Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

This also seems similar to that one time that the Iranians captured a US boat and the usual suspects were crowing about them not lighting up their captors because Obama is weak or some poo poo. In retrospect that was probably the last major push for war from the Right and that didn't really take off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-..._source=twitter

quote:

“We talked to them about the importance of Iraq ensuring that it’s able to adequately protect Americans in their country,” Pompeo told reporters after meeting Iraqi Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi

You might have heard Pompeo cancelled his trip to Germany rather suddenly. He went to instead Iraq and discuss particular subject.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I just binged through the TV series Last Resort which featured "President Bolton" (never actually shown on camera) cooking up a false flag reason to preemptively nuke Pakistan in the first episode. (he and his administration were the villains by the way, and the main characters on a nuclear sub refused the order)

I appreciated that they named the president Bolton but I was kind of hoping that we wouldn't get non-president Bolton causing a nuclear war in real life with a different country

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Brown Moses posted:

We've just launched a new Yemen project at Bellingcat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv6Nx6eHO3o

This video seems to really soft sell the extent of the atrocities. You lead in with an equivocation between both sides, you only vaguely allude to the intentional starvation campaign and seem to skip past the most disturbing detail of all, which is the active support the American military is providing to the Saudi air force. Someone getting all their information on the conflict from this video would probably walk away with the impression that the role of the American government was much more incidental than it actually is and would be left with the impression that the biggest problem is private companies ignoring international law.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

V. Illych L. posted:

so, about ur foreign policy players atm

I don't think you understand what we're talking about.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008
There's a good chance that the Gulf of Tonkin incident didn't even happen. There's no hard evidence (no original logs) that the Vietnamese fired those torpedoes or had any motive to do so.

e: Looks like its more accurate to say that the US fired on the Vietnamese first in the first attack (at which point the Vietnamese retaliated), and it was the second attack that was just completely fabricated. My mistake.

Pembroke Fuse fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 8, 2019

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

Our aim is once we've got the processes for archiving and investigation running smoothly we'll package them up so they can be deployed internally to other situations, and shared with other organisations who want to do the same sort of investigation. We've already got a lot of interest from various NGOs work on Yemen and advocacy work for using the information, hopefully in the long term we'll be able to show them how to do it themselves. The idea is we start doing this from day one of a conflict, not year 5.

I hope this can be extended outside of Europe, to the US and Canada.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Helsing posted:

This video seems to really soft sell the extent of the atrocities. You lead in with an equivocation between both sides, you only vaguely allude to the intentional starvation campaign and seem to skip past the most disturbing detail of all, which is the active support the American military is providing to the Saudi air force. Someone getting all their information on the conflict from this video would probably walk away with the impression that the role of the American government was much more incidental than it actually is and would be left with the impression that the biggest problem is private companies ignoring international law.

It's because the initial phase is focused on arms export agreements, and proving they've been violated, which then can lead to direct action in UK and US courts. The aim of the video is not to give an overview of the entire conflict, but what the project is initially focused on. We have to prioritise the limited resources we have on investigations that are going to have the most impact, and currently they're most effectively used in documenting the approximately 100 airstrikes that will form the basis of the legal actions that will be taken. Fortunately we've already had a lot of interest from funders, so we should be able to grow the project fairly rapidly, and that will allow us to cover more incidents and different aspects of the conflict. Keep in mind we're not just only fundraising around the investigations, but we also need to cover legal costs for bringing the cases, plus the physical infrastructure needed to archive the material we collect. We also have to consider a lot of security issues, because we doubt the Saudi coalition are going to take things lying down, and that also needs to be funded from somewhere. Fortunately we just received half a million Euros from the Dutch Postcode Lottery, and that, along with the money we've raised from workshops, is currently covering costs while we get other funders lined up.

Pembroke Fuse posted:

I hope this can be extended outside of Europe, to the US and Canada.

We're hoping that will be the case, we've already got really good relationships with a lot of US based NGOs, so it's mainly a matter of getting to a point where it's deployable and we have the resources available to deploy it to other organisations. Based on the current response I think we'll have organisations lining up to use the data or deploy the process at their own organisation.

