Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hed posted:

But muh gigabytes

Oh yeah I forgot they had limited skus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

MarcusSA posted:

Oh yeah I forgot they had limited skus

Online?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I brought my 2017 MBP in because the keyboard had the known sticky key issue. The CS person told me that the repaired keyboard was still using the "old" design, and that the topcases hadn't been changed in any way to counteract that. Furthermore, she told me the extended warranty only extends to 3 years after it was sold. Is that true? Should I expect the same issue to pop up in another year or two?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

I brought my 2017 MBP in because the keyboard had the known sticky key issue. The CS person told me that the repaired keyboard was still using the "old" design, and that the topcases hadn't been changed in any way to counteract that. Furthermore, she told me the extended warranty only extends to 3 years after it was sold. Is that true? Should I expect the same issue to pop up in another year or two?

Yes.

Apple still says it's dust or crumbs. I don't think there's been enough time to gauge reliability on the new designs. If they fail at the same rate as the old ones Apple will probably extend the warranties on 2018's and up. I don't know if they'll extend older models though. At what point would Apple consider your laptop 'old'. 4 or 5 years?

What kind of validation does Apple do when you bring it in for a keyboard issue? Like if I say it's occasionally duplicating keystrokes, do I have to demonstrate it or do they take it at face value? Knowing my luck my keyboard will start crapping out right after the repair period ends.

alecm
Aug 20, 2004

Lorraine, I'm your density. I mean . . . your destiny.
The 12" MacBook is a no-buy right? Even for someone who values size and weight above performance, the 13" MacBook Air is clearly superior, right?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

alecm posted:

The 12" MacBook is a no-buy right? Even for someone who values size and weight above performance, the 13" MacBook Air is clearly superior, right?

Yes.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Krispy Wafer posted:

What kind of validation does Apple do when you bring it in for a keyboard issue? Like if I say it's occasionally duplicating keystrokes, do I have to demonstrate it or do they take it at face value? Knowing my luck my keyboard will start crapping out right after the repair period ends.

One of mine they didn’t check at all, the other they clearly saw the 2 key or whatever stoped working and that was that.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

So, despite this thread's warnings and my better judgement, I went ahead and bought an Aorus Gaming Box 2070 eGPU to play Monster Hunter with on my 2016 15" MBP with the Radeon Pro 460.

Initially, I found a guide on eGPU.io that had some absolutely insane tweaks that I followed, to the letter, but couldn't get the loving thing to work for the life of me.

Turns out, that guide was old as hell and as of Windows 10 v1809, nVidia GPUs are literally plug-and-play on essentially all MBPs under Bootcamp.

But, still, it didn't loving work.

It arrived around 11AM on Sunday, I've been troubleshooting non-stop since then. It's 8:15 PM on Monday.

Finally, I got it to load, recognized by Windows, installed drivers, undid all of the dumb and insanely complicated, WH40K-style Techpriest "Burn Incense to Make the Tank Run" rituals, and managed to run Valley, only to find massive artifacting and other extremely obvious signs of a bad GPU and/or memory controller.

So, as it all turned out, after formatting and re-installing Windows in Bootcamp for the 5th time this week, it actually IS as simple as plugging the thing in after Windows loads and letting it auto-install drivers...

...as long as the GPU inside of the box isn't fried.

The replacement should be here on Thursday, so if THAT doesn't work, I'm going to give up forever on this stupid loving venture that I hate more than anything and wish I never embarked on.

Next time I'll just listen to the thread. MHW is actually enjoyably playable on the dGPU, albeit looking more like a 3DS port and running at about 25 FPS. I could have been playing a fun game this whole time instead of reading arcane troubleshooting guides and installing 8 different bootloaders with "community developed" hacks.

forbidden dialectics fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 7, 2019

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

As much as people tried to warn you for your sake I really hope it works for you.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

As much as people tried to warn you for your sake I really hope it works for you.

