Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Ulver’s first three albums are mediocre black metal that somehow got really good press. They then stopped being a metal band and instead did a bunch of weird experimental electronic music instead. Most of it is lame, some of it is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Vintersorg posted:

Heads up if you were set to see Ulver - they just cancelled all their west coast dates since no one was buying tickets.

It’s super frustrating, but they brought it on themselves by booking way large venues (at least in LA or SF) - I have a hard time imagining Ulver filling places that bands like Nine Inch Nails or Faith No More play. I’m sure their sales would’ve been fine in SF if they had played Great American Music Hall, for example.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Fenrir posted:

I still can't believe that's an actual thing, despite having actually seen a guy with one. Like... why?

you haven't lived until you've seen a punisher skull tattoo with the monster energy logo for the teeth

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

you haven't lived until you've seen a punisher skull tattoo with the monster energy logo for the teeth

That almost crosses the line into ironically good territory.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

blue.eyed.ash posted:

It’s super frustrating, but they brought it on themselves by booking way large venues (at least in LA or SF) - I have a hard time imagining Ulver filling places that bands like Nine Inch Nails or Faith No More play. I’m sure their sales would’ve been fine in SF if they had played Great American Music Hall, for example.
Yeah, of the venues in that list, only the Showbox is smaller than Irving Plaza. The Wiltern is over 50% bigger. This was just a pretty big promoter fuckup.

skasion posted:

Ulver’s first three albums are mediocre black metal that somehow got really good press. They then stopped being a metal band and instead did a bunch of weird experimental electronic music instead. Most of it is lame, some of it is good.
Of their electronic stuff: if you avoid the soundtrack albums, you should find something you enjoy listening to on basically all of their releases, but only a couple are really solid end-to-end. The lame stuff is at least interesting.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 9, 2019

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

New Temple of Void track: https://templeofvoid.bandcamp.com/track/harvest-of-flesh

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm
Those of you who haven't heard of Demilich before probably haven't listened to Adramelech before soooooo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zhMxSWwqQQ

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ulver - Lyckantropen Themes is a 10/10 album for me. It’s amazing. Don’t ignore the soundtracks! I haven’t listened to Svidd neger in years but I remember enjoying it too.

For Ulver recs I would honestly suggest just digging around their entire discography. They’ve changed so much and I’ve never heard an entirely bad album from them so they’re worth exploring. Try the first three albums for sure and then jump around to whatever seems appealing.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I also like every release by Ulver one way or another. They make good music overall, imo. The early releases are the least interesting to me though

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Ulver's Themes from William Blake's "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell" will always have a place in my heart.

You cannot tell me that this is not some good poo poo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j_3Nap8RF4

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

xzzy posted:

How timely that I just stumbled on this video. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQDJpL_PbGg

It's many times better than the song they're covering.

Also many times better than the radio rock garbage they have been putting out for the last 10+ years.

Reflections and the s/t were great (except for some terrible vocalist choices on the latter) but boy did they go downhill since then.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 11:11 on May 9, 2019

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
found this in gbs

bolt thrower

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m going to find some sleeveless metal shirts or at least diy some

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Remember not to just cut the sleeve off - you gotta cut into the shirt a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATJgCPKhnpk

Most of the vids are of fitness people. :3

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Vintersorg posted:

Remember not to just cut the sleeve off - you gotta cut into the shirt a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATJgCPKhnpk

Most of the vids are of fitness people. :3

Time to watch YouTube videos so I can properly make diy metal shirts! A very cool, badass and metal thing to do.

Seriously though we’re hitting 90f weather already gently caress sleeves praise the sun

Parachute
May 18, 2003
u gotta show off the lats, traps, and sideboob but not the nipple (for modesty). a very tricky balance

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

Time to watch YouTube videos so I can properly make diy metal shirts! A very cool, badass and metal thing to do.

Seriously though we’re hitting 90f weather already gently caress sleeves praise the sun

NSFW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54iUeO8zAJY

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Parachute posted:

u gotta show off the lats, traps, and sideboob but not the nipple (for modesty). a very tricky balance

Nip slips are hot, but not on a sweaty 250 lbs. guy named Jeff in a faded PANTERA pot leaf shirt with the sleeves cut off.

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m going to find some sleeveless metal shirts or at least diy some

The best torn-off sleeve shirt is a thick check shirt with no sleeves and a Cannibal Corpse patch on the back.

AC/DC Fly on the Wall back patches are also acceptable if youre carrying a 6 pack ring with only 2 or 3 cans in it.