Here's GLAN's Twitter thread on the project that gives more context:

https://twitter.com/GLAN_LAW/status/1126067947196309504
https://twitter.com/GLAN_LAW/status/1126067951390679040
https://twitter.com/GLAN_LAW/status/1126067956088279040
https://twitter.com/GLAN_LAW/status/1126067961217867777

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 8, 2019

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

OhFunny posted:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-..._source=twitter

You might have heard Pompeo cancelled his trip to Germany rather suddenly. He went to instead Iraq and discuss particular subject.

Iraq should tell him to gently caress off immediately and take our troops with him after Trump's pardon of a service member who murdered an Iraqi prisoner. I guess maybe we'd slap them with sanctions if they did that, but how many oil exporting countries can we sanction before the world tells us to gently caress off?

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 8, 2019

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/joshrogin/statu...ingawful.com%2F

Trump's turning the screws even tighter.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

The US is starting a war of aggression. Contact your congresspeople, I don't know what else there is to do.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
TBH this could just be more posturing and horseshit. This administration talks a lot about global intervention but the execution up to now has been mostly halfassed and noncommittal where it hasn't been outright inept.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

guidoanselmi posted:

The US is starting a war of aggression. Contact your congresspeople, I don't know what else there is to do.

are things really that bad? I can't even imagine what the point of a war would be. Then again, I have a hard time understanding the point of sanctions right now too.

I've heard that the sanctions have hit Iran's economy pretty bad. Besides make Trump look tough they seem to accomplish no higher strategic goal. Although maybe the immiseration of Iranians is itself enough for the Republican foreign policy establishment.

also, I read this article recently and thought it was interesting to see how the SDF and Syrian govenment are cooperating economically. Also I'm not surprised about the discontent among Arabs, though I wonder how far it could go.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/05/arab-residents-rally-kurdish-rule-syria-deir-az-zor-190508061316059.html

quote:

Arab inhabitants of Syria's Deir Az Zor have begun the third week of protests against Kurdish rule, according to residents and tribal figures.
. . .
The forcible conscription of youths into the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) and the fate of thousands imprisoned in their jails have been major bones of contention, according to residents and tribal figures.

"Their repressive rule has turned many against them," said Abdul Latif al-Okaidat, a tribal leader.

"No to the theft of our oil," chanted demonstrators in the town of Greinej, part of the Arab-Sunni tribal heartland seized more than a year ago by the United States-backed SDF and spearheaded by the Kurdish YPG armed group.

The YPG has long sold crude oil to the Syrian government of President Bashar al-Assad, with whom it maintains close economic ties and exports wheat and other commodities through several crossings between their territory.

Syria's army retakes Deir Az Zor city from ISIL (02:06)
The stepping up of oil sales to alleviate a fuel crunch facing Damascus has infuriated the local Arab protesters, with many placards saying they were being "robbed" of their wealth.

"We are deprived of everything while the Kurds are selling our oil to help the regime and enriching themselves," said Abdullah Issa, a protester from al Tayaneh town.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 9, 2019

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Squalid posted:

are things really that bad? I can't even imagine what the point of a war would be. Then again, I have a hard time understanding the point of sanctions right now too.

I've heard that the sanctions have hit Iran's economy pretty bad. Besides make Trump look tough they seem to accomplish no higher strategic goal. Although maybe the immiseration of Iranians is itself enough for the Republican foreign policy establishment.

John Bolton has an even dumber ear to whisper into now, so I'd say things aren't going to go well.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Squalid posted:

are things really that bad? I can't even imagine what the point of a war would be.

I suppose given Trump admires dictators so much, he could be like: "If we're in a war, I'll totally up my chances of getting re-elected with all the fist-pumping headlines of US military killing evil Iranians abroad." The first year or 2 of a war everyone's all hyped and poo poo, then the hangovers kick in a few years down the line when Trump's already been re-elected. Or I dunno, I imagine that's how a dumbfuck like Bolton could've sold it to him. That and 'Do more favors for Saudis, cuz you love em!'

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Willie Tomg posted:

TBH this could just be more posturing and horseshit. This administration talks a lot about global intervention but the execution up to now has been mostly halfassed and noncommittal where it hasn't been outright inept.