I have faith that the Emperor will guide my righteous hand, as I speak the words of prayers, involving a questionable bash script and impeccable timing.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i say Godspeed and keep us updated. I wish I had the $$$ to do that. Shine on you crazy diamond

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I get the appeal of having a MacBook that you can plug a graphics card into and game with, I totally do. Ever since I bootcamped XP onto my first gen MacBook so I could play Portal, eleven years ago (Jesus I'm old) the idea of a Mac that can also game has been a compelling one. And most Macs these days do... ok with gaming. Indies and games a few years old are certainly playable. I played the MacOS port of Arkham City with my Steam controller on my mid 2015 MBP a couple years back--the resolution was pretty low, though setting it to 1/4 the native res didn't look too bad.

Maybe in a few years the eGPU docks will have come down in price and effort enough to maybe be feasible, but honestly right now you're really better off building an ~$800 gaming PC or just buying a console. Heck, $800 would actually get you a PS4 (for those AAA games) and a Switch for the indies and portable gaming goodness.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Problem description: I am trying to use my iMac as a second monitor for my Macbook Pro. I am trying to do this with a Thunderbolt 2 cable. Supposedly, pressing command + F2 brings up "target display mode" but nothing happens, on either computer when I do this.

Attempted fixes: In "Network" in System Preferences, the computers are recognizing that they are connected with the Thunderbolt cable. There is a bridge and I am able to transfer files from one to the other.

Recent changes: No

--

Operating system: iMac: MacOS High Sierra Version 10.13.6
MacBook Pro: same

System specs: iMac: 21.5 inch, Mid-2011. 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB 1333 Mhz DDR3. AMD Radeon HD 6750M 521 MB

Macbook Pro: A1502 EMC 2875. Retina, 13-Inch, Mid 2014
2.6 Ghz Intel Core i5
8GB 1600 Mhz DDR3
Intel Iris 1536MB

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Problem description: I am trying to use my iMac as a second monitor for my Macbook Pro. I am trying to do this with a Thunderbolt 2 cable. Supposedly, pressing command + F2 brings up "target display mode" but nothing happens, on either computer when I do this.

Attempted fixes: In "Network" in System Preferences, the computers are recognizing that they are connected with the Thunderbolt cable. There is a bridge and I am able to transfer files from one to the other.

Recent changes: No

--

Operating system: iMac: MacOS High Sierra Version 10.13.6
MacBook Pro: same

System specs: iMac: 21.5 inch, Mid-2011. 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB 1333 Mhz DDR3. AMD Radeon HD 6750M 521 MB

Macbook Pro: A1502 EMC 2875. Retina, 13-Inch, Mid 2014
2.6 Ghz Intel Core i5
8GB 1600 Mhz DDR3
Intel Iris 1536MB

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes
We've had people use this setup at work and the two computers need to be connected via the Thunderbolt cable and both need to be on and booted into Mac OS (the target monitor may need to be logged in as well). The keyboard that you press CMD+F2 on (might need to be CMD+Fn+F2 depending on the keyboard) should be connected to the target iMac you're trying to use as a monitor.

You're definitely using a Thunderbolt cable and not a mini-DisplayPort cable? You may want to boot the iMac into target disk mode to check you can mount the drive on your MacBook Pro over Thunderbolt just to confirm connectivity between the two over TB.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Mercurius posted:

We've had people use this setup at work and the two computers need to be connected via the Thunderbolt cable and both need to be on and booted into Mac OS (the target monitor may need to be logged in as well). The keyboard that you press CMD+F2 on (might need to be CMD+Fn+F2 depending on the keyboard) should be connected to the target iMac you're trying to use as a monitor.

You're definitely using a Thunderbolt cable and not a mini-DisplayPort cable? You may want to boot the iMac into target disk mode to check you can mount the drive on your MacBook Pro over Thunderbolt just to confirm connectivity between the two over TB.

First of all, apologies to the mods...meant to post this in the Haus :q:

I confirmed connectivity, all is plugged in and logged on. Command+F2+fn (because it's a macbook) just makes the tone of "this doesn't do anything". I really don't know else.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

asecondduck posted:

I get the appeal of having a MacBook that you can plug a graphics card into and game with, I totally do. Ever since I bootcamped XP onto my first gen MacBook so I could play Portal, eleven years ago (Jesus I'm old) the idea of a Mac that can also game has been a compelling one. And most Macs these days do... ok with gaming. Indies and games a few years old are certainly playable. I played the MacOS port of Arkham City with my Steam controller on my mid 2015 MBP a couple years back--the resolution was pretty low, though setting it to 1/4 the native res didn't look too bad.

