Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Data Graham posted:

How is it a widespread enough phenomenon that it shows up as a major thing the “average consumer” spends money on along with food and transportation, like an expense you have to list when the bank tries to refinance your loan

Am I so out of touch? No, the loot crate subscribers are wrong

the poll was against people who sign up for a site where they get money for answering polls. so i’m guessing this is a bit of a selection bias

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It's how they can afford all of those subsection services

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

FoolyCharged posted:

Alcohol too, most wineries will send you periodic shipments of wine if you subscribe to their club.

Wine clubs have been a thing for a long time, and I wouldn't put them as "subscription boxes."

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Wine clubs have been a thing for a long time, and I wouldn't put them as "subscription boxes."

It's a subscription to have a box of stuff show up at your door on regular intervals. How is it not?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

I think if I wanted to make young people seem out of touch I would.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

What if mine involves an app.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Disrupting the wine snob world.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

withak posted:

What if mine involves an app.

Depends if the name is spelled by dropping or transposing a letter.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

FoolyCharged posted:

It's a subscription to have a box of stuff show up at your door on regular intervals. How is it not?

Yeah, but if you acknowledge that "X of the month clubs" have been a thing for decades you can't bounce it into a rant about nerd culture, venture capitalism, or general societal decay.

Still gotta wonder how much the top 10% is spending on those if the average is so high.

Though as I type this I also think how on Amazon now if you buy any kind of consumable product they try to sell you on a subscription rather than single purchase. I don't know how many people really do but that would pad it up.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Killer robot posted:

Though as I type this I also think how on Amazon now if you buy any kind of consumable product they try to sell you on a subscription rather than single purchase. I don't know how many people really do but that would pad it up.

Amazon subscriptions are just such nonsense though. It's all the fun of a variable rate utility, but with your toothpaste.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Killer robot posted:

I do that for dog food. It saves having to regularly re-order and I consume it ( I mean my dogs consume it!) at a constant rate so it makes sense.

It hardly comes in a "box" though.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Killer robot posted:

Yeah, but if you acknowledge that "X of the month clubs" have been a thing for decades you can't bounce it into a rant about nerd culture, venture capitalism, or general societal decay.

Still gotta wonder how much the top 10% is spending on those if the average is so high.

A know a lot of working professional types who buy the food box deliveries. Mostly it is for organic/fresh prepped ingredients, microwavable work meals, or diet food. I'd imagine this drives up thr average cost, because these people treat this as 75% of their grocery budget.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
The subscription model is good for companies because it's steady income. My company doesn't sell boxes of stuff, but our product is subscription-based, and I had to sit thru a full day class on how it works. (Please don't ask me for more details, I don't care and didn't retain much.)

It's the same with pre-orders, or when magazines start getting shaky and beg for subscribers, because they lose a cut to news stand sales. Plus you can take those subscriber numbers to the bank and get loans based off them.

That said, nerd loot subscriptions are dumb. I bought in early on because I like shirts and tchotchkes, but then I walked into the office after getting my first box and realized every loving employee was wearing the same shirt and had the same poo poo on their desks. I also don't like every property out there, and now I have a pile of like Overwatch Funkos and Stranger Things toys and I can't even give them away. Useless.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Ew funkos

Nendoroids are the superior small nerd statuary

Magic City Monday
Dec 5, 2016

ummel posted:

A know a lot of working professional types who buy the food box deliveries. Mostly it is for organic/fresh prepped ingredients, microwavable work meals, or diet food. I'd imagine this drives up thr average cost, because these people treat this as 75% of their grocery budget.

It is also supposedly better for the environment.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I do that for dog food. It saves having to regularly re-order and I consume it ( I mean my dogs consume it!) at a constant rate so it makes sense.

It hardly comes in a "box" though.

Yeah, subscriptions for consumables makes a lot of sense. Subscriptions for nerd toys, much less so.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The question in part hinges on the fungible, equivalent nature of the object delivered.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Trump is pissed at Bolton because his aggressive posture towards Venezuela hasn’t resulted in instant success like Trump would like. Although there’s a quote about how Bolton’s job is safe, that probably means he’s circling the drain right now.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The sourcing reads like another round of internal sabotage. I wonder who's ticked off.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

"Note: Blue Apron has been a sponsor of NPR programming."

