Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Dadliest Worrier posted:

Right on! Be sure to ask for advice in the BMW thread if you get into the market for an F30. I know a decent amount, Paradoxish knows a lot more, and there are some other knowledgeable F30 owners in there as well.

And if you go with a G20, I'm sure it'll be a great car, too. It's not like there's a bad choice here, just a cheaper one and a more expensive one. If the F30 does it for you, that's great, and if not, and you can afford a G20, it does have some cool new poo poo.

Where am I saving money? On the purchase, maintenance or both?

Also on my second call with the sales guy he strongly encouraged me to lease the G20. It almost felt like he didn’t want me to buy it. This scared me a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Kraftwerk posted:

Also on my second call with the sales guy he strongly encouraged me to lease the G20. It almost felt like he didn’t want me to buy it. This scared me a little.

Purchase, you can get F30s in excellent shape for cheap.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

On the purchase, absolutely. On maintenance, very likely.

Most new BMWs are leased. I assume he was pushing you towards a lease because he's incentivized to do so.

edit: To clarify, a new G20 will have a warranty, so for a while your maintenance costs will be built into the purchase price. You can still get CPO F30s under warranty, too, but it'll be shorter, obviously. You can also buy an extended warranty when you buy a CPO car. I didn't buy one when I got mine, and my ongoing maintenance costs were less than the warranty was, but it could've gone the other way. I'd probably buy the warranty if I were doing it again. It's kind of unknown territory right now, but it's a safe bet that a first-year G20 will have higher maintenance costs than an LCI F30, so once that warranty is done, there's a good chance the G20 will cost more.

Steely Dad fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 7, 2019

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

drgitlin posted:

Most fun of all would be a Giulia Ti (again, RWD with the mechanical limited slip diff). But I'm yet to meet anyone brave enough to take that suggestion.

Gotta wait a 10-20 years for the AI enthusiasts to take that plunge.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Zorak of Michigan posted:

The HUD issue is huge. Until they come up with some sort of standard API for CarPlay and Android Auto to publish their navigation cues to a HUD, the built-in nav for cars with that equipment is going to look pretty good. I'm not holding my breath for that API, either.

Sorry to drag this up from five pages ago, but the 10th-gen Accord (Touring since it has the HUD) already does this. The HUD pops up the next turn direction when you're about a mile and a half from the turn and it has a decreasing distance indicator showing when the turn will be (also the name of the street). There was a period where the Waze turns didn't have the decreasing indicator (everything showed as "in 0 feet") and only Google Maps showed it properly, but they fixed that at some point a few months ago, presumably through an Android Auto or Waze app update since the car didn't get any updates.

No idea on whether it does it with Carplay, or on any other cars' ability to do this, but it was not something I was expecting and was blown away by since I agree that having it is pretty critical especially on trips where you haven't been to the destination before. And for me AA is a killer feature for having Waze on the big screen rather than a tiny phone screen (also keeps the dashboard looking clean without a phone mount). I use it all the time for commuting, both for Waze's ability to route you on random-loving-rear end streets ("where the gently caress am I, where the gently caress am I, what the gently caress are you doing Waze this is the middle of nowh--oh, I'm HERE at that intersection, oh so that's where the other street in that intersection comes from"), and for cop/accident notifications.

Plugging in the phone is annoying, agreed, but hopefully they'll get the wireless AA working with nav sometime soon. In the meantime, the slight inconvience is totally worth it for the improvements over built-in nav.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Dadliest Worrier posted:

On the purchase, absolutely. On maintenance, very likely.

Most new BMWs are leased. I assume he was pushing you towards a lease because he's incentivized to do so.

edit: To clarify, a new G20 will have a warranty, so for a while your maintenance costs will be built into the purchase price. You can still get CPO F30s under warranty, too, but it'll be shorter, obviously. You can also buy an extended warranty when you buy a CPO car. I didn't buy one when I got mine, and my ongoing maintenance costs were less than the warranty was, but it could've gone the other way. I'd probably buy the warranty if I were doing it again. It's kind of unknown territory right now, but it's a safe bet that a first-year G20 will have higher maintenance costs than an LCI F30, so once that warranty is done, there's a good chance the G20 will cost more.

gently caress. If I don’t like the F30 I’m gonna wait a bit. This isn’t an easy thing.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

kimbo305 posted:

Gotta wait a 10-20 years for the AI enthusiasts to take that plunge.

