Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Elephanthead posted:

The 1.6 NA is a perfectly acceptable road trip car you pampered babies.

I have the 1.8NA on koni adjustables and stock springs and it's smoother riding than my wife's mini pooper when they're turned all the way down.

It's sharp as hell turned all the way up. But yeah, put the underfelt kit from moss miata in there and the car is really quiet for a miata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
Be mindful if you plan on doing the front main seal you'll be removing the timing cog and bolt, which adds some additional critical steps. Mine was a nightmare but I was seeing oil from either there or the oil pan so I went forward with it.

Also the Lisle 58430 seal puller is boss if you can get one cheaply.

Probably not a bad time to swap out heater hoses if you haven't previously.

Bud fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 8, 2019

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Bud posted:

Be mindful if you plan on doing the front main seal you'll be removing the timing cog and bolt, which adds some additional critical steps. Mine was a nightmare but I was seeing oil from either there or the oil pan so I went forward with it.

Probably not a bad time to swap out heater hoses if you haven't previously.

I was looking up that Lisle tool earlier and was happy to find them on ebay for 15€. Then i realized that all sellers are in the US and that i'd pay more for shipping than for the tool itself.

As far as i can tell the worst thing about that seal seems to be when everything is stuck together because no one took it apart for twenty years. Otherwise it seems pretty straight forward as long as you don't lose your woodruff key and put it back the way it was.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'm one those folks that doesn't replace/gently caress with seals unless they're leaking. I'm too ham fisted to not gouge the sealing surface or tap the seal in too far/not enough and have it leak afterwards. :v: Goonspeed.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

GD_American posted:

Hmm they might be keeping the spoils to the mainland. I called the parts desk at the dealership here, the guy was genuinely interested and spent about 30 minutes on the phone with me looking. He saw the part, there's no inventory nationwide, ordering shows unavailable, and it didn't have a succession part number.

They were still available as of April 26th, because a Miata owner on a different forum was able to buy one. The part number is NCY1-R1-81XB-98, the cost including shipping was $1789.15.
EDIT:
https://parts.coxmazda.com/p/Mazda__/HARDTOP--WBLACK-INTERIOR-HARDTOP--WITH/54742858/NCY1R181XB98.html
They're available all over, just google the part number.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 8, 2019

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Bud posted:

If you're doing seals, then get the drat seal puller. I tried pulling them without one and scored all my shafts before I realized what happened. 15 bucks could have prevented a lot of headache.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I haven't tried that style of puller before but I might pick one up next time I need to do one. I have the claw-style one and... it works, I guess? I've managed to bend it before the seal gave up a few times.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Hikaki posted:

If you're doing seals, then get the drat seal puller. I tried pulling them without one and scored all my shafts before I realized what happened. 15 bucks could have prevented a lot of headache.

I checked and I can get it for about 20€ using Amazon's "shop poo poo from everywhere" thing.

That's about at the limit I'm willing to pay so I might just order it.

Edit: For some reason I had about 10$ in my US amazon account although I'm pretty sure I never used it. So I might as well use it to import me some tools!

Shai-Hulud fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 8, 2019

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Got done waiting one bay or forums and just called all the car-part guys with red miatas showing spoilers on the trunks they had for sale

Got an original R spoiler already red painted for $120 shipped

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
RIP my Miata. rear end in a top hat road-raged his pickup right into it, and there’s no way insurance doesn’t total it.

Guess I’ll see this thread again in a few years :(

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Where and how bad is the damage?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

GD_American posted:

RIP my Miata. rear end in a top hat road-raged his pickup right into it, and there’s no way insurance doesn’t total it.

Guess I’ll see this thread again in a few years :(

Is the guy going to jail at least? This is why I have a dash cam. Nothing's happened yet but there's lots of crazy bro dozers out there.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

SpartanIvy posted:

Is the guy going to jail at least? This is why I have a dash cam. Nothing's happened yet but there's lots of crazy bro dozers out there.

People run over pedestrians and cyclists daily and don’t go to jail, lol if you think they’re going to jail unless they’re drunk

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Phone posted:

Where and how bad is the damage?

Fender, bumper, wheel. Something felt off in the front as I limped it home. I guarantee they’ll total it out for age.

Dude didn’t even get a citation, since no witnesses stopped. I’m more worried the crazy old fucker has my address now.

So look for a black 2001 Miata to hit Copart in Mobile soon.

https://twitter.com/robertjamesii/status/1126910689233256448?s=21

GD_American fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 10, 2019

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

New fender and wheel, repair the bumper

What’s the book value on it? AM parts are dirt cheap, it might not total

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

New fender and wheel, repair the bumper

What’s the book value on it? AM parts are dirt cheap, it might not total

The problem is the difference between people like you and me who realize “that’s an afternoon of wrenching” and the cold hard numbers of insurance companies.

Salvage titling is not worth trying in this state (I tried that route last year with my Saab.). Alabama gets extra stupid about inspections in that one very specific area and nowhere else.

It’s aggravating that easily repairable damage gets perfectly roadworthy cars totaled.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

GD_American posted:

Alabama gets extra stupid

When you consider how stupid Alabama is normally...

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

GD_American posted:

Fender, bumper, wheel. Something felt off in the front as I limped it home. I guarantee they’ll total it out for age.

Dude didn’t even get a citation, since no witnesses stopped. I’m more worried the crazy old fucker has my address now.

