Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

PostNouveau posted:

Matt Groening drew that himself.

Also Marge is based on his mother.

Imagine drawing a woman every day for 35 years before having to decide one day what her nipples look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

Imagine drawing a woman every day for 35 years deciding on day one what her nipples look like.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Bust Rodd posted:

Imagine drawing a woman every day for 35 years before having to decide one day what her nipples look like.

After 35 years they would be low points for sure

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

They need to start taking Emmys away. I wonder at what point, with all episodes taken into account, King of the Hill will objectively be better.

At this point it probably is. Even bad KotH is considerably better than bad Simpsons at this point and there were proportionately far fewer bad episodes of koth.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's harsh but I would support the idea of taking away awards from the Simpsons, if that doesn't work we need to start looking into vigilante justice to get them to stop

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

It's harsh but I would support the idea of taking away awards from the Simpsons, if that doesn't work we need to start looking into vigilante justice to get them to stop

Can you swing a sack of doorknobs?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Cubone posted:

I don't know why I keep assuming that you guys are making these up, the show is clearly just much, much dumber than I thought

quote:

The episode received positive reviews from critics. The A.V. Club gave the episode a B+ rating and praised Kelsey Grammer's voice-acting and the episode's "strong, straightforward narrative."

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
That episode was the worst thing to ever happen to Kelsey Grammer

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

PostNouveau posted:

Matt Groening drew that himself.

Matt can't actually draw the characters that well. He has some deal where they have to put his signature on every piece of Simpsons art regardless of if he drew it or not so I could see why you'd make that assumption.

Calaveron posted:

That episode was the worst thing to ever happen to Kelsey Grammer
Even the worst Simpsons episode is still better than An American Carol.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 12, 2019

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

:geno:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

J-Spot posted:

Even the worst Simpsons episode is still better than An American Carol.

I read this as An American Dad at first and readied the first salvo but I don't know what that other thing is so carry on

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Nobody better talk poo poo about A Christmas Story :mad:

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Nobody better talk poo poo about A Christmas Story :mad:

it's bad tommy

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I can’t believe they’d make such an obvious mistake - in season 4, episode 21, “Marge in Chains”, Marge has her picture taken by Apu next to a height chart that clearly shows she is 8ft 6in, including the hair

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Milo and POTUS posted:

At this point it probably is. Even bad KotH is considerably better than bad Simpsons at this point and there were proportionately far fewer bad episodes of koth.

Yeah, their episode descriptions sound like parodies:

quote:

Homer discovers Maggie can whistle. Meanwhile, Marge designs Fat Tony's brothel.

Guest stars: Nick Fascitelli as Professor Whistler

Wouldn’t mind seeing Groening go through a late career George Lucas re-evaluation and go from being king of a genre to weird out of touch crank. He’d still have infinite money so don’t think he’d mind.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I read this as An American Dad at first and readied the first salvo but I don't know what that other thing is so carry on

It’s a version of A Christmas Carol where Scrooge is a straw man liberal who is visited by right-wing spirits to show him the error of his ways.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

J-Spot posted:

It’s a version of A Christmas Carol where Scrooge is a straw man liberal who is visited by right-wing spirits to show him the error of his ways.

The really sad thing about that movie is it's made by the Zucker brothers of Airplane and Naked Gun fame. I think 9/11 must have broken their brains.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
In the new one, Mr. Burns cancels the insurance for the workers' kids. Marge puts Bart on a generic ADHD med, but it gives him a long variety of symptoms described on YouTube by either Werner Herzog or someone doing a Werner Herzog impression.

Marge takes him to a crystal healer. And it works.

So she goes back to the crystal healer and the lady is joining a cult so she gives Marge her whole inventory. Marge starts selling it out of the garage. There's a dream sequence about how happy Homer and Marge are with the money they're making set to "Crystal Blue Persuasion."

Lisa catches Bart cheating. Marge sets up a mall kiosk to compete with some other crystal huckster. Bart's cheating causes Marge to quit the crystal business.

There's a gag where Marge sends her mother to sabotage her competitor by saying "there's a Yoni egg in my somewhere. I think it's going to hatch." And then they cut back later and the competitor has pulled an egg out of her and Marge's mom is telling her "that's not the one I was thinking of."

