Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
I recently started playing these games again for the first time in 20 years. I guess I lucked out and managed to buy a lot of all six gen 1 and 2 games that were authentic and in good condition, but now that I'm ready to move on the gen 3 I'm having a hell of a time. I can find authentic listings, but they are all priced pretty high. I usually use pricecharting.com to price old games, but I'm pretty sure their listings are not adequately filtering out the repros and dragging the price way down.

So my question is, what price should I even be looking to pay for each of the gen 3 games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

just buy oras, don’t suffer through gba gen 3

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

oddium posted:

I like collecting old games and playing them on old hardware.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yeah it whips but og gen 3..... :whitewater:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

oddium posted:

Save me a Google search, what are the salient changes? It's post special split which is almost interesting enough in itself but it also doesn't matter at all for 1 player.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

oddium posted:

yeah it whips but og gen 3..... :whitewater:

i played sapphire as a kid and i liked it, and you will too!!! :bahgawd:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ItBreathes posted:

Save me a Google search, what are the salient changes? It's post special split which is almost interesting enough in itself but it also doesn't matter at all for 1 player.

it looks nicer, the dexnav should be brought back in shield and sword, and you can fly around on lati@s

oh and the emerald chapter is entirely new

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I've gotten to the Hoenn Grand Festival in the anime. Having 247 contestants doesn't make a whole lot of sense, since the only way to enter that's been specifically mentioned so far is 5 Hoenn Ribbons (that's 1235 Contests, plus a bunch more where the winner didn't get an additional 4; even if we assume some people took multiple years to get 5 Ribbons, that's a lot). There must be other ways to qualify. Maybe you qualify for life if you pass the Appeal round two years in a row, or something like that?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

ItBreathes posted:

Lots of quality of life improvements like pretty quickly not needing fly, the good exp share, and DexNav which owns and is the first time I've been able to play around with hidden abilities. A bunch more Pokemon after the Groudon/Kyogre encounter. Primal Groudon/Kyogre own hard. Access to mega evolutions. An absolute shitton of legendaries to catch. Also a return of the Battle Chateau and more powerful Elite 4 after completing the Delta Episode.

I guess also Fairy type existing is pretty radical compared to the original. Makes Mawhile a lot stronger if you like the hair mouth Pokemon.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Does anyone have a good way to convert .pk7 pokemon to .pk4?
PKHeX won't do it for me, and all of the pk4's I generated using pk2pk are rejected by PKHeX as being pk5's despite the pk4 vs. pk5 files for the same pokemon having different md5 checksums.
I just want to backport my living dex into all of my old games, too.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Nth Doctor posted:

Does anyone have a good way to convert .pk7 pokemon to .pk4?
PKHeX won't do it for me, and all of the pk4's I generated using pk2pk are rejected by PKHeX as being pk5's despite the pk4 vs. pk5 files for the same pokemon having different md5 checksums.
I just want to backport my living dex into all of my old games, too.

...this seems a lot like how Porygon-Z probably got created

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

indigi posted:

gently caress this bullshit!!!!

Oh, don't worry
She feeds coffee to a Tapu and gets one that way

Farecoal posted:

Red's team is all level 80+?? How the gently caress did I beat this game as a kid

I OHKO'd his level 81 Pikachu with a level 45 Onix even after getting Charmed back in GSC

He's not as tough as people make him out to be and it's a shame his pokemon aren't 11 levels higher in HGSS

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

My hatred of Aipoms has only increased after seeing the movie. Terrifying little apes.

Besides that, everything was super adorable.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

it looks nicer,
Does it though? I've been playing Alpha Sapphire for the past few weeks, and I love it in terms of gameplay... but it kinda looks like rear end. Especially compared to the crisp colorful sprites of the original.

There's a few exceptions (Sea Mauville was incredible in the remake), but I was really shocked at how bad and muddled everything looked, even compared to Sun and Moon on the same system.