Saudi Arabia has been almost single-mindedly gearing up for a war with Iran and they are immensely influential with the Trump regime rn. Moreover a bunch of traditional Iran hawks are in power in the US and they are aware that the window to attack Iran closes more every day. All the investigations into Trump have escalated into headlines about constitutional crisis and the RWM spin-machine is in overdrive right now so any diversion whatsoever would be welcomed.

There're more reasons to think that they'll start something now than really at any point in the past that I can remember.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'd still be pretty surprised if we attack Iran out of the blue, but we're doing everything we can to goad them into giving us a casus belli. I don't think the current administration is above a Gulf of Tonkin incident, but I do think they'd have to provide some pretty convincing evidence since they'd face a more skeptical press than Bush faced (even if the media are generally still far too credulous about taking cues from the administration when it comes to foreign policy), at a time when the public wants nothing to do with yet another war in the Middle East (which is part of why Trump beat Bush), and there's not a lot of evidence that they could pull off something on that scale without it leaking immediately. I don't think Trump particularly wants war either--when he personally talks about Iran, it's often to brag about how sanctions have already had a huge impact in weakening them, seemingly reducing the need for other action. I just think he's surrounded himself with subordinates and Saudi and Israeli allies who are considerably more hawkish on the issue, and he's too checked out to realize how that's dangerous.

Edit: See here:

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1126286257120788480

This kind of push/pull between Bolton pushing for conflict and Trump pulling him back has also obviously been evident in North Korea. You don't get points for reining in the insanely bloodthirsty adviser you put in a position to do harm yourself, but there are reasons to think he'll back off from a full scale war.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 9, 2019

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
The biggest danger with Trump has always been that he's an unprincipled idiot with zero ability to see how brash action can spiral out of control into something deadly. So yea, let's say I'm less than optimistic that pissbaby won't buckle under sustained Israeli + Saudi + Bolton pressure. I hope I'm wrong tho.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Conspiratiorist posted:

Bolton is totally trying to pull off his own Gulf of Tonkin, baiting Iran into responding to provocations by inflicting American casualties.

Think you might be misconceiving the Gulf of Tonkin incident. The Vietnamese never fired. The US made it up.

e: Should have kept reading the thread.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The CIA and Department of Defense have managed to create a new munition that both reduces collateral damage, and is somehow more horrifying:

https://twitter.com/Charles_Lister/status/1126471340175831040

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

The CIA and Department of Defense have managed to create a new munition that both reduces collateral damage, and is somehow more horrifying:

While you were partying, I studied the blade.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The number of towns and villages the regime has captured in recent days in northern Hama seems to be growing. Last time they had a major offensive, when they captured the eastern third of Idlib, they overwhelmed the rebels by attacking on multiple fronts, so the rebels were never able to establish a solid front line (which was obviously a problem given the regime's airpower dominance anyway). It's unclear how far they're going to take this, but Turkey's relative silence so far suggests to me that there's an understanding in place that probably means it won't be an all out invasion of Idlib. I guess we'll find out pretty soon either way, since some of the territory recently captured is right on the border of Idlib province.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Brown Moses posted:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Brown Moses posted:

This is a really dumb joke.

Also lol @ more horrifying.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
How is it a joke? Not exploding everything around a target would potentially preserve intelligence to be recovered. There are probably a multitude of other benefits that not using high explosives could provide.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Also not a joke in that it's real and has been used to kill people already.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I suspect this isn't the other new Hellfire they're using, there's been a couple of airstrikes in Syria where the remains of Hellfire were recovered with a weight marking for 52kg, which from what I can find doesn't match with any of the weights of Hellfire missile currently known to the public. This appears to be one example where the new Hellfire with blades on has been used:

https://twitter.com/Charles_Lister/status/835942701665304576

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Squalid posted:

also, I read this article recently and thought it was interesting to see how the SDF and Syrian govenment are cooperating economically. Also I'm not surprised about the discontent among Arabs, though I wonder how far it could go.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/05/arab-residents-rally-kurdish-rule-syria-deir-az-zor-190508061316059.html
The situation with the SDF selling oil to the regime is a really interesting look into SDF-SAA relations, and it's also interesting in that there's not really anything the locals can do about the situation other than continuing to protest.

