Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Update Android System Webview unless it's disabled?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.webview

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

This did it! Thanks.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So with the new navigation guestures in Android 10 I've already exited the Awful app instead of opening the sidebar twice.

Obviously I'm super duper early on this, but what are people thinking about how to handle that? Are we about to see every Android app move to iOS style bottom tabs?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
And what about iOS-style thread posting?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

They already rolled back the storage change so I'm not too worried about them breaking a major Android ux pattern used by most apps of the last 5 years

Well get there when we get there.

pokeyman posted:

And what about iOS-style thread posting?

Android style thread posting will use the Google Assistant and Duplex to automatically create shitposts powered by AI machine learning.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I can't rate threads. When I select a number, I get a message that says, "An error occurred while voting, please try again."

And yes, webview is up to date. Also, I don't use Chrome.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Hello. I like your app.

But its stopped working? Since like a week ago or something you can navigate round the forums but as soon as you select a thread to read it just goes blank. Like theres the blue header with the title and buttons and the black footer with the page navigation stuff, and the little progress bar shoots across but the actual interesting (lol) bit just stays blank white forever.

I've logged out and back in and nope. I think its the latest one 3.6.5.

I have an old android version i guess, 6 marshmallow but it always used to work? I don't actually know how to update this lol there's no button.

Does anyone know why its broke?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Hello. I like your app.

But its stopped working? Since like a week ago or something you can navigate round the forums but as soon as you select a thread to read it just goes blank. Like theres the blue header with the title and buttons and the black footer with the page navigation stuff, and the little progress bar shoots across but the actual interesting (lol) bit just stays blank white forever.

I've logged out and back in and nope. I think its the latest one 3.6.5.

I have an old android version i guess, 6 marshmallow but it always used to work? I don't actually know how to update this lol there's no button.

Does anyone know why its broke?

Update Chrome and the Android Web View, if you have it.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Countdown to "hey thanks that worked!"...

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Kheldarn posted:

I can't rate threads. When I select a number, I get a message that says, "An error occurred while voting, please try again."

And yes, webview is up to date. Also, I don't use Chrome.

Same

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Countdown to "hey thanks that worked!"...

Sorry doofus, I already did my due diligence and read back as many pages as I could before asking, all apps are up to date and I installed the web view thing which I apparently didn't have before but I understand to be something thats been split out of chrome or something?

I've just checked again and there doesn't seem to be any updates available for anything and still a blank screen?

Like no worries, no ones getting paid or owt, I suppose I'm just more wondering why and if anyone else has the same problem?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Is this stock Marshmallow? App's up to date? Tried logging out and back in? What phone are you using?

Using Chrome is a Nougat and up thing, so you just need to make sure Android System Webview is up to date. There was another issue recently with cookies expiring, and instead of logging you out it just failed with a blank page, but that was fixed last update

Kheldarn posted:

Yeah that's fixed in the next version

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

baka kaba posted:

Is this stock Marshmallow? App's up to date? Tried logging out and back in? What phone are you using?

Using Chrome is a Nougat and up thing, so you just need to make sure Android System Webview is up to date. There was another issue recently with cookies expiring, and instead of logging you out it just failed with a blank page, but that was fixed last update

I dunno if its stock, marshmallow, its what came on the phone 18 months ago I think. Its an elephone p9000, please do not be racist to my strange chinese phone. The only thing that makes me wonder is the vodafone app gives me a warning about running it on rooted devices which I dunno if its accusing me of having a rooted device or just mentioning it in general but I haven't knowingly rooted anything.

All apps are up to date and I've logged out and back in quite a few times in various circumstances to try and flush out whatever going on. But nope, still blank screens.

I didn't have android system webview installed until just a few days ago when I read about it in this thread. Its installed and up to date and hasn't made any difference.