Lightly used 2017 Giulia Tis are already down to mid $20K asking prices lol

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

incels interlinked posted:

Lightly used 2017 Giulia Tis are already down to mid $20K asking prices lol

I considered it for a hot second, but if I'm gonna spend $20K on an Alfa it will be a really nice GTV6

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Sorry to drag this up from five pages ago, but the 10th-gen Accord (Touring since it has the HUD) already does this. The HUD pops up the next turn direction when you're about a mile and a half from the turn and it has a decreasing distance indicator showing when the turn will be (also the name of the street). There was a period where the Waze turns didn't have the decreasing indicator (everything showed as "in 0 feet") and only Google Maps showed it properly, but they fixed that at some point a few months ago, presumably through an Android Auto or Waze app update since the car didn't get any updates.

No idea on whether it does it with Carplay, or on any other cars' ability to do this, but it was not something I was expecting and was blown away by since I agree that having it is pretty critical especially on trips where you haven't been to the destination before. And for me AA is a killer feature for having Waze on the big screen rather than a tiny phone screen (also keeps the dashboard looking clean without a phone mount). I use it all the time for commuting, both for Waze's ability to route you on random-loving-rear end streets ("where the gently caress am I, where the gently caress am I, what the gently caress are you doing Waze this is the middle of nowh--oh, I'm HERE at that intersection, oh so that's where the other street in that intersection comes from"), and for cop/accident notifications.

Plugging in the phone is annoying, agreed, but hopefully they'll get the wireless AA working with nav sometime soon. In the meantime, the slight inconvience is totally worth it for the improvements over built-in nav.

I think when I was doing some research I found that VW could put directions from Android Auto into the driver's digital dash. So, some sort of secondary display functionality seems to be baked into the SDK.

AA is pretty good about working with the car. For example, if it has factory Nav, it will actually use the car's GPS receiver and the car's speed data as part of the fused location service. So, you get a stronger GPS lock and there's better inertial navigation when GPS signal is lost.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 7, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I considered it for a hot second, but if I'm gonna spend $20K on an Alfa it will be a really nice GTV6

You missed the boat on that one, paco.

$20k gets you a rusty shitbox now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Powershift posted:

You missed the boat on that one, paco.

$20k gets you a rusty shitbox now.

A pretty well sorted balocco went for like 22k on BaT, I think the markets still in the high teens for decent ones.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

drgitlin posted:

I actually agree a lot with this. For example, I actually ended up preferring the A4 to an S5 Sportback, which is insane because I adore Sportbacks. (The new A7 was no such disappointment). You can't (and shouldn't) be driving near a car's limit on the public roads these days, but that's not to say you can enjoy driving.

Though I will say I really enjoyed the SQ5 lifted hatchback version. So much so I may just pick one up over a GLC or Stelvio.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Honda e Is the Name for Honda's Adorable New Rear-Wheel-Drive EV Hatchback

:3:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

The E46 experience, from my point of view, having lived it: It's beautiful and perfect to look at, the best car ever made. It's wheels are in the right spots and the proportions and lines are so clean and so balanced. It's interior is spartan and comfortable. It's wonderful to drive and the engine sounds like angels singing at wide open throttle. It rides smooth on rough pavement and sharpens up when you want it to corner.

It's beautiful and perfect and it's always broken in some way all the time

E46: The Best Car to drive, The Worst Car to own.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

BloodBag posted:

It's interior is spartan and comfortable.

I have come to the conclusion that the E46 had the best 3-series interior and that it's not even close. I've never driven an E30 so I can't compare to that, but I've spent a decent amount of time in E36s, I owned two E46s, I owned an E90 for a short period, I currently own an F30, and I've spent some time test driving a G20.

Everything after the E46 just clearly feels way cheaper. It's not like the interiors are getting worse or anything, because I don't find the F3x to be worse than the E9x or the G20 to be worse than an F3x. It's just that the E46 was better than all of them. It also likes to fall apart, but when things aren't disintegrating it just feels like a premium, high-quality car in the way that newer 3-series don't. It's a shame too, because I think the interior quality is part of what makes the E46 feel like more than the sum of its parts.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Missed opportunity for a Capcom tie in tbh...