The locals would be in the same (if not worse) situation if they were under regime control, since the regime still needs oil for the fuel crunch; any potential deal with the regime would just be the same as what's happening now but with a significantly greater chance of the locals being shot and killed while protesting.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Brown Moses posted:

Someone at the CIA/DoD has been watching too many magnus bullhead youtube videos

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
It exists, and it’s because the CEP of an inert Hellfire was deemed too big to hit a person sized target reliably. Enter knife missile.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1126958919228772352?s=19

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1126883619165831168?s=19

Further escalation.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

quote:

Yemen's Houthi rebels are preparing to withdraw from a key strategic port, in the first major step since a ceasefire agreement signed in December.

Both the Houthis and government forces agreed to withdraw from Hudaydah port to allow in vital humanitarian aid.

That process finally began on Saturday, with signs that Houthi forces were pulling back. The withdrawal was expected to take four days in total.

At least 6,800 civilians have died in Yemen's four-year civil war.

Some 10,700 more have been injured in the fighting, according to the United Nations, and many thousands more have died from preventable causes such as malnutrition, disease and poor health.

The UN's Special Envoy for Yemen, Martin Griffiths, told the BBC the withdrawal was a "first step".

"We have still got a job to do to make sure the government of Yemen is eventually happy with it," he said. "I'm hopeful, but it's a fragile vessel."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-48237445

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Just a military commander casually dropping by a neocon think tank to talk about how bad Iran is:

https://twitter.com/FDD/status/1126273623948447749

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"Please look away while Turkey and Saudi Arabia are pumping billions of dollars into jihadist groups, and please ignore that the USA have been turning countries into devastated war zones for the last 30 years, please completely ignore Israel's expansionism against Lebanon, Syria and Egypt and their stubborn refusal to stop the festering of Palestine. It's Iran who's bad, I tell you! Iran!"

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It looks like the Belgian Arms project Bellingcat was part of might actually have an impact:

quote:

Belgian foreign minister calls for halt to Saudi arms shipments
Belgian leaders are considering suspending arms sales to Saudi Arabia, after an investigation revealed that they had been used in the ongoing war in Yemen.

Belgian-made rifles, turrets and ammunition are being used by Saudi forces in Yemen in their four-year war against Houthi rebels, according to an investigation by a consortium which includes Bellingcat and the NGO BelgianArms, published in Belgium daily Le Soir.

Responding to the report, Foreign Minister Didier Reynders told public radio RTBF he believed "it would be good to suspend arms deliveries to Saudi Arabia" if it were shown they had been used "in an ongoing conflict, such as in Yemen," in which case he said the regional Walloonian government "must" take that decision.

The arms were sold by two companies based in Wallonia -  Mecar in Nivelles and FN Herstal in Herstal, Liege - with the export licence granted on condition the arms would only be deployed within Saudi Arabia.

We've been involved with several of these projects across the EU, revealing similar violations of arms export agreements, so hopefully more countries will follow suit.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

UAE says four vessels subjected to 'sabotage' near Fujairah port

quote:

DUBAI (Reuters) - Four commercial vessels were targeted by “sabotage operations” near the territorial waters of the United Arab Emirates without causing casualties, the foreign ministry said on Sunday, without giving details of the nature of the sabotage.

This is so stupid and transparent.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Brown Moses posted:

It looks like the Belgian Arms project Bellingcat was part of might actually have an impact:

We've been involved with several of these projects across the EU, revealing similar violations of arms export agreements, so hopefully more countries will follow suit.

accursed CIA asset Brown Moses, plotting to... weaken Saudi Arabia and their war in Yemen?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It's all part of my cunning plan to trick people to think we were against the war all along:

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1125423409519910912

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
I have one question. If the sub-national Walloon government is making decisions about international arms deals with no sign-off from the national government, is the national government really still a sovereign government anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1127779159365816322

Gulf of Tonkin v2.0 incoming. Rev up those sabres and get rattlin' everyone.