It's still way more than worth it, though. Gen 3 was fantastic, but I'll never be able to go back to before the physical special split without a lot of frustration.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Dienes posted:

I laughed so hard at Roger waxing on about how "Evolution let's you become your best self" over an Eevee, only for it to evolve into a Flareon..

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if that was intentional.

The movie was good, go see it. I hope we get a traditional journey/trainer type film eventually.

Think I might buy crystal on the virtual console and get myself a celebi while waiting for sword and shield.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Saw Detective Pikachu last night, and was really pleasantly surprised.

Reynolds could have easily phoned it in, but he didn't, and Justice Smith was a good choice for the lead. The visuals were great, and I wasn't bored at any point in the movie.

I was expecting a 5-6 out of 10 and got a 7-8.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
So it was a good live action video game movie?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
A bit late but the regi thing was almost definitely just a means of selling strategy guides, it was pretty common practice at the time

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

MrFlibble posted:

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if that was intentional.

Excuse you, they're perfect the way they are

Look at this good firefloof

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The lady who gives you the hints for Regigigas says something different every day or every hour or something like that.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Eiba posted:

Does it though? I've been playing Alpha Sapphire for the past few weeks, and I love it in terms of gameplay... but it kinda looks like rear end. Especially compared to the crisp colorful sprites of the original.

There's a few exceptions (Sea Mauville was incredible in the remake), but I was really shocked at how bad and muddled everything looked, even compared to Sun and Moon on the same system.

It's still way more than worth it, though. Gen 3 was fantastic, but I'll never be able to go back to before the physical special split without a lot of frustration.

The thing I miss the most about Gen 3 games is how seamless the maps felt. ORAS were good remakes but the way the game has to load new locations makes it feel... different.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I'm a little annoyed that all of the Pokémon in the movie appear in the various trailers and promos. It becomes obvious about 30 minutes in that they've already used up all their models and just reuse them in background shots. Apparently everyone in Ryme City only have Sneasel, Arcanine, or Audino.

There's actually some behind-the-scenes reasons for the specific cases you're mentioning.
We were very careful to make sure than any given shot or sequence had a good variety of Pokemon specifically to prevent repitition, but some of the worldbuilding we were doing required specific pairings.
Throughout the film, police are paired exclusively with Arcanine/Growlithe, and there were a lot of police at the parade at the end, so they are more common than they might be otherwise.
The Sneasels are also there because of the parade. Each pokemon balloon was held by a group of about 20 people, each dressed to resemble the balloon they were holding, and a pokemon to match. Most of the action with Lucy during the parade happens near the group of Lugia balloon holders, who were all given Sneasels as the closest color match to their costumes of the pokemon we had built.
Audino is actually a specific character - it's the pokemon partner of the reporter Lucy interacts with dyring the parade, but because it keeps popping up in the background of shots where you're already aware of repitition, it might seem more numerous than it actually is.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Alxprit posted:

The lady who gives you the hints for Regigigas says something different every day or every hour or something like that.

[Citation needed]

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Just saw the movie. (There were like 12 people in the theatre because matinee on a school day)

I think overall it was really enjoyable. Definitely a little flawed in the writing department, but it was gorgeous. That combined with my obvious nostalgia and love of little nods made up for the writing in my book.

A couple things I'll spoiler.

I thought it was neat, but the ending twist was spoiled as soon as you see the kids mom.

Also, I hope the goon that worked on this chimes in on this. I assume the reason no steel types really showed up was partly because they're unaffected by gas in the series. Though maybe because moving reflective surfaces is a biiiitch to do cgi for.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Here is serebii learning how to regigas
https://forums.serebii.net/threads/serebii-net-pok%C3%A9mon-omega-ruby-alpha-sapphire-discovery-thread.637946/page-6#post-17501709

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If we don’t get any Sword/Shield news by the end of next week I guess they’re saving it for E3.

quote:

Only thing that seems different is that he nicknames his Pokémon...but there's no way in hell that could be it.

quote:

I'm resetting. There has to be something more to it. It can't be nicknames. I refuse to accept that.
:allears:

RatHat fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 11, 2019

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Almost as good as the time he was caught pirating Black and White.