The app worked swimmingly until like 2 weeks ago maybe.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The only thing that makes me wonder is the vodafone app gives me a warning about running it on rooted devices which I dunno if its accusing me of having a rooted device or just mentioning it in general but I haven't knowingly rooted anything.
That's very, very odd. If my phone started doing things like that, regardless of who made it, I would factory reset it.

I don't mean to get you all paranoid but has your phone been in the possession of a law enforcement officer for an extended period of time recently?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

asecondduck posted:

That's very, very odd. If my phone started doing things like that, regardless of who made it, I would factory reset it.

I don't mean to get you all paranoid but has your phone been in the possession of a law enforcement officer for an extended period of time recently?

No I don't think anyone else has had their hands on it. I've only seen a message like that with the vodafone app I think, and probably since I've had the phone. I suppose the problem with a factory reset, other than losing all my stuff and the faff, is that its probably the factory that put whatever on it?

Sorry this is probably derailing a bit from the awful app stuff.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
It sounds like your phone has a custom webview, so look for a system app update, probably in settings/about somewhere.

If not then you might be able to disable that so it falls back to the proper one. Go to settings/system/apps and click "Show system" to find it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Oben posted:

It sounds like your phone has a custom webview, so look for a system app update, probably in settings/about somewhere.

If not then you might be able to disable that so it falls back to the proper one. Go to settings/system/apps and click "Show system" to find it.

Oh ok thanks this sounds promising.

So I can see all these other scary sounding apps in the list now. There are two entries for android system webview, a big one that matches the icon of the one I downloaded and a little tiny one that doesn't. It wasn't but I have now disabled it. You cant disable the big one. But I also tried uninstalling it. Every combination. Lol it still doesn't work.

If it means anything i can browse the forums in chrome on the phone fine.

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

Maybe you need to enable developer options in the settings and set the webview in there to the updated one that you installed?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Re: the root thing, see what a root checker says? (I recommend the one by joeykrim)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Oh ok thanks this sounds promising.

So I can see all these other scary sounding apps in the list now. There are two entries for android system webview, a big one that matches the icon of the one I downloaded and a little tiny one that doesn't. It wasn't but I have now disabled it. You cant disable the big one. But I also tried uninstalling it. Every combination. Lol it still doesn't work.

If it means anything i can browse the forums in chrome on the phone fine.

Yeah looks like Elephone stuck their own WebView implementation in there, usually the way that works is even if you install the Google one the system will always use the Elephone version. (Chrome uses its own, built into the app, so that's always up to date.) So you'd need to update your phone (if they bundle in a webview update) or there's some people here going on about rooting to fix it, I dunno:
https://bbs.elephone.hk/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=13239&extra=&ordertype=2&page=2

The app hasn't updated in a month, and the last update was fixing some error handling, so unless you were holding onto a much older version until recently there shouldn't be any breaking changes. If it's suddenly started acting weird and saying you're rooted etc that might point to something else going on, but root shouldn't matter. There looks like a Nougat update on the Elephone site but you're on your own with that buddy

e- also if you tap the webview icon with the globe, what version does it say it's on?

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 14, 2019

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I installed the root checker recommended above and it says no I'm not rooted so dunno what Vodafone's problem is. It did say there is a 7.0 android available though as baka says above.

the android webview thing with the globe says version 44.0.2403.119 whatever that means. Although I have disabled that now as far as i can see.

I guess I just need to do the big 1gb update to android 7 linked in baka kaba's post.

Thanks everyone and probably don't worry about it anymore. If I can assemble the energies to update I'll report back if it works for I dunno a sense of closure. Cheers.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Well the current actual webview version is 74.0.stuff so yeaaaah that's a little behind. If that's what you've been using this whole time the app wouldn't have worked for ages, unless you were on a really old version?

