Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Would've been all sorts of amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Neither show nor book Euron is an interesting character, he pales in comparison to Victarion.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

All Ironmen are tedious and dull, every last one of them.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Vinnie Jones as Danny and when she negotiates with Cersei it's the gun scene from Snatch but instead of Desert Eagle it's dragons.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

I DO think that the Dunk/Egg stories (what I've read so far, I'm working through them now) would be easy to adapt well to an HBO series or even a movie per story. They have a much tighter character focus and a more broad appeal. Triple H could play Dunk.

Tom Hopper/Dickon might be a good Dunk, he's appropriately massive and has the right look.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 9, 2019

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Mad Hamish posted:

All Ironmen are tedious and dull, every last one of them.

I liked the crazy priest brother, forgot his name

edit: wethair or something

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If the Ironborn and Dorne wasn't in the books, he might have actually started writing TWOW by now.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Aeron Dumbfuck

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Damphair

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

esperterra posted:

Mads Mikkelsen woulda been a kickin' rad book Euron, too.

I always imagined book Euron as Luke Evans with blue lips, he really looks the part. Mads isnt handsome enough.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is Euron supposed to be handsome? I always picture him as looking similar to the warlocks in the House of the Undying. And yea, didn’t even think of Mads; he’d have been perfect for Euron and a number of other roles.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
The actor they cast is apparently quite good, it's just his material sucks.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

dem fair

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

esperterra posted:

Mads Mikkelsen woulda been a kickin' rad book Euron, too.

I'm holding out for an "early Targaryens"/Fire-and-Blood series when HBO realizes all their spinoff ideas are bad and should feel bad, and we get Mads as either Aegon or Maegor the Cruel. He'd be a good book Euron, but I think Maegor would be even better, because even with the Master-written slant to that story, the dude is a downright Shakespearean character. Also his official art literally looks like Mads Mikkelsen at a Renn Faire, so.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Ague Proof posted:

The actor they cast is apparently quite good, it's just his material sucks.

He just looks like such a trailer trash shithead.

The Metallica roadie leather pants don't help.

Also he's like 40 years younger than Balon.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
to be fair we should've given up any hope for the show being good when they hosed up daario.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Eh, Daario was a character I never expected to be book accurate. If Drogo didn’t get his hair bells, Daario wasn’t going to get his extravagant weirdo look. He’s a blue haired Zevran from Dragon Age if I remember correctly.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
How hard would it be to just put an older long-haired guy in a long coat, slap an eye patch on him, and have him say cryptic poo poo as his deck hands sacrifice a red priest to Cthulhu?

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

chaosapiant posted:

Eh, Daario was a character I never expected to be book accurate. If Drogo didn’t get his hair bells, Daario wasn’t going to get his extravagant weirdo look. He’s a blue haired Zevran from Dragon Age if I remember correctly.

i mean it is super dumb but it would also be really funny, probably the same reasoning they have for cutting darkstar

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

How hard would it be to just put an older long-haired guy in a long coat, slap an eye patch on him, and have him say cryptic poo poo as his deck hands sacrifice a red priest to Cthulhu?

his speech at the kingsmoot from the book is real good.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

i mean it is super dumb but it would also be really funny, probably the same reasoning they have for cutting darkstar

they couldn’t see him, he is of the night

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

book daario is middle-aged and has hosed-up teeth and weird facial hair

it made sense that, if they wanted audiences to buy into Dany's infatuation with him, they would ignore the book description and cast an actual conventionally-attractive-by-modern-standards hot guy

that they cast two separate hot guys who didn't resemble each other at all was a bit weird
but it was unsurprising that they'd do it to begin with

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I think we are forgetting that book Daario is also Benjen.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What happened to TV Daaaario

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Calaveron posted:

What happened to TV Daaaario

Dany left him in Meereen when she sailed for Westeros and was like “I love you, but I can’t marry you because politics sucks. Stay here with your giant army and establish democracy or something. Peace.”

Though rumour has it he’s showing up next week as a prisoner of the Golden Company as just another thing for Cersei to taunt Dany with. But we’ll see. r/freefolk is at the point where people are coming out of the woodwork and posting contradictory “leaks” as they work through the denial and bargaining stages of grief over the show’s awful writing.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

He just looks like such a trailer trash shithead.

The Metallica roadie leather pants don't help.

Also he's like 40 years younger than Balon.

He reminds me a bunch of Kano from MK11's captain boomerang incarnation. I just take him as being an alternate universe Kano.

Still a dumb show character.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Dany left him in Meereen when she sailed for Westeros and was like “I love you, but I can’t marry you because politics sucks. Stay here with your giant army and establish democracy or something. Peace.”

She's also "I'm not sharing my throne motherfucker, marriage is for suckers."

