Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This just in: Staff Slings are garbage weapons for babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

marshmallow creep posted:

I was going to ask if someone has a link to a list of good seeds.
https://bb.frukso.se/rated

The starting traits can't really be counted on any more, what with the different starts.

Probably going to do a peasant militia game myself. Sure, limiting your hiring pool sucks, but going from 12 guydudes in combat up to 16 is a big bonus.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 9, 2019

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Started some woodsmen. Having 3 archers right off the bat is really nice, until the enemies close to melee range. Then you're hosed. I've burned through a half-dozen farmers and daytalers as meat shields.
Also, barbarians are terrifying the first time you run into them. Use your defensive abilities, just hacking away at them is a losing race since they can output more damage than you and their weapons make your armor kinda irrelevant. But they're fragile, at least the thralls are.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Night10194 posted:

This just in: Staff Slings are garbage weapons for babies.

i am currently in a battle where the enemy brigand raiders aren't going to leave their fortified position to assail my fortified position

i have one (1) staff sling on a guy with 49 ranged skill

this might take a while

Osci posted:

Seeds from the last patch seem to still work

You know I probably should have tested it.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
I wonder if the slings would make a good backup ranged weapon for when you run out of arrows.
Usually you're stuck in at that point and a decently range-skilled bro will hit with two shots, and that 100% daze on a headshot is attractive...

Boy is it a disappointing weapon to start with though.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I gave my staff sling to a bro named something like “gary the idiot” so that seemed appropriate.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My Hedge Knight is averaging 4 kills a battle.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The barbarians emphasize everything that is good in this game. Really really enjoying fighting them.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

angry poo poo-covered peasant mob is peak gaming.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I wish I could make my Hedge Knight fight Hogart.

Osci
Oct 11, 2016
The one use I see of the staff sling is as a rank 2 weapon that can hurt early game skeletons. It also helps when you don't have the men at that point to just swap out your archers.
Once the skeletons stop being naked you will have to do something else, but by that point you should hopefully have proper polearms.

Also, fighting barbarians is really fun. They kinda remind me of all the good things about fighting orcs, without feeling screwed when lacking indomitable.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The barbarians definitely fill that difficulty gap between raiders and other stuff, the Chosen aren't NPC Hedge Knight tough, but they're still very scary.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Unholds are just big sacks of hitpoints, right? Only those tamed by the Barbarians have armor.

Wouldn't that make the new whip a great weapon against them? Stack a ton of bleeds without the need to get too close?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
So, uh, when a barbarian camp challenges you to a duel of champions, it creates an actual 1v1 battle between a Chosen and your guy. :stare:

Rip Hermann the expendable farmer, cut clean in half.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm trying to start a new game but I can't decide which company origin to pick :shepicide:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Nordick posted:

I'm trying to start a new game but I can't decide which company origin to pick :shepicide:

Militia, raiders, and cultists all seem like hilarious shitshows early game in different ways. I've messed with all three but my main game is militia atm.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
so can you use an old, good seed that had bad bros now with a different origin and get good bros?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I've been trying my luck with Beast Hunters so far, since I never really got to use them in the base game.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Watching my Hedge Knight carry the fuckups they've picked up so far is great. The various millers and butchers running around screaming as the giant armored mountain steps up and cuts three more dudes in half to save them.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

so can you use an old, good seed that had bad bros now with a different origin and get good bros?

Yep!

Although I'm just using your super-trade map. :v:

edit also looking for a map with good bros as a peasant militia start feels like it's going against the spirit of the thing

you're supposed to have like 3-5 vaguely okay bros in the pile of garbage, and fire/slaughter your way down to them

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 10, 2019

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Whoof, when the Northern Raiders origin says you start with bad relations with most human factions, it ain't loving kidding. I went with that origin and literally the entire northern half of the map is hostile to me. Had to weasel my way south, dodging militia and noble companies along the way. My three starter guys all had base ~60 melee skill and talent stars in it though, so that's cool.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Yep!

