Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Been playing Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North complete edition for way too long. Fully patched up, with the fire + ice dlc, it's not bad and added some tweaks to the KB/HoMM formula. Units can gain experience that is kept over time, there is 3 different rage mechanics, runes can further buff attacks/defense/luck and most shockingly for a KB game.....there is unique HugeBoss fights in WotN.

Currently running around Hell with a party of undead Lizardmen, undead spiders, dwarven murderbots, undead behlders and constantly drunken dwarves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
All of the King's Bounty reboot series are both fun and surprisingly well-written (not usually well-plotted, but you can tell someone with a true love for making fun of the fantasy genre is writing a lot of the sidequests and incidental dialogue). Though Warriors of the North (with or without the expansion) is really just too long... I still beat it alone and with the expansion once each, mind, but Armored Princess/Crossworlds is probably the pinnacle of the new series.

If they are really done now, Dark Side was an O.K. game to end on, too, finally giving us a reason to try out the evil armies without it ruining our precious fairy/Viking coalition

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Yea KB: WotN has amusing quest/sidemission text and NPCs, especially in the orc/pirate islands.
Access to critical-hit-MEGADETH fairies came late in WotN, so vikings plus pirates/orcs were my power coalition loadouts until I discovered how amusing(powerful) the undead Lizardmen are.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Oh man, I forgot about lizardmen funtimes generally. I think my first playthrough I had a (checking names...done!) Necrox stack and a couple of other things and had a great time with it, and my second playthrough I feel like I basically found no reliable lizardmen OR undead lizardmen sources so I just skipped them entirely. Tragic; they look so good doing their thing!

I claim this thread for turn-based strategy RPG-lites

Edit: Actually I still have no idea why King's Bounty and its reboot series appeal to me so much, as I basically play nothing else in that genre.

Well wait. I guess I loved the Warlords games.

And Sword of Aragon is basically my favorite wargame ever

Oh no am I secretly a wargamer

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I have the first three of the modern King's Bounty games but have never managed to get anywhere in any of them. They are the only games in this genre I own and outside of seeing someone play HoMM3 a few times I have no experience with them.

What I did experience was fun but I just kept running in to a point where everything was an uphill battle constantly and I was constantly out of reinforcements or money. I feel like I've done something wrong, including the feeling that one wrong step on the skill tree can ruin your entire build.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

BadAstronaut posted:

gump (what's the origin of that term?)
Graphical user menu popup. Premiered in U7 as far as I know.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Zushio posted:

I have the first three of the modern King's Bounty games but have never managed to get anywhere in any of them. They are the only games in this genre I own and outside of seeing someone play HoMM3 a few times I have no experience with them.

What I did experience was fun but I just kept running in to a point where everything was an uphill battle constantly and I was constantly out of reinforcements or money. I feel like I've done something wrong, including the feeling that one wrong step on the skill tree can ruin your entire build.

The reboot KB series is built around picking your battles and exploration to get more gold/crystals/runes/leadership flags no matter what class you pick (Warrior/Skald/Soothsather). Kiting around roving enemies is a valid tactic even towards endgame when you want to save your OP loadout for tough fights. Access to rune swapping + magic crystal conversion comes about 70% into the game, best advice I have is don't go for a no-death run/Insane difficulty run(ever) and talk to everyone/explore everywhere possible as much as possible.

KB: Armored Princess/Crossworlds is probably the best game in the rebooted KB series, but Kings Bounty: The Legend is still very playable and has a decent storyline and hilarious wife and children mechanic that all the following KB games dunk on hard. Would rate KB:WotN a strong third, while KB: Dark Side was buggy as/hell/abandoned forever/never gave the option of marrying Bill Gilbert/Amelie/Olaf

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Chev posted:

Graphical user menu popup. Premiered in U7 as far as I know.