So look for a black 2001 Miata to hit Copart in Mobile soon.

https://twitter.com/robertjamesii/status/1126910689233256448?s=21

Get your ins check and buy the car back. Have the alignment check. If alignment is still good then take the wing off and bang out any dents.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Get your ins check and buy the car back. Have the alignment check. If alignment is still good then take the wing off and bang out any dents.

That's not the problem. The problem is it won't be road legal anymore.

Salvage titling a car in Alabama means bringing it to someone licensed (and when I called around the region for my Saab, nooooo body shop wanted to to touch that kind of work), they have to keep a build book and complete provenance of all the parts, and then the state inspector goes over everything, and it must be fully restored to pre-accident condition.

Like I said. Extra stupid.

I'd be happy to sell it to someone looking to do an Exocet conversion or something similar, but I quit running with the SCCA here when I went back to grad school and don't know anyone.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Who said anything about keeping it road legal. :getin:

But it back and sell it to a goon. vOv

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Weird, Alabama is full of steaming turds for cars. Who knew they were strict?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

djfooboo posted:

Moonshining, incest and rolling coal is just another day in 'bama, but salvage cars? no siree!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

That's unfortunate. Here in Indiana, I bought my totalled car back from insurance for 700 dollars and drove it for three more years. Didn't even fix anything. It was ugly, but mechanically sound.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

You left out inappropriate and random "Roll Tide"

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

djfooboo posted:

It was a goddamned shock to me, I tell you. They totalled a perfectly good Saab with a creased fender, and even though I upgraded after to a Turbo X I'm still pretty mad about it.

Of all the loving things this state could choose to get prissy and bureaucratic about, they chose wrecked cars and alcohol sales.

Roll Tide.

Phone posted:

Who said anything about keeping it road legal. :getin:

I've thought about that. But then we get into trailer, thing to tow trailer, place to park trailer...

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
What do we think of this?

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/d/philadelphia-mazda-miata/6883067534.html

I don't really know what the NB market is like now, but generally in the northeast things are more expensive than florida/california miatas and such where they are a dime a dozen with no rust. I'm would probably try to sell the hard top, assuming the soft top is in good condition.

but for real definitely this one right: https://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/ctd/d/land-lakes-93-mazda-miata-trade-classic/6886176548.html

Elysium fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 13, 2019

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Elysium posted:

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/d/philadelphia-mazda-miata/6883067534.html

I don't really know what the NB market is like now, but generally in the northeast things are more expensive than florida/california miatas and such where they are a dime a dozen with no rust. I'm would probably try to sell the hard top, assuming the soft top is in good condition.

but for real definitely this one right: https://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/ctd/d/land-lakes-93-mazda-miata-trade-classic/6886176548.html

That seems like a reasonable price for a reasonable-condition Miata, to me.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Elysium posted:

That harlequin miata is perfect in every way.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Those 4pt harnesses with no roll bar lol

My project tonight

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 13, 2019

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Ha! I used to walk by that one all the time when I lived in Fairmount.

e: found a pic. Yes I used to take pictures of Miatas in the neighborhood don't judge. Looks like it didn't have a hardtop back then. Pic is from 2014.

opengl fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 13, 2019

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Elysium posted:

If you don't buy it, I will.
- SE (I love the wood steering wheel and shifter)
- < 100k miles
- hardtop
- good condition
- not insane price

e- hmm, replaced the steering wheel

GD_American fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 13, 2019

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

GD_American posted:

That's not the problem. The problem is it won't be road legal anymore.

Salvage titling a car in Alabama means bringing it to someone licensed (and when I called around the region for my Saab, nooooo body shop wanted to to touch that kind of work), they have to keep a build book and complete provenance of all the parts, and then the state inspector goes over everything, and it must be fully restored to pre-accident condition.

Like I said. Extra stupid.

I'd be happy to sell it to someone looking to do an Exocet conversion or something similar, but I quit running with the SCCA here when I went back to grad school and don't know anyone.

If you were to do a goon sale how much would you be interested in getting?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Coredump posted:

If you were to do a goon sale how much would you be interested in getting?

Not sure. I'm waiting on the adjuster to come out this week; I know they'll total it but I just have to find out what they put the salvage value at. If it all shakes out right I'd be ok with salvage value plus like 100 bucks or something.

I'm probably going to try and sue for replacement value, because gently caress that guy. He killed my car.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Do that no matter what.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Trunk spoiler arrived and paint is better than i expected.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

RPF1 Master Race

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Anybody know if you get front pads and rotors, do you need to get the “insulator” kit which is in the official brake diagram (2008 nc) Shops have complained to me before that they had to make a separate parts trip for forgetting shims that go with the pads but they might have meant the clips that seem to come with this acdelco aftermarket brake package.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

GD_American posted:

If you don't buy it, I will.

Lol did you buy it? They just told me it was sold. Guess I should have jumped on it.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Just bought my first Miata: an ‘04 PS with the sport package, bone stock. I wanted red, but compromised on color because it was a great price and otherwise exactly what I wanted. It’s a little ratty, but mechanically solid. I can’t wait to spend some summer weekends driving this thing through twisties in the woods on the way to the beach.

I’m getting the belts replaced, fluids done, and since the front rotors are almost toast, gonna get the brakes done, too. Hopefully I can drive it for the rest of the summer trouble-free after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Elysium posted:

Lol did you buy it? They just told me it was sold. Guess I should have jumped on it.

Nope. They had already sold by the time I checked too.