Maybe in a few years the eGPU docks will have come down in price and effort enough to maybe be feasible, but honestly right now you're really better off building an ~$800 gaming PC or just buying a console. Heck, $800 would actually get you a PS4 (for those AAA games) and a Switch for the indies and portable gaming goodness.

I mean, yeah. But I live out of a hotel 2-3 weeks a month, travelling for work, and I already have to carry two laptops with me (work laptop + personal laptop, the MBP). The idea of carrying THREE laptops with me is a little much (since anything with a battery has to go in your carry-on now, and even my lovely work-issued laptop has an internal, non-removable battery), and I like the idea of carrying a PS4 around even less - nevermind that I can't use a controller to save my life.

The plan was that I can just stash the eGPU in my checked luggage since it doesn't have a battery in it, and then I'm not running around the airport with 20 lbs of electronics dangling from my shoulder.

This is probably an absurdly specific use case, but the Aorus Box is only $650, with a desktop RTX2070 in it. Even with the gimped TB3 bandwidth using the internal display, there's no gaming laptop for that kind of money that can deliver the same kind of performance that doesn't also have a lovely TN panel and keyboard.

Fingers crossed that the replacement one actually works. I feel it in my bones.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
This is literally what they made the Nintendo Switch for.

But also goonspeed, I like your chutzpah. Did you go with the Aorus because it’s more portable than something like a Razer Core? Also I get wanting to use NVidia on Windows but wouldn’t you potentially be better served with an AMD-based dealie that can also work with MacOS?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Anything even remotely electronic-looking in checked baggage is liable to be stolen.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

First of all, apologies to the mods...meant to post this in the Haus :q:

I confirmed connectivity, all is plugged in and logged on. Command+F2+fn (because it's a macbook) just makes the tone of "this doesn't do anything". I really don't know else.
Press the keys on the keyboard plugged into the iMac, not the MacBook. It’s just a monitor as far as the MacBook’s concerned.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

12” Retina Macbook at Best Buy for $799

https://slickdeals.net/f/13065562-a...trsrc=undefined

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

But also goonspeed, I like your chutzpah. Did you go with the Aorus because it’s more portable than something like a Razer Core? Also I get wanting to use NVidia on Windows but wouldn’t you potentially be better served with an AMD-based dealie that can also work with MacOS?

The Aorus is more portable and like $300 less (and RTX 2070 by itself is ~$500). The Razer Core doesn't come with a pre-installed card, but has the advantage of a much more robust PSU and ability to fit full-size cards.

nVidia cards actually do work in Mac OS with some simple-ish hacks, and are much easier to get working in Windows (literally plug and play). AMD cards have issues in Windows with the AMD dGPUs in MBPs, but also work with some hacks. People actually run multi-eGPU setups, which is a whole other level of insanity.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

The replacement arrived and *drumroll*

It finally. loving. Works.

Here's valley on the stock dGPU (Radeon Pro 460)

And running on the 2070 eGPU:

The valley score is definitely low, even for an eGPU setup (comparable results I've seen are closer to 4000). This is running the default drivers that install automatically in Windows; I'll update to the newest ones and see what happens (...after creating a restore point, I've been down this road!)

But I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth at this point. It WORKS, I can gently caress around with optimizing it later.

I started with a clean install in Windows 10 in Bootcamp, installed all available updates. Then hotplugged the eGPU into the right side USB-C port, and lets Windows do it's thing. It updated, installed the drivers, but I got the infamous "Error 12". So I "uninstalled device" the 2070, unplugged the eGPU from the laptop (and the electric socket), disabled the left side USB-C ports and the Webcam, shut down, waited a couple minutes for the eGPU enclosure to "reset" (it will lock out if it detects a bad boot/connection/reboot and takes a while before it will kick back on).

At this point, hot plugging in Windows no longer works - you have to plug in the eGPU enclose into the wall, get ready with the TB3 cable, turn the laptop on, and right when the "spinning circles" under the windows logo begins, plug the TB3 cable into the laptop. The spinning circle loading will now take a couple minutes, but Windows will finish booting, it will detect the eGPU, and then it's just a matter to telling Windows which GPU to use!

