Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Peanut President posted:

Reminds me of the bitcoin dude is renounced his citizenship and moved to Saint Lucia to dodge taxes, then tried to come back to the US for some conference and was told he had to pay his taxes first.

As I recall, the best part was that he ended up paying his taxes, but didn't get any guarantees in writing that he'd be allowed back in. Hence:

Shame Boy posted:

So instead he sent one of those ipads on a stick to drive slowly around the conference with his face on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

I was trying to find that "billionaires keep moving in and forcing out us honest millionaires!" article because it reminded me of that but couldn't get google to turn it up, however instead I found this wonderful scare piece from the daily mail:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4932482/Wealth-tax-forces-12-000-millionaires-YEAR-France.html

Oh no, those poor millionaires :qq:

Australia is the world favorite destination for rich immigrants, probably because it doesn’t have an inheritance tax

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Squalid posted:

Australia is the world favorite destination for rich immigrants, probably because it doesn’t have an inheritance tax

As usual the Aussies are not to be out done by New Zealand, where we actively advertised the fact that we had no inheritance tax or capital gains tax and also created a class of residence visa that costs $10m

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bike tory posted:

As usual the Aussies are not to be out done by New Zealand, where we actively advertised the fact that we had no inheritance tax or capital gains tax and also created a class of residence visa that costs $10m

At least you priced it kinda-sorta high, America lets you buy a visa for like, a pinky swear that you'll invest at least $500,000

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Squalid posted:

I don't know enough about dog breeding to have a strong opinion about it. However I am extremely skeptical and suspicious of it because every time I've visited the website of a breeder or read official publications by The Korgi Kennnel Klub or w/e, its always full of insane claims that are blatant pseudo-science. Just farcical poo poo about inheritance that blatantly have no basis in the science of genetics or animal behavior. It's hard for me to trust these organizations on the big issues when they are so obviously wrong about the small stuff.

This video summarizes one glaring piece of pseudo-science breeders often repeat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7puPXZVsFQ

Breed groups are a meaningless division but even as eminent an organization as the American Kennel Club continues to repeat bs about them. How can we trust them about the science when they are openly perpetuating urban myths? The assumption should be that we cannot.

I'm sorry, but your pit bulls are still garbage dogs bred to murder, and a public menace.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

steinrokkan posted:

I'm sorry, but your pit bulls are still garbage dogs bred to murder, and a public menace.

:can:

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Considering how much resources Americans use up and waste I think we should take another look at whether dogmaulings are good or bad

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Former DILF posted:

Considering how much resources Americans use up and waste I think we should take another look at whether dogmaulings are good or bad

Breed super pitbulls, give them PCP, and set them loose in the suburbs and gated communities.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Warmachine posted:

Breed super pitbulls, give them PCP, and set them loose in the suburbs and gated communities.

That's praxis.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Larry Parrish posted:

what's with tech people being so against taxes lol. like you either gotta pay for Cayman islands account fuckery or pay the taxes. instead theres all this insane stuff like seasteading or fleeing to other countries

The US is the only country that taxes its citizens even when they don't live in the country.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

gently caress I love when products are created to "start conversations", if all my brands aren't specifically designed to make people come up and start yelling at me then I just don't feel like I'm helping others engage with brands to my full potential!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also if you interpret that red fabric-patterned band as a handkerchief, that beer wants to be fisted

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/polina_marinova/status/1125758256121548800

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

the perfect end to a stupid drink

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Shame Boy posted:

Also if you interpret that red fabric-patterned band as a handkerchief, that beer wants to be fisted

Double fisted, right into your mouth, all night long. But drink responsibly!

Let me guess, they donate 10 cents a pack to the HRC's marketing budget or something.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
why is the canned water with the ironic label a bad thing? water should be free, but if i have to buy it i'll choose the can over a plastic bottle and the small company over the megacorp

vvv good point. beware anything silicon valley expects you to put inside your body

fart store has issued a correction as of 01:37 on May 11, 2019

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

fart store posted:

why is the canned water with the ironic label a bad thing? water should be free, but if i have to buy it i'll choose the can over a plastic bottle and the small company over the megacorp

You assume the label is ironic

e: but yeah their shtick is that cans are obviously a lot more recyclable than plastic bottles. The marketing it as a ~man product~ by branding it that way is the capitalism.png

voiceless anal fricative has issued a correction as of 01:38 on May 11, 2019

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

if they're already rich and retired then why would they give a gently caress about moving somewhere with a lower income tax

e: ah ok so get the gently caress out then

Most of them just want to escape the Bay Area for somewhere cheaper and "low taxes" is a selling point. They didn't avoid New York or Massachusetts or Illinois because of the taxes, it's because it snows there.

Alucard posted:

Because gently caress you got mine, that's why.

They're probably trying to minimize their contribution to the place that allowed them to proliferate now that all their income is passive and not geographically restricted. Frankly I'm surprised they didn't peace out to another country that just doesn't tax non citizen residents.