Although I'm just using your super-trade map. :v:

edit also looking for a map with good bros as a peasant militia start feels like it's going against the spirit of the thing

you're supposed to have like 3-5 vaguely okay bros in the pile of garbage, and fire/slaughter your way down to them

Which is the super trade map?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I just hired a cripple and :stare:

I'm naming him Yoda

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The poacher start is cursed. You will not hit a single attack with hitchance <60%

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I noticed the Barbarian start loot ability means they'll sometimes capture completely destroyed enemy armors so you can fix them.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
I’ve got to find time to try this. Do the new starts vary your beginning stats much? I’d hate to start with a one lunged cowardly hedge knight.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
There seems to be a general baseline stats. I've only done the poacher start, but for that you get three bros with at least a star in ranged attack and a minimum skill level. Traits are random though, so I saw things like cocky, tough, fragile, etc. among the bros.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Wafflecopper posted:

I just hired a cripple and :stare:

I'm naming him Yoda

He's not even close to good enough to make the cut. Those stats are hilariously bad. I wouldn't take him even as a shield bro.

Caros
May 14, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Militia, raiders, and cultists all seem like hilarious shitshows early game in different ways. I've messed with all three but my main game is militia atm.

I have lost more bros with my peasent game today than I have in pretty much my whole playtime otherwise.

I'm normally super conservative, but they are cheap to replace, and most of them are going to get replaced anyways, so I don't care if Steve limps into battle with a shattered leg, a missing eye and gets shot by man with crossbow.

Saves me from paying out his contract.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

gently caress man without that Hoggart fight it's kind of different and hard getting set up. I lost 2 of my 3 starters in new company to bullshit.

That hedge knight's looking tempting as heck tho.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The Lord Bude posted:

He's not even close to good enough to make the cut. Those stats are hilariously bad. I wouldn't take him even as a shield bro.

I mean fatigue will be an issue and morale isn't great but considering this is super early in the game I'm more than happy with base 44 and 3 stars in melee and 2 stars each in the defences, not to mention the deathwish trait, for 70 gold. But whatever man have fun savescumming the perfect party of ubermensch

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

The Lord Bude posted:

gently caress it the man deserves to serve. He was clearly a hero once.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
WizardStyles and I will do some fiddling and get back to the thread with our feedback.

HA are you gonna update your steam guide?

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Personally I think stars are overrated and plain old high starting numbers are underrated. 44 and three stars maxes out the same as 59 and zero (on average), and the 59 would be better while leveling (again, on average). I wouldn’t say he’s unhirable though.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

BurningStone posted:

Personally I think stars are overrated and plain old high starting numbers are underrated. 44 and three stars maxes out the same as 59 and zero (on average), and the 59 would be better while leveling (again, on average). I wouldn’t say he’s unhirable though.

Pretty sure the absolutely correct answer is that both 44 with 3* and 59 with no stars will both end up being not good enough in the end.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I took a stab at a Cultist start and wasn't thrilled by it. At the most basic level it plays like an ordinary start, only your initial brothers aren't good and you don't get an archer. Cultists are easier to find as recruits, but they seem to like spawning with pieces from a new set of cultist armor that make them prohibitively expensive for an early game company, especially considering that they otherwise aren't great fighters.

...as to *why* you're going to be worried so much about recruiting Cultists...it turns out the developers were not being dramatic when they said that non-Cultists were disturbed by the rituals. I had my new company going steady at 10 men when Davkul asked for one of them, and by the next day we numbered 5 because everyone who wasn't one of the flock deserted.

BurningStone posted:

You want to find brothers with good base stats and stars if you're trying to get into lategame content. You are right though that no number of stars can make up for abysmal starting attributes, and a guy with terrible stats and great stars is just garbage while a guy with good base numbers but no prospects can at least fill out the line in the early game.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 10, 2019

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Barbarians are a little annoying because I'm locked into working for the few people who don't hate me while building up.

Every now and then, I get bored, backslide, and go raid caravans. I like the imagine the lovely good luck charm monk screaming at me the whole time. Also he is my bannerman.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Starting as a raider band you should just go explore and attack sites forever unless you lucked into being buddies with a really big faction.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao well I found a map seed NOT to use.

FMUICHCPRA will start your peasants on an island in the corner of the map with two towns on it. It's impossible to leave the island by foot because the water is too wide. Both towns have a harbour, and each one is willing to ferry you to the other town but nowhere else. You cannot leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
A coworker was telling me that rare and legendary items can only be found in ironman mode. I'm pretty sure he's crazy.

He is crazy, isn't he?