Like Odysseus returning to Ithaca, finding suitors going buckwild, and finally murdering the poo poo out of all of them, my journey has at last come to an end.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

forbidden dialectics posted:

At this point, hot plugging in Windows no longer works - you have to plug in the eGPU enclose into the wall, get ready with the TB3 cable, turn the laptop on, and right when the "spinning circles" under the windows logo begins, plug the TB3 cable into the laptop. The spinning circle loading will now take a couple minutes, but Windows will finish booting, it will detect the eGPU, and then it's just a matter to telling Windows which GPU to use!

Super glad you got it to work but this part is hilarious.

Great stuff though and it looks like you have what you are looking for.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Like Odysseus returning to Ithaca, finding suitors going buckwild, and finally murdering the poo poo out of all of them, my journey has at last come to an end.

I like the Matterhorn desktop landscape.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The replacement arrived and *drumroll*

It finally. loving. Works.

Here's valley on the stock dGPU (Radeon Pro 460)

And running on the 2070 eGPU:

The valley score is definitely low, even for an eGPU setup (comparable results I've seen are closer to 4000). This is running the default drivers that install automatically in Windows; I'll update to the newest ones and see what happens (...after creating a restore point, I've been down this road!)

But I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth at this point. It WORKS, I can gently caress around with optimizing it later.

I started with a clean install in Windows 10 in Bootcamp, installed all available updates. Then hotplugged the eGPU into the right side USB-C port, and lets Windows do it's thing. It updated, installed the drivers, but I got the infamous "Error 12". So I "uninstalled device" the 2070, unplugged the eGPU from the laptop (and the electric socket), disabled the left side USB-C ports and the Webcam, shut down, waited a couple minutes for the eGPU enclosure to "reset" (it will lock out if it detects a bad boot/connection/reboot and takes a while before it will kick back on).

:hmmyes:

hell yes thanks for the read, glad it works. sucks about the hot plugging thing. does it sleep/wake ok?

Reality
Sep 26, 2010

That's awesome!

Have you tried it on an external monitor to see if that would improve your scores? I've read, and maybe this is all hogwash, that the bandwidth can be limited by the TB3 interface when displaying on the internal display. I don't know enough about the benchmark to even know if that would matter either.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Reality posted:

That's awesome!

Have you tried it on an external monitor to see if that would improve your scores? I've read, and maybe this is all hogwash, that the bandwidth can be limited by the TB3 interface when displaying on the internal display. I don't know enough about the benchmark to even know if that would matter either.

It definitely does, the D2H (device to host) communications can take a good chunk of available bandwidth when using the internal display. I've seen around 5-10% improvement using an external monitor, but I don't have one to test it out. I patched the firmware on my enclosure to enable the full 22Gbps bandwidth but it only increased my valley score by 2-3%

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I’ve got a real bad case of analysis paralysis right now in terms of deciding between a Mac mini vs a hackintosh vs a 2015 MBP vs a cheese-grater Mac Pro vs just sticking with my existing Mac until High Sierra stops getting security updates.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Lazyhound posted:

I’ve got a real bad case of analysis paralysis right now in terms of deciding between a Mac mini vs a hackintosh vs a 2015 MBP vs a cheese-grater Mac Pro vs just sticking with my existing Mac until High Sierra stops getting security updates.

The last option seems to be the most sensible if you can afford to wait. There’s talk of an improved (fixed) MBP coming in 2019 or 2020 and we’re juuust at the 6 month mark on the new Mini, so soon we’ll be closer to the next release than the last one.

The cheese grater Pro is awesome and I’d love to have one just to dick around with but I wouldn’t be able to justify dropping close to $1k on getting one and getting it competitive with current hardware when it’s close to a decade old. Too much uncertainty.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lazyhound posted:

There’s a lot going on there.

What’s your budget? Why haven’t you updated to Mojave? What’s your current machine?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

we’re juuust at the 6 month mark on the new Mini, so soon we’ll be closer to the next release than the last one.
Outside of 2009-2012 the Mac mini updates have been more in the 2 year range, or 4 for the last one. I could see them waiting on it a while again, whether for 10th+ gen Intel chips, or ARM if/when they go that route.

