Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Just finished up Shakedown Hawaii. Game clock puts me at 8 hours to finish the main story and buy up all the property on the island.

Had a lot of fun with it! It's not the deepest game ever, and the story is like...barely there at all. But the world is really charming and pleasant to explore, all the gameplay aspects are tight and never frustrating, and the humor hits pretty consistently. I'm sure I'll open it back up from time to time just to run around and wreak some havoc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is there a drug trading game or anything like it in it?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is there a drug trading game or anything like it in it?

Nah, there's no drug references of any kind actually other than like steroid use.

There is some side stuff you can do but it's pretty light. Selling cars, robbing houses, that kind of stuff. I didn't really mess with it much though because you end up making an insane amount of money if you engage with the property management. By the time I finished the game I was raking in millions of dollars a day.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Kazy posted:

Put FFXI on the Switch you cowards

We’re only about 22 years away from the mobile version of FFXI coming out. Surely we’ll get a Switch port shortly after!

Can’t wait to run around murdering Quadavs in Gustaberg again. Bastok supremacy!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I got a secondhand Vita recently and I'm playing Castlevania SOTN on it and all the time I'm thinking "why isn't this on Switch :negative:"

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

CharlestheHammer posted:

America had literal playboy bunny models so I don’t think we can judge

noted children's entertainment Playboy Magazine

see thread title

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I got a secondhand Vita recently and I'm playing Castlevania SOTN on it and all the time I'm thinking "why isn't this on Switch :negative:"

The Castlevania collection is coming soon, but it doesn’t have SOTN.

:negative:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Gay Horney posted:

noted children's entertainment Playboy Magazine

see thread title

Wait who was arguing about children’s entertainment. No one made that argument.

You didn’t think this burn through very well huh?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

Disgraceful tbh. Are any of the games in that collection like SOTN? It's the only one I've properly played but I hear it's also the first one that's kinda open-ended ? I don't know

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

d3lness posted:

Labyrinth of Refrain is loving amazing. I too am an EO fan. Sadly there is no map drawing, but it's a brilliant mix of dungeon crawling and a flavor unique to Nipponichi.

P.S. FOE FOE FOE!

edit: Somebody best me to it. It's totally worth 50 in my books.

I'll happily take an auto-mapper in the eventual Switch EO games. Being able to add notes and such to a map is cool but having to draw the entire thing gets tedious.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Disgraceful tbh. Are any of the games in that collection like SOTN? It's the only one I've properly played but I hear it's also the first one that's kinda open-ended ? I don't know

no, none of the games in the collection are like SOTN. There are two major eras of Castlevania: Classicvania games – sets of linear side-scrolling levels (think Mega Man classic), and Metroidvanias – freeform exploration across a large map, as popularized by SOTN and Super Metroid.

The collection is all of the notable classic games before the SOTN era. Ideally, if it sells well then Konami will re-release some of the Metroidvania games.

With a few exceptions, the majority of the Metroidvania CV games were on handheld systems – first the GBA, then the DS. The producer of those games was Koji Igarashi, nicknamed Iga.

In 2014, Iga left Konami, which was part of a larger trend of beloved creative talent exiting the big Japanese companies (Kojima from Konami, Keiji Inafune from Capcom) to chart their own path. He launched a kickstarter for Bloodstained, which is a spiritual successor to SOTN – and is coming to the Switch very soon!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They've already announced two collections, they just haven't said what's on the second one yet. It's presumably some igavanias but I hope 64 legacy of darkness gets in

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

They've already announced two collections, they just haven't said what's on the second one yet. It's presumably some igavanias but I hope 64 legacy of darkness gets in

Joke's on you, it's going to be a bundle of the Lords of Shadow games.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Smirking_Serpent posted:

no, none of the games in the collection are like SOTN. There are two major eras of Castlevania: Classicvania games – sets of linear side-scrolling levels (think Mega Man classic), and Metroidvanias – freeform exploration across a large map, as popularized by SOTN and Super Metroid.

The collection is all of the notable classic games before the SOTN era. Ideally, if it sells well then Konami will re-release some of the Metroidvania games.

With a few exceptions, the majority of the Metroidvania CV games were on handheld systems – first the GBA, then the DS. The producer of those games was Koji Igarashi, nicknamed Iga.

