Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Since you are new, zdps mean zero damage builds. They specifically gear for group buff or healing things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Dameius posted:

Since you are new, zdps mean zero damage builds. They specifically gear for group buff or healing things.

Wow, rookie mistake on my part, using undefined technical jargon in a training document.

I promise, my documentation at work is much more user-friendly than this :(

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Booyah! Finally got the socket on the Traveler's amulet and broke 2mill damage on my barbarian. :black101:

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

MariusLecter posted:

Booyah! Finally got the socket on the Traveler's amulet and broke 2mill damage on my barbarian. :black101:

Gear looks very good but I don't know if anybody uses the inventory screen numbers as a metric. I mean a DH might have three times as much and still do as well as you in GR ranks.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
It is useful for tracking relative changes of your gear over time but not of your absolutes.

Depending on class and build, it can also be useful for benchmarking. Like I know for WoL monk that I'll need roughly x sheet dps before I can safely do y thing when gearing with normal stat priorities because I've done it so many times.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

DeadlyHalibut posted:

Gear looks very good but I don't know if anybody uses the inventory screen numbers as a metric. I mean a DH might have three times as much and still do as well as you in GR ranks.

Well, yea, the difference in abilities and set bonuses make a comparison like that moot.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I switched my passive weapon bonus from Fulminator to Deathwish and boy was that a game changer. That 325% extra damage on Arcane Torrent turns it into a stream of death that chumps pretty much everything. The Static Discharge rune is really powerful because it shoots so fast.

I can probably turn the difficulty up another notch or two. I also found a Wyrdward Ring so I could give the Oculus Ring to a follower. (I also found a Unity Ring but that seems fairly useless on its own and also without my Templar being invulnerable.)

Of course the downside to my build is that it requires standing still, so against certain enemies and bosses, I need a backup attack for when I need to keep moving. Right now I have Shock Orb as my right-click for synergy with the Wyrdward Ring, and I don't think I have many better options for attacking on the move.

EDIT: When your items lose durability due to death, does that permanently lower maximum durability? EDIT 2: Nope! (gently caress Rakanoth's instant telefrag.)

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 9, 2019

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
No, you can repair in town at the smith.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I switched my passive weapon bonus from Fulminator to Deathwish and boy was that a game changer. That 325% extra damage on Arcane Torrent turns it into a stream of death that chumps pretty much everything. The Static Discharge rune is really powerful because it shoots so fast.

I can probably turn the difficulty up another notch or two. I also found a Wyrdward Ring so I could give the Oculus Ring to a follower. (I also found a Unity Ring but that seems fairly useless on its own and also without my Templar being invulnerable.)

Of course the downside to my build is that it requires standing still, so against certain enemies and bosses, I need a backup attack for when I need to keep moving. Right now I have Shock Orb as my right-click for synergy with the Wyrdward Ring, and I don't think I have many better options for attacking on the move.

EDIT: When your items lose durability due to death, does that permanently lower maximum durability? EDIT 2: Nope! (gently caress Rakanoth's instant telefrag.)

If you're using lightning, get you a Manald Heal (ring) and cube it. You'll thank me later.

Also with an Etched Sigil (source), your shock meteor will cast for free once per second as you channel Static Discharge and it'll be glorious.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Anybody still need guardian before the season ends? I think I need boss mode or curses

e: I guess I can solo curses

mewse fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 9, 2019

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Whyyyyyy won't Chiltara drop the stupid Gibbering Gemstone? I'm sure I killed her more than 30 times by now.

Zarin posted:

If you're using lightning, get you a Manald Heal (ring) and cube it. You'll thank me later.

Also with an Etched Sigil (source), your shock meteor will cast for free once per second as you channel Static Discharge and it'll be glorious.

I don't have either of those, but I'll keep an eye out. Most unique rings I find are Nagelrings. But I have now determined that the bonus does work on henchmen.

