Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Agreed, I was surprised that I didn't hate it but then it's basically the exact same film with a couple of extra bits tacked on.

I thought it subverted things pretty well and managed to tell its own story and set things up for the Carpenter movie mostly without resorting to fanservice and winking at the audience (except for the axe in the door, that was pretty clunky).

Yeah the CGI is shaky sometimes but I’ve come to terms with it, and the last act has some issues but the movie had a really troubled development and the last act got hit the hardest.

What really impressed me was the lengths they went to re: reconstructing the Norwegian camp and then making sure all the damage over the course of the movie lined up with what we see in the Carpenter movie. Broken windows, blown out walls, fire damage, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
New Thing wasn’t obviously an unfeeling, money-smeared cash-in on the original movie, but it’s nowhere near as good as it either, and I would never recommend it to anyone who wasn’t crazy about the original. I would much rather rewatch The Thing From Another World.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

skasion posted:

New Thing wasn’t obviously an unfeeling, money-smeared cash-in on the original movie, but it’s nowhere near as good as it either, and I would never recommend it to anyone who wasn’t crazy about the original. I would much rather rewatch The Thing From Another World.

It's a good movie in concept, as in lets see how the Norwegians got totally hosed up.
But it just has really really lazy writing.
For example the Thing just busts out of the ice, then RAMPAGE! No loving subtle take overs like the Carpenter version.
The lead actress is ok, but totally has a 'instantly knows everything instantly' which spoils it.
Some of the Thing creatures and take overs are ok, pity they didn't bother with proper CGI rather than save money.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Prometheus would've been borderline good (and the theories about hubris and the crew being idiots plausible instead of this rationalizations) if it didn't have a connection to the Alien franchise.

:agreed:

For me, the exact moment I went from liking Prometheus to hating it was the moment the Deacon appeared.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I was okay with the rampage stuff because the Thing had never encountered humans before so it was feeling them out; note that even in the Carpenter movie the Thing goes on a rampage in the dog kennel because it knows it can get away with it. In the prequel movie it tries the rampage thing and gets its rear end kicked, so then it wises up.

The questionable CGI was a last-minute thing, the whole movie was filmed with practical effects (done by the same guys who did Alien3, Resurrection, both AvP movies, and The Predator) and then the studio covered all the practical stuff with CGI at the last minute. The practical effects guys didn’t even know the studio had done it until the trailers started coming out, and they were piiiiiiiiiissed.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
That sounds insane. Unless the practical effects we're really poo poo.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

That sounds insane. Unless the practical effects we're really poo poo.

They were pretty good. You can find some footage of the original effects on YouTube. The practical effects guy later Kickstarted an all-practical-effects monster flick called Harbinger Down. It also kind of sucks unfortunately, but if you like b-monsters it’s worth a watch.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

skasion posted:

They were pretty good. You can find some footage of the original effects on YouTube. The practical effects guy later Kickstarted an all-practical-effects monster flick called Harbinger Down. It also kind of sucks unfortunately, but if you like b-monsters it’s worth a watch.

Yeah, look up StudioADI on YouTube, they’ve got a shitload of cool making-of stuff for a ton of movies they worked on. They’ve got a couple videos about the failed Ripley clones from Alien Resurrection, they’re pretty wild.
They recently posted a, like, half-hour video that’s nothing but concept art for The Thing prequel, it’s loving awesome.

Harbinger Down is a bit of a shame. It was made as a direct response to them getting royally hosed on the Thing prequel, but the movie isn’t that great because it’s written and directed by the head guys at StudioADI, and they are not writers and directors and it shows. The practical effects are real cool, but they’re shot and lit poorly most of the time so it really hamstrings their impact.

I backed it on Kickstarter and got Alec Gillis and Tom Woodruff Jr to sign the Blu-ray case, which is pretty cool. The movie also has Lance Henriksen and he does the best with what he’s given to work with; he never phones it in, he’s a real class act. I got to meet him at a showing of ‘Aliens’, he’s an awesome dude.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I was just thinking about that last night. After firing the pulse rifle for a while I was like, "drat, this sounds exactly like the movie." It even stutters every so often like how they fire short bursts in the movie. I don't think it cuts off your bullets when it does that but the sound is certainly there.

As strange as it sounds when it comes to games the Pulse Rifle and Smartgun are really the only weapons I ever give a poo poo about in terms of sound accuracy in any kind of game. I think its because of all the real and fictional weaponry in media there is nothing that actually sounds like them; they both have very distinct noises when fired that immediately make you think "Aliens", and I guess thats crucial when it comes to immersion.

I've got a real soft spot for Alien I think because the first ever FPS game I played was at a friends house on his Playstation. That game was Alien Trilogy and it blew my mind. Then a bit later my family got our first ever games console for Christmas - a Playstation - and one of the games bundled with it was Alien Trilogy. I hadn't seen any of the films at this point, and then my dad decided to let me stay up late one evening and watch Aliens with him.