In 2014, Iga left Konami, which was part of a larger trend of beloved creative talent exiting the big Japanese companies (Kojima from Konami, Keiji Inafune from Capcom) to chart their own path. He launched a kickstarter for Bloodstained, which is a spiritual successor to SOTN – and is coming to the Switch very soon!

I didn’t know he had anything to do with Bloodstained! That makes it an exciting buy for sure. The GBA and DS games were so good.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Your Computer posted:

e: if we're talking FFXII and anime I honestly think Ashe is worse. I hate that dumb outfit

The outfits in FF12 are incredibly out there. Even the citizens have a style that matches the player characters and it’s either this blend of techno royalty or mini skirts and leather straps and everyone’s shirt barely covers anything and everyone is super accessorized.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

not a bot posted:

I'm not sure what you mean about Awakenings template but what we know about Three Houses it's quite different from the 3DS ones.

The things that bugged me about Awakenings was the lack of mission variety (rout the enemy to win) and one-note poorly written characters, probably due to the fact that many of them had to match with one another to allow for the kids, which in itself was a weird thing that I wasn't crazy about. I didn't like how it encouraged grinding. Also the map design was crap. I know they fixed some of the gameplay stuff in some versions of Fates, but the writing got worse somehow.

Going through the 3DS FE's reminded me how much I had enjoyed the console ones, and how different they were at the same time.

It's true that we have no idea what Three Houses is going to be like, but if it avoids those pitfalls I'd be very happy.

The only thing that worries me is a more personal issue, but it seems to be very free with class-changes and skills acquired, which I know most people appreciate, but that just gives me analysis paralysis, which leads me to dropping games.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The outfits in FF12 are incredibly out there. Even the citizens have a style that matches the player characters and it’s either this blend of techno royalty or mini skirts and leather straps and everyone’s shirt barely covers anything and everyone is super accessorized.

Rob Liefield levels of pouches on leather bondage gear.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Kazy posted:

Put FFXI on the Switch you cowards

BGrifter posted:

We’re only about 22 years away from the mobile version of FFXI coming out. Surely we’ll get a Switch port shortly after!

Can’t wait to run around murdering Quadavs in Gustaberg again. Bastok supremacy!

I would go apeshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTIwBDNDO4M

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Another dead set of switch controllers. Goddamn the build wuality on these things is worse than a 360

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Barudak posted:

Another dead set of switch controllers. Goddamn the build wuality on these things is worse than a 360

They’re the first Nintendo controllers I’ve had break on me, let alone multiple times. Must have been Nintendium shortages when they were designing the Switch.:(

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Barudak posted:

How long did they last you? Are the issues limited to Joycons? Both sets of mine are still fine, but I admittedly try to never use them.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Your Computer posted:

if you think the bunny lady is too anime then I got some bad news about the Final Fantasy series for you

e: if we're talking FFXII and anime I honestly think Ashe is worse. I hate that dumb outfit

She reminds me of Sophia from Soul Calibur.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

PantsBandit posted:

Just finished up Shakedown Hawaii. Game clock puts me at 8 hours to finish the main story and buy up all the property on the island.

Had a lot of fun with it! It's not the deepest game ever, and the story is like...barely there at all. But the world is really charming and pleasant to explore, all the gameplay aspects are tight and never frustrating, and the humor hits pretty consistently. I'm sure I'll open it back up from time to time just to run around and wreak some havoc.

its capitalsm the game and its fun. although i wish there was a way to apply multipliers to multiple properties at once

yeah sure slap on a plastic bag fee and a convenience charge for my unrefined car subprime auto lending

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok so I’ve been playing BotW for a few days. I did Kakariko, Haetano, and I just finished up the Zora’s realm. I have all the zora armor and weapons and 5 hearts.