T-shirt torn of sleeves?

Not anymore dude. Metal shirts are made like poo poo. Its been a discussion online. How much will you pay?

I got a tonne(100+) of old rear end blackmetal shirts that are thick as hell and could take arm removal, but the last time that quality existed...minimum of a decade ago. We paid premium and they were also import.

Anything in the last few years...no way. Online has lowered quality, not just costs. I'd pay AU$30 in the 90's for an import shirt.

There should be a specific "Tear arms off quality" shirt.

The 100% cotton Gildan Classic Heavyweight I think was the usual. Probably too pricey now after printing etc for the Bandcamp age.

The Flenser make horrible shirts fyi.
Kingsroad who do Propagandhi make nice shirts, American Apparel i think.
Any Darkthrone/Peaceville shirt has been good, but thats Gildan Heavy.

immortalyawn fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 9, 2019

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Nip slips are hot, but not on a sweaty 250 lbs. guy named Jeff in a faded PANTERA pot leaf shirt with the sleeves cut off.

don't kinkshame

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Metal man tanks and cutoff skinny jeans are where it's at

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

immortalyawn posted:

The 100% cotton Gildan Classic Heavyweight I think was the usual.

That cut sucks and I’m really happy some bands spring for the nicer gildan that’s closer to American apparel. Softstyle maybe?

I’d rather have a comfier and better fitting shirt than one that lasts forever, partially because my T-shirt collection is out of control at this point.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Snowy posted:

That cut sucks and I’m really happy some bands spring for the nicer gildan that’s closer to American apparel. Softstyle maybe?

I’d rather have a comfier and better fitting shirt than one that lasts forever, partially because my T-shirt collection is out of control at this point.

i like gildan softstyle. i bought a godflesh shirt @ MDF last year and I liked it so much I bought a 10 pack of plain black tees in the same style.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

btw, this is an amazing first post (i'm assuming it's your first here) in the metal thread.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I have brought out the full power of the metal thread via cut off sleeve discussion

Hail Satan

Parachute
May 18, 2003
with metal t's there are only 2 options: no sleeves or long sleeves that are as gaudy as poo poo [insert tiled band logos here]

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Snowy posted:

yeah these are the best, and I always like how easy you can tear the tag off

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
I had a six feet under long sleeve that had a ton of buzzsaw blades on the arms, it owned.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

metal sweatpants are where it's at my dudes.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

jam shorts imo

covered in cat hair ofc

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

immortalyawn posted:

The Flenser make horrible shirts fyi.

A-loving-men. So many good designs, so many terrible pieces of clothing.

Had my eye on a Converge shirt, glad to hear Kingsroad prints good shirts.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Snowy posted:

^^^^ yup

Who cares if the heavy make lasts if it fits and feels like dishrags

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH
i have wreck and reference, street sects, and bosse-de-nage shirts from the flenser and theyre all fine???

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

immortalyawn posted:

The best torn-off sleeve shirt is a thick check shirt with no sleeves and a Cannibal Corpse patch on the back.

AC/DC Fly on the Wall back patches are also acceptable if youre carrying a 6 pack ring with only 2 or 3 cans in it.

goddamn i played the poo poo out of that cassette when it came out

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Going back to Ulver chat for a second: have any of you ever met or even learned of the existence of someone who doesn't listen to metal, but is into Ulver's electronic/experimental stuff? Because I haven't, and you'd think that if a band switches genres entirely, they'll pick up at least some listeners from within the new genre. Probably a bad sign if that doesn't happen

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Smirr posted:

Going back to Ulver chat for a second: have any of you ever met or even learned of the existence of someone who doesn't listen to metal, but is into Ulver's electronic/experimental stuff? Because I haven't, and you'd think that if a band switches genres entirely, they'll pick up at least some listeners from within the new genre. Probably a bad sign if that doesn't happen

No but I met metalheads from all over the country that spent a ton of money to get to NYC to see those Ulver shows. I probably wouldn't have gone if I didn't know someone at the venue who got me in there for free.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

Smirr posted:

felix biederman seenms to fit this bill

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Blood Inside was my AOTY when it came out, but it blows my mind how much I hate it now :shrug:

Independent Trading Company make the best hoodies. My Portal one is like wearing a hug.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Speaking of bad metal shirts I don't think I've ever seen a Willowtip shirt that didn't look and feel terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

deadking posted:

Speaking of bad metal shirts I don't think I've ever seen a Willowtip shirt that didn't look and feel terrible.

the same could be said of their releases