Apparently, Ned is back to teaching Bart, even though they went to a rotation of teachers after trying Ned out like 2 seasons ago. They go to Dr. Nick at one point and he sounds nothing like Dr. Nick anymore.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PostNouveau posted:

In the new one, Mr. Burns cancels the insurance for the workers' kids. Marge puts Bart on a generic ADHD med, but it gives him a long variety of symptoms described on YouTube by either Werner Herzog or someone doing a Werner Herzog impression.

So she goes back to the crystal healer and the lady is joining a cult so she gives Marge her whole inventory. Marge starts selling it out of the garage. There's a dream sequence about how happy Homer and Marge are with the money they're making set to "Crystal Blue Persuasion."

Lisa catches Bart cheating. Marge sets up a mall kiosk to compete with some other crystal huckster. Bart's cheating causes Marge to quit the crystal business.

There's a gag where Marge sends her mother to sabotage her competitor by saying "there's a Yoni egg in my somewhere. I think it's going to hatch." And then they cut back later and the competitor has pulled an egg out of her and Marge's mom is telling her "that's not the one I was thinking of."

Apparently, Ned is back to teaching Bart, even though they went to a rotation of teachers after trying Ned out like 2 seasons ago. They go to Dr. Nick at one point and he sounds nothing like Dr. Nick anymore.

I feel like I had a stroke reading that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh good! So now the Simpsons is spreading FUD about generic medications

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I looked it up, and it was Werner Herzog. Also, the competing crystal saleswoman was a guest appearance by Jenny Slate.

Also, the episode was titled "Crystal Blue-Haired Persuasion", so they went to that well twice.

Zhumma
Aug 5, 2006
title text

PostNouveau posted:

B- from the brain geniuses at the avclub, sure sounds like another stellar outing from the jaundiced zombie squad. No loving way am I gonna watch it to find out, though.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

PostNouveau posted:

I looked it up, and it was Werner Herzog. Also, the competing crystal saleswoman was a guest appearance by Jenny Slate.

Also, the episode was titled "Crystal Blue-Haired Persuasion", so they went to that well twice.

Didn't they do a Breaking Bad opening parody with Crystal Blue Persuasion a few years back already?? So that's three times

Keep fuckin that chicken, guys

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

NiceGuy posted:

Didn't they do a Breaking Bad opening parody with Crystal Blue Persuasion a few years back already?? So that's three times

Keep fuckin that chicken, guys

Yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKePrVPGK3g

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

I like that homer does absolutely nothing in this, they just shoehorn him in so they can have him wearing the hat.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

im glad they put in the real breaking bad at the end, so you got the reference

beansnob
May 12, 2019

honking my pebis to the gorgeous babes
Marge actually shot Mr burns

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Season 11, Episode 8, "Brother's Little Helper":

Principal Skinner holds a Fire Prevention site at the Springfield Elementary Schoolyard. Then a skit featuring Ned and Maude Flanders goes awry. Suddenly, a tidal wave bursts out, which Bart rides a basketball hoop on having flooded the gym, drenching the school yard and saving Ned. Furious at the mess Bart made, Skinner has Homer and Marge come to the school, where they learn Bart has been diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD). Principal Skinner tells Marge and Homer that Bart must take a radical, untested new behavioral medicine called Focusyn or he will have to expel him.

After several failed attempts by Homer, Marge convinces Bart to take the medication and his behavior immediately improves, paying attention in school, being respectful to his parents, and tutoring a Navajo boy in his spare time. One night, however, Marge and Homer come home from a date to find Bart in his room wrapped in aluminum foil and coat hangers on the ceiling. Suffering from drug psychosis and paranoia, he claims Major League Baseball is spying on the town using a satellite. The doctors recommend that Bart go off Focusyn, but he refuses, swallows several handfuls of Focusyn and runs away.