Also people who don’t nickname their Pokemon are monsters. :colbert:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i thought the movie was ok. either the directing or the casting sucked though because everyone who wasn't ryan reynolds, or doing pokemon voices, stank to high heaven

i also think it would've been better if it was 20-30min longer, because then they would've had more time to do good character bits. but i realize this is probably because animating pokemon, even in the background, takes forever

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 11, 2019

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

i thought the movie was ok. either the directing or the casting sucked though because everyone who wasn't ryan reynolds, or doing pokemon voices, stank to high heaven

i also think it would've been better if it was 20-30min longer, because then they would've had more time to do good character bits. but i realize this is probably because animating pokemon, even in the background, takes forever

If I had to throw in my two cents I would've like more Mewtwo scenes. Like how was he caught and what was he doing up until they found him in the wild. I dunno poor guy's screen time felt really rushed.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Nasgate posted:

Also, I hope the goon that worked on this chimes in on this. I assume the reason no steel types really showed up was partly because they're unaffected by gas in the series. Though maybe because moving reflective surfaces is a biiiitch to do cgi for.
Steelix, Beldum, and Durant were considered at one point, but cut early enough thay we didn't start work on them. I don't think it had anything to do with them being steel type specifically (there were about 40 other potential pokemon of various types that didn't make it), but we weren't told why specific ones were omitted.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Robot Style posted:

Steelix, Beldum, and Durant were considered at one point, but cut early enough thay we didn't start work on them. I don't think it had anything to do with them being steel type specifically (there were about 40 other potential pokemon of various types that didn't make it), but we weren't told why specific ones were omitted.

Do you have a list of all the Pokemon in the movie? Or is that still classified/you can't remember? I'm seeing it again and I want to try and spot them all.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Robot Style posted:

Are there any Pokemon you really wanted to be in the movie but couldn't due to whatever reason?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
"This rock is amazing! It's a meteorite! It contains some kind of energy from space"

Thank you assistant director of a science museum

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Look they all leave school at ten to roam the countryside, think yourself lucky he knows that much.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

HopperUK posted:

Look they all leave school at ten to roam the countryside, think yourself lucky he knows that much.

I never thought of it that way before but it explains so much

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
A new Pokemon GO datamine seems to imply that it will have some sort of connection with Gen 8.

https://twitter.com/Chrales/status/1126985036467720192

"Beluga" was the code word they used for Let's Go P/E so it seems really likely that Koala is another code word, and the only game that would make sense would be Sw/Sh. Most important thing about this is Niantic is hilariously bad at keeping secrets so they may leak Gen 8 stuff by mistake.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Do you have a list of all the Pokemon in the movie? Or is that still classified/you can't remember? I'm seeing it again and I want to try and spot them all.

The list on Bulbapedia's page for the movie is pretty accurate, though it mistakenly includes magnemite, haunter, riolu, and mismagius.

RatHat posted:

Are there any Pokemon you really wanted to be in the movie but couldn't due to whatever reason?
We were basically just given a list from the director of which pokemon were going to be in the movie, so we didn't really have much input on it. Not every pokemon was shared between all the VFX studios that worked on the movie though, so if anything I would have liked to have seen some that only appear in one or two scenes get more screentime.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

cute movie, kid was good, it featured the best pokemon pretty prominently cubone, score was surprisingly solid, it was faithful to the spirit of anime in that there is a boatload of spoken exposition and everything turned into some silly grand villainous scheme and flying battle at the end but much like the games who cares its cool to see the cute pokemon

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

How is the movie compared to the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Takoluka posted:

How is the movie compared to the game?

I'm gonna go out and say that the movie is the best way to experience the game.