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Zenithe posted:

I think we are forgetting that book Daario is also Benjen.

I thought he was Euron???

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
The symbolic decline of the series started when season 3 rolled into season 4 and they recast Ed Skrein’s Daario, who, despite not looking like book Daario appropriate captured his feel.

They cast a non-descript hot guy who looked nothing like Skrein and was devoid of personality and charm.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Speaking of Benjen, since the show replaced Coldhands with ColdBen, has that been confirmed that the theory that Benjen=Coldhands was right all along?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Though rumour has it he’s showing up next week as a prisoner of the Golden Company as just another thing for Cersei to taunt Dany with. But we’ll see. r/freefolk is at the point where people are coming out of the woodwork and posting contradictory “leaks” as they work through the denial and bargaining stages of grief over the show’s awful writing.

Oh, please let this be true. It's so gloriously dumb.

They should have Cersei pop up on the walls with, like, ten dragons, too. "Turns out we found these in the Red Keep! They hatch real easy, no sacrifice needed, and for some reason these ones are ballista-proof. Isn't it wild? Oh, by the way, I sent the Golden Company to burn down your precious House with the Red Door across the narrow sea. Then the ironmen took turns pooping on the ashes. And Qyburn developed a way to talk to the dead, contacted Khal Drogo and he said your pussy was trash."

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Sephyr posted:

Oh, please let this be true. It's so gloriously dumb.

They should have Cersei pop up on the walls with, like, ten dragons, too. "Turns out we found these in the Red Keep! They hatch real easy, no sacrifice needed, and for some reason these ones are ballista-proof. Isn't it wild? Oh, by the way, I sent the Golden Company to burn down your precious House with the Red Door across the narrow sea. Then the ironmen took turns pooping on the ashes. And Qyburn developed a way to talk to the dead, contacted Khal Drogo and he said your pussy was trash."

Too far. Just make Cersei have a zombified version of Dany's dragon just like she has Ser Robert Strong! :D

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

leakers saying that tyrion's eventual trial scene (where dany kills him) contains an unidentified new character in gold (dornish) and one in green (reacher, presumably)

gonna be great if those turn out to be quentyn and willas suddenly

"you fools! you thought i didn't exist, yet in reality i was merely demoted to being a member of a cadet branch!!!"

chaosapiant posted:

Speaking of Benjen, since the show replaced Coldhands with ColdBen, has that been confirmed that the theory that Benjen=Coldhands was right all along?

i haven't seen anything confirming whether or not that was one of the reveals Gurm gave them

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

chaosapiant posted:

Too far. Just make Cersei have a zombified version of Dany's dragon just like she has Ser Robert Strong! :D

That would be glorious

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

I’m willing to bet Coldhands will never be confirmed one way or the other and he never appears again in the story.

ColdBen was just the show unable to give in to any subtlety or mystery

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I was wondering how the show would handle him. He appears in the books and it's kinda "what the gently caress is THAT" and then the story just moves on. But when you see it on TV, it'd stick out like a sore thumb. They did the right move.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

PupsOfWar posted:

I thought he was Euron???

Stuff can be three things.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Nah, if you gotta go dumb, go BIG dumb.

Have Cersei give birth to twins and name them Aegon and Nymeria, then throw a baby shower and send Dany an invitation ending with "P.S.- No barren women allowed."

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

I guess GRRM confirmed that Benjen *isn't* Coldhands, so that means Coldhands is probably nobody special and is just a dead body that the Three-Eyed Raven wargs into

Fine, whatever

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Speaking of babies, I wonder if one of the next episodes is going to have Dany rub her belly and be all "ermagerd my nephews sperm took root and I'm no longer barren! Awesome but nasty!" Then we have baby AeJon StarGaryan. Snow finds another wolf to bang and they have little baby dire -wolves with wings because dragons! Then Cersei rides Ser Robert Strong into battle while he sits on a Qyburned dead dragon but what's this? Qyburn is actually the Night King? Then who was the Night King we killed? WHAT? THAT WAS THE BLACKFISH? ARYA KILLED THE BLACKFISH AND THE REAL NIGHT KING IS QYBURN! And then yada yada Pepsi Twist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

they should probably have left randyll tarly (or dickon? one of em) alive so we could have a more recognizable final miniboss

than harry strickland

that'd strengthen the Mad Queen Dany turn i guess - having someone whose family she burned, as the lannisters' last general

Mike N Eich posted:

I guess GRRM confirmed that Benjen *isn't* Coldhands, so that means Coldhands is probably nobody special and is just a dead body that the Three-Eyed Raven wargs into

Fine, whatever

if GRRM wanted to reveal coldhands and have it be an eerie moment, it could be some ancestor Stark bran would recognize

like "oh poo poo, it's king bran XIV who vanished 1000 years ago"