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Missed opportunity for a Capcom tie in tbh...

Only if his face markings are an optional decal package for it.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Find is strange that no company names their electric car Evee

Like that bot from the Pixar movie

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

just have an e46 and loving pay a mechanic for everything and live your best life

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Infinotize posted:

just have an e46 and loving pay a mechanic for everything and live your best life

Or - buy a good car. :smug:

Standard E46s don't even have a limited slip - it's a travesty

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

See, everyone is too scared.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

BloodBag posted:

The E46 experience, from my point of view, having lived it: It's beautiful and perfect to look at, the best car ever made. It's wheels are in the right spots and the proportions and lines are so clean and so balanced. It's interior is spartan and comfortable. It's wonderful to drive and the engine sounds like angels singing at wide open throttle. It rides smooth on rough pavement and sharpens up when you want it to corner.

It's beautiful and perfect and it's always broken in some way all the time

E46: The Best Car to drive, The Worst Car to own.

The Giulia is this car's spiritual successor. And might even break down a bit less frequently. Maybe.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

drgitlin posted:

i am so scared of maintenance and unreliability that i am interested in something that is even more of a maintenance headache and even less reliable?

the problem with the Giulia is that it isn't scary enough, friend

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i am so scared of maintenance and unreliability that i am interested in something that is even more of a maintenance headache and even less reliable?

the problem with the Giulia is that it isn't scary enough, friend

That just means you have to buy two!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Lord Stimperor posted:

Find is strange that no company names their electric car Evee

Like that bot from the Pixar movie

That was EVE.
Wonder if Eevee is trademarked by Pokemon.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

drgitlin posted:

When I’m ready to get rid of the M2 in a few years a quadrifoglio will be at the very top of my list if Alfa still exists in America and the cars have proven to explode at only a moderate rate.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://jalopnik.com/mazda-challenges-bmw-and-mercedes-shames-toyota-with-d-1834636620

:shlick:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
i want the world to revolt against this push to V6s and V8s and bring back inline 6s and V12s

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Beat me to it. I can't wait to see this.

:awesome:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, 2028 is gonna be lit

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Powershift posted:

Yeah, 2028 is gonna be lit

In the 90s, Mazda was going to build a W12 sedan called the Amati 1000.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

As if we're all still going to be alive in 2028.

In a different note, it seems like every single long term test of the CTR has had at least one or more destroyed tires in less than a year. Can this 19" wheel tend die already? The streets are post apocalyptic hellscapes, some sidewall is needed.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 9, 2019

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

0% chance that makes it to production. :toxx:

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Beat me to it. I can't wait to see this.

:awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T6tL0UdmY4&t=85s

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

bull3964 posted:

As if we're all still going to be alive in 2028.

In a different note, it seems like every single long term test of the CTR has had at least one or more destroyed tires in less than a year. Can this 19" wheel tend die already? The streets are post apocalyptic hellscapes, some sidewall is needed.

Honda knows the factory 20s on the CTR aren't a great idea as they run 18s on the CTR touring car. Huge wheels, and the corresponding super low-profile tires are the worst trend in the modern auto industry.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Godzilla07 posted:

Honda knows the factory 20s on the CTR aren't a great idea as they run 18s on the CTR touring car. Huge wheels, and the corresponding super low-profile tires are the worst trend in the modern auto industry.

I didn't realize the CTR 20's are 245/30's. Good grief.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Godzilla07 posted:

It's seriously one of the things pushing me to the Veloster N. 18" wheels are the standard wheels even on the performance pack model. The car seems like it would be much more durable.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah but then you have to look at a Veloster.

If 19" is that big of a deal just swap to aftermarket wheels

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I would want a skyactive x so much but I also really don't want to be an engine beta tester, hnngh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Doesn't make a lot of sense honestly. Pay $6k more for the car, then drop another $2k on wheels and tires when by most accounts the N is the more fun vehicle to drive.

Besides, you still can't buy a CTR at MSRP unless you are extremely patient and lucky.