Bart wanders onto a U.S. Army base and manages to hijack a tank. He cuts a swath of destruction through the town and eventually stops at the school. There, he points the tank's cannon into the sky and shoots down a Major League Baseball satellite; inside are detailed documents on everybody's behaviors. Mark McGwire appears, distracts the citizens with a long home run, and hides the evidence under his cap. Marge takes Bart off Focusyn for good and puts him back on Ritalin. Major League Baseball, however, still spies on the Simpson family due to an autographed bat McGwire gave Bart that has a hidden camera.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Plan Z posted:

Principal Skinner holds a Fire Prevention site at the Springfield Elementary Schoolyard. Then a skit featuring Ned and Maude Flanders goes awry. Suddenly, a tidal wave bursts out, which Bart rides a basketball hoop on having flooded the gym, drenching the school yard and saving Ned. Furious at the mess Bart made, Skinner has Homer and Marge come to the school, where they learn Bart has been diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD). Principal Skinner tells Marge and Homer that Bart must take a radical, untested new behavioral medicine called Focusyn or he will have to expel him.

After several failed attempts by Homer, Marge convinces Bart to take the medication and his behavior immediately improves, paying attention in school, being respectful to his parents, and tutoring a Navajo boy in his spare time. One night, however, Marge and Homer come home from a date to find Bart in his room wrapped in aluminum foil and coat hangers on the ceiling. Suffering from drug psychosis and paranoia, he claims Major League Baseball is spying on the town using a satellite. The doctors recommend that Bart go off Focusyn, but he refuses, swallows several handfuls of Focusyn and runs away.

Bart wanders onto a U.S. Army base and manages to hijack a tank. He cuts a swath of destruction through the town and eventually stops at the school. There, he points the tank's cannon into the sky and shoots down a Major League Baseball satellite; inside are detailed documents on everybody's behaviors. Mark McGwire appears, distracts the citizens with a long home run, and hides the evidence under his cap. Marge takes Bart off Focusyn for good and puts him back on Ritalin. Major League Baseball, however, still spies on the Simpson family due to an autographed bat McGwire gave Bart that has a hidden camera.

Jesus, even the episode they rehashed is barely better.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Plan Z posted:

Yeah, the new episode ignores the end of this one because the medicine they can't afford anymore is Focusyn, not Ritalin.

Also, the new one may get the disorder wrong, because I swear they say ADHD, not ADD.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

He's a cartoonist; I assume drawing nipples was the first thing on his mind.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The people writing the AV club episode reviews may have not actually been old enough to watch the Simpsons before season, like, 15.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

We have an official answer: the lowest point of the Simpsons is point five.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That's a shame BB slipped because it was a pretty drat good episode in an otherwise middling season.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

That's a shame BB slipped because it was a pretty drat good episode in an otherwise middling season.

Once you can see through a comedy's patterns, it gets a lot less effective. I feel like I've been able to see through Bob's Burgers for a couple of years. It's getting stale, especially when every episode is all the kids teaming up and doing something involving foiling Mr. Frond.

Louise seems to have lost her manic anarchist energy in the later seasons.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I never could get into BB since the voices are all obnoxious as hell to me.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I can't recall a recent Bob's Burgers episode I've outright hated.

I think the first season is one of the weakest since they were still working on characterization; Bob was more of a selfish no-fun guy whose primary focus was the restaurant and not the family. My least-favorite episode is probably the one where Tina joins the capoeira school, and Bob just wants her to quit the class and keep working instead, and also Bob poops his pants.

I think this season's been okay overall.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I never could get into BB since the voices are all obnoxious as hell to me.

Here's a bit from Family Guy that's actually pretty great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBDJF4EryN0

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I watched Bob’s Burgers super religiously until Season 6 when I realized that season’s 3-6 had just been the same 3 plots tossed in a salad spinner over and over again.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

DizzyBum posted:

I can't recall a recent Bob's Burgers episode I've outright hated.

I think the first season is one of the weakest since they were still working on characterization; Bob was more of a selfish no-fun guy whose primary focus was the restaurant and not the family. My least-favorite episode is probably the one where Tina joins the capoeira school, and Bob just wants her to quit the class and keep working instead, and also Bob poops his pants.

I think this season's been okay overall.

Here's a bit from Family Guy that's actually pretty great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBDJF4EryN0

FG haaaaaaates BB so much it's hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

PostNouveau posted:

Also, the new one may get the disorder wrong, because I swear they say ADHD, not ADD.
ADD no longer exists as a discrete disorder