I swapped myTopaz-Gemmed Vyr's Helmet for Pride's Fall (30% resource cost reduction if I haven't taken damage in 5 seconds) and now Arcane Torrent is literally free to cast. It doesn't drain faster than I regen. I also crafted a Hellfire ring, which had better stats than the Halo of Kereni, so I converted that into a passive and determined that the Nagelring's bonus of summoning exploding fallen does work on a Follower.

I also managed to pin a gelatinous treasure goblin to a wall and killed every one of the spawn. That practically filled my inventory all on its own (nothing good, though)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DeadlyHalibut posted:

Gear looks very good but I don't know if anybody uses the inventory screen numbers as a metric.
Counterpoint: Number goes up.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Whyyyyyy won't Chiltara drop the stupid Gibbering Gemstone? I'm sure I killed her more than 30 times by now.

Keep at it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

When it comes to parts for the Staff Of Herding, Izual and Chiltara take turns being assholes. They're the hardest to get the RNG to drop. One will always take a little effort, but the other takes forever. Just keep hunting and murdering her.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Development Hell has a 1% chance to appear, I found that relatively quickly as a side visit while doing other things. I've killed a little over 100 Treasure Goblins but have had two vault portals open, so that's probably less than a 1% chance. I must have killed Chitara what feels like at least 100 times. Chitara is supposed to have a 5% drop rate for this item.

EDIT: Cord of the Sherma's frequent chance to create a huge field that blinds works well with the Promise of Glory bracers. Even with just 4% chance to proc, I'm pretty regularly getting Nephalem Glory globes. A regular source of double damage couldn't hurt.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 10, 2019

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
RNJesus won't bless you just because you complain.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Dameius posted:

RNSatan does.

Hail Satan!

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Development Hell has a 1% chance to appear, I found that relatively quickly as a side visit while doing other things. I've killed a little over 100 Treasure Goblins but have had two vault portals open, so that's probably less than a 1% chance. I must have killed Chitara what feels like at least 100 times. Chitara is supposed to have a 5% drop rate for this item.

EDIT: Cord of the Sherma's frequent chance to create a huge field that blinds works well with the Promise of Glory bracers. Even with just 4% chance to proc, I'm pretty regularly getting Nephalem Glory globes. A regular source of double damage couldn't hurt.

I LOVE Cord of Sherma, it’s so fun and I was sad when I had to pull it off my leveling DH. It’s a cool item.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Dameius posted:

Nah every time you post 'Is this still in the game?' or 'Why won't this drop for me' the drop rate increases by 1%. That's how I get a Soul Harvester/socket gift every season.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Darkhold posted:

Nah every time you post 'Is this still in the game?' or 'Why won't this drop for me' the drop rate increases by 1%. That's how I get a Soul Harvester/socket gift every season.

You're right, I was going to add a bit about how complaining about something not dropping in the thread has historically been the most successful way to get it to drop, but I was tired and :effort:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Yeah but bear in mind, you have to post, sincerely bitching about how RNG has corrupted for just you alone, with absolute certainty. If you just post a whinge or a complaint, thinking it'll force the turnover, the desire sensor can pick up on that and further deny you.

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS
I was starting to wonder when blizz was gonna give me a primal pig sticker until last night, they gave my friend 2 and they were both garbage rolls. I'm not sure I could handle the disappointment, so I've now found happiness in not getting one.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Season 17: The Season of Nightmares Begins 5/17
▪️ Torment 14/15/16
▪️ Updated Legendary Powers
▪️ Season of Nightmares buff
Read More: https://blizz.ly/2VQAIte

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Nice. Finding a single ancient early on will give you quite a bit of power before your 6pc, and the GR45 without set items Conquest should be a breeze.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The thrill was always the best conquest in terms of fun. Now it'll be so easy.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Suburban Dad posted:

The thrill was always the best conquest in terms of fun. Now it'll be so easy.

You could say that it will be a nightmtare.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Hopefully The Thrill doesn't count the hidden LoN bonus as a set!

mewse
May 2, 2006

heffray posted:

Hopefully The Thrill doesn't count the hidden LoN bonus as a set!