This game is really fun and seems super big. I really liked the sacred water elephant dungeon.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Picked up Cosmic Star Heroine since it's half-off, and it's pretty fun so far! Just finished Chapter 2, playing on second highest difficulty. Story and characters seem good, nothing mind-blowing but I definitely don't hate anyone so far so that's good, and the combat system's got enough to make each encounter interesting. Battles got a bit samey after a bit, but foes are still challenging enough to keep me on my toes, and I've certainly had some close victories (including my final character killing a 1HP boss with their last chance action). I'm sure things will pick up a bit once I get more abilities and characters.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

SeANMcBAY posted:

They’re the first Nintendo controllers I’ve had break on me, let alone multiple times. Must have been Nintendium shortages when they were designing the Switch.:(

Wow, I never realized the joy cons had issues outside of the left joycon issue from some of the launch versions. Good to know but that sucks.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Looked at my wishlist to see if anything I wanted was in the sale and saw Golf Peaks, which I forgot I had wishlisted or was a thing that existed. $3.50 and a few worlds later, it's a pretty clever puzzler with simple but nice presentation. I'm certain it will infuriate me once the puzzles actually get hard and I'll ragequit it forever.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I've been enjoying FFXII so far! The gambit system unlocked for me so I spent a bit running around the dungeon, everyone automated, at 4x speed and yeah, this will absolutely help with the grind. The turbo button is a great addition in general, all RPGs should have one imho. Sometimes you just want to get somewhere quick!

I can see why JRPG purists wouldn't like the (completely optional) gambit system, but I don't mind offloading healing to the AI. I'm sure as elemental damage comes into play I'll have to actively think about combat again but for now it's pretty awesome.

What's less awesome is the "oh cool a new item! Wait, I didn't have a licence for it." -> exit out of the shop menu -> get the licence -> go back to the shop menu -> buy item pattern. It's clunky, and could be easily solved by putting a shortcut to the licence boards in the shop menu, or allowing you to buy an item before you have the licence for it.

Other than that, though? I'm having a blast.

...my first two thoughts after the rabbit lady joined my party were "Christ, of course she's wearing a bikini bottom" and "well, at least she doesn't have a little tufted rabbit tail"

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 12, 2019

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok so I’ve been playing BotW for a few days. I did Kakariko, Haetano, and I just finished up the Zora’s realm. I have all the zora armor and weapons and 5 hearts.

This game is really fun and seems super big. I really liked the sacred water elephant dungeon.

it really is one of the best games ever made.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Some of the enemies seem utterly untouchable so far. Like I died to the Centuar Lion with the Shock Arrows like 10 times before I was like “oh they are just scattered everywhere”.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

How long did they last you? Are the issues limited to Joycons? Both sets of mine are still fine, but I admittedly try to never use them.

This set probably 8 months? I dont own other switch controllers so cant comment on them.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Spacebump posted:

Wow, I never realized the joy cons had issues outside of the left joycon issue from some of the launch versions. Good to know but that sucks.

Mine get interference from something in the apartment but seeing as the list of possibilities includes wifi enabled devices, phones, and tablets it could be an insane number of things.

Also aquariums

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cartoon Man posted:

SOTN got its thing on PS4 with Rondo of Blood.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I don't understand why the upcoming Contra collection doesn't have the NES version of the first game. It's cool it will have the arcade version but why not both? Isn't the NES Contra the most iconic game in the series?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Spacebump posted:

I don't understand why the upcoming Contra collection doesn't have the NES version of the first game. It's cool it will have the arcade version but why not both? Isn't the NES Contra the most iconic game in the series?

There are 4 unannounced games in the collection, so it's possible we're getting it. Because of the nature of the release, I don't foresee us getting Shattered Soldier and Neo Contra, so we might see NES Contra, Hard Corps, and, I dunno, Force and Operation C.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Spacebump posted:

Yes, and despite that you can count the number of times it's been rereleased on one finger

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fawf posted:

Yes, and despite that you can count the number of times it's been rereleased on one finger

Is there some weird rights issue? The NES version is better than the arcade one.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

PantsBandit posted:

I'm holding out for the 3DS port so I can have it alongside the definitive version of Retro City Rampage.:colbert:

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Some of the enemies seem utterly untouchable so far. Like I died to the Centuar Lion with the Shock Arrows like 10 times before I was like “oh they are just scattered everywhere”.

this reminds me that I gotta turn off master mode. I like the remixed enemy placement and the floating platforms, but the regenerating health and complete lack of first tier enemies makes it just too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fly Ricky posted:

I'm holding out for the 3DS port so I can have it alongside the definitive version of Retro City Rampage.:colbert:

Is it? I would have figured the Switch version would have been best since it was the latest.