Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't think anyone actually assumed a re-release of p5 would meaningfully address or fix any of the problems the game really had.

I definitely thought that if they were going to add a new Phantom Thief, it would be Okamura’s daughter. She appears in some of the trailers and even has her own Persona model, but I don’t remember her showing up in the story at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Vengarr posted:

I definitely thought that if they were going to add a new Phantom Thief, it would be Okamura’s daughter. She appears in some of the trailers and even has her own Persona model, but I don’t remember her showing up in the story at all.

...but...Haru is Okamura's daughter.

:confused:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Vengarr posted:

:thunk:

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
:thejoke:

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

oh man I was afraid of that

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I didn’t level Haru. Oh boy, you get... to waste precious days (which the game already shafts you on in the late game) growing vegetables?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Luigi Thirty posted:

I didn’t level Haru. Oh boy, you get... to waste precious days (which the game already shafts you on in the late game) growing vegetables?

It doesn't cost time.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Arist posted:

It doesn't cost time.

Also it's VERY wholesome and Sojiro likes them, why aren't you befriending Haru and forming meaningful friendships??????

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Haru is cool as hell. Be her friend you savage.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Rosalind posted:

Honestly gonna be super sad when I beat this game. It's so good.

No, it's actually terrible, don't you see?!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Haru is cool as hell. Be her friend you savage.

I loved the scene where the team finds Morgana and Haru in the palace after he goes off on his own, and they do that poorly rehearsed bit. It was cute :shobon:

Haru going "learn to take a hint!" to Yusuke, and "and you! You're very vulgar! And very stupid!" to Ryuiji was :discourse:

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Vengarr posted:

Naw, what they did was clever if a bit too high-concept: an entirely in-dungeon story for her.

Also (horse-I've-whipped-before) it was in a Monolith Burger, so how could it not be good?

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Rosalind posted:

Honestly gonna be super sad when I beat this game. It's so good.

It took me the better part of half a year but I finally finished it a few months ago, it might be the first JRPG I’ve ever seen through to the end credits, let alone sink 100+ hours into. I realized I missed it and started a new playthrough a couple weeks ago, and I’m surprised at how much I’m still into it. Game's got some big flaws but it’s still real good in spite of them. It scratched an itch that I never knew needed scratching.

I will say that the loving boat palace is where it came close to losing me. If that's all they improved it’d probably be enough to get me to buy P5R.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Onomarchus posted:

Naw, what they did was clever if a bit too high-concept: an entirely in-dungeon story for her.

I've read that the original character design fell through and they had to scramble to figure out what to do with her late in development. Don't know if it's true, but it fits with both her lack of screentime and her lack of presence in general.

It's a shame because her visual design is awesome. A french musketeer with a grenade launcher should not have to fight for space on the box art.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Vengarr posted:

I've read that the original character design fell through and they had to scramble to figure out what to do with her late in development. Don't know if it's true, but it fits with both her lack of screentime and her lack of presence in general.

It's a shame because her visual design is awesome. A french musketeer with a grenade launcher should not have to fight for space on the box art.

Yeah Haru's design is great and I love the DLC option that lets you bring her summer outfit into the dungeon because you baaaarely get to see it in-game but it's the best casual Phantom Theif outfit for sure. Also I've talked about it a lot but I'm not surprised they struggled with Haru considering Futaba/Makoto completely take over the plot once you get them, so finding a reason to add another party member with a unique role after that point is tough when characters you've already established are basically thrown to the side by the fifth palace.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Ohtsam posted:

maybe the bonus is compendium and social stat carry over which other than max confidant items carrying over is all I care about

that would be ‘using’ the save data

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
There were people who saw Haru's (brief) scenes in the intro cinematic that make her look like a more dramatic character.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I played a bit last night. I finished Palace 4 with like a month to spare so I guess now they're just gonna say Futaba has been in like a coma for like 25 days? And no one is concerned about this? Maybe Sojiro does need to be investigated by Sae for child neglect. They couldn't do something slightly more believable like saying that hacking Medjed is gonna take time and she's focused on that?

Also idea for Persona 6: group hangouts. It's awkward as heck when I get messages from Yusuke, Makoto, and Ryuji all on the same day all wanting to hangout one-on-one. I feel guilty having to choose one over the others.

Naoto Shirogane
May 8, 2019

Persona 5 is a very good game.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rosalind posted:

Also idea for Persona 6: group hangouts. It's awkward as heck when I get messages from Yusuke, Makoto, and Ryuji all on the same day all wanting to hangout one-on-one. I feel guilty having to choose one over the others.