It was great in U7, as a step up from red keywords typed into U6 et al, and now I read that people don't like clicking on keywords in Wasteland 2 so I don't know what to believe.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I have all of the old first person D&D games from GoG, and I'm not sure which are worth playing, and if there's a "best" order to play them in? Also, any programs, etc. that would be helpful for mapping and such?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Mr E posted:

I have all of the old first person D&D games from GoG, and I'm not sure which are worth playing, and if there's a "best" order to play them in? Also, any programs, etc. that would be helpful for mapping and such?

I assume that you are referring to the EotB games and/or the two Ravenloft RPGs sandwiched around Menzoberranzan. In either case, or both, I would just go in order.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I have:

The Krynn games
Dark Sun Games
Ravenloft
Al-Qadim
EotB games
Menzoberranzan
Pool(s) of Radiance

Along with a couple of games included in packs with the above. I was planning on just going through release order. The only ones I've played before are one of the Ravenloft games and Pool of Radiance.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BadAstronaut posted:

It was great in U7, as a step up from red keywords typed into U6 et al, and now I read that people don't like clicking on keywords in Wasteland 2 so I don't know what to believe.

Clicking on keywords was like the one absolutely good thing about WL2

Well that and having the WL1 default party there as actual characters. RIP Ace, you were a bro

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
You do Ace a disservice by lumping him in with the default party, as he was one of a tiny handful of joinable NPCs who actually had anything resembling a backstory!

R.I.P. Ace, literally the only auto mechanic to survive the apocalypse

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Ace was the Wasteland 1 recruitable NPC that you find naked + half-dead in a rape dungeon. Christina was the bad-rear end NPC of Wasteland 1, equipped with a rad suit + geiger counter plus an Uzi.

Beat Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North Fire and Ice early this week. As Quarex said, the side-quests and incidental text showed a true love for the fantasy genre + making fun of it at the same time. Orc side-quests were my favorites, enabling one orc to live out his Guybrush Threepwood dreams was touching. Hardest/most annoying fights in KN:WotN I+F for me were the quasi-Disgaea item battles and battles with lots of snakes. Quasi-Disgaea item battles had narrow pathing + enemy towers spamming the hilarious-if-its-not-you Sheep spell, while snake battles always felt super-slow and drawnout even with maximum animation speed.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 12, 2019

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Wow, Arcanum was really fun. Solid plotting that is just the right length. They did a lot of things well, but it shows its age when it comes to quest acquisition/tracking.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Anyone know what a sealed copy of Deathlord might be worth?

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Waltzing Along posted:

Anyone know what a sealed copy of Deathlord might be worth?

my brief googling showed a used copy on amazon for $49.99, but i have no idea if that's competitive. nothing on ebay

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Too bad it's not a sealed copy of one of the biggies.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I know it's not old school, but I have to hype the just released Druidstone, the latest release from the Grimrock guys. It's really loving good people.

It's mission based fantasy X-Com and an absolute steal at £20.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Ace was the Wasteland 1 recruitable NPC that you find naked + half-dead in a rape dungeon. .

:catstare: I do not remember this

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Edit: Wrong thread lol

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Havant seen this mentioned yet - an old school PlayStation RPG becoming a new old school PC RPG, and thus should be in this Megathread. Wizardry Labyrinth of Lost Souls launching next week:

https://www.rpgsite.net/news/8489-wizardry-labyrinth-of-lost-souls-launches-for-pc-on-may-29

Also, Druidstone looks really good but I'll need to wait a while given how much else I've got to play at the moment!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

BadAstronaut posted:

Havant seen this mentioned yet - an old school PlayStation RPG becoming a new old school PC RPG, and thus should be in this Megathread. Wizardry Labyrinth of Lost Souls launching next week:

https://www.rpgsite.net/news/8489-wizardry-labyrinth-of-lost-souls-launches-for-pc-on-may-29

Also, Druidstone looks really good but I'll need to wait a while given how much else I've got to play at the moment!