Anyway if your current machine still works fine I’d just wait and see.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Lazyhound posted:

It seems like Apple usually refreshes their computers toward the end of the Summer, so why not wait?

The new Mac Mini is pretty dope though.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I'm hitting the wall with my current work machine, 2014 MBP 13" with 8gb ram. I'm pretty sure I'm going to pull the trigger on a 27" imac and a 4k second monitor and throw another 32gb of RAM in it for a total budget of ~$3100, and keep the MBP for travel.

I have a sliver of trepidation doing it so close to a big event. I *could* wait I'm sure, but figure at this point there's not much chance they're going to announce a laptop or desktop that will get me 32gb ram, a good-to-go keyboard, and at least one 27" 4k display at anything like that pricepoint, right? I'm about to spool up on a couple new projects and would like to get this out of the way first.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Spime Wrangler posted:

I'm hitting the wall with my current work machine, 2014 MBP 13" with 8gb ram. I'm pretty sure I'm going to pull the trigger on a 27" imac and a 4k second monitor and throw another 32gb of RAM in it for a total budget of ~$3100, and keep the MBP for travel.

I have a sliver of trepidation doing it so close to a big event. I *could* wait I'm sure, but figure at this point there's not much chance they're going to announce a laptop or desktop that will get me 32gb ram, a good-to-go keyboard, and at least one 27" 4k display at anything like that pricepoint, right? I'm about to spool up on a couple new projects and would like to get this out of the way first.

I mean, I could see the base price of the Mac Pro being $3000 (it won’t be lol) but it won’t come with a monitor. I think the iMacs for what you’re describing are basically perfect, and were just refreshed.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
We are stuck with this current Mac Mini until Apple switches to ARM Ax chips. And then Apple will probably wait a couple of more years out of spite.

Which isn't the worst thing in the world. The new Mini is just about perfect except for the lack of a good GPU and price. If they don't update it then the price may go down.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

LionArcher posted:

I mean, I could see the base price of the Mac Pro being $3000 (it won’t be lol) but it won’t come with a monitor. I think the iMacs for what you’re describing are basically perfect, and were just refreshed.

Ugh I don't like the huge bezels and how the monitor height isn't adjustable. That stuff was ok 5 years ago but not now.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Pulled the trigger on the 27" 580x model with a 512 SSD. Wish I could wait for a rad redesign or justify an overbuilt 18 core 6k monstrosity but thems the breaks!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Ugh I don't like the huge bezels and how the monitor height isn't adjustable. That stuff was ok 5 years ago but not now.

I'm with you on the bezels, but I think(?) iMacs have a VESA option (which likely costs extra because gently caress you).

If I were to get a new Mac these days, I'd likely get a beefed up mini and use my own monitor.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Pretty sure my early 2015 MBp battery is swelling :( Unless the bottom case has always had a slight bulge to it by the spacebar and top half of trackpad, and it took me four years to notice. I only noticed about a week ago, when the top case didn't seem to close as flush as usual, and the top two corners of the trackpad are slightly sticking out above the aluminum. I'm bummed, since I've tried taking great care of the battery. It's only got 210 cycles on it, but I guess that doesn't matter when it comes to the possibility of swelling.

Is there a good time window to trade in Macs? I know I'd have to have the battery replaced first, but Apple is currently offering $475 for this base model 2015 13", which is not bad at all. Does the value decrease by the year or something, or does it just drop to zero once it goes "vintage"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

enojy posted:

Pretty sure my early 2015 MBp battery is swelling :( Unless the bottom case has always had a slight bulge to it by the spacebar and top half of trackpad, and it took me four years to notice. I only noticed about a week ago, when the top case didn't seem to close as flush as usual, and the top two corners of the trackpad are slightly sticking out above the aluminum. I'm bummed, since I've tried taking great care of the battery. It's only got 210 cycles on it, but I guess that doesn't matter when it comes to the possibility of swelling.

Is there a good time window to trade in Macs? I know I'd have to have the battery replaced first, but Apple is currently offering $475 for this base model 2015 13", which is not bad at all. Does the value decrease by the year or something, or does it just drop to zero once it goes "vintage"?

What specs does it have? If it's not a bare-bones 128/8gb model I'd think you could get > $500 private party. That is a decent no hassle price though.