I'd usually figure that blizzard wouldn't make that conquest impossible, but considering the skeleton crew they have running this game atm

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Last season they did have that challenge rift that was impossible for awhile because the CR server did not take the RoRG buff into account.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

mewse posted:

I'd usually figure that blizzard wouldn't make that conquest impossible, but considering the skeleton crew they have running this game atm

Haven't you always been able to do it with well rolled random items anyway?

mewse
May 2, 2006

DeadlyHalibut posted:

Haven't you always been able to do it with well rolled random items anyway?

Yes but if the game detects the season's LoN bonus as a set, you can't click it off or anything, so the conquest would be impossible to complete

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

mewse posted:

Yes but if the game detects the season's LoN bonus as a set, you can't click it off or anything, so the conquest would be impossible to complete

Ah I get what you're saying. I'd guess they would fix that real quick tho.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008
I'm very stocked for s17. Apparently wizard and necro have some really good LoN setups? I'm just going to do the LoN crusader I always wanted but was too lazy to grind.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

DeadlyHalibut posted:

I'm just going to do the LoN crusader I always wanted but was too lazy to grind.

What's it revolve around?

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Assembling the right items for a top tier LoN build (aka: ancients of useful things) will probably take longer than just finishing the season journey with current set bonuses and the free 6pc from doing a GR20. It'll be nice for classes that don't get anything useful from 2/4pc bonuses, at least.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Rinkles posted:

What's it revolve around?

Traditionally bombardment spam with steed and condemn, but this next season blessed shield sounds like tons of fun. I hope it works out.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

heffray posted:

Assembling the right items for a top tier LoN build (aka: ancients of useful things) will probably take longer than just finishing the season journey with current set bonuses and the free 6pc from doing a GR20. It'll be nice for classes that don't get anything useful from 2/4pc bonuses, at least.

Nothing limits you from using the 6pc sets to farm the good ancients though.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Looking forward to resurrecting the old poison dart witch doctor.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
The problem with LoN for me is that it takes longer to gear a spec than I have attention span for season-doings. Lately, I really enjoy playing a new season, finishing the journey, and putting in, y'know, 25-40ish hours (total) fully assembling whatever build I set out to play that go 'round. I don't think I've even come close to accidentally completing a worthwhile LoN set during any of these recent seasons.

Grandeur was really cool because everyone could pretty much immediately benefit from it. Nightmares is very much the opposite. The only people who will benefit really at all from it are those who are going to sink large amounts of playtime into the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

bio347 posted:

The problem with LoN for me is that it takes longer to gear a spec than I have attention span for season-doings. Lately, I really enjoy playing a new season, finishing the journey, and putting in, y'know, 25-40ish hours (total) fully assembling whatever build I set out to play that go 'round. I don't think I've even come close to accidentally completing a worthwhile LoN set during any of these recent seasons.

Grandeur was really cool because everyone could pretty much immediately benefit from it. Nightmares is very much the opposite. The only people who will benefit really at all from it are those who are going to sink large amounts of playtime into the game.

I feel like everyone will benefit from this season; the first ancient you find (even if it is a hot pile of garbage) will be huge. Statistically, you'll find one within the first 10 leggos that drop (give or take).

With that in mind, you'll then be able to use the power of poo poo Ancients to either find better ancients, or farm up a good set faster than you normally might. (Offer not valid for classes that are getting good sets in the Haedrig boxes this season; I'm playing a Wizard though so gently caress the Good Set Crew)

Based on how I did this past season (Played almost exclusively LoN in the RoRG season :shepicide:), a good LoN build doesn't have to take a ton of time. If you start with a solid plan of what you want that first LoN build to be, just target each slot until it rolls the combo of ITEM + ANCIENT, then move onto the next. Even a trash-rolled ancient is going to be better than a perfectly-rolled non-ancient. Once you have the correct ancient item in each slot for the build, THEN you can work on getting good rolls (and this is where your sanity may tell you to wish the season "good day, SIR" and see yourself out).

But! You'll still be able to do some LoN things!