Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Note Block posted:

Oh interesting! I'm not from there so I wouldn't know for sure. No idea then why one of the signs was in Hiragana/Katakana, I guess it's some kind of store there, but it really stood out to me.

Do you remember which scene? Some of them had signs put up during filming (like the marketplace, which I think had some japanese signs added), but a lot were digital.The digital signs were either in english, or an invented script that isn't actually translateable, because TPC didn't want anyone to be able to hide messages in the film (apparently this happened in the anime, and they've been strict about it since then).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

HopperUK posted:

I'm not sure I could box my starter. That seems wrong.

:same:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

do not box: charizard, feraligator, swampert, any gen 4, greninja, the owl or incineroar. yatta

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
it's alligator so if you're gonna add the o back in you should add the second l back in as well, scrub

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I'm doing an all blue Pokemon run in Y and I still boxed my starter. Who needs Greninja when you have Azumaril.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
the trick is to never evolve them because they almost always become worse

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I feel like i'm one of the rare people in the world who loves my babies even more when they get bigger and more terrifying than when they were small and cute.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Are the first two generations the only ones where none of the starters end up evolving into weird people?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

HopperUK posted:

I'm not sure I could box my starter. That seems wrong.

I, too, have feelings

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Are the first two generations the only ones where none of the starters end up evolving into weird people?

Yes but Meganium.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Robot Style posted:

Do you remember which scene? Some of them had signs put up during filming (like the marketplace, which I think had some japanese signs added), but a lot were digital.The digital signs were either in english, or an invented script that isn't actually translateable, because TPC didn't want anyone to be able to hide messages in the film (apparently this happened in the anime, and they've been strict about it since then).

I don't remember the exact scene, sadly, but the angle of the shot was down a street during the daytime. The sign was white/blue and attached to a building, so it seemed like a real sign, but I'm a baby and can't tell CGI from real so who knows. It was in the bottom right corner of the screen and was visible for roughly 5 seconds.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Gripweed posted:

Gen 4 is pretty good about this. Only one of the starters becomes anything even vaguely humanoid, but like, it was already a monkey to start with, so, uh

(Also I'd argue that Feraligatr is at least as humanoid as Chesnaught or Greninja)

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Gripweed posted:

It's been kind of gradual: Gen 1 had them evolve into big monstrous reptiles and Gen 2 were all basically "First form but bigger". Gen 3 was where the starters started to become more humanoid, and even then it was just Blaziken while Sceptile and Swampert followed the "first form but bigger" rule. Gen 4 was the trend where starters now appear to be wearing clothing with Infernape and Empoleon while Torterra was the last "big monster". Gen 5 was when all the starters fully embraced the "humanoid X that appears to be wearing clothes".

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
How is Emboar any more humanoid than Blastoise? By the what measure is a sea lion with a beard and a snake with a popped collar human?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I have a hard time finding Serperior, who has no limbs, humanoid

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

mycelia posted:

Dammit, now I need to watch it again because I absolutely was thinking 'wow there are a lot of Audino' the whole time.

Favourite dumb dork moment: when the Bulbas take Pikachu to 'a healer Pokemon', there's a shot of distant Comfey flying down right before the Mewtwo reveal, so the fakeout worked twice as well on me. I did also briefly wonder if there was gonna be a Celebi reveal.

Also Morelul is my gf's favourite Pokemon so she was trying very hard not to yell with excitement during that whole scene :kimchi:

i was hoping it would be a psychic pokemon hedge wizard type healer or something

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Alright, perhaps "humanoid" is a bit of a stretch, but designs where the Pokemon appear to be wearing clothes had its roots as far back as Gen 3 and only became more and more obvious.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zuzie posted:

designs where the Pokemon appear to be wearing clothes had its roots as far back as Gen 3

Hitmonchan has been there since day 1

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Flopsy posted:

I feel like i'm one of the rare people in the world who loves my babies even more when they get bigger and more terrifying than when they were small and cute.

Make that two. Don’t care about how starters look as long as the final evo is cool and badass. :black101:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Zuzie posted:

Alright, perhaps "humanoid" is a bit of a stretch, but designs where the Pokemon appear to be wearing clothes had its roots as far back as Gen 3 and only became more and more obvious.

Hitmonchan looks like it's wearing clothes.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zuzie posted:

Gen 5 has a biped evolve into a quadruped.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Funky Valentine posted:

Hitmonchan looks like it's wearing clothes.

also mr mime is literally just a hosed up gremlin named 'mr mime'

i know, i know, don't sign my posts, but,

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I really appreciated the use of “Angels with Filthy Souls” in the movie.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Jynx is also wearing a dress.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
and Machamp is wearing a speedo

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

less laughter posted:

and Machamp is wearing a speedo

It's actually skin markings. That's right, it's flashing you.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Bongo Bill posted:

Gen 5 has a biped evolve into a quadruped.

And a biped evolve into a noped

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
After consideration, Delphox is the best fully evolved X starter. Because it's a fire wizard

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Gripweed posted:

After consideration, Delphox is the best fully evolved X starter. Because it's a fire wizard

I wish it had a bigger offensive movepool, since an accomplished wizard is supposed to be pretty powerful.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Zuzie posted:

I wish it had a bigger offensive movepool, since an accomplished wizard is supposed to be pretty powerful.

The supposedly mighty wizard has less fewer magical gifts than the knight or ninja.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ohhh I never realized the Knight, Wizard, Ninja theme for X/Y starters.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

RatHat posted:

Ohhh I never realized the Knight, Wizard, Ninja theme for X/Y starters.

The Gen VII starters have a looser version of that same theme, but more geared to entertainers.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
How is a bearded man wearing a poncho a knight?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i saw the pikachu movie, it was fun. good job to the makers of the pikachu movie

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Geostomp posted:

The Gen VII starters have a looser version of that same theme, but more geared to entertainers.

Singer, Wrestler, and...Archer?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Archery competitions are totally an actual entertainment thing, I saw a Disney movie about it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It's Wrestler, Archer and Unholy Abomination, so the theme is things you don't wanna try to fight.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Goddamn, Pokemon X buries you in Pokemon. In the first hour of playtime I've found more Pokemon than I did in the first five hours of Alpha Sapphire.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

i just got a ds and the last pokemon i played were the leaf green and ruby red games. whats the cool new ones to get on the 3ds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Ramadu posted:

i just got a ds and the last pokemon i played were the leaf green and ruby red games. whats the cool new ones to get on the 3ds

Omega Ruby/Alpha Sunfire
Ultra Sun/Moon

X/Y

Heart Gold/Soul Silver

Haven't played Black/White or their sequels. But the thread seems to rate then highly.