It looks like Royal is adding this in actually

Naoto Shirogane posted:

Persona 5 is a very good game.

Agreed

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It looks like Royal is adding this in actually

To be honest as someone who has never played these games before, it's unclear to me what Royal even is. It's an expansion pack but also like a revision of the existing game?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rosalind posted:

To be honest as someone who has never played these games before, it's unclear to me what Royal even is. It's an expansion pack but also like a revision of the existing game?

It's a revision of the game with added content

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Think the 3rd version of a Pokemon game, if that helps.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Honestly, I hope they add more group stuff in Royal. Coming off of 4 where some of the best stuff is when you're with the group doing things, 5 was surprisingly lacking in that category. They'd have something but it'd either get cut short, the plot would butt in just as it was getting good, or just flat out be bad (like the school trip).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Chieves posted:

So Ryuji follows you around and you can turn around and see what mood he's in? :v:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Rosalind posted:

It’s a revamped, and apparently greatly expanded version of the original game with new characters, events, and a large extension of time which will require big changes to the story beyond that. It will also greatly alter the dungeons to be more complicated and involve that grappling hook that appeared in Smash Bros.

One of the big features they advertised is that the group will hang out together more, including the last character who was greatly overlooked in the main game.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Vengarr posted:

I'm disappointed we got Haru over Hifumi. Yeah, I said it.

TwoPair posted:

So Ryuji follows you around and you can turn around and see what mood he's in? :v:

I miss the ability to have your party comment on your/their outfits, too. :(

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Chieves posted:

It sounds a fair bit more expansive than your usual third Pokemon game though, this kind of undersells it significantly.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

History Comes Inside! posted:

It sounds a fair bit more expansive than your usual third Pokemon game though, this kind of undersells it significantly.

Nah, feels pretty on the nose. At least if we're talking the Crystal/Emerald/Platinum stuff, and less like the ultra sun and moon we just got.

Also Hifumi as a party member would have been awesome primarily due to her mom's palace. That would have been a trip.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
The problem with Hifumi is that the writers have Makoto just about everything she would have to provide the group. They’d have to seriously rewrite one or both characters to make it work.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Good ideas:

quote:

The latest issue of Famitsu also explains the new Play Assist feature, which calculates your social interactions and confidant levels and automatically suggests people and places you should visit next. This should help players min/max their characters with more efficiency.

In addition, Wada and Itoh say that they’re making it easier to earn experience points so you can play at a better “tempo”.

New Phantom Thieves character Kasumi is being blended into the story, and you’ll learn her various different sides as you play. She acts as a confidant, alongside new NPC Maruki, and Atlus tease that there will be other new confidants introduced, too.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Play Assist!? in my day we managed our calanders ourselves with no help except badly written internet guided! *shakes cane*

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!
I’m not sure I’m cool with Atlus just making up arcana for new confidants. There was at least some basis for Aeon and Jester.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

epenthesis posted:

I’m not sure I’m cool with Atlus just making up arcana for new confidants. There was at least some basis for Aeon and Jester.

Could just use the minor arcana suits

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Bold move to change the Phantom Thieves' confidant to Three of Cups.

I'm joking but then I remember that P4G changed the shuffle time to include a lot of minor arcana. Wands for EXP gain, etc.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

HIJK posted:

Play Assist!? in my day we managed our calanders ourselves with no help except badly written internet guided! *shakes cane*

Ctrl-Fing a jumble of characters in the table of contents to jump to the part of the 400-kB ASCII gamefaqs guide about the boss you wanted help with

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

HellCopter posted:

Bold move to change the Phantom Thieves' confidant to Three of Cups.

I'm joking but then I remember that P4G changed the shuffle time to include a lot of minor arcana. Wands for EXP gain, etc.

That stuff came from P3 but it worked a little differently there. It wasn't potentially broken, for one thing.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Do you keep the stuff you get from The Reaper in Persona 4 in a NG+? How about in Golden?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I think part of the reason Persona 5 is interesting to discuss is because it's both (a) very good and (b) has a bunch of flaws. So there are lots of easy topics of conversation, but everyone mostly likes the game so they feel happy discussing it even if they're discussing the ways it falls short.

It's also harder to talk about things like visual design or style than it is to discuss the plot or character development, so we wind up talking about the weaker stuff more than the stronger elements.

In conclusion, Persona 5 is a land of contrasts. Also basically every palace theft sequence owns and Life Will Change is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Digirat posted:

Ctrl-Fing a jumble of characters in the table of contents to jump to the part of the 400-kB ASCII gamefaqs guide about the boss you wanted help with
10 Things Only 2000s Kids Will Remember