The feds still tax you if you're a US citizen.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Family Values posted:

lmao that 'several hundred thousand' is enough to retire on at 31.

a lot of people think that and it's super funny and I hope to see their faces at 50. hehehe.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

quote:

Many argued that their primary motivation for leaving was a disillusionment with tech-obsessed San Francisco, and that taxes were not their main concern. Still, none had chosen to move to a high-tax jurisdiction like New York or Massachusetts.
obviously they're attracted to all the culture oklahoma and kansas have to offer

also I'm the term, "semiretired"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

ChipNDip posted:

Most of them just want to escape the Bay Area for somewhere cheaper and "low taxes" is a selling point. They didn't avoid New York or Massachusetts or Illinois because of the taxes, it's because it snows there.

The feds still tax you if you're a US citizen.

You can claim a bunch of foreign earned cash as tax exempt (up to about 100k?)and get foreign earned tax credits. So if you pay more tax overseas on your foreign income you don't pay taxes. Something like that anyway.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fart store posted:

vvv good point. beware anything silicon valley expects you to put inside your body

Ah yes the plucky little small company that's saving the planet by *squints* shipping cans of water from loving Austria

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

Liquid Death is not normal. It’s weird like we are. And the people who love our brand tend to appreciate weird things, too. Many products in the health and wellness space are all marketed with “aspirational” fitness models and beautiful celebrities. Nothing weird or fun or irreverent. Only the unhealthy brands like candy, beer, and energy drinks get to be weird and fun.

This brand is so weird and fun and quirky, just like me!!!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Beer can water seems like the kind of thing a really smug straight edge guy in it for the sense of moral superiority would bring to a show and never shut up about.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
i guess i just think it's weird to get pissed about that particular thing when literally almost any other beverage for sale is worse in almost every way except the aesthetic of the package. getting all lathered up about the theoretical hipster you're imagining annoying you at a show you're not at by drinking water yes indeed

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Mods plz change username to Theoretical Hipster.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

fart store posted:

i guess i just think it's weird to get pissed about that particular thing when literally almost any other beverage for sale is worse in almost every way except the aesthetic of the package. getting all lathered up about the theoretical hipster you're imagining annoying you at a show you're not at by drinking water yes indeed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GceNsojnMf0

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fun fact
many places in the united states have tap water so bad you either require an extra filter or you drink bottled

capitalism creating the problems it then sells you the band aids for.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Crazycryodude posted:

Beer can water seems like the kind of thing a really smug straight edge guy in it for the sense of moral superiority would bring to a show and never shut up about.

Doesn’t Budweiser can water for emergency relief supplies?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

lancemantis posted:

Doesn’t Budweiser can water for emergency relief supplies?

Yeah it's actually really crisp clean tasting water. Had some a few times.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/GileadSciences/status/1126596126138875904?s=19

A) this is instead of, you know, lowering the prices so that people could afford this life saving medicine themselves

B) the CDC has just approved a different, equally effective drug (from the same company) that has fewer side effects and is likely to basically replace Truveda. So all Gilead have actually done is agree to offload their soon-to-be-excess stock to people who weren't going to be buying their pills anyway

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tashilicious posted:

fun fact
many places in the united states have tap water so bad you either require an extra filter or you drink bottled

capitalism creating the problems it then sells you the band aids for.

the tap water at my mom's house is so bad you can literally smell the sulfur while it's running, but it's technically safe to drink i think. it really needs a filter to not be completely disgusting tho

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

"It's technically safe to drink" is damning with faint praise

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
when they donate it they are able to claim the retail, not wholesale price as a donation on their taxes, right?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

fart store posted:

I think it's mostly the manly-man LIQUID DEATH design, if it was just water in a metal can that seems pretty cool but all the pretensions make it feel mainly for pretentious people. It's irrational, I know, I still think it's dumb.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Shame Boy posted:

I was trying to find that "billionaires keep moving in and forcing out us honest millionaires!" article because it reminded me of that but couldn't get google to turn it up, however instead I found this wonderful scare piece from the daily mail:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4932482/Wealth-tax-forces-12-000-millionaires-YEAR-France.html

Oh no, they'll leave and not pay taxes somewhere else!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

T-man posted:

Double fisted, right into your mouth, all night long. But drink responsibly!

Let me guess, they donate 10 cents a pack to the HRC's marketing budget or something.

Homosexual Republic of China?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Senju Kannon posted:

the tap water at my mom's house is so bad you can literally smell the sulfur while it's running, but it's technically safe to drink i think. it really needs a filter to not be completely disgusting tho

The place I stay at for work has actual brown water and I think people think I’m a pretentious rear end in a top hat for buying 18g water jugs and using a hand-pump instead of drinking the brown tap water that is “safe”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Homosexual Republic of China?

Human Rights Campaign, otherwise known as the White Gay Guy In Expensive Condos Foundation.