Gonna take that with a giant grain of salt.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That’s $3.99 extra / month

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Anora posted:

https://twitter.com/USATODAY/status/1125891810595954688

Go gently caress yourself USA Today

Also, Ride sharing, personal Grooming, "cable," and food are not "nonessentials."

lol at personal grooming as a "nonessential"

Just never shower, shave, or wash your hair! Forget deodorant and toothpaste! Cut your own hair with a kitchen knife. Replace hand-washing at the sink with a quick dip in the soapy washing-machine water whenever you do a load of laundry. Wait to wipe your rear end until you're at work! Take turns picking the bugs off of fellow family members like chimpanzees.

We can't think of any potential employment consequences that could possibly cost you orders of magnitude more money than the lucrative savings strategy of living in filth and repulsing every human being you meet

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

Killer robot posted:

i’ll go further and say that this model has been around for centuries. one of the dirty secrets behind Thomas Jefferson’s jaw-dropping personal library was that subscription book clubs were a huge thing in his colonial era, and he could afford to subscribe to all of them.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

VitalSigns posted:

lol at personal grooming as a "nonessential"

Just never shower, shave, or wash your hair! Forget deodorant and toothpaste! Cut your own hair with a kitchen knife. Replace hand-washing at the sink with a quick dip in the soapy washing-machine water whenever you do a load of laundry. Wait to wipe your rear end until you're at work! Take turns picking the bugs off of fellow family members like chimpanzees.

We can't think of any potential employment consequences that could possibly cost you orders of magnitude more money than the lucrative savings strategy of living in filth and repulsing every human being you meet

A family? Talk about an unnecessary expense!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

Replace hand-washing at the sink with a quick dip in the soapy washing-machine water whenever you do a load of laundry.

... Uhh, you're clearly supposed to hand-wash stuff. If my parents could live decades[1] without access to washing machines, so can everyone.

[1] That was in a little place called USSR... (And one of many ways in which quality of living there kinda sucked).

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lean in, dress for the job you want not the job you have, look the part

Whoa look at all the money you're spending on nice clothes and personal grooming, you don't need a raise, you need to budget!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

lifetime supply of Pocky posted:

i’ll go further and say that this model has been around for centuries. one of the dirty secrets behind Thomas Jefferson’s jaw-dropping personal library was that subscription book clubs were a huge thing in his colonial era, and he could afford to subscribe to all of them.

He couldn't actually afford it he had massive massive debt

Jefferson began the rich american tradition of blowing his money on all kinds of poo poo

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

That's okay, just sell a couple of your duskier kids down South to make your monthly payments

E: If USAToday were around then that's exactly what they'd say.
"The average American has had 8.2 kids with their 2.1 slaves, just sell a few to pay the rent, gawrsh it's simple"

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Dress for the job you want. Also don’t spend money on the things more fortunate people do to look more attractive.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/1126854068909985792

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Telsa Cola posted:

I think that in most military systems it goes from the navy as the most liberal to the airforce as the most conservative.

Correlated with % chance of meeting foreigners in a context other than killing them.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
I hate Desantis with a passion for a multitude of reasons, but he's been surprisingly strong on environment issues. It worries me because he'll draw a lot of dumb single-issue Florida voters in with this type of stuff.

https://twitter.com/orlandosentinel/status/1126986696044707840

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I don't understand the logistics of a Trump voter with a German accent in Switzerland

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

I don't understand the logistics of a Trump voter with a German accent in Switzerland

Long term military deployment?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao if you guys think that hate clicks isn't exactly what USA today wanted.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I like to think nobody clicked it, just read and retweeted the chart.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Turtlicious posted:

lmao if you guys think that hate clicks isn't exactly what USA today wanted.

Like anyone didn't just click "back" when they got the paywall. (Is there a paywall? I just assumed)

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

HootTheOwl posted:

Like anyone didn't just click "back" when they got the paywall. (Is there a paywall? I just assumed)

Stopping at the paywall is still reported as traffic to ad companies.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

ummel posted:

I hate Desantis with a passion for a multitude of reasons, but he's been surprisingly strong on environment issues. It worries me because he'll draw a lot of dumb single-issue Florida voters in with this type of stuff.

https://twitter.com/orlandosentinel/status/1126986696044707840

gently caress whichever editor that put together that sentence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Didn’t Florida just get absolutely hosed by Red Tide? As much of a poo poo hole as the political landscape of Florida is, I would imagine there are just enough Rs in office who realize they can’t just blatantly piss away their fishing/tourist industry and they have to do SOMETHING about it. Even though they will all deny climate change until its too late (and it probably already is).

With that said, how is Florida and Solar Power? With a nickname like “Sunshine” state you would think they had a thriving solar industry.