Like that's what I need to know really, if it was fine and stopped working then that's a mystery and maybe there's a fix. If you had app updates disabled and you only just updated Awful, that makes a lot more sense

Also Nougat uses Chrome for its webview by default, and there's a developer option to switch to the internal system webview instead, but I have no idea if Elephone sets theirs as the default and maybe even blocks the Chrome one. There's no good reason why they should, but who the heck knows

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

baka kaba posted:

Well the current actual webview version is 74.0.stuff so yeaaaah that's a little behind. If that's what you've been using this whole time the app wouldn't have worked for ages, unless you were on a really old version?

Like that's what I need to know really, if it was fine and stopped working then that's a mystery and maybe there's a fix. If you had app updates disabled and you only just updated Awful, that makes a lot more sense

Also Nougat uses Chrome for its webview by default, and there's a developer option to switch to the internal system webview instead, but I have no idea if Elephone sets theirs as the default and maybe even blocks the Chrome one. There's no good reason why they should, but who the heck knows

I don't know what version of the app I was on but it was definitely working until just a week or two ago. I have played with the auto updating from when I was on a metered connection so it is possible that I was on an old version I guess. If you think thats most likely then that probably is it and explains it.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Hi, I've been using the Awful app for a while, and it works great, save for one specific case: every time i tap the three dots to quote a post, the app crashes. Has this happened to anyone else? It's been happening for the past two versions of the app.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Needs a branch for FireOS suckers like me that points to :rip:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Change the thread title to this tia

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I just thought I'd post to let you know the app is working like a champ and I have a fully up to date Chrome and WebView.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

CPColin posted:

Needs a branch for FireOS suckers like me that points to :rip:

Fixed.

Since Amazon just has to be a special snowflake and roll their own Chromium fork webview that they update whenever they feel like it, while not allowing you to switch over to the basic Android Webview or Chrome's. :thumbsup:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Add another branch:

iPhone? -> go to the iOS app thread.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Carbon dioxide posted:

Add another branch:

iPhone? -> go to the iOS app thread.

iPhone? -> GTFO

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I prefer iOS -> You'll do as you're told by Apple

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Hi friends, I've got a bit of a weird issue with inconsistent twitter embeds. You can see here the same tweet embedding and not embedding on the same page (both in quote blocks):

I'm assuming this is all on twitter's end but the inconsistency of it made me curious.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah the code is literally "run Twitter's embed script" and it's only half doing it on some URLs, also twitter is bad and likes to complain about rate limiting, so I assume it's something to do with embedding multiple copies of the same tweet or too many tweets on a page

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Yeah I've seen this happening more frequently lately, they probably hosed with their code recently.
We'll have to optimize this somewhat I guess.
Might as well also remove that stupid referral parameter added to the link while we're at it

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Sereri posted:

Might as well also remove that stupid referral parameter added to the link while we're at it

This would be the best possible enhancement I could think of

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

So this is probably not Awful.apk's fault, but when highlighting texts and using web search it uses the silly Samsung Internet app instead of set-as-default Firefox. Is there another place to check besides default apps in Android settings?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Illiterate Clitoris posted:

So this is probably not Awful.apk's fault, but when highlighting texts and using web search it uses the silly Samsung Internet app instead of set-as-default Firefox. Is there another place to check besides default apps in Android settings?

On my Pixel with Kiwi Browser set as the default every app I can find that will allow me to highlight text and do a web search does so in the Google app except Kiwi. I *think* this is because under Settings > Apps > Default Apps > Opening Links, I have the Google app set to open some links (Kiwi is greyed out in its settings). I have not done it, but perhaps changing this to "Ask every time" would change the behavior. Try looking there to see if Samsung Internet has Don't Open Supported Links as its choice.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Party Boat posted:

Hi friends, I've got a bit of a weird issue with inconsistent twitter embeds. You can see here the same tweet embedding and not embedding on the same page (both in quote blocks):

I'm assuming this is all on twitter's end but the inconsistency of it made me curious.

I'm running into this to especially in tweet heavy threads like the ones in D&D. Yes, I realize I'm dumb for posting in D&D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Same issue here