At the end of the Playstation's life I was playing the poo poo out of Alien Resurrection (an underappreciated gem if any goons here haven't played it), and then my family got a new and pretty decent computer - and one of the first games I got after that was Aliens Versus Predator 2, which introduced me to the world of PC fps games, online multiplayer and internet forums through a site that I think was called AvP News? So I was getting introduced to all this new stuff, and this franchise was involved with loads of it.

All these years later my long term partner and I are buying a home, and I'm planning to propose. Still have them though.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

hell yeah, I had Alien Trilogy on Saturn

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
the avp beat em up deserves more love than some neca action figures i should not spend money on but want to

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGdc6APHfEw

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

WatermelonGun posted:

the avp beat em up deserves more love than some neca action figures i should not spend money on but want to

As scrollers go it loving owns, you can pull some OUTRAGEOUS combos on it. Watch from 55 seconds for some nuts Predator combo action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GgZTIqr4OA&t=55s

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 10:08 on May 10, 2019

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Olympic Mathlete posted:

As scrollers go it loving owns, you can pull some OUTRAGEOUS combos on it. Watch from 55 seconds for some nuts Predator combo action.

https://youtu.be/9GgZTIqr4OA

I loving loved this in the arcade. There was always a queue for this machine. Everyone wanted to see how it ended, or the next alien boss.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Alien Trilogy was the poo poo, and I played it at a young enough age that a lot of it actually spooked the hell out of me. I wonder if I could find a copy somewhere. And a PlayStation I guess.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Beet Wagon posted:

Alien Trilogy was the poo poo, and I played it at a young enough age that a lot of it actually spooked the hell out of me. I wonder if I could find a copy somewhere. And a PlayStation I guess.

The PS2 and PS3 both play PS1 discs, and a cursory eBay search brings up several copies of the game for about $10 shipped.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Weirdly the only thing I remember about Aliens trilogy is being very impressed with the state of their "shattering glass" graphical effect for the time it came out.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
When arcades died in my city there were plenty of auctions for coin op machines and the only reason I didn't bid on an AvP machine was lack of space in my apartment.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Aliens arcade game by Konami is, uh, something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvvgwFbHr7Q

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fister Roboto posted:

The Aliens arcade game by Konami is, uh, something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvvgwFbHr7Q

Canon.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
Roger Corman presents:
(Slightly NSFW)
[

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

There can be exceptions, I thought ‘The Thing’ prequel was really cool.

I had no idea it was a prequel. I don't tend to like prequels but I thought this was a remake which I like even less so I just didn't watch it. I saw The Thing for the first time maybe 3 years ago and just fell in love. What a great movie. Carpenter is just amazing. I might have to watch the new one now.

I love that when he first raises his hand he has this dumb poo poo eating grin on his face.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
You secure that poo poo, Hudson.

My dad is a Vietnam vet and talks like Apone to this day.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I love how active this thread is.

I’m still kicking my self for not buying the aliens 6 pack on iTunes a few weeks ago.

Which director would we like to see take on the franchise?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Neil Blumpkin no question. Sad he didn't get to make his Aliens sequel.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Owlbear Camus posted:

Neil Blumpkin no question. Sad he didn't get to make his Aliens sequel.

Isn't a blumpkin something I'd find on Urban Dictionary?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Isn't a blumpkin something I'd find on Urban Dictionary?

You won't like it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

MarcusSA posted:

I love how active this thread is.

Hell yeah dude me too. I thought I had a problem with liking Aliens so much. It's 5 months into the year and I've probably seen it at least 10 times. Seriously. At least. Albeit mostly on in the background but I always get sucked into it.

It's all because of you guys. :unsmith:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

MarcusSA posted:

Which director would we like to see take on the franchise?

Jodorowsky :v:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

DiFool vs Aliens

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lol

I was thinking Villinueva(?) my self. I think he could provide an interesting take on it.

Guillermo del Toro could be fun too.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Béla Tarr

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Fund it

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Doesn’t Disney own aliens now? So perhaps they can retcon 3 at some point in the near future? A man can dream.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kuato posted:

Doesn’t Disney own aliens now? So perhaps they can retcon 3 at some point in the near future? A man can dream.

Oh poo poo they do...

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Woah, when the gently caress did that happen? And have they done anything with it yet? Like even games or something?

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
oh hey sony just announced some asymmetrical predator game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMo1_0bFr9o
that’s the only thing they’ve put out but i can safely say this is our sistine chapel

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

WatermelonGun posted:

that’s the only thing they’ve put out but i can safely say this is our sistine chapel

:aaa: I'm so glad they are still making games in this universe.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
David Lynch is the obvious choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

WatermelonGun posted:

Oh god they got the drums. Please let me kill bland call of duty soldiers as the predator and build my own trophy rack out of their spines.