Man, I still have this on my old PS3. One of these days I should go back and try to finish it.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Deptfordx posted:

I know it's not old school, but I have to hype the just released Druidstone, the latest release from the Grimrock guys. It's really loving good people.

Game looks good, seeing it priced at $24 USD, going to hold off buying it until it gets a few months of patches.
Boggling my mind that the british pound exchange rate is still that high, despite everything Brexit thats happened for the past 20+ months.
Brexit means Brexit?

precision posted:

:catstare: I do not remember this

Quartz/gang hideout building/the dungeon-basement under the bartender/Ace is locked up in one of the "prison" cells.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Well we haven't catastrophically crashed out of the EU yet. Wait till November and you can probably pick it up for $1.99.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

BadAstronaut posted:

I know there are loads of Japanese Wizardries (Wizardys? gently caress off), is this one of the good ones? I think the best is meant to be Tales of the Forsaken Land?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm starting JA2 for the first time in years (with 1.13) obviously and cannot remember what character builds should look like for the life of me. I was going to make my IMP a stealthy lad with throwing knives whose main purpose would be sneaking around bases picking off key threats/targets and opening doors and that before any real fighting started. Is that at all feasible?

I also remember something about how all IMPs should have dual SMGs but I assume I dreamed that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I know there are loads of Japanese Wizardries (Wizardys? gently caress off), is this one of the good ones? I think the best is meant to be Tales of the Forsaken Land?

Yeah it's really good. It's more traditional Wizardry than Forsaken Land, in both good and bad ways. Overall I like Forsaken Land better.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Deptfordx posted:

It owns, it's the Gloomhaven / D&D4 crossover I didn't know I always wanted.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm starting JA2 for the first time in years (with 1.13) obviously and cannot remember what character builds should look like for the life of me. I was going to make my IMP a stealthy lad with throwing knives whose main purpose would be sneaking around bases picking off key threats/targets and opening doors and that before any real fighting started. Is that at all feasible?

I also remember something about how all IMPs should have dual SMGs but I assume I dreamed that.
You may want to ask in the Jagged Alliance thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3053233

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

oh I had a look and couldn't find one, cheers

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

can someone explain what happened to Chris Avellone exactly

https://twitter.com/MOOMANiBE/status/1134507835306401793?s=19

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

can someone explain what happened to Chris Avellone exactly

https://twitter.com/MOOMANiBE/status/1134507835306401793?s=19

1) He's always been bad but was way better at hiding it (see also: Myron)

2) Turns out making nazi-forums that suck you off your main internet place to post leads to some bad stuff!

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
He lost his drat mind, lot of that going around. You hate to see it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Saw a ChudChad the other day.

Horrible creatures.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
Wait, what's wrong with Avellone saying he wants to write his games apolitically?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

drkeiscool posted:

Wait, what's wrong with Avellone saying he wants to write his games apolitically?

Many assholes who identify as “anti-SJW” critique SJWs as “trying to inject politics and political views” into inappropriate venues. This is an innately political judgement that favors the status quo, with a goal that seeks to dismiss merited criticism.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Chris Avellone wrote Alpha Protocol, which is critical of both the War in Terror and the Military-Industrial Complex. It’s incredibly ridiculous for him to claim it’s apolitical.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
After reading more of the article, I think what he was trying to say was that instead of explicitly supporting one position over another, he presents a scenario and then leaves it up to the player to decide what they support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

drkeiscool posted:

After reading more of the article, I think what he was trying to say was that instead of explicitly supporting one position over another, he presents a scenario and then leaves it up to the player to decide what they support.
He's trying to say a lot of conflicting things. What he says in longform is "I don't like preachy writing, politics in games is cool as long as it meshes with the rest of the content and lets the player explore." That's a little restrictive, but makes sense in the context of what he writes. However he leads with "I'm apolitical, games are entertainment, I don't condone political content in games at all" which is a ridiculous position on every level, and one to which he does not adhere to so why is he saying it?