it on someone who doesn't even want to be there.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
A draft 'works' if you're just pushing bodies into a meatgrinder with a gun that fails more often than it works, but modern warfare isn't that.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Megillah Gorilla posted:

A draft 'works' if you're just pushing bodies into a meatgrinder with a gun that fails more often than it works, but modern warfare isn't that.
WW1 would like to have a talk with you.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Grouchio posted:

WW1 was pre-modern warfare waged with modern weapons.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Selachian posted:

I'd always heard that the military doesn't want the draft back either; not only is it bad PR, it costs a lot to train a soldier/sailor/airperson/Marine these days, and they'd rather not waste it on someone who doesn't even want to be there.

Volunteer armies are almost always provably more motivated and competent than conscripted ones. That concept loses meaning during existential warfare, however.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Course it also means your army is 100% staffed with bloodthirsty chuds, but y’know

“Motivated”, potayto potahto

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Grouchio posted:

That was literally over a century ago now.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Data Graham posted:

Course it also means your army is 100% staffed with bloodthirsty chuds, but y’know

Motivated to kill good, yes. That's their job. Don't have an army if you don't plan to use them to kill people. You can also make an argument that it should be a "People's Army" that builds civic indoctrination/pride, but there are a variety of issues associated with that (indoctrination, jingoism/militarism, low morale, wasting several years of someone's life, cost, etc).

P.S. I would prefer an absence of armies, but that's not going to happen anytime soon. :(

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Data Graham posted:

The officer corps is full of chuds. Enlisted personnel are a cross section of working and middle class America for reasons I'd have thought would be obvious.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The officer corps is full of chuds. Enlisted personnel are a cross section of working and middle class America for reasons I'd have thought would be obvious.

I thought it was only the air force that was really bad and the other officer corps were much more varied.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Crossposting this because I think it's beautiful:

Donald Trump has responded angrily to reports his businesses recorded more than $1bn in losses, explaining they did so to avoid paying tax.

Why, that sounds totally normal and legal.

Let's see what he has to say about that onTwitter:

Tax nerds at reddit are already going over his tax statements.

quote:

His claimed losses for one year between '85 and '94 was 1% of the entire country's losses.

He claimed 52.9 million in interest income in one of those years. He would have needed over 300 million to generate that interest at the same time as he was claiming giant losses.

I think the most astonishing thing about all this is that r/politics is 100% calling Trump a fraud and idiot.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Hunt11 posted:

I thought it was only the air force that was really bad and the other officer corps were much more varied.

I think that in most military systems it goes from the navy as the most liberal to the airforce as the most conservative.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Niwrad posted:

Republicans have been feeding their base poo poo sandwiches for decades and their base keeps begging for more. Why would this be different?

because FYGMs actually care about their own kids

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://twitter.com/USATODAY/status/1125891810595954688

Go gently caress yourself USA Today

Also, Ride sharing, personal Grooming, "cable," and food are not "nonessentials."

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
As a tax nerd that independent article's description of Trump's depreciation argument is very bad and actually seems to be somewhat supportive of Trump's bullshit argument.

Even i you depreciate all your costs of acquisition in a single year, you're still making a loss and the theoretical increase in land value does absolutely nothing for you as long as you don't realize that increase by selling the asset. Trump's basically just conceding that he is terrible at business (or it's some kind of shady 80s/90s structuring, but then the question would be where the money actually ended up).

Randler fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Anora posted:

https://twitter.com/USATODAY/status/1125891810595954688

Go gently caress yourself USA Today

Also, Ride sharing, personal Grooming, "cable," and food are not "nonessentials."

The real question is how is the average American spending $94 a month on shitbox subscriptions? I know zero people with any of those subscriptions.

I'm assuming that there's some kind of $20k a month "Random Plunder Crate" that helps shift that number way up.

Edit: Random Plunder Crate™ is now a trademark of Random Stranger, LLC. No one plunder my idea.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 8, 2019